Occidental College Top Questions

Kendall

Classes are small, professors know your name. My favorite classes were my 2 core classes frehsman year, one about renewable energy strategies taught by Adrian Hightower, and Conflict and contact in Los Angeles taught by Raul Villa and Regina Freer. The academic requirements are not out of line. most students participate in class. I am a student in the Urban and Environmental Policy major, which I believed is too focused on community organizing instead of environemntal or urban policy. It is a very unique major and I have found the professors to be very helpful. All three full time professors are engaged in research and organizing outside of school, which also helps to give the students of the major work and internship opportunies during the summer and after college.

Harper

I live at the theater. Our professors are kind but some of them are pretty full of themselves but I guess most theater professors are. I have taken some of the most interesting classes here at Occidental and if I had to name my favorite professor it would be Jeffery Tobin. He teaches in the CTSJ department and has always had my back. He is a great professor that doesn't get caught up in all the crap that is Occidental.

Brenan

Every semester there are academic ups and downs for me. Coming from a small, very competetive and rigorous high school, Occidental is easy for me. I easily recieve As or A-s every semester. (Unfortunately, the financial aid and scholarship department is so bad that this really doesn't reap any immediate benefits). Professors do know your name, and if they don't, it doesn't mean it's a bad class. Most classes are about 20 people, but some much smaller and some much bigger. Occidental has a rigorous Core Program that frustrates many first and second year students. However, I have found that if you take the class that sounds hard but interesting instead of the class that will purportedly give you an easy A, the Core Program can be a really valuable resource for extending your education into different fields. I must say I find the lack of student interest in their classes frustrating. There is usually little class participation and even less competition-- it's cooler to do your paper in 20 minutes before the deadline than it is to finish it 2 weeks ahead of time. All professors hold office hours and the large majority are very open to students coming to see them. There is also definitely grade inflation, but I imagine almost every campus in the U.S. experiences that.

Jay

In my opinion, academics is all what you put into it. If you put in the effort you will leave Oxy as a bright, knowledgeable person with many talents to offer the world. What is special about Oxy is you are able to go above an d beyond just putting in the effort. The professors are very approachable and when you utilyze them, that's when you'll get at Oxy that you can't get everywhere else.

Lily

Academics are Oxy's strong point. I have had amazing professors, especially in my major departments. Most of my teachers know my name, or at least recognize you enough to say hello. Professors are very accessible and willing to help. Oxy has a diverse faculty so you can really learn from Professors who are experts in thier field, and also have unique perspective on issues. Like at any college, your education is what you make of it at Oxy, but I would say most Oxy students do a lot of studying. Class participation is very importatn, and students definitely have intellectual conversations outside of campus. It's cool to be smart at Oxy. I am majoring in Diplomacy and World Affairs, and the department is stellar. Students are motivated, informed, and passionate about global politics and world issues. The professors are amazing and have all kinds of interesting international experience. We are required to take two years of a foreign language, so a large percentage study abroad. I think Oxy's academic requirements are great because they allow you to take interesting classes and have flexibility to fulfill them. We are required to take classes focusing on three different regions of the world which I think is very important to instill an understanding of different cultures and diversity. Oxy's education is truly a liberal arts education. You will graduate informed, inspired, and ready to take on the world.

After freshman year, all of my professors knew my name. Even in the "big" intro classes, which was really no bigger than 30 or 35 students, the professors got to know us all and personally graded our assignments. Participation is really important at Oxy at well, and is usually a portion of your grade as well.

