Occidental College

« See more reviews of Occidental College

Occidental takes the sort of student that is self-motivated. There are tons of resources available on campus, and in the nation's 2nd largest city, Los Angeles. Nobody is pushing you to take advantage of these resources, so a student must be active in finding, and using these resources. I say this is the worst thing about Occidental because most 18-22 year olds are not self-motivated, and it is easy to fall into the trap of taking the easy route at Oxy, in what is called the "Oxy Bubble" (the tendency to never leave campus).

The worst thing about my school is the social scene on campus. Off campus, there are a million fun things to do however the social life on and around campus is really lame. unless you have a dope crew of friends, finding a fun party is rare. most parties play bad music if any at all and they are small and eclusive, not that interesting. the kick backs are good, that is where the drunken intelectually stimilating convorsations come out, however if you are looking for a good party school, this is not it.

It's in the middle of a unknown somewhat "ghetto" town called Eagle Rock. It can be dangerous to walk outside of campus. However, since our school is close to Los Angeles, Pasadena, and even Glendale, having friends with cars makes this location not much of a negative for me.

The admin/staff/faculty are not on the same page as far as school policies and as far as knowing what's going on; too many cliques, people aren't that friendly; professorsare stuck up and often are too busy to help or advise students

The worst thing about my school would be the location. To go to downtown LA or other certain parts, you really need a car since public transportation takes too long. However, the Oxy shuttle does offer rides to places on the weekends.

The worst thing about my school is that there is little going on during the weekends. With the amount of work spent studying for classes, it would be nice to have a better balance with social activities sponsored by the school.

It is very small, and it prides itself on diversity but there is a great deal of tensions among different groups.

the Lack of a good party scene, and general lack of beautiful women compared to other colleges.

Occidental College is a small school so it can have a "high school feel" to it sometimes.

There is very little support for practical learning and job placement after graduation.