Occidental College Top Questions

Occidental College "Hard to Get" dance production.

Oxy Hillel.

Four students perform in an Occidental dance production.

Video from Occidental College's Apollo Night.

Kendall

Many people are involved in clubs and sports, football, basketball, rugby, baseball/softball, soccer, etc. There isnt'a very prevalent intremural program, but it's growing. On the weekends people party, we work hard we play hard. Fraternities and sororities aren't that important, they are places for people to make social connections. A saturday night if you're not drinking- it's pretty easy to get off campus to see a movie, but the school doesn't have too many porgrams over the weekends. Occassionaly we have dances, plays, concerts, but not every weekend.

The social life is lame. My freshmen year there was potential but the administration does its best to make sure the students have as little fun as possible. Don't be fooled, we may have school dances but nothing is like it used to be. Our neighbors are awful. You think they would understand that this is a college town and that noise is expected but most parties get broken up at 11 pm. lame

Brenan

The social scene is extremely varied. I suppose I'll speak for the Theater Department and say that not enough people from campus come to the shows! That's true, I suppose, for most of the events on campus, including speakers, art shows, movies, fundraisers, even though oftentimes advertising is good for these events. In my experience drinking is the main party activity, though I do have some friends who don't drink and I have gone through long periods of sobriety myself. It's possible to find things to do, but hard! If you don't drink, you will probably find yourself around people who are drinking and let's be honest, peer pressure does exist. If you have a strong will, you'll be fine. In my experience, marijuana is the second most prevalent drug on campus. I've heard some whispers about cocaine, but I've never seen it around. Off campus offers many opportunities-- beach, Hollywood, Disneyland, Pasadena, hiking, shopping... but a car, bike or bus is needed despite some limited school-provided transportation.

Jay

There are a ton of clubs and groups to join at Oxy. And the beautiful thing is, if there isn't a specific group you are looking for, you can easily start one on your own!

The most social events on Campus, like many other schools, are the football games. In addition to these though we have school sponsored dances, usually at least every other weekend, and there are also parties on most weekends, you just need to find out where they are. In addition to the football team we have all of the normal varsity sports, and if we dont have what you wnat, there may already be a club team, and if not, students can start one. Greek organizations, althought they do exist at some level here, are not as important as they are elsewhere. As for what to do, essentially any day of the week, well, it is only limited to what you can think of. If you cant find somewhere on campus to do something, we are located right outside of LA with plenty of things located close by.

I run track with the most amazing group of people and coaches ever. We really have a lot of fun (go out to dinner after practice regularly...make tie dye shirts before meets). It would be nice if more of the student body came to our meets but that is kind of the nature of the sport. Most people go to football and basketball games. My friend died his sideburns orange for a basketball game another friend wore a tiget outfit. I would say spirit is pretty strong and enthusiastic. Greek life is not that popular at Oxy. About 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students participate. I think they have a good time...social events and can food drives seem to be their regular gigs. If I was awake at 2 am I would most likely be in my friends room working or at taco truck getting some tasty food or...at the library. I remember when I was applying to schools I thought about whether I would be happy there or not more than about the academics. Oxy has rigorous academics (for the most part , there are some easier majors I hear) that involve writing a lot of papers and doing a lot of presentations. If you aren't into academics Oxy is not the school for you. There are a lot of resources for students, tutoring and such.

lots of clubs...tings to do...small greek life though

There are a bunch of clubs on campus and you can always make your own too. Pretty boring... let's see dorm rooms are crazy and fun and always alive. Doors are left open and people go from room to room. The dating scene is funny, but not too serious when college first starts out... typical "hooking up" at parties and meeting a ton of different people is what it's all about at this stage in the game. My closest friends were my roommates in my quads that just sort of happened from meeting each other the first day of school and just sticking together. On a Tuesday at 2am I am trying to go to bed for an 8am class but the odds are one of the guys is trying to sneak into my room (the door is always unlocked) to try to use my microwave, which is not only loud but lights up, and once I am awake again I am forced to gossip and talk until I finally am too tired and HAVE to go to sleep for that class. People party every weekend if they're into it. I was into partying and was never really let down by a lack of partied because your friends are always right there with you to take some shots and chill in the dorm. Other theme parties and such are fun and sometimes thrown by the Oxy Programming Board and those are always fun as long as there is some pre-gaming involved, and there almost always is. If you don't drink you can: go out to dinner, watch movies, go to Santa Monica, go shopping in Glendale or Downtown Pasadena, get ice cream, go to farmer's market, or just hang out with friends which is as good as anything else already listed. Off campus the options are endless really, we're talking Eagle Rock/LA here.