John

Like I said before, one of the beauties of Oxy is the size. This means every professor you have knows your name, and also what kind of student you are. Knowing this allows the professors to help YOU with what you need help with, and not just out of class. Classes are on the a scale that allows teachers to change their teaching style in class to better suit the students. Not only arwe the teachers helpful in class, but they are also available outside of class for individual help during the week. If you are not able to see a teacher during the day though, in my experience all of them answer e-mails promptly. I am a double major in both Math and Physics, and I have to say both departments are outstanding. The administration has done a great job of bringing in professors with diverse backgrounds and styles that allow you to learn the most from your time here. As for the departments requirements, I cannot think of a way to change them that would make them any better. Both departments require you to learn the basic knowledge of the subject, and then go on and get a background in the more advanced topics in the subject, but thety allow you which advanced topics you want to choose. In the math department there is a wide variety of upper level courses you are able to take in your years at Oxy, which is great, and this leads me to the only criticism I have of the physics department. The upper level class catalogue is pretty small. Of course we have the required upper level courses like Quantum Mechanics, Math Methods, Advanced Electrodynamics, and Analytical Dynamics, but since the school is as small as it is, and physics the major that it is (small), there are not many people interested, or even qualified to take the upper level courses, which puts the teachers in a bind. In fact, the department can only offer one upper level "selective" per semester. To emphasize the situation, I am currently the only person at Oxy that would be eligible to take an advanced Quantum Mechanics course. In spite of this though, the professors are great, and very passionate about their jobs, it is a shame that more people are not interested in the subject.

Harper

As I mentioned above I really love to faculty at Oxy. Its so easy to get in touch with them...when I neede a rec for a summer internship I e-mailed 2 professors. Both responded within a day and were more than happy to help. I have gone in to go over essays, problem sets or just disuss the news with many of my professors, all of whom are eager to meet one on one (although the classes are so small sometimes, you get to know them well enough then). When I had mono earlier in the semester all my profs. were more than accomodating. My philosophy professor noticed that everyone was getting sick around March and brought muffins and orange juice to class one day!

kay

students often like to help each other out it is a supportive academic environment

The faculty at Oxy is always willing to help me outside of the classroom. I have had past professors help me edit papers for current classes. Professors are always willing to give excellent reading recommendations and ways to follow up on research projects. I have never had trouble with getting recommendation letters and my professors have always known me well enough that they can direct me towards programs that fit my interests.

Laura

The academics are amazing, that's really all there is to say

Andrea

Academics at Occidental is amazing. Teachers know your name, research opportunities are available immediately after starting school, internships and study abroad opportunities are readily available, everything is set around the individual student. Amazing. Classes aren't always the best but that's how it is at every school, some teachers are good, some aren't. Students study a good amount of time, but nothing unmanageable, just a bit more than high school. Class participation is must because the classes are so small but because there is no cutthroat competition, participating is not intimidating. Unfortunately the Biology program at Oxy isn't as great as I wouldn't hoped so I am facing possibly transferring, but many of the theater and international programs are amazing. I hated the Core requirements and the world areas we had to learn only because I wanted more classes I was actually interested in if I was paying for a private education that was supposed to cater to me. Education at Oxy is split between job prep and actual, conceptual learning, so whichever your choice is, you will be happy. I struggled with the actual class options at Oxy for students just starting out but the setup of registration and everything was always smooth for me.

Jessie

The academics are rigorous but doable. Depending on the class schdeule, ranging from classes everyday to classes only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, the amount of work every night varies. Students are not competitive and focus more on collaboration, despite the curve. Almost all professors will know your name by the end of the class. Some professors ask to take your picture in order to learn names, others take surveys to get to know their students. As part of the CORE requirement, freshmen have to take 2 semesters of a writing seminar. I took Challenges of College and Food Justice. Challenges of College was a psychology class focusing on issues faced by college students, including personality, depression, eating disorders, and stress. In Food Justice, we examined food deserts, organic and local foods, and food policy. My Food Justice class also took multiple field trips to talks at the California Endowment. We also ate an all farmer's market meal. We were asked to write a research paper in which we were required to do some original research. My specific topic, the Farm-to-School program, brought me to the Santa Monica School District in which my professor started the program. This was an amazing opportunity which has been extended to many students. At Occidental, the focus of the education is to produce students who will make a change. Their goal is to give students the knowledge to know what they want out of life and to have the ability to get it done.

