Oglethorpe University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oglethorpe University

Adeyemi

Imean I just graduated high school as class of 2020,and I got into Oglethorpe as a student athlete.Unfortunately this whole corona situation has had a toll on the plans a lot had toward school based learning but In the end we’ll thrive. The pertel community of Oglethorpe form what I’ve seen is a very good community whose involvement and investment in every student is very crucial and therefore You should aim to be an oglefam .

Ryan

Oglethorpe University provides a wonderful environment that encourages learning. Whether exemplified inside the classroom or in our variety extra-curricular activities, OU pushes us to think critically and try new things. Though my classes are rigorous and challenging, the Oglethorpe environment fosters the desire to keep going, to truly make a life, make a living, and make a difference. My first year here has taught me that college isn't easy, but it can be a enlightening phase of self-discovery. Despite how much I've come to learn about my major this year, I feel like Oglethorpe has done the most to help me learn about myself, and who I am.

Jacquelyn

It is a good school in the educational aspect; the social aspect, however, can be somewhat dry because it is such a small school. Because of that, there are not very many exciting events, but in Atlanta there is a lot to do! You are familiar with almost everyone. It is like a small community.

Alexis

Oglethorpe University is a great liberal arts college. Oglethorpe University offers so much to do on campus, and gives its students the opportunity to participate within the community. Academics are always at center stage at Oglethorpe University, and professors work hard to provide the best education to their students. I would highly recommend Oglethorpe University to anyone looking for small and personal class sizes, but big educational and recreational aspects of college life.

McKenzie

Before I attended Oglethorpe I thought it was the best place in the world. Now my opinion is very different. The small class sizes are the best thing about this school. Freshman dorms are gross, administration couldn't care less about us, and the food is mediocre. The housing requirement sucks because you don't get what you pay for. I would only go here if you have an amazing scholarship, it is not worth drowning in student loans for.

Kieara

The academics are great, but the small campus feel is similar to high school all over again. The class sizes are small so the professors know you personally. The food is horrible, but there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The location of the campus is great, it's in a safe neighborhood and the gate to the school locks at nine pm

Isabel

Its campus is beautiful and it is located in a really good spot in Atlanta because everything you need is near. Class size is small therefore you get to learn more and have one on one experience with professor. Its a really small community where you get to know everyone.

Georgiana

Oglethorpe University is a great school because they help you achieve many accomplishments in the world with their bountiful opportunities that are offered at the school. We are also encouraged to take classes that may not help us necessarily learn about our desired careers but help us engage in learning for the sake of it being fun and beneficial. At this school, there are many after-school clubs that help you to engage in the school community, the general community, and help you engage in kind acts that help make the world a better places but also helps shape your character to help you create a better version of yourself.

Josue

At first i wanted to get as far away as possible from Atlanta because Ive lived here all my life. When i first applied to Oglethorpe it was because college advisor said it would be a good place for me. I didn't really have any reason at first but after a while I realized the benefits of attending. The top three reasons that convinced me to attend Oglethorpe were money, size, and the location that Oglethorpe is in. At first I was suppose to attend Colorado state university last fall but since it is a school out of state it was a lot more expensive to attend than attending Oglethorpe in the spring. Even with all of the scholarships and money from my family the total tuition for all four years would of been more than staying in state. At first I thought that a big school, was the right choice for me because I thought I wanted to attend a big school with big class rooms, but I later realized that I would have a better learning experience with smaller class rooms. With smaller class rooms it would allow me to have a better relationship with my professors and have a better chance on having one on one conversation with them. Which would allow me to ask more question if i need extra help in one of my classes. My final top reason for me attending Oglethorpe is because its right in the city and I don't like living in the middle of nowhere. Professors are always willing to help their students after class and they try to get to know their students. Overall attending Oglethorpe was a great choice.

Tyson

I honestly am highly satisfied with Oglethorpe University. It's a small school so I can get to know people better and I'm making a lot of good friends there. It's in a great area in Atlanta with a MARTA station nearby. Our sports teams win, they hold events and activities on-campus. The professors are awesome and I believe I made the right decision by coming here.

Jesse A

Oglethorpe University is a unique environment to attend college. At Oglethorpe, you get this mixed situation to where the college itself feels small, but the location makes it feel big. Atlanta is a great place to be located. There is plenty to do. Everyone on campus virtually knows each other, and the faculty and staff actually come across genuine. There is a general atmosphere for success, and anyone who attends Oglethorpe can attest that it is contagious.