Occidental offers numerous clubs and activities encompassing various interests, including outdoor experiences, organic and local cooking, mentoring programs, and bad movies. Musicians, authors, and organizers are frequent guests on campus. The social life generally consists of off-campus parties and school functions. Every year there are many dances including "Nurses and Doctors (put on by Delta)," Sex on the Beach, and the Winter Formal. Although present, the Greek Life is not intimidating in the least. About 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the campus is involved in Greek Life. With LA at our fingertips it is not uncommon for the weekends to consist of day trips to either the Huntington Gardens, various museums, or the ever popular beaches. At night, however, the campus is active, often consisting of off-campus parties or on campus events. For those who prefer a low-key social life, there are plenty of locations available for get together. For those who prefer not to drink, there is no pressure.

its what you want it to be. you can party or stay in or watch movies. it really is what you make it.

a good amout of drinking, etc. (if it was more, i dont know how you would handle your academic load). after junior year you are ready to explore the off campus social scene (over the oxy party scene) and luckily we're in la, so theres lots of stuff to do

The most popular clubs on campus are BSA and Mecha ALAS the black and Latino clubs. They consistantly hold the most members. There are various other clubs, such as LGBT club, religious groups, theatre clubs, volunteer groups, and others. Students are pretty social and hang out within their dorms and off campus at houses rented by students. People usually party on Friday and Saturday, with music blasting throughout the week. There are about 5 frats and sororities and are relatively present on campus. On the weekends people either party or go off campus throughout LA to a variety of venues.

Parties at Occidental are all the same and generally occur on or around campus. Student government sponsored events are always lame, although not for lack of effort (more to do with lack of funding). There are tons of clubs though, and being involved in clubs is a great way to get active on campus and participate in events off-campus.

Beth

I think that the social life is typical to most universities with parties and hanging out on the weekends. However, if you crave huge frat/sority parties a UC would be more your style. Students usually left their dorm doors open and there are endless activities organized by everyone from student government to the ultimate frisbee club. Sports are not an emphasis at Oxy like some of the larger universities( from my point of view) When I was at Oxy we had several big name guest speakers such as Jane Goodall and Michael Moore.

Jody

Sports events are pretty well attended, especially Football, Rugby, Water Polo, and Ultimate Frisbee. There are many clubs. I'm part of Bad Movie Club, Dance Productions, Health Professions Interest Group, and a few others. Dance Productions is really amazing, it's all student choreography and dancing. Its also the most widely attended event on campus. The dorms are good for meeting people, especially if you go to hall spreads. I met one of my friends by leaving my door open and he just dropped in to introduce himself. The rest of my friends I met at the orientation events or through some people that I met earlier. I think people party quite a bit, I was in a quieter dorm so I didn't see it much which is good because it's not my scene. But if you like partying, you can always find one. If you don't like drinking you can go off campus and find something to do or just hang out with some people who aren't drinking either. Off campus I go to restaurants, go to the beach, go to a theme park, go to a movie, go shopping, the possibilities are really endless. Most of the time though my friends and I are on campus studying.

There are plenty of organisations on campus and all are very accessible. The Oxy Weekly is a great way to get involved on campus and stay updated about whats going on around campus. In most dorms students leave their doors open, in others, the doors close automatically, but it is never weird to simply knock on a door. Athletic events can be well-attended, but generally are relatively quiet. Big name guest speakers are very well-attended and often are talked about afterwords throughout the community. In terms of dating and close friendships at Oxy, it can often get messy because, since the school is so small, you are guaranteed to see whoever your trying to avoid when you go to the marketplace for breakfast. Meeting people is not hard at Oxy, but it takes a little while to find people you feel really comfortable with, but be friendly and it will happen. Frats and Sororities are a presence on campus, but not a big one and the scene is totally inclusive. Frat and Sorority parties are open to everyone and the vast majority of people who go are not greek.

