Oglethorpe University Top Questions

Bishop

As much as I blew off the cheesy pieces of typical advice my parents gave me, one piece has become important to me, and thats "don't rush growing up". It never made sense in Highschool, but now looking back it means a lot. You only get to go through highschool, college ,and well life in general once, so why rush it? I'd tell my seventeen year old self to enjoy my friends without putting my studies aside, to study hard but don't forget the man upstairs, and most importantly to enjoy every last minute with your family because going to college is the first step to living on your own. Bishop, stay young and don't rush growing up, because the time will come befoe you know it and then you will only want it to rewind.

Leah

There are many things I want to tell you before going to college. It's okay to make mistake. Do not beat yourself up over the small things. It's okay to give your self "me" time but "me" time should not get in the way of school work. You have to leave your room to make friends. Being antisocial is only going to hurt you and only you. It's okay to say no. You are in control of your life not your friends, peers, or family. They may want the best for you but you have to live the life not them. Lastly, love yourself. There are a million people in the one but only one Leah Rolle. She is a beautiful, kind, and a supportive person who needs to love herself before she loves anyone else.

MaryAnne

I know where my high school senior self would be: at the BBQ place down the street from the school with my closest friends during our lunch break. "Time to head back," I'd say. My friends would protest. "We don't need to be in third period. You already have an A!" And, we really didn't need to be in third period, and I wanted to stay, but I was worried because of the advice that my teachers and parents, my "superiors," gave about dangerous habits like skipping class. And I believed it. I heeded them. Enter college self. I'd tell senior self what I now firmly believe to be: that age, credentials, and prestige mean very little. That advice is most often an autobiographical do-over for the giver and usually has very little application to the life of the receiver. This isn't license to be ignorant or insolent. Rather, just a reminder to trust my intuitions and be prudent in judgements, rather than blindly trusting the critics and self-help specialists. When it comes to my happiness, only my perspective matters, so that should hold true for the advice I take too.

Brittiny

Looking back on my college experience, I learned that life is about balance; one must discover and maintain a healthy balance between work and leisure. Finding that balance is different for each individual, for some students tend to study more, while other students may have no trouble finding a party. The hard work necessary to maintain grades in a variety of classes teaches a student discipline and focus, and this will show future employers your willingness and ability to learn new tasks. Similarly, participating in college activities, societies, and clubs are extremely good network development opportunities that can often teach students team building, leadership, and how to interact with a variety of different people and cultures. For myself, I kept a schedule for classes and job in order to ensure I could fit in any homework or study requirements. Once those requirements were complete, however, I was free to socialize with my sorority and enjoy any campus events. My ability to balance classes while having fun allowed me to graduate magna cum laude, quickly find employment in my field, and have spectacular memories. I look forward to attending graduate school where I will continue to balance classes, job, and family.

Keith

If I could go back in time I would tell my high school self that mom was right, I need better study habits, and cramming is not the way to go! I would tell high school me that this is just the dress rehearsal as far as my education is concerned, the main event is coming up so get better prepared. In our conversation I would also tell high school Keith that spending the time now to take as many advanced classes as I can would give me a significant advantage the first year of college. I'd tell high school Keith to pace yourself when you get there, there will be plenty of time for the purely social activities. The focus needs to be on the work and what is required to graduate, which is our main goal. True friends will understand your need to study and skip that awesome party. Ultimately, I'd say that I need to spend more time preparing for the SATs because better scores will qualify me for more scholarships, and save me from having to get really creative later figuring out ways to continue to pay for college.

Maria

Work harder. Even if you slacked of some in your fist years work hard during junior and senior year and you can still do very well when applying to colleges. Don't just assume that you aren't able to get into schools. Look into a lot of schools that fit your basic interests i.e. location, cost, etc. Then narrow them down based on things like student activities, classes available. Just because you think you won't get into a school doesn't mean you shouldn't try. The worst thing to do is not try.

Uchenna

The most important advice that I would give to myself is to apply to as many scholarships as possible. Due to my demanding schedule as an accelerated program student in high school, I had to balance an inordinate amount of schoolwork with college admissions and extracurricular activities. I made various attempts to apply to scholarships, but I wished that I had made the extra effort to pursue for more. Even scholarships as small as $100 are vital and would accumulate if more time was devoted to finding a pool of them. I was awarded a scholarship from my current university, but my expected contribution was still too high. Scholarships would have greatly lowered such expenses to make my education more affordable.

