Occidental College Top Questions

Chaney

I would have told myself as a high school senior to always go with your gut and it is okay to be alone sometimes. Your gut is there to protect you. If I went with my gut, I would have never second guessed myself and I would have never been betrayed by the group of people who I thought were my close friends. Resulting in this, I ended up alone and with very little confidence in myself. However, I learned that it is okay to be alone. When you are by yourself read a book, it builds character, or simply take time to learn more about yourself. You do not have to be with a group of friends to be happy. If you go with your gut you will protect yourself from betrayal and you will realize that not everyone is meant to be a trustworthy friend. You will find those few friends that you can count on. Until then it is okay to be alone. It gives you time to mature and grow as a person to make a decision on who deserves to be in your life.

Irene

Don't be afraid. Make the right decision and hold onto your aspirations no matter how hard it gets. Do everything you can to make this easier on your parents, I know it seems like they are stubborn and unfair, but this is justified. Everyone is telling you you will regret this, but everything is possible! Just don't be afraid to put yourself out there and take advantage of everything. It isn't about the grades and scores and even the major, it's who you are. And you have everything you need to be everything you want to be. So be fearless.

Cynthia

Remember to be courageous. While you have no control over things that happened to you in the past you can control what happens in your future. YOU are the creator of your life even when it doesn't feel like it, and you're creating in collaboration with the Divine so you never need to feel alone. Think of your life as a feature film and YOU are the star. As you go thru school do it with the mindset of "claiming your education." I promise you learning will be so much more fun if you're really a part of it. Remember that you have all the answers and that they will surface exactly when you need them to. Remember that there is magic in your life and remember to be grateful. Be grateful for your mother and father, your sisters and brother and everyone else in your life who you consider your family and community. Remember to be grateful for all the fortune in your life. Don't worry so much about other people and whether they like you. You are a writer and your experiences will inspire your stories and your stories will inspire many. Practice math.

Youstina

The most important advice that I could've given to myself is that I should've applied for scholarships. Scholarships are veryy useful especailly if I am applying for a private unversity next spring. Also, procristination is my enemy in college because the professors are always giving new lessons and new assigments. Another advice that I would given to myself is that I have to manage my time really well between work, school, and studying. These advices are very significant and it would've made life better.

Leaseth

I would tell myself to become sociable and make as many friends as possible. It is important to be involved in different clubs and organizations because you get to meet new people and acquire leadership roles and skills. I would also encourage myself to approach professors with questions and attend their office hours to get help. I would advice myself to review class notes and readings twice a week to get a better understanding and so I can be better prepared for quizzes and tests. Having a group of classmates to work on homework together or compare answers is very helpful. Also looking for internships in the career paths that might interest you is important to do because then you have a little glimpse of the occupation and an idea of whether you want to pursue it or not.

I would tell myself to stick with basketball, because at the time, I was burnt out from an injury and didn't want to play anymore. My coach and professors have challenged me here at Occidental to be a better student, athlete, and person. I would also encourage myself to pursue extracurricular opportunities, especially on-campus work and internships.

The first piece of advice that I would give myself is to allow room to grow. In terms of academics, this would mean to take many different classes, in subject areas outside of my major, simply because they sound interesting. In terms of extracarriculars, this would be to make sure to go check out a bunch of different groups on campus, even though you would maybe be unsure about whether or not it was a good fit. If you only join the same groups that you did in high school then you might be missing out on so many new and exciting opportunities! Also, you may not think so, but this is a great way to make new friends that you would have otherwise never met. The second piece of advice to give to myself as a high school senior is to make an effort to keep in touch with people from your past. You may think that keeping in touch with old high school friends will be easy, but once college kicks in it actually becomes quite difficult, and you have to, and should, make that effort to keep in touch.

Breathe. Everything works out in the end and although everyone has already told you that, it is true. The universe has its way of creating a life that is perfect for you. If you wake up everyday and force yourself to smile, eventually you will convince yourself that you are happy. When you act happy people are more attracted to you. Enjoy the people you are around. The faculty and your friends especially. Although college has so much to offer, the friends from high school are irreplaceable. The beginning of adventures are always the hardest. When you try something new, give it two weeks. It is possible to enjoy things that you are not the best at. Learning happens when there is someone to learn from. Spend way more time than necessary with those lovely dogs. As wonderful as family is, the dogs are missed most. Be confident in yourself. There is a bizarre paradox of constantly feeling crowded and lonely at college. Expect it. Be okay with it. Know that everyone else you are around feels something similar. School gets harder, so over the summer learn to accept yourself without a number or letter grade attached.