The campus social life is very good, and their are always parties going on at houses around the campus and on campus during weekends, and a fair amount during the week as well. The campus safety officers are pretty lenient and fair with everything and are easy going most of the time. The Greek scene isn't very large as there are only two frats, three sororities, and one frarority at the campus.

Everyone can do whatever they want. You can be involved in sports, theater, greek life, clubs, etc. Yuo can do all of the above and it's totally normal because everyone wants to be involved and it's a great way to get to know people. I met my closest friends either because i lived near them or through other friends. People party fairly frequently i'd say, and the greek life here is something taht everyone can enjoy and isn't something we look down upon. Taco Truck's make for an amazing 2am excursion!

There's a lot of Oxy pride to be had among the students, faculty, and outside community. Sports games (especially football) are huge and Oxy always works hard to put on fun events on and off campus. By the time you're a junior though, those activities can get old, so you go into downtown L.A. to have your fun. House parties are on every weekend, and many people make that their scene. Programing board, clubs and Greek organizations put on dances and events such as speakers, lectures, panels, improv, and various "explore L.A" options. The dating scene kind of blows to be honest. There are random hookups or serious relationships: no real dating goes on at Oxy.

Vicky

intervarsity christian fellowship = the bomb. frats and sororities aren't too important, but they're good for networking and making friends. tons of things to do in LA. just grab a friend, a car, and go someplace. don't drink unless you really need to!

Erik

There is a significant variety of extra curricular clubs/teams/groups on campus. What is nice though is that anyone can easily set up a club, get funding, and get started to explore any niche not yet met. The fact that I started up a parliamentary debate club this year is proof that you don't need an in depth knowledge of the inner workings of Student Government to get things done. The administration makes it clear and easy for any group/club to schedule, plan events, advertise, and get funded. One group that I'm involved with, which I think really reflects Occidental is SSAP (Scientific Scholars Achievement Program). Here I tutor/mentor students who are struggling in the Math and Sciences. Our program was created to help encourage those students (especially minorities) who are otherwise often intimidated in entry level courses into leaving the sciences entirely. We try to help brige the gap between professors and students to create a real community among the sciences. Occidental also has several large community outreach education programs in which many students go out and help high school and elementary students at local schools. One of the most popular traditions at Occidental is Dance Production. A large and diverse group of the student body gets together every year to put together a series of original as well as traditional dacnes to music. Nearly everyone in the school is involved as either spectators or dancers. Another Oxy tradition is the Sex on the Beach Party. Although toned down in recent years, it encourages all students to let loose in their best swim wear near the end of term. Nearly all students live on campus in the residence halls, and the environment in each hall varies considerably. Some halls are almost like a sanitarium, all the doors are closed and its silent (great for studying). Other halls seem as if there is only communal space as all doors are open and students are constantly mingling in and out of rooms and chatting in the hallways. Occidental is built into a hill, with most of the facillities near the bottom, so there is a significant geographic barrier between students who live in the upper campus versus the lower one. The Occidental Football Team consistently does well in SCIAC (our athletic league) and games draw a fair number of crowds. Our Water Polo team is also a large presence on campus academically as well as athletically. The volume of Guest speakers on campus is excellent as we have access to a large number of professionals being just inside the city limits of LA. Nearly every week each department hosts guest speakers (experts in their field); given the volume of speakers on campus, student participation in these events is high. In terms of dating, there is an old proverb that still holds true: 8 out of 10 girls are foxy, the rest go to Oxy. The Oxy dating scene (at least form the male perspective) is significantly less than ideal. There are still of plenty of ways to have fun though. There aren't frequently large parties on campus, but there are lots of small parties that go on in the dorms among groups of friends. Greek Life at Oxy is small. There are only a handful of fraternities and sororities at Occidental today (although there was a significant amount in the past). The nice thing though (especially if you have a car, or a friend that has one) is that you have LA at your feet. Although in a nice neighborhood, Occidental allows you access to the myriad of entertainment options that only LA can provide.

