Ocean County College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ocean County College

It is an okay college for a county college. From my experience I would tell people to go there to save money but not necessarily for the best education. It is fair prices but in my experience I never had a professor that I feel deserved five stars.

Gianna

Overall, the school is okay. The school is open to sports, but it is not a big thing. There are multiple clubs students can join. The professors there are great for the most part and are often available for office hours. The campus/buildings themselves are kept clean and very nice.

Kaela

Ocean County College has it's goods and bads. It's a close school that is extremely affordable and will help with getting some college credits before transferring. Unfortunately, there's not much student interaction and I've had quite a few professors that have been pretty bad. Advising isn't very helpful. Some classes seem like they aren't taken seriously by the professors which is a bummer when it's a subject you actually want to learn about.

Allegra

Ocean County College is a great school to study at when you do not know what direction you want to go in so you can explore many areas and find your best fit. It also is the least expensive higher education route. My first year at Ocean County College was a pleasant experience. I was able to get a sense of college classes and know what is expected of a college student. The commute to class every day was my biggest worry, but it turned out to be a relaxing drive. There are many clubs to be apart of but if you are like me and work part time along with being a student full time, it is hard to attend events and meetings. OCC has an amazing study abroad program where students can go to places like Mexico or Paris and learn about different culture and also have a great time. To me, college is all about working hard at gaining an education for future careers, to learn about yourself, and get a glimpse of how the real world works. Ocean County College is the right choice for students like me, who need to find their path first and get their toes wet in the college life before immersing themselves entirely.

Sally

Ocean County College is a pretty good school. It's a great way to save money before you go to a four year school. Your professors are easy to access and the class sizes are really small. There's not much going on because it is a community college, and pretty much everybody works, but it's okay.

Jim

As with anything, you get out of something what you put into it. I'm a non-traditional student - a married father of two, police officer, homeowner - earning my undergrad degree so I can go to law school when I retire. I can honestly say I've learned mountains at OCC. There are some phenomenal professors there who are a wealth of knowledge, if you're looking for it. In my experience, a large portion of the student body is made up of bored teenagers who don't know what else to do with themselves, so they just signed up for OCC after graduating high school. The going adage is that OCC is just Toms River High School continued, and in many ways it is. But that doesn't speak to the facilities or the quality of the professors. As I've said, I'm learning tons, and loving every minute of it. I have a 4.0 GPA, and I've asked to participate in extra honors work for several classes. If you want to get a good education, put effort into it, and you can get it at OCC. Also, their facilities are really nice. They've got a great library, an awesome student center, and they're in the process of building and improving much more of the campus. I'll be finishing up my tenure at OCC in 2018, then I'll be off to Rutgers.

Melchior

Ocean County College is my home away from home. It provides me with all of the services I need to be a successful student and meet with others like myself. It fosters an environment for intellectual conversation, social activities, and student engagement.

Dakota

It is such a great school to start your college journey. It lets new college students easy into the life of college easier then moving away. The campus is beautiful they keep very good care of the campus. Ocean County College also cares so much about safety in almost every building there is a security guard. Everyday that I am there I feel so grateful that I am attending this amazing school.

Coleby

I am not yet an expert of the school, as I am only going through my second class there, and this one is online. Overall it is a nice community college with a good, quiet location with a campus that is expanding. One thing I did not like with the first class, was that it was a College Success Seminar, and we had to buy two books. All book fees should be included in the tuition, especially for an introductory college class! And then another negative in the cafeteria, they do not offer a frequent coffee/tea buyer program, nor do they offer a discount if you bring your own thermos or whatever type of reusable drinking vessel. But they did put in a Starbucks, which is only open for the fall and spring semesters. Regardless, overall, it is a good college thus far.

Julia

Ocean County College is wonderful. It's an affordable option with a wide variety of classes, and a solid base of classes for those moving on to four year schools elsewhere. Great professors, too!

Joseph

My overall opinion about Ocean County College is that it's a great college for students coming out of high school not sure what they want to do. The classes are designed to help you prepare for the future and where you will go after attending OCC. I'm on my second year there and I really enjoy going everyday and ready to learn. The professors are for the most part always ready to help and always stay after class. If your not sure where to go, make sure you consider Ocean County College

Brieanne

Ocean County College had set a good academic foundation for transferring to a four-year university. It is a medium sized community college where the campus is in a metropolitan part of Toms River, NJ, making the commute to and from school really easy. The tuition is affordable and the teachers and adjuncts are always available in class to help students in any way they can. Although the school is not that sociable, it is a noteworthy community college that shows great morals, ethical character, and academic value in their students.

Leah

OCC is a great stepping stone when moving onto a larger college or for nursing majors. The quality of professors varies with each class, the permanent professors are typically more accessible then adjuncts. Overall the atmosphere at OCC is calm, there are many places around campus to study, and meet up with people, the clubs often organize fundraisers and events for students.

Olivia

Ocean County College is a good community college to jump start your college career. I personally like going here because it is super convenient for me. I go to class, come home, and then go to work. I like going here because I can still maintain a job until I go off to a 4 year university.

