Occidental College

« See more reviews of Occidental College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

The fact that Oxy is a small liberal arts college means that a lot of people haven't even heard of it. At the Neuroscience Conference in San Diego we got a lot of suprised glances at our name tags. One of the sterotypes about Occidental is that it is a dental school. Changes are if you someone is familiar with Occidental, our students are well known as excellent communicators.

Not too sure about stereotypes, to be completely honest I never bothered to notice them I guess. I feel there must have been some but I never thought about it. Smart students who care more about personal attention and learning the material than anything else, hence wanting such a small, liberal arts school.

Occidental students tend to be some of the best and brightest this country has to offer. Over the years, Oxy has become more and more competitive. In addition the school prides itself on diversity among its student body, both in terms of race, religion, sexuality, and hometown.

Oxy can be known as home to the "Claremont Rejects" or those students who didn't get accepted to the Claremont colleges and thus had to "settle" for Oxy. Students are very socially minded and the School is very P.C.

That we're super politically active, lots of vegetarians and vegans, really liberal, work hard during the week, party hard on the weekends, very diverse student body, and very friendly.

Its hard to stereotype Oxy students because the college is so diverse. but in general I would say that Oxy students are decidedly liberal, and generally from California.

Wealthy, private school Good academics Diversity is extremely important Students are wealthy Good Athletic Dept. Possible dental school?

I've often heard that Oxy is so great because its in LA but the student body doesn't reflect the LA vibe too much.

Diverse, open minded, politically correct and/or sensitive to social correctness, overtly political and liberal.

liberal political leanings; politically correct; focused on social justice; focus on race, gender, class theory