Alexa

The experience that I have had from this school has been incredible. While attending I have had the chance to attend lectures and arts events that I would not have otherwise been exposed to. In one class, in order to study the effect of Brecht on modern-day theatre, we were required to attend performances and interview people from the actual company. Through the contacts of the professor, this was possible. Lectures by guest speakers can be open to anyone--even if you are not enrolled in the class. I went into a history class to hear a playwright speak about his knowledge through theatre of histoy. I was able to then create my own opportunity and began to help him in his research for his play. Being a liberal arts college has allowed this school to expand my horizons as well and meet people I would not have otherwise met. I have a strong bond with many wonderful people on campus--including my employers as well as cooking staff and professors. Everyone works diligently and passionately at what they do, yet they have room to let you into their lives as well. I am growing as a person.

My college experience, so far, has been life altering. I now more than ever before have come to realize just how truly important pursuing education really is. Sure I could talk about the fact that the job market opens its arms wide open upon graduating college. Or the fact that it is truly is the key to career/life planning and fulfilling many of the things that I, and most other degree bearors and hopefulls aim for, but truly the worth in education to me is this, the attainment of knowledge and worth and reward it brings. Nothing is a wonderful. If I aim to leave my mark on the world, while this is not the equation in its entirety, certaintly education is a key factor in the equation to altering the state of the world for the bettering of all mankind. Big ambition? Too high and lofty of a hope and pursuit for one man to achieve? To this I submit, certainly! Without question; however, may I remind of a few names who found themselves in a similar situation? Luther? Paul of Tarsus? Newton? Edison? Columbus? History makers. I will make the pages of history. Aid me in this.

I learned how to be on my own and how to really manage my time and choose what is most importmant to me. Oxy has been so valuable to attend because I have gained so many great firends that I will have for the rest of my life. Also it was a great experience that I will never forget and I am so glad I had the opportunity to attend Oxy.

Susan

My college experience allowed me to explore many different areas, before ultimately choosing a practical career path. My college's emphasis on diversity has enriched my cultural understanding as well as added to my learning experience by providing various opinions that come from differing life experiences. As an English major, it was exciting to meet many of the invited speakers--fiction writers and journalists--that added to my understanding of their work and the practical applications of English language. Further, many activities were available for me to experience--helping me find my interests. My favorite part about this school is that on-campus housing is always available (though preference over specifics is given to seniors), therefore I had the full experience of a living-learning environment.

I have gained the privilege of learning about myself and developing my opinions on a variety of issues. Perhaps the most influential experience for me at Occidental was facilitating an intergroup dialogue course. This course helped enhance my speaking skills and modify the goals I am trying to accomplish when speaking. Public speaking has always been my strength because I enjoy sharing my ideas with others and captivating their attention with what I have to share and this course facilitated this skill. Dialogue taught me the importance of communication and shared understanding rather than attempting to prove one perspective as right or wrong. It also provided me the opportunity of forming meaningful and long-lasting friendships which I had not developed in college before since I didn't live on campus. We were able to explore issues involving race, gender, religion, and other "hot topics" in an honest and safe space, even when that meant questioning ourselves and realizing our roles in contributing to oppression. Knowing that Occidental is one of only a few campuses that offers the dialogue program makes me extremely proud that I chose this college and pushes me to advocate for dialogue on other campuses.

Greg

I would tell myself not to stress about the process of applying, or moving, or beginning college. Its the same for everyone, and everyone's going through the same process. Its a crazy ride, but college is a great time. College is much more engaging and fulfilling than high school in every way.

The best advice I was given before going to college was to be friendly and open to new experiences. Some of my best friends were raised very differently than I was and come from all over the world. One of the best things about college is the opportunities it holds to meet all kinds of people; don?t be afraid to sit with new people at lunch or approach other students after class. College may seem like a big, intimidating experience, but in many ways college is just like high school. Even though there will be very challenging moments, remember that there are probably other students that are going through the same thing and most campuses have resources to help you succeed. Make sure that you choose a school where you can truly learn, practice and get hands-on experience in the things you are passionate about. Without exciting academic opportunities, even the most active social life will not seem like enough.