We have a Dance Production show in the spring that is one of the most popularly attended events on campus. Greek life is not a huge thing on campus, but there are 7 fraternity/sororities (I think?). They're not really typical greek associations though, in that it's not like there's a frat with a bunch of meat-heads who party all the time or a sorority with all the really wealthy, elite girls. I'm on the ultimate frisbee team, which is pretty low key, but we get to go to tournaments on a couple of weekends a year. For example, we went to Las Vegas, San Diego, and UCLA for tournaments this year. More people close their doors than leave them open, but people are friendly in the bathrooms and common rooms. Athletic events aren't a huge thing on campus, but the football and basketball games are probably most popular. We have a lot of guest speakers on campus that vary in a attendence. Chances are though, that there will be at least a couple of speakers each year that really interest you, if not more. There are plays put on at the end of each semester that I would say most of the student body attend. There are a good amount of couples on campus. Probably more people are into relationships than just hookups, but there's some of both. I met my closest friends either in my freshman dorm or through people I knew in my freshman dorm. Oxy had a program where all of the people in your freshman seminar class live in your dorm, so it was really easy to get to know people and do homework together. They don't do this program any more, because all of the freshman live togeth now, but that also makes it easy to meet people. If I'm awak at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm usually doing homework or trying to find a ride to go get some food. The most popular late-night snack around campus are the taco trucks down the street. There are 5 or 6 trucks that park on the side of the road from 7pm to 3am every night and they sell amazing, cheap mexican food. 21 Choices is also a popular snack place, but it closes at 11. Most people party 1-2 nights a week, generally on the weekends. On Friday and Saturday nights, you can almost always find a party to go to, but there's also tons of stuff to do, both off campus and on, that don't involve partying. For example, last weekend on Friday night I went to a movie and then got back and went to a party off campus with some friends, and then on Saturday I had an intramural soccer game, went to Medieval Times for a friends birthday, then went to a party for him that night. If you don't want to drink on a Saturday night, you can go to Old Town Pasadena to go shopping or out to dinner or to the movies, there are concerts both on and off campus a lot of the time, there are dances and events on campus, and there's always a lot going on in the LA area if you want to get off campus.

I think the students at large are the biggest draw back. Greek life is supposedly only 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body but it seems like the whole social scene is sorority girls and frat boys. I wish people appreciated LA more and actually got out into the city. Everyone just stays on campus all weekend and it's totally stupid when there's so much to do in LA.

Leigh

Athletic events, aside from football games, are that popular. There is a dance every weekend. People drink a lot. There is also a drug scene... mostly pot, but some students do harder drugs too. The theater department is pretty good, always putting on strange, but good shows. You can make your closest friends through the freshman required CSP classes. Lots of people go to Old Town Pasadena for meals and other fun activities.

Kendall

Football and basketball teams most popular on campus. Students who can prop their doors usually leave them open in the dorms. Basketball/football games are most popular athletic events. Guest speakers are constant, and usually on very informative topics. Dating scene is ok, easy to find people because you know everyone. 2am on Tuesday I am studying. People party every weekend. Frats/sororities do exist, but none really have a good reputation. Off campus, there is a Farmer's Market every Friday, and plenty of shops and malls close. Dodger Stadium/Hollywood/Downtown LA/Staples Center/Old Town Pasadena/Rose Bowl all within 15 minutes.

Party scene not HUGE, but it is good so you don't get burnt out. Mostly off-campus parties and very chill hangout atmosphere.

Max

Staff and friends really try to make Oxy a spot to actually have social events/outings.... they succeed in some respects, but through way too many dances where kids jsut get crazy drunk and grind up on each other. There have been some amazing lectures and speakers, though. A lot of kids drink a few times a week, while others are just strictly weekend partiers. You have some that don't party at all, others that do way too much.... and yes, a lot of kids smoke... 420 is a big deal here. Most student debauchery is somewhat tolerated. Dating scene is very awkward, though..... hit or miss, always see them around, etc.

We have frats and sororities here, and those are pretty popular. however, there is NO requirement or pressure to join one. I didn't. There are usually not too many parties on campus on the weekends; sometimes a couple dorms have been know to hold big parties, but they usually get broken up by campus safety pretty quickly. the weekend party scene generally happens off campus at the frat houses. Luckily, these are not far at all from campus (like, across the street). because the party scene is mostly removed, though, if you don't want to party, you definitely not pressured to.

