Ohio Dominican University Top Questions

Bhavya

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and make transition, I would suggest my self to work hard and get some AP Classes or Honor Classes which would help in college level studies. I would like to work hard so that my GPA wouldnt have been too low as well as I would have studied better for SAT/ACT and would have got scholarships unlike today. Applying to as many as universities and colleges would have been better option unlike applying only to one. Asking people, superiors, senior to me would have been a better choice. If I could go back in time i would like to go 3 years back from now so that I would become better person.

Find a place that you are comfortable. Don't just go where your friends go. Consider the class type and class size. Do not go from a small farm town straight to the largest university on earth - you will not do well. Find a place that fits your personality. Do the research. Check the parking situation, the food, the area around campus, the sports teams. Everything matters so leave no stone unturned. If you are going to spend a large chunk of your life living and learning at a college make sure it fits.

If I was able to go back in time to communicate with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take into consideration the amount of money college costs, and start saving for tuition ahead of time. Schooling is definitely not cheap and it is nearly impossible to make ends meet. Also, I would mention how to start saving money especially since books are extremely expensive. Books are necessary for school, and it nearly cost $500 each year to order books. Next, I would recommend doing research over schools. Find out what school best fits your personality type, and which college best fits your area of interest. It is very important not to attend a school because it is cheap, but to attend a school you are truly interested in. Finally, I would tell myself to look for additional resources my college of interest has available. For example, some schools have programs available before school starts to make the transition from high school to college easier. Usually it's helpful especially so you can experience. College is definitely a step higher than high school, especially with the amount of studying and being independent.

ElizaBeth

I received a great education from my experience and met some people that became very good friends. Ohio Dominican high standards for such a small university, so my degree is respected within the community. When people find out that I graduated from Ohio Dominican they are impressed.

It may sound cheesy, it may sound cliche. But the reason why college has been valuable to me has been the learning experience. I've learned a lot about in the various courses I've taken, like computer programming and macroeconomics. But the most valuable thing I've learned is about myself. I've discovered that I want to help poeple in some way. I don't know how I want to do this. But I want to add something positive to the lives of others. Maybe by composing or performing music, or by teaching about great literature. But I know that I want to count for something good. That is the most valuable thing I have learned. Austin Koenig

Lynn

The three things that will stick with me the most are the things I have learned, the experiences I have had, and the peaope I have met and will never forget. The education I learned was directed by what I wanted to learn, and how I wanted to learn it. The professors did everything possible to help me reach my potential; I never once had a professor that I absolutely did not get along with. There was hardly ever a dull moment, even in the lecture halls, which enticed me to WANT to go to class and learn. The people I have met, and the friends I have made will never be forgotten; even if they have gone back to their home country. The experiences I had with the friends I made will forever be rememered; whether it was a water balloon fight out on the oval, tailgate parties before the football games, gallery hops down High Street, testing how many people we could fit at one table in the dining hall during dinner, or game night in the dorm; there was never a dull moment there either. My friends have become my family .

Simply getting involved around campus has presented so many amazing opportunities: I joined the marching band, making lifelong friends. We may be very different from one another, but are all connected by the love of music. I joined the campus’ chapel choir, playing the clarinet at mass every Sunday. This has continued to strengthen my spirituality. Finally, being recommended for, interviewed, and accepted into the Dominican Scholars Program has been a great honor. Through the Dominican Scholars program, using my musical talent, I became the volunteer band director in the charter middle school across campus. One hour, three times per week, I teach a class of very diverse children who started out with very little instrumental knowledge, and no experience with counting, but had a passion to learn. In just a few months time, I was able to help these children learn the entirety of three separate songs, perform on the Panther football field with my college band during a halftime show, and give a celebration concert for their parents. Throughout my journey of giving the gift of music to these children, I found an assurance within myself that my chosen major, Special Education, is a perfect fit for me.

Heriberto

I have received a valuable educational foundation that will help me pursue and accomplish my educational and professional goals. The teachers are dedicated and devoted to making sure that their students have not only an understanding of the class but are also committed to helping the students develop the skills that will help them succeed in their future careers. Morton College has helped me develop tremendously and has taught me the value of a good education. The many available resources that the college has to offer make learning not only easy but also enjoyable. Resources, such as tutoring helped me understand the subjects that I had trouble with in the classroom. Morton College not only establishes a great educational environment but it also offers a place that feels like home. Teachers and staff are professionals and are always there to help students and advise them on how to approach class more efficiently. I can sincerely say that Morton has been a home, and a great educational experience.

kelley

I got a lot of going to this university. I have learned a lot about myself and others. I have also learned a lot about the material that is going to help me perform as a better clinican. I have made long life friends and networked with a lot of professionals that are going to see me through the rest of my life path. This experience has been valuable to me because it is a once in a life time oppurtunity for me. I am the first in my family to attend college or even have the thought to do so. It means a lot to me to get this degree that I have worked very hard for. The most valuable experience that I will get out of this is the ability to hold the degree I will have to be able to better other's lives and help them through thier life path. Knowing that I can at least help one person in their life journey is why I started college in the first place.