Sarah, You are a brilliant young women. Never doubt yourself and never doubt God. Never forget your faith, because it will bring you through trying times. Always look up; never look down. Rather than focus on minute details, focus more on the big picture. Focus on your goals, and don't get side tracked by entertainment and things that do not matter. Remain loyal and faithful, and be true to who you are. It will be far from easy, and at times you'll question your abilities, your purpose in life, and your will. You WIILL be tested, but that doesn't give you the right to fail. God will never leave you, and he did not bring you this far to stay here. Hit the books more than the game, and enjoy every second of life, because you only have one life to live. Love, SJ

Lisa

High school was a wonderful time for me, but with the gained knowledge and experiences I have now I would have made better decisions. If I could go back in time and speak to my former self, I would suggest maintaining good study habits. Discipline and focused driven goals will carry you far and I would tell my former self that. I will tell former me to make a five year plan to decide where I would like to be once graduating from high school? Once the five year plan is in place, I would tell me to come up with a step-by-step process on how to reach that plan in detail. After the plan is broken down I would suggest the former senior to get a Summer job and save for college and start budgeting as if you are an independent student. In addition, I would tell my former self to start looking at colleges earlier in the school year, to plan campus tours with your family, andto speak with current college students. Lastly, I would say keep a journal of notes and contacts just in case you may need future references.

Carrisa

STOP! Take a moment to look around you. Are they really worth arguing with? Will going to college make that person just go away? No. There are people of all different personalities in college. Chances are, there will be a person there who is just like the one you are struggling with now. If there are people like that in college, then there will definitely be people like that in the workplace and the local grocery store. Understand, that everyone has something to offer, whether it’s simply a friendship, or a hard lesson. You must learn how to deal with the people around you in the most positive way possible. I’m telling you to fight for what you believe and challenge the views in others, but do it wisely. Pick your battles wisely. Not all battles are needed to win the war. Stay focused, and you will succeed.

Maria

The financial problems faced by most american families are not avoidale. With all the informatin available to a person, it is necessary to look into the available scholarships and what i required. The better grades you get the easier it is to get scholarships. If you don't have to worry about money then your exerience is much better and more enjoyable.

My experience at Oglethorpe University is everything I had always imagined college to be. I have made close friends, received both thorough and practical instruction in my field of study, and learned about myself and my place in the world. College has given me endless educational, social, cultural, and volunteer opportunities. Because of these opportunities, for the first time in my life, I finally feel fulfilled. There is nothing better than a day-to-day life that involves learning, volunteering, experiencing cultural events, and spending time with friends. Not only have I found fulfillment, but I am hopeful and excited for my future beyond college. I know that I can take the experiences that I have gotten here to truly make an impact on the world, and for this reason, attending college is worth everything.

Bernice

College has been valuable to attend because I learned that this college in particular was not the one for me. I learned that I have more options and opportunities for college choices and I intend to take every chance I have. After this semester of college I have an insight of what college life is like. This has been a valuable experience because now I can be more prepared and I know what to expect when I start going to a new college.

Lindsey

Before I came to Oglethorpe University, my goals for the future were to get a job and be stable. Not much more. I had other dreams, such as becoming published one day, but the pressures of such a challenge had convinced me that this might not be possible; and so I let that dream join the lower end of my goals. Oglethrope University has a motto: Make a Life, Make a Living, Make a Difference. When I heard it, I understood the first two perfectly! The third I was not so excited about, convinced that I was too small, too unimportant to do anything that could affect more people than just myself and my family. But through the time spent at this school, I've started to realize that there are many things that I can do, and that just getting along in life isn't really living. The dreams that once seemed too high for me to grasp have been descending into my reach. This university -- the faculty, my classmates -- have revived my passion. The difference has been made in me, and now I want to go into the world and do my part to also make a difference.

I am entering college this fall for the first time, but I am very excited to attend Oglethorpe University.