Nadia

Make sure that the environment, made up of students, professors, administrators, the location and even the buildings themselves, including aesthetics and usefulness, collectively provide a place where you as can thrive, and become a useful member of society, and grow as a successful individual who is happy with oneself. Despite the statistics and facts on a website or sheet about the school you are considering, visiting the campus itself is the only way you will really get a feel for the campus and know if it suits you. Along with this, it is important to know what the student body comprises of, and if with them you will feel a sense of community and connection that will help you grow, and mutually learn from others. Search for a space where you can be inspired, have the privacy to do so and not feel so isolated at the same time. Of course prestige matters, but also the classroom size, access to professors and opportunities to engage with them in academic work. Most importantly realizes this will be a second home for you where you will potentially spend the majority of the four years of your undergraduate life.

Having been through a year and a half of ?college life? the best advice I could give myself as a high school senior would be to avoid obsessing over academic success. The first year of college I became so caught up in excelling academically that I allowed my social life to fall apart. I did not make finding that vital group of new friends a priority, which resulted in a very lonely first year of college. It became a cycle ? because I would spend most of my time studying, friendships were not nurtured and the lack of relationships just reinforced my desire to study as I had hours of free time. A girl is only as strong as her support system and during my first year, that support system had a strength of one. This year I have met people I can call lifelong friends and they have taught me much more than any study session could ever teach. Though the first year was socially challenging, it makes me truly appreciate the friends I have now. My advice: love those around you and it will make everything, academic success or not, that much sweeter.

Tasha

Although sometimes the want to be an adult is overwhelming, just be you. Your enjoyment in education will be satisfied. When you get bored in class still continue to do the work because in the future you will find college trying at times. I know you crave more difficult work but dropping out and getting a GED in order to rush on college will only make attending college harder. Schools want to know how well you did in college not how well you did on your GED exam. Take your time and enjoy life, when you rush through everything you tend to miss the beauty of it. Its easy for you to ace your classes don't take that for granted instead exploit it and enjoy the free ride to college. Don't ever think you can't do something or put off your wants. Graduate high school and shoot for the moon. Breaks only slow down progress. Keep pushing for the future. Online school is great you will enjoy the fact that you can work at your pace which will keep you more involved and challenge you more. The challenge is what you crave not the freedom.

Da-Eun

Try hard your senior year! Don't slack off in school and attend class regularly. Getting big-headed since your a senior is a risk since in college, you're going to be the youngest all over again! Apply for as many scholarships as you can since college is expensive. Eat healthy and set a regular excercise plan so that you could maintain your shape in college and thus, avoid freshman 15. Don't focus on transforming yourself before college so much because it really does not matter how you dress or do your hair in college. Pre-study some material since the science classes are extremely difficult. Just prepare yourself mentally for college because it is difficult but it'll all be worth it because it is the best experience of your life!

Mariko

If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would have told myself, "You should have taken those AP Spanish and math tests!" Course credit for classes I took like like AP Environmental Science, AP English, AP Art History & U.S History, etc. transferred into college, but it really isnt going to help for anything. Its language and math that AP and SAT test scorces can really help you out in college--you can place into a higher level or get out of some basic requirements entirely! The social sciences and liberal arts classes, not so much.

Isabel

RELAX, BE OUTGOING, BE YOURSELF, GET INVOLVED, TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF, BE PATIENT, KNOW THINGS WON'T BE EASY OR PERFECT, BE PREPARED TO MISS YOUR PARENTS MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU WILL, BE ADVENTUROUS!

Joyce

While in high school, college was a vague, blurry idea. It was all about the applying and the getting in. People seemed to compete with one another with lists of prestigious colleges they were applying to. Now that I am in college, I can say with confidence that these things are of little importance. I would tell my high school self that what I need to hone are my time management skills. There are so many activities to get involved in at college, academics can easily be put on hold. The best way to fight this is by making a time schedule of everything you need to do. I would tell myself that meeting people from different places is extremely rewarding. Students from all around the world teach me a lot about cultures. Embrace it and learn! Being in college does not mean that you have to party. There are many who have fun without this! Going to college in Los Angeles offers me so much. There are taco trucks on the streets, book stores, and museums galore! I would tell myself to make friends with the counselors at school. They help you with everything from classes to future careers!