Kiani

With me only going into my second year of college, I have enjoyed my college experience thus far. The things that I have gotten out of my experience are unlimited. I learned how to be more sociable. I learned the value of studying and working for my grade. I learned how to push through school when I had personal encounters going on. I learned how being involved on campus can have an impact on your grades in school. I have learned about many people on that campus. It's a well developed school who is yet growing. I plan to be there for the rest of my educational term and graduate from there. I love my school and definitely look forward to the few years I have left.

My college experience has gone beyond drinking, making lasting friendships, and partying. What college taught me was to live on my own. Before I was driven an hour away and dropped off in what at the time looked like a state prison, was I totally dependent on my parents. I needed that little push from my parents to get the true man in me to come out. For out of the decisions made at three o?clock in the morning, with no one to tell you what to do, comes the factors that influence the rest of a person?s life. Whether the decision represents a person?s responsibility or mistakes, it was his decision to look in the eye. Thanks for your time, love your site -Josh Weitz

Alma

Become a person of focus. It is extremely easy to lose focus on the very reasons why you came to college. Set goals and stick to them is another peice of advice. Remain true to yourself and don't conform to anyone or thing. Last but not least: SAVE FOR BOOKS!

If I could talk to the senior me, as myself right now I would have so much advice. I would start by saying " Get Involved". It is so important to be involved in some type of activity/ activities. I have spoken to so many college students who regret not doing the school car wash or playing that sport they were interested in, even if they weren't good at it. Getting involved can help you a lot when applying to schools and for scholarships. I would also mention that all the work you don't FEEL like doing.DO IT. It's not that bad. It' will be over with before you know it. You'll feel better to know you graduated at the very top of your class then the bottom or just average with everyone else. Most of all do your best and enjoy the experience. Hiogh school is one of a kind and everyone doesn't get to make it to or throught it so, ENJOY.

bronlynn

Talking to myself as a high school senior about going to college would be a lot different the second time around. The opportunities that one can have with a college degree is termindious. I would definitely convience myself that college life is fun meeting new people with different ideas then your own. The transition was harder for me now at the age of 61 then it would have been at 18. I feel fortunate to be able to go back to college and get my degree.

Barbara

As a high school senior I wish I understood the importance of a college education and the importance of working hard in studies that partying does not pay and is non-productive. When selecting a course of study it is important to pick something that one has a passion for. Find a purpose in life that is meaningful and will make a difference. Remember to make good choices and to be able to face yourself in the mirror knowing that you always do the best you can, and the easiest way is not always best. Standing up for what you believe in is important and have the courage to stand up for yourself and others against injustices. Most of all have confidence in yourself and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

Rita

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college takes a lot of focus, and to start practicing right now while I still have time. It also take discipline because the professors are not there to baby your, they treat you as if you are in the real world and you are responsible for everything that you do, or do not do. It would also be smart to save money whenever I would get the chance beacause books are not cheap and can cost as much as $200 for one book, when I actually need to buy at least four, so I will be spending at least $500. One of the last things I would tell myself is to enjoy college every step of the way, have no regrets, laugh often and cry as often as needed because college is stressful, which is why I would need to prepare myself and start managing my time when I find out my school schedule and work schedule because it can all get hard, especially with a child.

Sonja

Discipline and patience are good things to learn. Read or review class notes at least weekly. Don't expect your roommates to become your best friends. It's usually not a good idea to room with your best friend! Find time to exercise regularly. Realize that you are not alone in feelings of loneliness, homesickness or inadequacy. Seek out a resident director or friend for counsel. Don't worry about your appearance or try to impress everyone you meet. No matter how much you think you have everything figured out for the next four years -- major, career, relationships -- it's difficult to predict and stick with the original plan. It's bound to change as your horizons broaden.

Constance

If I could go back in time I would strongly encourage myself to take advantage of advanced placement courses. I only took one course not truly understanding its value until after attending college. I would also tell myself the value of a dollar. If I had learned how truly valuable frugality and saving up was before college, then a lot of stress could have been avoided.

I would tell myself to focus more on school to achieve a 4.0 and study what makes you happy.