Partying here seems to be a must. Though most people don't party on the week nights, over the years I have seen a definate increase from when I first came here. Weekends, the only thing to do usually is get drunk and even at school dances at least 95{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the people there have parted somewhere else beforehand.

Doors are almost always open in the dorm, people are very friendly and social. Oxy is not know for being a party school but it is not hard to find one on the weekend. Most athletic teams are very successful, so games are popular especially football and basketball. There are great guest speakers and performers all the time. Amazing programs put on by different clubs happen weekly. Dance production is a popular event that happens yearly. Oxy has a few frats and sororities but they are not a large part of the social scene and they are not your stereotypical Greek life.

Virginia

Oxy is pretty socially active, especially on weekends! Most weekend activities involve drinking, but you can find people who will do something else. It just takes a little longer to find out those people. I've planned several game nights amongst my friends-where everyone brings their favorite board game. Dorms are on-and-off social. Some are set up to welcome open doors and socializing. The newest dorm-Rangeview-has fire doors on all the rooms, so unless you find a door-stop, most doors are closed because they have to be propped open. The Cooler is a great place for hanging out-especially since the lounge area is now open all night. UNforunately Oxy sometimes sucks at scheduling, and several events (even of the same type!) are scheduled for the same time. There was one weekend where the theater department main show, a Glee Club concert, and the orchestra concert were all happening the same night. Clubs often schedule things at the same time, which gets annoying sometimes. But there are speakers and special performers brought in a lot. There doesn't seem to be much theater support outside of the department itself, which is a little lame, because we put on really good shows!

The more involved a student is, the more social networks are available to them. Realize though, this is by means a requirement, it just makes it easier to make friends when you're involved in many clubs, teams and organizations. Many students are athletes either with the college teams or intermural leagues. Everyone attends football games and a huge group support the men's basketball. Other traditional events that happen every year are: Homecoming Dance, Homecoming Game/weekend, Toga Party, Doctors and Nurses Party, Sex on the Beach Dance, Halloween Dance, Dance Production Performances, Apollo Night, and many others. They range from completely social dances and parties to awareness events highlighting things such as LGBTQ and womens issues. People party pretty consistently every weekend and Wednesday/Thursday night. There's usually parties going on every weekend. If not that, there are local bars that many students frequent. The Greek community makes up about 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body. It's by means a requirement to go Greek to preserve a social life but it provides another strong community for students to find comfort with. The Greek system at Oxy is unique to its campus. There are 3 local sororities, one of which is co-ed. These local sororities are only at Oxy and tend to abide by slightly different rules than national Greek organizations. There are 4 other national organizations (3 frats, 1 sorority). Other non-drinking events to do on the weekend include great night markets around LA, bowling and campus sponsored events. Off-campus there are great museums (LACMA, The Getty, etc.) and comedy places. There are also a bunch of salsa clubs that allow 18+.

The social life at oxy is remarkably open to interpretation, if you can say such a thing. What I mean is that there isn't one type of activity or group of people who dictate what everyone has to do every weekend or every night. So many different things are going on and the coolest parts of LA are so close by, that there is always something different to do. True, that means that we don't have the biggest frat or sorority parties in the world (for which I am eternally grateful), but we have some, and if you don't wanna go, you won't be the only one on campus sitting around not playing beer pong every damn night. Museums are free all around us, Chinatown is 10 minutes away, all your friends at UCLA a short drive down the road--the possibilities are endless. When you get old enough, happy hour at the Yardhouse (think upscale Chili's with over 150 beers on tap and killer mini-burgers) and a movie at the Paseo in Pasadena is one of my favorite evenings--you can even get cheaper tickets in the student center in advance!