Mwahaki

I was born in Los Angeles, California but I was raised in England until I was ten by my single mother and then moved to Jamaica with her; which is where I lived until I returned to Los Angeles for university last year. I spent my senior year of high school in Jamaica. If I were to go back in time I would prepare myself for the culture shock ahead and the bitter reality of living over 4000 miles away from my family, but also congratulate myself on the choice I made to attend Occidental College, it is the perfect place for me. I am a devout Christian who is steadfast in her faith. It can however be challenging to hold on to your religion in a college environment, especially in one as liberal as Occidental. As difficult as this task may be, it is not impossible. Therefore I would also advise myself to stay grounded in religion and trust God to guide me through adversity. I would also tell myself that despite the distance and culture shock, I should not to fear this new venture in my life for my time at Occidental will be extremely rewarding and fulfilling.

Henry

I would tell parents who have kids looking at colleges to give them as much support in their decision making process as possible, but be sure and let the child decide on their own where they would like to go. Some schools may be right for you as a student and other schools may not be. Know that there may be many schools out there that you would love and to go into the college experience with a very open mind and an eagerness to learn about other people and how to communicate with them. The most important thing one learns in college is not how to write a paper or learn facts, but rather how to navigate the world of people in a more intelligent and open way. Therefore, be sure and put yourself out there. Challenge yourself to do things that seem scary. Make friends by being yourself and go into relationships with an open mind and a willingness to learn about other people.

Janelle

Choose a college for yourself. Do not pick one because your friends go there or because your parents want you to. At college you will have plenty of opportunites to make friends for a lifetime. College is one of the biggest turning points in your life.

Meredith

visit the school

Don't be scared to go far from home and away from all of your friends. College is the chance to try something new and thrive in the environment that is right for you, not for your friends. Really think about what you value the most. There is no perfect school, so look at what matters the most to you and look for the school that best suits these needs. Once you decide, commit 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} and pour your heart into the college experience. It is a scary time, but if you jump right in and get involved in meaningful activities everything will fall into place.

Ann

The college decision is a hard choice. I went on numerous college tours across the country and then ended up going to a school sight unseen. However, there were many factors that went into my final decision: location, cost, and atmosphere. The most important thing I did was to apply to schools that I felt fulfilled most of my preferences. For me, I was accepted into most of the schools that I applied to and then it all boggled down to money. Occidental College offered me the best financial aid package. Once at Occidental, I tried to take advantage of everything. I went to the freshmen orientations and found out where all the resources were on campus. In addition, I talked to my professors. These tools helped me throughout my time so far at Occidental.

Keith

With the amount of colleges out there, parents and students have to realize they might not find the "perfect" one. As long as a student finds a college where he/she can be happy, and have the opportunity to pursue the activities that he/she wants, that student is going to be alright. Students should also realize that what they want at the beginning of their collegiate career isn't necessarily what they'll want by the end of it, so finding a place that can accomodate more than just one of their interests is key.

Callan

The first thing you have to remember is that college does NOT determine the rest of your life. Just because you don't go to an Ivy League doesn't mean you won't get the job you want. Visit the schools you want to go to and pick one that feels right. Think about the weather, location, size and social scene. When going to a school these things are more important than reputation. And of course academics are important as well but instead of looking for which school has the professor with the most published essays look for a school with a high teacher/student ratio or classes that you're interested in. Once you get there don't be scared! You'll make friends by geting out there and finding something you like to do, whether that's a cool class, a sport, the Women's Surf Club (my club!) or studying abroad. Freshman year can be hard trying to find a balance between social life and school life but eventually everyone finds that balance. So, like you might hear in every cheesy graduation speech, take advantage of everything and most of all, HAVE FUN!

Keep the student's interest in mind but make sure that their goals are realistic in terms of where they want to be. The future seems quite far away but it definitely is something to be thought about.

Do your best and live with no regrets. Choose a college based on instincts and with your financial situation in mind.