Benjamin

Ocean County College provides students an abundance of opportunities for a two-year community college. Many people decide on going to much bigger universities just for the sake of going to the bigger name schools, but at a price and a very expensive one too. OCC gives people a great opportunity to begin a college career that doesn't involve getting into thousands upon thousands of dollars. The overall experience at OCC is a very enjoyable one fron its good professors, faculty, and learning environment.

Erin

My overall opinion for Ocean County College is that it's good first school to get your associates degree if you have no idea what you're doing after high school. You're not going to spend an extreme amount of dollars on a degree you do not want. It gives you the opportunity to figure out what you want to do next.

Jaclyn

While many prospective college students view attending a local community college as a sacrifice of the highly regarded "college experience," Ocean County College has never made me feel like less of a college student because I did not choose to attend a four year university right out of high school. Classes are large enough to facilitate diversity, but small enough to allow easy access to professors. In addition, Ocean County College offers many extracurricular activities, some of which I have been able to participate in, such as study abroad trips to both Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and Paris, France; in addition, Ocean County College has a variety of clubs, my favorite have been the academic clubs, like Phi Theta Kappa and history club, both of which participate in philanthropic endeavors, such as food and toy drives around the holidays. In summation, I believe everyone can find a niche at Ocean County College where they will find a variety of friends who share the same goals and interests, as well as professors who encourage success.

Stephen

As someone who bloomed late intellectually without many interests, I figured it was best that I don't waste my parents money. My older brother was already being funded, so there was no way I had room to branch any further out. Regardless of the circumstances, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I did better academically at OCC than I did in high school. The environment was relaxed, yet intensive enough to nurture and develop more complex thought, and understanding. The price is inarguably one of the most attractive parts about it. My main gripe is that they offered me literally no academic advising for my major. This added a 3rd year to the University I transferred to as a result of not having taken the correct classes for my B.S.

Emmanuel

N/A

Kayci

Ocean County College is in a very unique situation due to the fact that it is a community college. People speak about it in a negative way because it is community, and act like it is lesser than other bigger colleges, because either the education is lacking, or because it is more inexpensive. In my experience with Ocean County College, the course material has been very interesting, engaging, and the staff generally does really care about the quality of the education that the student is receiving. Tutoring programs and other programs that encourage success, good grades, and opportunity are heavily promoted by professors, and many teachers are very helpful with questions you may have, and are more than willing to give you additional help. I never felt like attending this school was a "less than" experience, and I felt like it really challenged me and encouraged me to push myself in my studies. Overall, I really liked my time attending this college.

Jaqueline

My overall opinion would be that the college is close by, location wise to everything you will ever need. For example gas stations are not far and other restaurants are not far as well. The professors are a give or take. Some really love what they do and other's have no care in the world and that goes same ways with students. Meaning some love to participate and others who feel uncomfortable will not. I generally feel safe walking in campus at any time of the day. Parking it not far from the classes which is beneficial if anyone is ever in a rush. Overall, the campus is very has really opened up and has been offering more to students in the majoring department which is good for student's who do not want or can not afford to go away to a University.

victoria

Its a good place to be and it gives a student a good foundation to further advance. They professors are very helpful and the campus is well maintained. Although it is a community college, when you step on campus you feel like you're at a typical university.

Carly

Ocean County College is a great choice for a community college. Most of the professors are very helpful and always want you to succeed. The campus is kept very clean and organized. They give each student an opportunity to get involved by creating a bunch of different clubs for different interests.

Lisa

I am a current student at Ocean County College enrolled in the Nursing Program. Prior to acceptance into the Nursing Program I completed my prerequisites and took the TEAS Test with Ocean County College. I’ve never had a bad experience thus far. The campus is beautiful and well maintained. It truly is an enjoyable atmosphere. The college always has staff available to meet the needs of the students and answer any questions they may have. There are not enough wonderful things I can say about the Nursing Program specifically at Ocean County College. There is a building dedicated specifically to the Nursing Students and it provides an amazing sense of community for our future profession. The program is well structured and strictly follows the explained guidelines outlined prior to starting. They are up front about expectations and expect you to abide by the rules. The professors instructing the Nursing classes are very knowledgeable and relatable. They truly care about the future success of their students and it shows through their teaching. They make themselves available to the students and are constantly reassuring that they are there to help each and every student succeed. Clinical hours are designed to make the student successful and comfortable in the real life work environment. Skills are taught and supervised in the lab in small groups to assure the students feel confident in the skills they are performing prior to being placed in the hospital setting. The Nursing Lab is a practice environment with an extremely open schedule most weeks. A staff member is always present to assist students however necessary and assure they are practicing their skills correctly. I personally do not come from any healthcare experience or employment. I was nervous to enter the program and take on learning a profession I knew nothing about. I can honestly say after completing my first semester, I am confident I will succeed. The program and the staff are the perfect guidance to a successful Nursing career.

arianna

My overall opinion is that it is a positive environment. I do schooling online, but the online classroom is positive and very focused on learning. I have learned a lot so far and look forward to continuing my education at this school. I would recommend this school to friends and family, as well.