Charlynn

Oglethorpe was small enough to offer me close relationships with my professors, yet still large enough to provide the resources neccessary for a competitive education. The professors expected diligence and creativity from their students and gave it to us in return. I never felt lost while attending and, though I was a non-traditional student, I felt welcomed and accepted by both the professors and the students. Since graduating from Oglethorpe I have completed a year as a research assistant at UC Berkeley and am attending graduate school at NYU in the Fall. These doors opened to me because my undergraduate education at Oglethorpe. In addition to the strong academics, Oglethorpe offers a warm and active social life, where it is difficult to feel overlooked. There are a myriad of opportunities both on-campus and also in Atlanta. I think the inclusive and comfortable environment would be ideal for a freshman just leaving home. I recommend Oglethorpe to any student that desires a high level of involvement with both the faculty and the student body. Unless you enjoy anonymous, oversized lecture halls, Oglethorpe is a wonderful fit for any undergraduate student.

Shafiq

My experiences thus far have made it all the more clear that everybody has their own prespective on what goes on in this ever churning cauldron that is the world. When taking a course of action or holding an ideal, knowing where others stand tends to help you know where you are. Not only are you affected and minutely changed by all that you come into contact with, you might actually find that your own positions are elucidated and solidified. In other words - and hopefully I'm not sounding cliched on this matter - you find out who you are. Keep in mind, this being my first year, I have a lot more time left. The ultimate sum of this experience has yet to be ascertained. There is still quite a bit to learn. And to tell the truth, that is probably the best thing about it.

Will

Wait at least a year before going to College. In the meantime get a job and work on writing; then, after a year is up. Count how much money you have and then enroll in Oglethorpe University. Also, don't let Mom and Dad force you into this, make sure that you REALLY want to go to College before you commit to it. Otherwise you?re gonna be miserable.

Rashunda

I would tell myself to take more Advanced Placement classes to get prepared for the work load here at Oglethorpe. I would also tell myself to apply myself more instead of slacking off because I am a senior and it is my last year of high school. I would definitely advise myself to look for as many scholarships as possible because college is not cheap and taking out loans may be good for the moment but I will later have to pay them back with interest. I would tell myself to settle into college first before I try to go out to party too much. I would make sure that I tell myself that college is not partying and drinking like it is portrayed on television but it is actually hard work because this determines what you become in life.

Devin

I have just traveled back in time to see myself. I walk into the gym, where I spent a lot of time shootin hoops and hanging around. But I'm not there to do that, I'm there to tell myself to get more involved in my classes instead of wondering around. I tell my past self to take Anatomy and Physiology so I can have an edge when I take the class in college. I also tell myself that if I work hard in high school it will greatly pay off in college. Finally I tell myself to apply for every scholarship possible, because when it comes to being in college, money is scarce. It is hard to get extra money to help pay for a better education when attending school full time. Maybe my past self should save up some spending money for the future. So don't take advantage of the free time you have in high school because it can really hurt your college grades and time studying.

Erica

Looking back at my self as a Senior i would probably tell myself, to start with all my College things ahead of time & to do my best. Start applying for collges and all kinds of grants and scholarships way before i graduate. Things will get hard if you decide to do it last minute. Go and do actual tours of the schools and narrow it down to the schools with your main interest. Look into taking CLEP testing & that your first year of college is no time for play; It will all be serious. That you can only drop so many classes so think about what you take and how much you can handle. That if you finish with most of your classes before senior year take classes that you know will help you out with your Major for College. It will help out in the in & also being in extra activites; weather sport or honors clubs will look good on applications. As well as Recommdations letters will be good from teachers that see how hard you have worked and know that you will do just as good in College.

Tara

The advice I would give myself would be to enjoy your life! Do not stress over the small stuff because in the end it is all a learning experience and it helps develop you into the person that you aare meant to be! I would also tell myself that life is full of laughter and pain, joy and sorrow. But life is also full of pure adventure because no day is ever the same, so don't stress be a Senior and have fun but know that no matter what as long as you believe in yourself and do your best, there is nothing more you could ask for.

Lisha

Stay in school, silly!

Shainna

The one thing I would tell myself is to apply earlier. My school puts students with good GPA's in the running for scholarship money, if they apply early. I applied regualer desicion, and therefore lost out on the oppotunity.

marie

Beware of alcohol. Seriously, it can mess you up.