I think that the best way to find a college that you will like is to visit, and see which college you feel like you "fit" at. Othere than that is important to take into account your learning style, and decide whether you will do best in a smaller college with a low student to teacher ratio, and more discussion based classes, where teachers are more likely to help you. Or if you learn well from the textbook and are more interested in a wide variety of classes and extracurriculars. Once you get to college the main way to make the most of your experience is not to come in with very specific, set expectations, but to be adaptable, and be willing to try new things and maybe even change your ideas and goals when you find things that you are good at, or really enjoy.

Follow your gut instinct when you visit a college. How you physically feel on campus is a big part of how you'll feel as a student there, living on or near campus for four years. Don't be surprised if nothing feels perfect- you'll either grow into it, or you'll transfer, and both are perfectly acceptable options.

Be true to yourself but also push yourself beyond your comfort zone- you will find something new that you love !

Make sure that you read up on the specs of your school. Always visit the campus, see if you can do an overnight staye with someone in your major to get a good feel of what the school is actually like. When attending make sure you participate in something, you will regret it if you don't. It is the best time of your life. Enjoy!

Try to make a list of what is most important to you about your school: extra-curriculars, size, diversity, politcal atmosphere, dedication to studies, etc. and try to stick to those goals. Research the facilities and professors of several majors instead of just one, in case you change your mind (which you likely will).

Most schools can provide a solid education, but only a few can provide the right living environment for you. Think about whether you would like to be in a competitive school or not, and whether it will be important to be able to leave campus and join a larger community within the next four years.

I would advise that parents and students should have the student?s education and future in mind and try carefully to pick out the school that fits the student?s best interests. Largely populated schools are adequate, however smaller schools allow students to engage with professors more and have a more intimate relationship to their school and education, simply because the school is smaller. I would also advise for student athletes to consider their education first instead of their sport. Because of the high risk acquired when an individual participates in a sport, one should consider the possibilities of injury and loss of scholarship, loss of love and passion for their sport, and the reality of attaining a good education versus a shot at the pros. Being a previous student-athlete, who decided to leave sports and venture into the Occidental student government, residence halls representation, and cultural organizations, I simply say that sports do come to an end for the majority of athletes. Another piece of advice I would give to a student about finding the right college is keep your best interest first and your satisfaction at hand as it will make your college experience an enjoyable experience.

Adriana

Visit all the college's you applied to, and during college learn how to manage your time very well.

wynne

One of the most important things to remember when looking for a college is that academics is not the only important thing. You should not choose to go to the best college you get into. Instead, you need to look for a setting that fits your personality in many aspects of life. You will be much happier and thus much more apt to get the best grades and have the best college experience possible. That being said, it is impossible to find the perfect campus, so no place should be held up to those impossible standards. There are cool people everywhere you go, no matter what. Most likely, the coolest ones will be the ones you never expected to be friends with in the first place. So dont attempt to 'know yourself' too much. Be open to things, and in that way you will be able to form the perfect campus for yourself. You pick your classes, meet your friends, sign up for clubs, get out into the city, volunteer. If you remember to smile put your energy out into the community, you can't go wrong no matter where you are.

Take advantage of your frosh year!

alex

The addage that every student ends up at the right school regardless of his or her preference has been proven beyond doubt in my collegiate experience: I enrolled in a school I intended to transfer from, and ended up in the perfect place, both academically and socially.

Visit the college you plan to attend. Any college may look perfect for you on paper, however youre never gona know if its a true fit until you step foot on campus

When deciding on a which school to attend, students and parents should visit always visit the campus and sit in a class or two. If possible, arrange for an overnight stay. This will give the student an opportunity to see what campus life is really like. Reading surveys and rankings only give a partial story and are no substitute for personal experience. Although a degree from a prestigious university is something almost everyone wants, remember that the experiences you'll have over the next for years will also stay with you forever. Be sure to enjoy those, where ever you have them. The right college is different for everyone and is a combination of a campus life you feel will fit you best and an academic life which will challenge you just enough, pushing you to excellence. However, no matter how much research you put into the college you choose, surprises are always around the corner. Not everything will be exactly how you dreamed. To make the most of your experience, learn to take things as they come. Focus on what qualities you enjoy most about your college or university, and be open to ones you do not expect.