John

The academic scene is very professional yet easy for new students to get accustomed to their new curriculum. It is also easy for students to get involved as Oglethorpe has plenty of clubs of interest to choose from. However, the housing and food on campus is about average at best, but improvements are being made to raise the quality. Oglethorpe is one of the best when it comes to academics and students certainly get their money's worth, but it still has its problems like any other college.

Toju

Beautiful campus, Hogwarts looking. Enhances critical thinking, opens the mind. Small university, individualized teaching. Great academic support and follow-up. Small classes with personalized attention, liberal arts education, focus on service, combined with access to Atlanta's large city resources all create an incredible educational experience. They are also generous with financial aid.

Hadia

Oglethorpe is a great place to be! We're a small campus, and that's one of the things that each student here loves about the school. We know and each other, we're all involved in matters that concern each one of us, and we have a lot of "Petrel Pride". Our professors are not just lecturers in our classrooms, they are family. They are always there when they need the, they offer unconditional support, and they're a big part of what Oglethorpe is today.

Zacchaeus

Oglethorpe University is an extremely unique college. The people, atmosphere, staff, and campus have me very interested about going to this school within the next few days. I already know my room mates, and I hope to get to know them even better. The traditions, lore, and look of my college is very intriguing and will make anyone interested this school.

Chrysta

Oglethorpe University is truly an odd, but loveable place. While our food may not be great, along with several other colleges, the people I have met during my time here definitely makes up for it. I have met more kindhearted and genuine people here in my freshman year alone than I had ever before. Oglethorpe University is similar to the quirky aunt at family reunions. You overlook some of the bad traits, such as frustration with the administration for not conveying information about certain events that would have been beneficial, because she's just so fun and different from anyone you know. As well as having a beautiful, and for the most part calm campus, the classes are pretty interesting as well. Students get plenty of one-on-one time with professors because of the small class size, and have numerous opportunities to succeed. The Psychology Department in particular is comprised of many wonderful teachers, who relate readings/concepts taught in class to relatable real world examples. It is easy for students to get caught in the "ogle bubble," but the bubble is equally as easy to break. The entire city of Atlanta surrounds the school allowing for breaks from the caf, as well as routine.

Oglethorpe is a place that you quickly learn to call home. With such a small campus it's hard to feel left out or forgotten. The faculty really do stress working with the individual and they will always make time for a student. And the on-campus security is incredible, they pay close attention and know everyone. And it's an amazing place to start your life at because there's someone on campus that has connections in your prospective field, I can promise that.

Reina

I love Oglethorpe University, but if you want a big campus this is not the place for you. OU has a really big family feel to it and I think that is something that is really important when choosing a school. The professors are really cool and although the have regular office hours they are always available to help, or if you just want to talk. Oglethorpe is a really great school and I am glad that I took the time to research and find the right school for me.

It’s a small private college, but it houses a huge community that acts like a family. Faculty are always willing to help, you just need to take the initiative to go to their office. There hasn’t been one person I’ve meet who is attending this school who doesn’t want you to go to this school because they love it at OU.

Lillian

Oglethorpe University is an amazing place - from its gothic architecture to its grandiose library, from the Turner-Lynch Campus Center Game Room to the Cafeteria, it's an amazing place to be. There are 8 Greek Life programs on campus, every Wednesday the Art club meets, Black Student Caucus is integral to the function of the school, so there are plenty of opportunities for students to get involved. I love the active nature of the campus, and with the A_LAB hosting many events, there is always the option to volunteer. The food is excellent with options of pizza, stir fry, burgers, and also vegan and vegetarian options as well. I frequently enjoy the vegan mac & cheese. There is a Starbucks located in the Turner-Lynch Campus Center Game Room, so if the Cafeteria is closed, that is always an option. The library is extensive, and there is a museum on the second floor, and brand new film and media studios were created in the basement this year. The brand new Cousins Center for Science and Innovation is a great place to study and is very comfortable with couches and large chairs. There are private rooms to study by yourself or with a small group, and the windows are glass, so there is the option to write on them with a dry erase marker to put down your thoughts. The building has many windows so it's filled with natural light. The labs are state-of-the-art with brand new supplies. It is one of my favorite places on campus. The only problem I have is in my dorm with the water as the county has boil warnings occasionally. Overall, it is an excellent college and is very much so worth its price.

Mykal

Oglethorpe is overall a very good school. The sense of community is strong, there are small class sizes, and the professors know their students personally. They also have a wide array of extracurricular activities that you can participate in. You never have to worry about a lack of help or resources.