Lucista

I will urge them to do their best and never let lazyness take the best of them. College life is not about who gets the 4.00 GPA each semester but actually the person that works hard and actually remember what he or she has learned.

Take everything easy, it is not going to be an easy step in your life. However you can and will make it through. First have faith and believe in yourself, everything else will come to you. Things may happen in the next couple of years that you will not understand but they are just stepping stones. Going to college is the correct path so keep following it. When you need help do not be afraid to seek it for you will find many people willing to help you. No one said that life was easy because it is not. Life is what you make out of it and I wish you luck in the next couple of years. Remember have fun and enjoy getting to know yourself but do not take life so seriously. No one gets out alive so just live!

I would tell myself to get more involved in activities my freshman year of college. It is easier that way to meet new people, and it also helps to break you out of your shell.

Ann

The best advise is to vist the school. They will not get the fell of what the school is like unless they go for a vist to see what the school and area is really like.

lucista

The most important things about a college is the size, the community that inhabits it and is academic achievement. When looking for a college or choosing one between a variety of choices, one should concentrate on a comfortable size, whether big, small or average. The size of a campus tells a lot about the community, whether the teachers are always available for students or thelectures take place in crowded auditoriums. In order to be at ease in a school, one should be happy with the size of the school, the small or big community and the recognition of the school.

Donald

Visit as many different colleges as possible. Parents can offer their opinions of the potential schools , but ultimately, the student should choose the school that they want to go to. Do not base your decision solely on where your high school friends are going to college. You will make many new friends and part of the fun is that college is a new experience. I would advise living on campus for at least the first two years to get the ultimate college experience and make a lot of great new friends. Study hard but also make time for your social life because you are only an undergraduate once and it should be a memorable, exciting, and fun experience. Try to get an internship while going to school. Internships give you great experience toward your chosen career path and also let you know if you have chosen the right major. Employers who hire interns usually offer more flexibilty and work around your school schedule. Internships also often turn into full-time job offers.

Tonya

I think it is very important for students and their families to visit each campus they are considering. Just because on paper a college seems perfect, you might not think its perfect when they visit the campus they may not love it as much as they thought they would. While visiting the campus I would suggest setting up a tour with one of the students from that campus that way you can get a student's point of view of the campus lifestyle. As for making the most of your college experience, I suggest living on campus at least for the first year that you attend, that way you can make friends on campus more easily then trying to make friends during class when you don't have that much time to get to know someone. Now that I look back on my freshman and sophomore year, I can't imagine not living on campus, I really don't believe that I would have made the friends that I have now, or all the fun memories that I've made.

Sapna

Make sure that the college is fit to your needs, otherwise you will be very unhappy with the years you spend at the school you have choosen.

TO BE THEMSELVES IN COLLEGE TO MAKE LIFE LONG FRIENDS AND MEMORIES.

Finding the right campus for you is all about choosing the right environment, area, and campus type to fit your personal style. If your looking for one on one consultation with professors and advisors.

I would tell parents and students to look at what is important to them, such as location, degree and cost. College is a place that you will be for the next four or more years. You want to pick a campus that you feel comfortable at. Also, do not pick a school that you do not like because your friends and family want you to go there. Go on as many campus tours as possible to make sure that you like and enjoy the campus and location. When you go on a campus tour ask lots of questions that is what the tour guides are for. Ask questions about your intended degree. If you know what your degree is going to be make sure you pick a school that has a good program and good reputation for job placement. For your freshman year, go to the activities fair and look at all the different campus organizations. Go to many events your freshman year as well. You will meet tons of new people and get your face out there. The best way to make the most of your college experience is to try new things.

Work together and avoid loans. Its too big a step for students to try to tackle without support.

Don't feel confined to initiate college immediatly after high school. There is no shame in waiting, working, and discovering more about yourself before you start post-secondary education. Don't be intimidated by summer courses. Check out your school's CLEP testing options to test out of courses too!

KC

Tour the school and discover what kind of personality the student has. The resources around campus will for the most part determine what the student will do in their free time.

Look at every school you can, and really think about how much it is to go there. It will matter a lot more 4 years from now that it will at this point and time, but its very important.

Zane

If it feels right then I found it is right. Enjoy college and become all you can be.

Visit the schools and ask questions about anything and everything.

Alathea

Let your chuld grow into adulthood by themselves. Once they are in college do not be on their back about the little things but let them enjoy it and make their own mistakes. Trust that you have raised them well... DO NOT STRESS!!!

Dont fall for the attractive stuff they tell you to entise you. Figure out what you want to study, how big you want the school to be, where you want to be and the cost. Let those be the deciding factors.