Andy

the teachers are awesome.

Molly

I loved almost every teacher I had. They are insightful, active both in teaching and furthering their own academics through research and writing and very willing to challenge students. Mediocre will be graded as such. Teachers make great efforts to help students, provide them with feedback and support their growth as both students and individuals. Occidental will truly push you beyond what you believed to be your intellectual capacity.

Blake

I have met a lot of great professors here at Oxy that really know me. they are always passing along opportunities they hear about and are always writing great reccomendation letters for me. the senior comprehensive requirement is difficult (it really varies by major). The urban and environmental policy comps is super difficult but a rewarding experience (think a 70-100 page research paper).

Kristin

Professors are very accessible during and after their office hours. Most professors are easy to converse with and take an interest in their students' studies and lives. My favorite classes were usually my history classes, particularly my class that focused on the American Revolution. Other great classes were Islamic Thought, History of Medicine, Arabic classes. Students often discuss theoretical issues outside of class, particularly about the Race and Theory classes. The history department is a good size for the school and consists mainly of female professors. There is an emphasis on more current history, from the 1700s onward, and fewer classes on history before this time. I tried to take classes outside the department for history before the 1700s.

Chelsea

In general, classes at Oxy are very hard/challenging. If you aren't a math or science person and are forced to take one of the classes to fill a core requirement, you're basically screwed. Every class has a ton of reading but you can sometimes get out of doing a lot of it, given you understand basic concepts.

Alex

Professors are very accessible and easy to talk to (for the most part). If you make the effort to see a professor in office hours she/he is very willing to help. Class participation is very common and all of my professors have known me by name.

Beth

Professors definetly know your name, and the courses are not easy. All of my courses were under about 25 people. If you miss more than about three classes in a row, don't be surprised to get an email from your professor. You can't skip class for weeks in a row and not get noticted like in a large university class of 500 people. Students tend to study quite a bit and can be competitive. The biology department is fabulous! It is easy to get a job in a research lab that you are interested in. My favourite classes were vertebrate physiology, animal behviour, ecology, and biological oceanography. I also recommend taking an Art History course. It is a fun way to get your fine arts and history requirement done. Memorizing paintings and sculptures is much more fun than memorizing faceless dates in history. The only downside to a smaller schools is that there may not be as many specialized upper level courses( such as Advanced comparative physiology, or marine mammalology) because ther isn't a large enough student demand. However, you can always do an independent study and create your own course with a professor.

Jody

The classes are small. I haven't had one bigger than about 30 students. The professors really take the time to know who you are so they call you in class by name and know a little bit about you. Participation tends to depend on the class and teaching style. I know that many people study really hard, especially for the really difficult classes like Organic Chemistry. My friends and I have intellectual conversations outside of class, but I don't know about everyone else. I found the Cultural Studies Program classes can be really amazing! My first semester class was called "Disneyland and Los Angeles". The professor was really good and I found the class very interesting! I'm a biology major with a marine emphasis. Its a difficult major because there are so many requirements. Its also hard because I've been considering veterinary school and I have those requirements on top of Oxy's, it is doable though.

Christina

Academics at Oxy are truely centered on the individual student. All of my professors have known me by name, and most have frequent office hours, and are willing to meet with you whenever if you call or email them. The workload is tough, and students definitely study and work hard, and during finals the library is sure to be packed. The work is manageable however, and students have time for fun. Class participation, especially in the social sciences is all but required, and in many classes it will be a component of your grade. The freshman Living and Learning Communities are also unique to Oxy, and while opinions I have heard are mixed, my freshman writing seminar taught by Prof. Dumenil, head of the History department has been my favorite class at Oxy, and I'm not even a history major! The Diplomacy and World Affairs department which is my major, at the moment is a little bit of a mess. There are not enough faculty members and the classes are often concentrated in one discipline of a much broader realm of global affairs. If I were to suggest one department that really stands out as unique to Occidental, it would be Urban and Environmental Policy, which focuses on hands-on community based learning, and uses the resources of Los Angeles to its full advantage.