Noel

The advice I would give to parents/ students looking for a college, would be to ask them what they are looking for in a college and if they do not know, I would asked, what experience they are looking forward to, examples include smaller classes, well known alumnus, great academic record, etc. From there I would give them the advice to look up different colleges, with those personal requirements. Than to visit as many colleges in advance, even try to stay the night, and see if it is the right fit, taking note surroundings and the kind of students attending the college. This not only shows the college that you are serious about attending; it also gives you a lot of ammo for writing a great essay. Also to do a little research on the different majors offered, former graduates, average cost, and academic expectations. That is how I picked the college I wanted and ninety-five percent of beforehand research has come true because I knew what I wanted out of my college experience and I knew where to go to get it. You can get a good education at any college, but what experience you get always varies.

The emphasis on the prestige of a school can influence finding a right college. There are many criteria that are not encompassed by the prestige of a school: the campus atmosphere, friendliness of the student population, and opportunities the school provides. Visiting schools and possibly staying overnight might be the best advice I could give. One could get a sense of what the school is really like and experience intangibles aspects that has nothing to do with prestige. I have been fortunate enough to attend Occidental College regardless of the prestige factor. Although it is a small liberal arts college that not many people know about, there are many unexplainable factors that make this a great place to learn. The closest word I could think to describe this factor is: spirit. The students here make Occidental College a great place to be. They seize every opportunity the school provides and are not afraid to initiate projects the school has yet to develop. Students who understand this concept will thrive in school and the school will be fortunate to have such driven individuals.

jessica

First and foremost, students should figure out what they are interested in studying and find colleges that coincide with that interest. If you have no idea, then take a look at the course selections and see what looks appealing. The key to making the most of your college experience begins with your drive for success. Unlike high school, college is for YOU. If you blow off college you are wasting your own time and money, be sure to pay close attention to the programs that are available. Look into creating your own major. Whatever it takes to satisfy your own interests. Look closely at your basic expectations; population, class size, diversity, athletic programs, social life, demographics, abroad programs etc. "Finding the right college" is a common misconception. There are tons of colleges out there; its what you bring that will determine your own experience. If you go into college with a positive attitude and you are ready to work hard, take full advantage of your resources and grow as an individual, regardless of where you are your experience will reflect this. ItFirst and foremost, students should figure out what they are interested in studying and find colleges that coincide with that interest. If you have no idea, then take a look at the course selections and see what looks appealing. The key to making the most of your college experience begins with your drive for success. Unlike high school, college is for YOU. If you blow off college you are wasting your own time and money, be sure to pay close attention to the programs that are available. Look into creating your own major. Whatever it takes to satisfy your own interests. Look closely at your basic expectations; population, class size, diversity, athletic programs, social life, demographics, abroad programs etc. "Finding the right college" is a common misconception. There are tons of colleges out there; its what you bring that will determine your own experience. If you go into college with a positive attitude and you are ready to work hard, take full advantage of your resources and grow as an individual, regardless of where you are your experience will reflect this. It?s about being optimistic and ready for change. With the right approach, the right college will find you.

Albert

Upon completion of high school, students may think they know who they are, what they want, where they want to go, but in reality, they should approach the college experience with a fresh perspective, a desire to learn, to experience, to grow. Having a plan means knowing where you want to go, but being flexible enough to change directions as the discovery process unfolds. Students should spend some time self-reflecting their needs, academic and personal, when searching for potential colleges. Similarly, parents should encourage and support the students along the way, without biases or extra pressure on an already difficult decision. This is a decision that will affect not only the next four years, but also how it will impact the students' lives. Having fun, discovering oneself in the context of this world, and learning both inside and outside the classroom are all part of what makes the college experience unique, so make sure the right college reflects your needs, stimulates your mind, and challenges your human spirit to excel and achieve personal satisfaction.

As a senior interviewer for the Office of Admission at Occidental College, I always tell prospective students and their parents that they need to follow their instinct when it comes to choosing the right college. The worst decision a student can make is to listen to others or succumb to the pressures put on by their parents. If a student knows exactly what they want to study, then I suggest they look at schools that specialize in that field of study. However, if they are like most young students starting college and have an open mind, I suggest a liberal arts school if they want the small school experience. What matters most is a studen't happiness because your first year of college is probably your most important. It marks the beginning of your career path but most importantly you start to find out who you really are.