Finding the "right" college for you is all about your own personality and what kind of environment you feel safe in. If you are used to being in classes of 20, usually a big college with classes of 100 won't be your right choice and will be very difficult for you to adjust to such a big change. When searching for the college that is right for you be sure to explore and apply to numerous colleges rather then just one. Applying to many schools keeps your options opened. Visiting these schools is always a good idea too. Sit in on classes, talk to both professors along with students of that college to get their opinions. Making the most of your college experience is also very important. College is known to be one of the best times of your life, but the biggest thing is to balance both your social and academic life equally. Joining new groups or clubs is also a good way to live college life to its fullest and find things that intrest you and lastly work hard but have fun!

Go to a college which fits your personality. Do not try and adjust to the school, go to a school where you don't have to adjust, where you don't have to change who you are to fit in with the culture.

Mat

Visit the university and spend a weekend before one makes their decision. Do not look for what you need on paper but could possibily need. Look for a location that doesn't just allow you grow educationally but professionally. Because what you do with your degree is more important than that location you can tolerate. Just because its a great school, it needs to be a good place for internships and practicums.

Krista

I would say just to go with what you feel. Don't get too wrapped up in the money or anything like that. If the school feels right to you, then go for it because it probably is the right choice for you. Also, pick things for you. Don't go to school just because your parents want you to be on the basketball or football team, or they want you to follow in their footsteps. Be your own individual and do the things that your heart desires. You will be happier in the end fulfulling your own dreams rather than the dreams of someone else. No one knows you better than you, so listen to yourself.

Shop around to find things that best work for you in the college/university you want to attend. I have had many friends that are here for the wrong reason and just end up wasting their time and money. College is a fun time but also a time to define who you are in this world, don't get too caught up in the moment.

Jack

Let your child decide and make sure you take a campus tour and ask the students walking around campus all your questions not the tour guides who are paid to make the school look good for prospective students.

Please never play sports and go to ohio state university and have fun do not come to a small bible thumping college you will hate your life and waste your money for nothing small schools like OHIO DOMINICAN are the worst never under any circumstances come to a school like OHIO DOMINICAN i can not stress how much you will hate your life if you had a choice between going to OHIO DOMINICAN and working for the rest of your life at burger king i would say work because you will gain nothing from small schools like OHIO DOMINICAN going to OHIO DOMINICAN is easyily the would choice i have ever made in my life please never come here they will take all your money give you shit food put you in craped dorms and then take more of your money

Gregory

There is a lot of advice that I would give to the parents and students that are trying to make the right college choice and getting the most out of their experience. First, make sure you visit the college prior to saying that you will attend. This is VERY important. It lets you get a feeling of the campus and to see if you get the right "vibe." Second, try to spend a night in the dorms. I did this to all the colleges that were in my top choic, and it definately helped me make a right decision. Third, if you are thinking about attending a college farther away from home, make sure you are comfortable about being away from your family and parents. I live three hours away from Ohio Dominican, and I pretty much only get to go home during regularly scheduled breaks, but this is okay with me. I definately like being at a school out of state as well, and being in a big city like Columbus and having OSU down the street and a lot of things to do socially on and off of the ODU campus. Thanks! Hope you choice wisely :)

make sure to travel around. visit many schools from small to big. you never know what you might like and dislike until you see everything. even though the cost of going to college is alot these days, if you get a good education and take that on into your future, getting a good job and having a good future is alot greater than having to worry about the money. also be involved in what college and university you attend. its an easy way to meet new people.

Visit several different schools, that offer your projected major and which ever feels most comfortable, choose that school. That and look at the amount of financial aid you're getting.

I would tell the students to imagine a place that they've always wanted to live, and define it to themselves, in either images or words, and remember it. Then try to imagine themselves working, after college, and decide how much they want to learn while in college in order to work happier and easier after college. Again, define it. Then I would tell them never to settle, only go to a place that makes their hearts flutter with happiness. Any college they go to will be expensive, and they'll be living there for four years, it should be somewhere they love, and also somewhere that fits their needs., no matter the expense. The most expensive school can be paid off with work, but a bad school can change the rest of their lives for the worse.

I would tell prospective students that Ohio Dominican University has really changed me for the better. I have become more open minded towards other peoples' beliefs and traditions and I am no longer ignorant of those who are different from me. The strict curriculum has made me a more productive student and more studious in my un-ending thirst for knowledge within my major and in general. ODU has also made me more social and willing to open up with other people. I will be with some of these people for the next four or more years, so why not get to know them now and become enlightened with what they have come to know and understand. It's a huge world out there and Ohio Dominican University is just the first step in becoming successful in that big world.