Harper

Every professor I have had here knows me by name. They are available during office hours and then some. Class participation is pretty common and the professors are fairly engaging. As for the ease of classes, there is really no such thing as an easy class at Oxy. Expect plenty of work outside of class once you advance beyond the 101's. The library is usually pretty packed on most nights, and there is almost no room to breath in their during finals. Students tend to pretty competitive with grades as well. The English, Politics, and Econ departments seem to be most competitive, and a lot of students in those areas tend to be pretty arrogant and self righteous.

Anna

I have had some fantastic professors as well as some mediocre ones. There have been some who have actively tried to get to know their students, and some who behave as if they are speaking to a room full of empty chairs. In particular, my classes with Dale Wright, Warren Montag, Roberta Mancuso, Brian Fitzmorris, and John Bouchard were some of my favorites. They were intellectually stimulating at all times and I feel as if I've grown into a much more well-rounded person because of them. In my four years at Oxy, I have been continually disappointed by the level of class participation in practically every class I've taken. I don't know if it's because students just don't do the work, or if no one has a desire to speak, but the silence that falls after a professor directs a question at the class is, to me, unbearable and quite rude. Why go to class at all if you're not there to discuss and participate in your own learning?

Laura

All my professors know me by name, which makes it harder to skip a class if I want to, as I always feel bad. They are realistic though and know we are just college students who will do what we want and still always get our work done. The professors are easily accessible and always willing to help. The most unique class I took was probably the kinesiology lab with stuart rugg. I'm not even a science major, but it was so interesting and so much fun because he is such an amazing professor. While the requirements take a bit of time to fulfill, they really do help one get the full liberal arts experience which is one of the big drawing points for this school. I would say the education at Oxy is geared more toward learning for its own sake and not for getting a job, unlike other really intense schools like CMC, for example, which I know takes the whole job thing too seriously.

Molly

I think think the academics at Oxy set it apart from other similar institutions in that the professors are truly there first and foremost for the students. Not only do professors know you're name, they take the time to know what you are involved in on campus as well as to know what makes you tick as a student and a young adult. Classes are small, which I love, and class participation is a must. I have never personally felt the need to compete with my classmates and there's nit a ton on palpable academic pressure on campus.

Vicky

chemistry= tough. pretty competitive in the sense that it's challenging. pretty geared toward individual success though- students helpful towards each other.

