Ada, OH
Ohio Northern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ohio Northern University

Monika

I have learned how to build relationships with new peaople and have acquired great social skills. I have learned that studying is more than just reading back over your notes. I have learned about many different subjects that I was never interested in before I came to college. I have even learned a lot about myself. College requires you to be strong, and I think I am stronger than I have ever been. So not only has college provided me with a bast array of knowledge, but it has also helped me discover myself as a woman and my peers as human beings. College is not just education, it is a life experience.

Someone who likes small towns, close knit relationships, and a lot of one on one time with their professors.

It is pretty expensive, and sometimes feels like you are throwing away a lot of money.

Sara

I have learned how to use many skills such as study skills and math skills. This school is preparing me for, and is going to help me complete my degree in pastry arts and so far has taught me at a decent level. For a community college the professors are very interested in seeing their students grow and are very helpful compared to some other schools teachers. It has been valuable for me to attend CSN because since attending there I have gained much more knowledge. I am now better in all the fields I need to be good at to enter my program and I have all the knowledge I need to become what I want to be in life, all thanks to CSN.

Ohio Northern is a small school that genuinely cares about its students and wants them to do well. It allowed me to play sports, be involved in clubs on campus, and also keep up with my school work load. The campus is beautiful and there is always something going on that students can get involved in. Most of the other schools that I looked at were larger schools and to them, it seemed like I would be just another student. But at Northern, I am a person, and the professors actually know your name and want you to do well.

There are so many things that I have learned in my college experience that it will be very difficult to name just a few. The biggest one is probably self-confidence. Transitioning to college life was an adventure to say the least. I questioned whether I would be able to handle living on my own and handling obstacles as they arose. ONU made that transition very easy. I learned that I can handle "real life" when I come to that step of my life. The second most important thing that I have gotten out of my college experience, are the best friends that I could ever imagine. My friends have gotten me through tough times and I can't imagine not having them in my life. Finally, I have learned how to balance my time evenly amongst all of my commitments. Playing a varsity sport in college while managing a Pharmacy curriculum is not an easy task and I had to learn really quick how to do it. Also from playing a varsity sport comes the practice of working toward a common goal with a team of people. I have loved my college experience and wold not change a thing.

The worst part of ONU is probably the brutally cold and snowy winters. It gets really cold in the winter and then when the snow starts falling the walk to classes is a little rough. With most of the housing within walking distance to the campus, there are many students fighting the snow covered sidewalks to get to class. If the university could come up with a better way to clear the sidewalks for students, it would be greatly appreciated.

David

Throughout primary and secondary school, many people learn to give a large amount of focus to learning the most material possible and becoming academic giants. The smartest people in the class are the ones who tend to be most recognized while everyone else is looked upon. This leads students to believe that academics are the one and only key to success. However, in college, I have learned otherwise. Being the smartest person across the board is not necessarily as important as showing a willingness to learn, presenting my best effort, and always asking questions whenever I have them. In fact, this is what college is soley about in addition to teaching me how to live independently and interact with others. It is highly unlikely that I will remember everything that I am taught over the course of four years. In fact, work places will even offer extra training and reteach anything that is needed to help me do my job. It is the valuable hard working skills I develop in college and the willingness to be humble and learn that will carry me throughout life wherever I go.

Ohio Northern University is ideal for any focused and hard working student who doesn't mind living in a small and very quiet town.

The most frustrating thing about Ohio Northern University is the very small size and also the lack of immediate off campus extra-curricular options for the students.

Christina

The pharmacy program is well known (6 year program) and they also have a good engineering college.

So far I have learned alot about the engineering world and how to succeed in it but I know there's still so much more to learn. My favorite classes so far have been Discrete Math and Religions East and West. Most of my professors have been very helpful and kind and the ones that weren't helped me learn how to study and learn better on my own. I am currently the Philanthropy Chair of the ONU chapter of Phi Sigma Rho, an engineering sorority, and have learned alot from my sisters. I've also found alot of friends through the fencing club here on campus. I enjoy the sport even though I'm in no way a pro and the members are all very quirky and what some might call nerdy but I love everyone there and can't imagine what going to another school, especially one that didn't offer this sport, would be like!

Sometimes the professors don't seem to have enough supplies/room for everyone during labs. Also, the cafeteria food isn't the best.