Destini

I would tell myself to make sure the classes you take can go towards your major. Also to concentrate more on classes and try to get a part-time job to help pay for my bills.

John

Look very hard to find the RIGHT college. Don't just apply, get accepted and go - find the right one for you!

Ryan

To really evaluate yourself as a person first and then try to find the college that best suits your needs. Don't just evaluate yourself in broad and general terms. Really delve deep into what it is that you like as a person and try to find somewhere that meets those criteria as best as possible. Don't settle for anything because I know from experience that you will end up regretting it and have to go through the tranferring process....possibly twice.

Kayla

Finding the right college for you is one of the most important decisions of your life. It is not only about where you will receive your education (although that is a major part), but it is also about where you will be spending the next four years of your life. Make a list of qualities that you know you want in a school and then start searching for schools that match your description. Most likely, you will end up with several to look into. Dig deeper into those schools on your list to narrow it down even further. Explore their websites, take college visits, and speak with admissions counselors. A nice way to get a look at what it is like to attend that school is to stay over night. You will meet students and faculty, get a better look at the campus, and maybe even attend a class. Once your decision is made, apply to your top few schools and then make the final decision. After you are accepted, a new life begins. Take part in activities and clubs on campus. This helps with meeting new people and making for an easier transition from high school to college.

Ranieshia

I would say that the best thing you can do to make sure that you are making the best choice is to really talk to students who are currently attending the University . Also, looking at as many colleges as possible will help you acquire a feel for what it is that you are looking for when it comes to your educational, and campus needs. To make the most of your college experience you need to get invloved with the school. At my University there is a office called the CCE, Center for Civic Engagement, that hosts events at least once a week that include activities like volunteering with middle school students; painting murals; or even planting trees. Not only does it make it easier to make friends, or meet new people, but it also makes you feel better about yourself for not having wasted another day. You are given the oppurtunity to make a difference one step at a time, which in turns makes you want to do more for the community. I don't know about you, but i see this as a good thing.

Noel

The advice I would give to parents and student about finding the right college is to plan carefully. Try to get a budget for how much they are willing to go into debt over and pick a school, not completely based off that, but definitly realize that it is an issue. Also, it may be a good a idea to have a standard diviation of that. Make sure the college you attend has all the aminities you want or feel like you will need. Make sure affordable housing is located near the school; living on campus gets old after a while. Make sure you are happy with the size. While visiting colleges, ask the students how they really feel about the school. Make sure your major is offered...duh, but also see what majors are offered that related to your interests, in case you change your mind. See is they have a program where you can make up your own major, an individually planned major. I did an IPM and I'm so glad I did. Stay focused. Try to get a part time job for extra cash. Continue to be active with scholarships, volunteering, and a social life.

Jeffanne

Well, for the next four years, you definitely want to be going somewhere you'll love , and know you will be best prepared for your future goals. I went to a small university because I know I flourish in small environments but decided to go to a big medical school because I wanted something different from what I experienced in my undergrad years. Work hard to earn scholarships and grants in order to loan out as little as you can. I financed school by myself and came out with a decent amount of undergrad loans. All in all, wherever you end up, make the best of it, take the classes you need and the classes you want, join clubs, volunteer, be different but always, always remain you. It'll be the only 4 years of college you'll ever have, so don't be in a rush to grow up to quickly or be sheltered for too long. Good luck!!

Christina

take your time with finding the right school for you and do your research

Thomas

If it feels right, it probably is.

David

Try to be as involved as possible. Try and get as much work experience as possible whether it be through an internship or just a regular job. Study hard and do well. Always care about school, but leave enough time to party and have fun with friends. Try and live on campus so you can stay in the loop. When deciding which school to go to try and talk to some of the professors and try to go somewhere where they have a good masters program. Most of all try and find the best fit for you by talking to the students.

Ariele

My advice to the parents about finding the right college would be to really evaluate their student's personality and learning style. If their student is someone who is very social and likes to go out and do things, a good college for them would be one that is involved with a lot of volunteer work or one that has many things to do on campus. If their student is like me, a person who has difficulty learning and grasping certain concepts, a good college for him/her would be one that is not very big, and one in which the professors are easily accessible. My advice to the students about making the most out of the college experience would be to maintain a balance while in school. I would tell them to stay focused in their schoolwork, but do not forget to have fun and meet new people. The people they may meet here at college most likely end up being lifelong friends. The memories they may create while doing the things they love will last for years to come. If they maintain this balance, they will have a wonderful, well-rounded college experience.