Erik

Academically, Occidental is a dream school for those motivated and dedicated to education. I have yet to be in a class of more than 20 people and I have one class with only 9,; most of my classes contain 15 students. Because of the small class size, class participation is not only encouraged, it's pretty much mandatory. The professors expect that each student come to class prepared to articulate their ideas and defend their positions. The professors know everyone's name within a week, and will remember you for many semesters past. All professors have office hours where they are requried to stay in their office and be available to you. I have never waited to meet with a professor, and had more than enough opportunities for indiviudal attention. Professors are extremely nice and flexible, they respond to email roughly any time a day (or night) and are happy to help you whenever or however they can. I recently met with my Chemistry professor out of class for 3 hours to review a laboratory procedure. I am a Biochemistry major, which is really a hybrid department between Biology and Chemistry (it has no physical location). As a liberal arts College, Occidental ensures that you are well prepared for a modern carreer spanning multipile fields and requiring many cross-disciplinary skills. Everyone has to take a substantial amount of art/history/english classes as well as science/math/logic classes in order to graduate. It's really fantastic. Although I'm a die-hard science major, I still develop excellent writting and critical reading skills from my Imperial China history class. Occidental also ensures that you have a high degree of competency in your own subject area of expertise. In Biochemistry, there is a set of senior requirements called comprehensives. These consist of a series of rigorous standarized tests that must be passed (in our case the ACS Biochemistry Exam) and an hour presentation on a research topic in which fellow students and professor's cross-examine you afterwards. A poor preformance will result in failure to matriculate from the college. Although very stressful, Oxy seniors become students with graduate level depth knowledge and intuition to boot. While both the major requeirements (especially in the sciences where many classes are very sequential) and the general college requirements can seem a bit onerous, especially for the courses outside of my comfort zone (art/history/english) I feel confident in my ability to think critically in any field and articulate myself effectively. One of the best things about being a science major at Occidental is the Undergraduate Research. The college places a huge emphasis on research at Oxy; at the Southern California Conference for Undergraduate Research the way we are represented you would think that Occidental is the size of a UC. Nearly every science major is engaged in research during the school year and/ro the summer. It is truely a priviledge to get to work several hours a week one on one with my professor outside of class. The professors really become more than just advisors, they become friends and mentors. I honestly look forward to asking my professors for letters of reccomendation because I feel that they know me well. The other unique component of our research is that it is primarily student driven. Research isn't just work as minions of the Professors' project; we come up with our own projects, write our own proposals, and research what we're interested in! Education at Occidental is divergent from many larger research universities in that I view Occidental as a prep-Graduate school. If you're only planning on going to college for four years and then going on to a job, Occidental may not be for you. The environment is geared towards learning for its own sake with a strong emphasis on continuing higher eduation. One of the things that drew me towards Occidental, is that students are much more about teamwork than they are about competition. Everyone really works to help everyone succeed. In my chemistry class, for example, everyone gets together before a problem set and we go over the problems together, correct and help each other, and learn (and the Professors encourage collaboration!). I don't think I've yet had a class where I am not frequently engaged in intellectual discussions with my classmates. Although the academic environment may seem relaxed, Professors hold students to high standards. Occidental is known to have grade deflation, or a higher proportion of B's and C's than is the norm.

Professors are always willing to make time to meet with students. They all have office hours and will make extra time if you can't come to them. Most of my professors have gotten to know me by name, even in some of my larger classes. I'm a film major and spanish minor, and I've been pretty pleased with both departments. A lot of the critical film classes focus on more abstract, experimental film rather than main-stream American stuff. The production classes let you do whatever you want, they are just loose guides to how to make a film. Spanish is pretty typical, we have some really great professors and a couple not so great ones, but there are conversation classes for every language so you can keep up your speaking skills and the upper-level classes are pretty interesting. Most students study every week-night, but amount of time varies depending on class schedules. I'd say I work an average of 12 hours per week outside of class. A lot of students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. If you learn something in a class that you think is interesting, most people are interested to learn about it as well and to discuss it. Class participation is pretty common. It depends on the class, but in general there are lots of opportunities to speak up or have a dialogue. Students aren't very competetive, everybody just wants to help everybody do well. I think for the most part, learning at Oxy is geared toward learning for its own sake rather than getting a job, but I've taken a lot of film, spanish, and physics classes, so I'm not so sure about the other departments. The requirements at Oxy are pretty easy to meet and they think they encourage you to take a wide variety of classes, which is great.

Ryan

The academic climate is pretty competitive, but only if you make it that way. Certain students really push themselves to do well while others don't. So you can make it what you want. Most classes are pretty tough but not impossible. If you work hard you can get an A, but it generally won't be given to you. The professors are outstanding and I admire them so much. They are inspiring and truly make the academics at Oxy so strong. Of course some profs are idiots, but for the most part the profs are really impressive. I love the Art History and Visual Arts department and I think that we have some of the most brilliant people teaching our art classes. Same goes for English and Comparative Lit Studies.

Leigh

Professors usually know your name, especially if you talk in class. There aren't really any classes taught by TA's. It's all real professors. There are some competitive students and some who are less competitive. The school requirements are pretty simple and easy to fulfill unless you're a science major.