claire

I am a member of the swim team and we are a pretty close knit group. The swim team and water polo team are like one, we sit together at lunch, do homework together, practice together, and party with each other on the weekends. There are always events and guest speakers on campus, whether it is a director of a movie or an author of a book that was required for class. Some hook up, some regret it, and some date for a long time. I met my friends just by being in my dorm and talking to people in my classes. Each year we have parties such as: Toga, Splatter, and the infamous Sex on the Beach. People party pretty often. Most students have classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so those are the designated party nights in addition to Saturday. Whenever someone doesn't have work (which is rare) they will probably celebrating. However, students at Oxy do know when to buckle down and study. Frats and sororities are not that important, some people join them to make friends or "to have that life bond". Last weekend I went to Hollywood for dinner at Swingers (super cool diner) and went to a club in Hollywood. On Saturday I went to the beach in Santa Monica and drove through the canyons in Malibu, and then went to a party at a friends house. On Sunday I like to be as lazy as possible so I got some tanning time in at the pool. There is a bowling alley within walking distance called All-Star Lanes, it has karaoke and if there isn't a party being thrown off campus then it will most likely be filled with Oxy students.

Being in SAE has opened my eyes to the Greek system, but I'd say the social scene here is fairly mild. There are lots of events and school wide parties which enhances oxy's sense of community, also.

Sierra

There are tons of off campus houses that host parties every weekend. With the high percentage of upperclassmen living a few blocks off campus, there is a lot of opportunity to get off campus over the weekends to hang out even if you live in the dorms. While the "dances" at Oxy sound very middle school they are put on by students for various reasons and celebrations so it become more of a social gathering then boys and girls standing on different sides of a basket ball gym. Still, if dancing is not your thing, the offcampus parties are my personal favorite. There is always alcohol and music and there is never a "list" or people that are not allowed in, unlike many UC's that are dominated by fraternities. Also the offcampus parties are almost always within a block of the school, so no one ever has to drive and not drink if they don't want to.

Oxy's student body is shockingly athletic, mostly due to the fact that there is a sport here for everyone. Get involved and get active. Go watch the Rugby teams play - they're awesomely raw! There is a social scene for everyone, despite the small student body. If you want to party every night of the week, you can. If you want to go clubbing in Hollywood, you can. If you want to sit around with a couple of friends and do homework on Saturday night, you can. Don't think that because there are only 1800 of us we don't know how to party, but also don't think that you HAVE to party if you come here. Everyone leaves there doors open in the dorms. People are incredibly friendly and welcoming. The upperclassmen are always open to meeting the freshman and immediately invite them into the core social scene at Oxy.

Eileen

There are many opportunities to get involved in groups, clubs, or sports on campus. Each hold specific events and most have very good turnouts. Most residence halls are social, doors are left open and neighbors get to know each other quickly; there is always something going on in the residence halls or on campus. Each year, the most attended events are Dance Production and Senior Film Comps. There are school sponsored events nearly every weekend. Our location in LA makes it very easy to explore the city if you want to get off campus.

Helen

Each dorm has its own life. Each dorm has its people that party till the crack of dawn and even of the weekdays. Who you live with is whats more important. Come with an open mind. I met my closest friends in Bible Study and I come to call them my family. Whether its a study break, study session, or small get together...i know I have like 50 people to call. Sororities are rivals and friends at the same time. If you're in a sorority....you will know about all the parties. If you're not into that drinking scence, well no one forces you to drink. But, movies and going out to Old Town Pasadena or just hanging out is just as fun.

I don't really think we have a social hierarchy here, and I've asked many people about this and they agree. The way I see it is: we have social circles, everyone has their inner circles (say their three closest friends) and then their larger circle that falls within (their dormitory or sorority or house), and then that circle may overlap and connect with other circles (the frat you may belong to, the sports team one of your inner circle friends plays for, etc). As such the social scene at Oxy becomes a social spectrum rather than a hierarchy. No one lies at a particular point of the spectrum but everyone has their spread and overlaps with many others. It's a small enough campus where you can eventually feel like you know everyone, but as a fairly socially active junior, I'm still meeting new people all the time.

Meredith

The cultural clubs put on a ton of events both social and educational, and BSA and MECHA*ALAS have a lot of power on campus. Students mostly live on-campus and meet their friends in their residents hall, especially in the first year. The dating scene here can be extremely unhealthy since the campus is so small and more than likely the guy you hooked up with last night will hook up with one of your close friend next week.