Macy

pick the school that fits you the most! consider what you want to major in and your interests and see if those schools fit your needs and wants. college is all about finding your focus in life!

Kendra

Look for a college that is not only stimulating academically but socially as well. Remember when you go to college you need to have a balance between your academic and your social life. You don't want to pick a college that is all about academics or all about social activities. Also, consider whether or not you are going to have to work to support yourself through college and whether or not the college you pick will be suitable for this. When you get to college please remember that yes you now have freedom, but don't let that go to your head. Don't go to college with a lot of money or you will spend alot of time not focusing on your academics because you will have money to go out every night. Also don't rule a college out just because it is a small school, and there doesn't seem to be a big social atmosphere. College is what you make it. Make sure you study hard, and still leave time for fun. All work and no play will not help you survive your college years, just as all play and no work won't either.

Stephen

The right college is the one that when you walk on campus you feel at home or excited about and can see yourself at. Try as many things as possible while you are at school because this is the time to find out who you are and what you want to do with your life. Be open to different kinds of people regardless of their race, sexuality, religon, etc. You might find that someone who you would write off for being different will be the ones who are there for you when you need it or will be your best friend 30 years down the road. Work hard, but not to the point where you stress over school and can't relax and have a good time. College is the time of your life so live it up.

When choosing a college or university, parents allow your children to make their own decisions. It is their ultimate decision and they have to make their own way. Students, when using a university, do not go based on your initial perceptions. Investigate thoroughly all of your choices before you make your decision. NEVER make a decision to please others, because you yourself will have to live with the consequences. Always remember, be yourself... even if you don't know who that is just yet, and life is about adventure. It's not whether you win or lose it's all in how you play the game!

make sure its a place you want to be

Be sure you investigate every aspect of your school. There are certain things that may seem irrelevant at the time that could affect you later in the college process such as the financial stability that affect the accreditation process of a University.

Peggy

I would suggest to student and parents to visit the colleges that they are interested in and if possible stay a night on campus. Talking to professors and administration to see if they provide the services and classes you are interested is recommended in order to find the best college based on your personal interests. Also, you should look at demographics and the location to see if you'd be happy given the conditions the college is set around.

Laura

No college is going to be absolutely perfect. Each one will have its pros and cons. The most important thing is to find a school that fits you as an individual. One which will provide the facilities you feel are the most important. Also, it is important to pick a school in an area that you can live in and offers the things you need.

Robert

Visit the campus and try to get a feel for the vibe on campus, it sounds like an abstract concept but try it, ignore the facts and numbers the tour guide is giving you and see what you are feeling.

Alex

Look on the internet and talk to alumni

Sam

My main piece of advice would be to do the most thorough research possible on all the available schools. Visit them if you can, and read as much information as you can get your hands on, both the flattering and not so flattering aspects of life at that particular school. Since which college you attend is one of the most critically important decisions of your early life, no amount of information is too much.

kathryn

Pick somewhere you feel comfortable and agree with their academic statement. If your college does not reflect your views then you may find yourself transformed into someone you dislike. College is an extremely important 4 years of life; these are the years that you define yourself and learn who you are. Surrounding oneself with people who are true and sharing connections will make all the difference between a great experience and one that is lacking. A small institution with professors who offer individual aid will be inspiring; nothing beats getting to know who your authority figures and role models are. If you prefer larger classes or have no preference, do not allow yourself to be swallowed up by your invisible class status; college is a once in a lifetime chance to educate and advance yourself, and not attending class or letting your attention drop too often may result in crippling yourself. The best way to survive is simply remembering to be moderate, try not to let any one thing take over and stay balanced. Pick a school where you feelsupported and you can be yourself while still gaining an education.

Vinash

FInd a college that is afforadable, has reasonable accommodations, and has faculty that will help you succeed in your major.

Tahnee

My advice is know your self or your child. Changes happen but you have to realize that college is only what you make it.