Kendall

Small professor to student ratio. Professors know you on a first name basis, and they are available anytime for office hours. Liberal arts education, so not many exclusive majors. School is known for its Diplomacy in World Affairs program, which the CIA has been known to recruit directly from the department. In class environment is very intense, students are very competitive and intense. Cheating of any form is a zero tolerance policy. Professors have social events outside of class (ex. BBQ's, field trips). Academic requirements are challenging, but rewarding when accomplished. Education geared for career opportunities but also for learning on an equal priority.

The relationships built with the terrific professors is astounding. Every professor knows my name and is never hesitant to come to watch me dance in dance shows and sporting events. Students have a lot of drive but because of the size we help each other and unhealthy competition is very rare.

Max

Classes are consistently small.The largest classes are in the Diplomacy.. department because its so popular. All of my classes this semester are 15 kids or less. It's very nice. There are a lot of radical, critical and progressive courses offered on campus, but at the same time, departments lack options and depth, leaving out ancient history and latin american art, etc. Professors are, from my experiences, very very good. I've followed the advice of an uperclassmen who suggested I pick classes based on the prof and not the title. They make themselves accessible too--good stuff. A lot of students don't give a shit about school and skip, while others have deep discussions about theory outside of class. Students aren't too competitive, just determined....some of us.

Matthew

The academics are fairly tough. The small class sizes allow you to get to know your teacher and seek out extra help. Most teachers are more than willing to help out you on the side. The classes though seem to be geared more toward getting a good and well-rounded education, instead of preparing you for a job once you graduate.

Emma

Academics at Oxy are what you make it and what classes you decide to take. I have friends that have hours of homework and others that do virtually nothing. In class, the size is really nice. I was never someone who talked during class but now I feel really comfortable because it is so small and the teachers know us all pretty well. I had a really good collegiate sexualities class that was really interesting. Some people do complain about some teachers and you kind of know who to avoid once you come here. But, for the most part, the classes are interesting and people get pretty passionate in debates.

Daniel

The professors at Occidental are great. professors ALWAYS know your name, as class sizes are small. participation is common in class, and is usually vital to the class' momentum. I suppose I can tell you a bit about the music department. First of all, there is ALWAYS something going on at Booth Hall, the music building. there are concerts almost every weekend, and often on weekdays too. the professors are fun, intelligent, and good at teaching. i've spent time with some of them outside of class time too, going to concerts that they put on in the community, etc. they are really cool people. I think that is an aspect about most of Oxy's professors: they are are professors AND real people, with real lives and families and interests. What's great is that they are willing to share that with you, and to get to know you.

Erin

My professors allknow my name. This can be both a blessing and a curse. For me, I attend all of my classes and give my best effort at all of them. The appreciation I receive from my professors is reward enough for me, no matter what my final grade is. If you are someone who is looking for a college where you can skip classes or get good grades really easily, this school is not for you. Every grade I have earned has been the result of really hard work. Some of the classes I have worked the hardest in have been the ones in which I have gotten the lowest grade. But I also learned the most in these classes as well. Oxy is not the type of college you can just cruise through. The education you receive here is worth every penny it costs to go here.

Grace

Classes are small and it's great. Lectures are personal and you will participate in discussion a lot. Students are competitive in that they care about succeeding but like to work together, cooperate on stuff, and are willing to help each other out. Students spend a lot of time studying and doing school work

Virginia

One of the reasons I love being at a small school is that you really get to know your professors and classmates. With the exception of a couple of intro classes that meet core requirements, almost all of my classes have had less than 20 students. Most classes are very discussion -oriented, and professors are very accessible for outside help, discussions, etc. I have had some amazing conversations with professors and other students stemming from class assignments. I was also impressed at how everything seems very integrated, all of my core classes (even science classes!) were interesting to me and connected to something else that I was studying in another class. The cool thing is that everyone knows that studying is a priority. People are very understanding if you have to decline to do something in order to study. We're all a little nerdy, even if it's deep down! The theater department is amazing-it's definitely a community. Everyone kind of hangs out in there, so you're always running into other students and professors. The department-produced shows involve as many students as possible, and student projects are often also going on. The New Play Festival in February is written, produced, acted, designed, stage managed by students, and directed by professional directors. It's an awesome networking opportunity, and fun to see classmates' plays being fully produced with lights, sound, costumes, etc by other students!