There are many things I have learned and taken from my experiences at ONU. The most important are communicating skills and independence. I have always kept to myself or my family. Here at ONU I am majoring in Athletic Training, and it has forced me to be more socialable. Everyday I am working one on one with Athletic Trainers and athletes. I have learned how to communicate with them on a professional level and how to feel comfortable while doing it. I am also pushed everyday to work out problems on my own. Although my professors are there to guide me, they also encourage me to be independant and not always lean on them for answers. After graduating from ONU, I plan on attending grad school for Physical Therapy. As a PT I will be working with people everyday. To be successful, I will need to have strong communication skills with my patients and their doctors. I will also need to be able to design rehabilitation programs on my own and not depend on others to do it for me. The skills I have obtained thus far from ONU will most certainly contribute to a successful future.

I brag about the small size. I love how small the classes are. It allows you to get to know your classmates and professors on a more personal level.

The most frusterating thing is the town. There is not much to do here in Ada. For the most part you have to drive outside of town to find something to do.

Donald

The best advice I could give myself knowing what I know now is that I found out that a college education does impact your career earnings and promotions. I graduated HS in 1975 and thought that I did not need to go to college because working and making money was easier than reading and writing. Low and behold here I am with two children in college along with myself going back to school and I don't kknow how I will pay for it. I have over 25 years in my profession and have peaked out to where I cannot obtain a higher paying job because of my lack of education. Although I believe this is not fair it actually does happen in the real world. People in my profession with less experience and a college degree earn 25- 50% more than I do, that alone would help pay off at least one tuition. So be it, although there are many successful people without college degrees there are many more with them. Be smart Donald, take advantage of every program offered to you because you never know when you might need that information later on in life.

Knowing what I know now about college life there are a few pieces of advice that I would offer myself as a high school senior. First, don't focus solely on GPA. Yes, it is important to learn and to do well, but an A is not everything and a B isn't the end of the world. Second, supplement your academic studies in class with participation is professional organizations or extracurricular activities that interest you. These provide a great way to meet people and network, apply what you have learned, gain real world experience, as well as to have fun. Making the transition from high school to college is hard. Living with the people you go to classes with can be hard so there are a few things you should know about this as well. First, give yourself some freetime alone. This allows you to refocus and maintain your sanity. Second, forgive people. When you live with people you are bound to find nitpicky things that annoy you. Don't let them get you down. Focus on the positives and give people more credit. Most of all, learn and have fun, because you will never be in college again.

The worst thing about my school is the living situation. The dorms and apartments are nice, however, they are not built to be quiet. I can always hear the people who live above me in the apartments banging around in their room, yelling, and coming back late at night orearly in the morning. Everyone has a right to live, but often I am kept awake and my roommate and I have a hard time studying. Other people have complained about this as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the location. I enjoy the small town atmosphere, but there really is not a lot to do in Ada. The nearest mall and actual city is about 30 minutes away. So I am often stuck in town bored and wondering what to do. In the winter when it snows and the weather is bad, th situation is even worse, as there is no possible way to get out of town.

First, I would tell myself to not slack off. When I was a senior I stopped studying as much because I did not have to. These study habits carried over into college. I would tell myself to keep up with my study habits becuase then Western Civilization would not be so hard! Next, I would tell myself not to worry about money. That was the biggest stress. I would tell myself that I got the scholarship that made my dreams possible! Also, I would say that people love and support you and they are willing to help pay for the rest. Finally, I would tell myself that deciding to live on campus was the best decision. I have had the chance to meet a ton of new people and step out of my comfort zone. In conclusion, I would tell myself that everything will be fine and you will do great (you end up with a 4.0).

Someone who is not dedicated to school. You have to work hard, and you have to want to succeed.

It is in the middle of no where. It is 15 miles to big stores.

Rian

Our school is best known for its fantastic pharmacy department. Originally, it was a pharmacy and education school. Then the law school was added and the pharmacy department really took off. I only hear excellent things about the program.

I think the best advice I could give to myself if I could go back would be to stay focused. It can be really tough getting started because of all the changes that are made in such a short amount of time, but the transition is much easier when you keep your goal in sight. The more I let my focus stray from what I really wanted to do, the more off track I got. Now I constantly remind myself of why I am really here and what I want to do with my life. I only do what will help me reach this goal. Also, relax and lighten up. If you take yourself too seriously, your world will just come crashing down around you and you will be stuck spending your precious time picking up the peices instead of really living.

I think the worst thing about my school is the slow reaction time of some staff when an issue needs to be addressed. However, this if usually on the nonacademic side of the experience.

Ohio Northern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.