Colin

I was searching for scholarships on Unigo and noticed that if I gave a review on my college I would be entered to win $1,000. Naturally, I jumped at the chance. Now that we've established a context, continue reading if you want to know my opinion. A lot of people like to talk that noise about OCC. There's a good probability that they do not attend, so do not listen to them. I was one of those people for a period of time, and it cost be big time. After high school I went to Rowan University without giving much thought to the money I was spending or what I really wanted to study. I ended up leaving after one rough semester and my parents advised me to go to OCC so I could get an associate's degree and do something other than flip burgers for the rest of my life. Talented as I may have been on the grill, fast food money didn't translate to the life of excess that I dreamed of, so I enrolled. I must say it's been a satisfactory experience. OCC, at the very least, offers students a chance to make sure they have it together and get gen. ed. requirements out of the way without wasting money. I've heard the nursing program is excellent, but I'm just a dude studying Liberal Arts, so don't take my word for it. Most classes are large enough to get away with quietly taking notes but small enough to have discussions and get one-on-one help from professors, who keep regular office hours and are happy to help you if you take initiative. There's also a Tutoring Center available to everyone, with some professional tutors and some peer tutors who are still students. I currently work there myself and can say for sure that the employees do a great job, though not all subjects have tutors. The classwork and homework is engaging but not overwhelming; I'd say paying attention in class is the most important part of keeping up, more so than reading or researching outside of the classroom. Most students have one or more jobs and the professors understand. For some perspective: I have three jobs including my work as a tutor, and I still find time to get my school work done, practice basketball and work out on a daily basis. If you can stay diligent you will have success at OCC and if you cannot, it is properly the best place to develop good work habits. No campus housing and students having jobs means no party scene, but that's not as big of a deal as kids coming out of high school might think. The money you save by going to OCC and can save up while working while you attend makes it more than worth it to stay clean for two years and then have fun later on. If you want new friends to hang out with, join a club or play a sport. Most of the clubs will be a good experience if you just show interest and keep an open mind. The sports are also no joke. I know for a fact that the basketball team is in one of the nation's top conference at its level and regularly plays against nationally ranked teams. The soccer and lacrosse programs also play at a high level, and although I don't know much about other sports, I would assume that any prospective athlete will be challenged enough to get better. Many of the athletes produced at OCC have had success in their sport following graduation. Obviously teammates and coaches can provide friendships, connections and useful contacts as well in the future. An example: I could not play basketball due to an injury, but the coach was willing to help me get in touch with coaches at four-year schools and speak with them on my behalf. Overall, as my father often told me, "There's nothing wrong with going to OCC." You save money and have more opportunities to make money outside of school by staying local. Professors and tutors are available to help you, and there is a number of opportunities to make connections and have athletic success. My only regrets are that I did not start playing basketball until my second year and that I didn't decide on a career goal until then either. However, those are hardly things for every student to worry about, so the majority of you readers should not have any glaring complaints either, as long as you stay committed and serious enough about your work. If you've made it this far, well done and I hope my review helps. If you don't mind, wish me luck in my endeavor for that $1,000 scholarships. Thank you.

Jonathan

Ocean County College can help you in your future career dramatically if you study hard. There aren't any parities or a party atmosphere; people come here to study and to get there associates degree at an amazing price. Ocean County college is the financially smartest way to go.

Cynthia

Ocean County College is good to start out but most of my classes make me feel like I'm in 13/14th grade since some of the students are just immature. It might be that I'm older but I thought going to school at night around work would allow me to be in class with other people in the same situation. Instead, I'm in class with kids that talk over the professor or try to derail the professor away from academics. The nice thing is that it's local and I can go to class from from work and then head home when class is over.

Alyssa

For the price and location, Ocean County College is the best choice. If a student is looking to stay close to home and necessarily not take out any student loans OCC is the school for you. There are sports and some honor society groups. I do not believe that there is much sorority or fraternity action. Academically I think it is all about the professor that you have at this campus, some are uninterested and do not really care about the course they are teaching leaving you the student to have a hard time in the future requisite courses. At my time at Ocean County College, all but one professor was excellent and loved to teach and wanted their students to go on to a four-year school and continue their education. I have also recently taken more of the school's online courses that they offer a pretty big selection of course via online learning. This is a good school if you are looking to just get an associate or take two years getting ready to transfer to a 4-year school. The advising staff and counselors are really helpful when figuring out schedules and financial aid and they are focused on getting you to graduate within your two years at OCC. Overall although it is a small town school that may seem boring with the lack of activities the school makes up for it by being in a good location and having affordable tuition prices.

Andrea

OCC is a great community college. It has plenty of opportunities to gain certificates and to be apart of plenty of clubs. Most teachers are super supportive and helpful on campus. There is just a problem with the amount of students versus the amount of space the campus has. The campus is growing each year and the amount of students have as well. The addition for a VOC school for high school students was placed in the middle of one of the busiest lots causing more traffic and not enough space to park. The food is good though.

Take our Scholarship Match Quiz!