All courses are taught by professors. Classes are at most 40 students large, but that's only the introductory courses. Beyond those course, the teacher-student ratio drops. I've been in a class with about 6 students, but it all averages out to about 12 students. Across the board (so regardless of classes for my major or ones to fulfill requirements), the best courses I've taken have been with professors who are excited about their subject. Oxy has a website to rate professors (www.oxyexchange.com) and a section within RateMyProfessors.com to find out what past students thought about particular professors. The ratio of in-class time to studying is generally a 1:2 ratio. So if a class meets for 3 hours a week, there's generally about 6 hours of work that you need to do on your own time. (I think that's the biggest difference from high school to college. The expectations are higher.) The library is a great resource for information/a fun hangout at night during exam time and has some great studying places throughout the four floors. Most classes encourage some sort of participation aspect, however it's less common in intro courses and science based course. All professors welcome questions both in and out of class. They are required to have and post their office hours and are easily accessable by email. Something that's cool about Oxy is that they help house all faculty to live within 5-10 minutes of campus. I've definitely seen some professors at the local eateries and grocery stores. It's common to continue class conversations outside the classroom itself, either with classmates or with the professor him/herself. There is a certain level of academic excellence expected by the school as well as within most students. However, the competitiveness usually stems from students themselves, so if you don't want to be then you don't have to. One of my favorite classes was Psychology 110: Intergroup Dialogue on Gender. It consisted of 12 students and 2 student moderators. We'd meet for 3 hours once a week and talk about our experiences through the lens of our gender while referencing readings. I had an opportunity to meet 11 other individuals and learn a lot about their perspective as individuals and in the context of their social identities (race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, age, gender, sexuality). It was an elective course I took which also helped fulfill my major requirements as a psychology major. The psychology department as a whole includes an eclectic group of professors. They're generally very friendly, a bit quirky, each with different fields of interst and expertise.

Kevin

As a small liberal arts college, the academics at Oxy are certainly more geared toward learning for its own sake, but thats not to say you can't find guidance in terms of a carreer while still at school here--you just have to go out of your way a little. I feel, though, that this really stimulates the intellectual community, the discussions in class and just around campus in general. More and more I feel like I'm going to a place where a lot of people are really serious about learning, something I think is surprisingly rare on campuses everywhere. A big factor in all of this is the fact that we are able to work so closely with our professors. I've never had a professor who didn't know my name (just this year as a graduating senior, in fact, I ran into 3 of them again who remembered me from my first year here and struck up a genuine conversation) and I know quite a few professors who I've never even taken classes with.

claire

Classes are small usually about 10-30 students and professors are always willing to meet with you if you have a question. Keeping your grades up at Oxy is hard work. The library is pretty crowded especially when there are mid-terms, finals, and research papers due. The ratio for time spent in class to hours spent outside class doing work is 1:3. Some professors love to hear themselves talk so it can be hard to get your 2 cents in but other teachers encourage students to ask questions and comment on a topic. Being a freshman I haven't had the opportunity to take a variety of classes but the most unique class I have taken is a core class I am currently taking called Energy, the Earth, and Sustainability. We have read books and articles about renewable energy sources and for our research papers everyone chooses a renewable energy source writes 10 pages and presents a powerpoint. It is really interesting to hear about all these different solutions to our dependence on oil and the teacher is enthusiastic about the material, which always makes a subject easier. My major is Urban and Environmental Policy (UEP). UEP typically gets the rap of being the "hippie major". It is a really interesting subject especially nowadays with our finite supply of oil and politics being more concerned with energy bills than in previous years. Oxy is a liberal arts school so there are a few requirements: fine arts pre-1800 lab science other science/math other science/math fall writing seminar (CSP) spring global issues seminar (CSP) 3 of 6 areas: africa/middle east, central/south/east asia, europe, latin america, US, intercultural first year writing third year writing foreign language (up to 102) some of these requirements you can test out of with AP credits and the CSP seminars are taken during freshman year.

Tess

Most of the professors that I have taken classes from have known my name unless I didn't really feel it was necessary for them to know it. What I mean by this, is that there were some classes where I didn't really participate and didn't ask questions outside of class and if I had, I'm sure the professors would have recognized me. The fact that there were some classes I didn't participate in doesn't mean that I don't participate now. Since this is my second semester here, I have begun to say more in class, I think because I have gotten used to the atmosphere and felt more at ease. I've also realized that because I go to school with such intelligent people, it makes it easier to say things in class because everyone else is so willing to contribute to the discussion. For the most part, students aren't competitive in the sense that I might feel intimidated or worried that I am not getting good enough grades. Most people work hard at what they do and in they end they get good grades, but the whole school isn't spending every waking hour in the library studying. I just recently declared my major as Psychology and I am going to minor in Critical Theory and Social Justice. My advisor for Psychology is a professor that I had for my Methods in Psychology class so I know her and she knows me. She is head of the department and I really feel like she knows what she is talking about and will give me the best advice. As for spending time outside of the classroom with my professors, I've never done that, but certainly know students that have, including my roommate. The education here at Occidental is really aimed toward learning for it's own sake but that doesn't mean that the school doesn't provide plenty of opportunities to have internships and help you get ready for life outside of college.

Sam

The small class sizes and closeness of community make for an excellent place to learn for job experience or for just learning and expanding your mind. What else needs to be said?

Kayla

Academics at Oxy are quite good, the classes are relatively small, and the professors will definitely know your name. There is a pretty limited selection of courses each semester but that's to be expected in a small school. Registration ca be tough-you have to really fight for the classes you want. A great thing about Oxy is that although it is an intellectual school, it is not a competitive school. The folks here are fairly laid back.

Sierra

I know all my professors by name and they know my name. When I send them emails about a paper or an up coming exam, I can count on a response within twenty four hours, and its extremely personalized. They courses are rigorus but not extcurtiating and the professors legitamently want you to do well in the course. All the professors are really excited about what they teach and if you show interest in their subject they will be more than willing to help you figure out how you can do your best in their class.

Jesse

While it may sound better to say you go to an ivy league school, that may often be code for "my professors are here to do research/teach in the graduate school and don't really care about me." At Oxy, the professors are here because they want to teach undergraduates at a small liberal arts school. Period. They are devoted. They are committed. Always.

Austin

All my professors know my name and still talk to me after the class is over. My favorite class so far has been my Philosophy 330 class on Globalization and Justice. My least favorite has been Cognitive Science 101. Studying depends on your ability to manage your time. Class participation depends on the class and teacher. But for the most part it is college, people want to learn. Intellectual conversations are constantly occuring outside of the classroom. At least for me. Things about international relations, diversity, race, gender, ethnicity, meaning of life... The classes are challenging and therefore students compete with the class itself. Diplomacy and World Affairs is my major and department. The academics is geared toward expanding ones knowledge on the subject. And a huge emphasis on writing skills is present and makes students better writers.

Eileen

The small class size is a real benefit to the school. All of my professors know me personally, and that helps to create a lot of opportunity. For example, students have the ability to conduct research with their professors during their time here, giving us great experience and a positive points on a resume. There are many interesting classes here that you would never find at other, especially larger schools. It can sometimes seem like a burden to fulfill the core requirements, but you get to experiment in various departments and perhaps find subjects you didn't know you are interested in.