Ada, OH
Ohio Northern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ohio Northern University

Donald

The best advice I could give myself knowing what I know now is that I found out that a college education does impact your career earnings and promotions. I graduated HS in 1975 and thought that I did not need to go to college because working and making money was easier than reading and writing. Low and behold here I am with two children in college along with myself going back to school and I don't kknow how I will pay for it. I have over 25 years in my profession and have peaked out to where I cannot obtain a higher paying job because of my lack of education. Although I believe this is not fair it actually does happen in the real world. People in my profession with less experience and a college degree earn 25- 50% more than I do, that alone would help pay off at least one tuition. So be it, although there are many successful people without college degrees there are many more with them. Be smart Donald, take advantage of every program offered to you because you never know when you might need that information later on in life.

Knowing what I know now about college life there are a few pieces of advice that I would offer myself as a high school senior. First, don't focus solely on GPA. Yes, it is important to learn and to do well, but an A is not everything and a B isn't the end of the world. Second, supplement your academic studies in class with participation is professional organizations or extracurricular activities that interest you. These provide a great way to meet people and network, apply what you have learned, gain real world experience, as well as to have fun. Making the transition from high school to college is hard. Living with the people you go to classes with can be hard so there are a few things you should know about this as well. First, give yourself some freetime alone. This allows you to refocus and maintain your sanity. Second, forgive people. When you live with people you are bound to find nitpicky things that annoy you. Don't let them get you down. Focus on the positives and give people more credit. Most of all, learn and have fun, because you will never be in college again.

The worst thing about my school is the living situation. The dorms and apartments are nice, however, they are not built to be quiet. I can always hear the people who live above me in the apartments banging around in their room, yelling, and coming back late at night orearly in the morning. Everyone has a right to live, but often I am kept awake and my roommate and I have a hard time studying. Other people have complained about this as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the location. I enjoy the small town atmosphere, but there really is not a lot to do in Ada. The nearest mall and actual city is about 30 minutes away. So I am often stuck in town bored and wondering what to do. In the winter when it snows and the weather is bad, th situation is even worse, as there is no possible way to get out of town.

First, I would tell myself to not slack off. When I was a senior I stopped studying as much because I did not have to. These study habits carried over into college. I would tell myself to keep up with my study habits becuase then Western Civilization would not be so hard! Next, I would tell myself not to worry about money. That was the biggest stress. I would tell myself that I got the scholarship that made my dreams possible! Also, I would say that people love and support you and they are willing to help pay for the rest. Finally, I would tell myself that deciding to live on campus was the best decision. I have had the chance to meet a ton of new people and step out of my comfort zone. In conclusion, I would tell myself that everything will be fine and you will do great (you end up with a 4.0).

Someone who is not dedicated to school. You have to work hard, and you have to want to succeed.

It is in the middle of no where. It is 15 miles to big stores.

Rian

Our school is best known for its fantastic pharmacy department. Originally, it was a pharmacy and education school. Then the law school was added and the pharmacy department really took off. I only hear excellent things about the program.

I think the best advice I could give to myself if I could go back would be to stay focused. It can be really tough getting started because of all the changes that are made in such a short amount of time, but the transition is much easier when you keep your goal in sight. The more I let my focus stray from what I really wanted to do, the more off track I got. Now I constantly remind myself of why I am really here and what I want to do with my life. I only do what will help me reach this goal. Also, relax and lighten up. If you take yourself too seriously, your world will just come crashing down around you and you will be stuck spending your precious time picking up the peices instead of really living.

I think the worst thing about my school is the slow reaction time of some staff when an issue needs to be addressed. However, this if usually on the nonacademic side of the experience.

Lisa

College is going to be one of the best experiences of your life so far. Take advantage of every moment of it. It feels a little like summer camp in the beginning. Mom drops you off and you are shuttled from one activity to another during orientation, but then you realize, I am grown up. I don't have to go to any of this. I don't even have to go to class if I do not want to. Go to class. During your first two years you will just want to get through classes with good grades, but actually learn the material! When in your life will you have excessive amounts of time to learn about things you are actually interested in? However, don't become two caught up in academics, realize that a lot of learning is experiencing! Finally, you know how you always want to get away from home (which is why we chose a school 800 miles away)? You will miss it. Understand that as we mature mom will seem wiser and you'll want to talk to her more often, but really she's always been this way. Most importantly soak up every minute.

Overall, I would have to say it is the cost of education. Students who receive financial aid are still graduating with tremendous debt many over $50,000. The school is good to give many scholarships, but much of the aid does not change when tuition rates increase year to year. With the economy currently in a less than good situation. More and more students are becoming aware of the impact student loans will have on their future.

The professors are amazing here at Ohio Northern University! They are, for the most part, always available to studnets. I've had several teachers give me their home phone numbers and say " call if you have any questions". The professors are interested in your life and seeing you succeed. They are aware when we have ups and downs in our lives and are genuinely concerned or happy for the students.

Ryan

I would evaluate myself more deeply and make sure I know what I want in my future. I would try to find out what it is that will make me happy, and what my prioities are. Then I would work more in high school to get myself ready. I would become more independent in high school, and would prepare myself more financially, and emotionally. I would evaluate myself and if I was ready to live far away from home, and if I am looking for more social life, or like the quiet, personal atmosphere. I would find out if it is important for me to be able to speak individually with my professors, or if I can deal with TA's only. I would mostly make sure I knew myself as weell as possible, and know what was most inportant to me, and how to take care of myself, and look out for my own needs.Then, I would evaluate if the coolege I am considering is able to meet those needs, and fit my personality. I know I made the right choice for me!!

The friendly staff/professors, who are willing to help you out in any way possible.

Having to be off campus when it closes for holidays, but am unable to leave campus due to living too far away, or playing sports, and can't leave campus.

Danelle

My school is known for having a very strong Pharmacy program. Most students studying at the school are Pharmacy majors, or somehow Pharmacy related majors.

The most important thing about attending college is to choose a major you are interested in. Don't be scared to choose a major that's not 'practical' because if you choose something you don't enjoy you'll always wonder 'what if?' and you're grades will suffer due to it. The biggest difference between college and high school is the freedom that comes with living on your own. As long as you follow you're own instincts and don't do things because its what everyone else is doing or because its what you think you should do you'll be fine.

If you like the city and the busy life that comes with it, you probably would not enjoy living in Ada. Campus life is strong, but off campus there isn't much going on.

The advise I would give myself would be to: first of all, pay more attention in my Chemistry class and second of all, to let go of those who are tying me down. I feel that if I would have been able to fully dedicate myself to college from the first quarter I was here, I would have gotten involved in all the activities I particpate in sooner. By doing this, I wouldn't be so sad about missing out on a lot of things when I was a freshman. Thirdly, I would tell myself to save all the money I made working, because I could really use it now for tuition and books.

I feel the focus that your major recieves by being seperated into a seperate college like engineering, buisness, law, or pharmacy, helps one to feel comfortable with their choice of study.

A dedicated person, who has strong academic skills and is independent enough to spend long periods of time on campus to really experience everything that the school has to offer. Also, the person should be outgoing and open to meeting new people and forming quick bonds with those people who will surround you at all times.

Adam

ONU is the smallest big university in America.

ONU is the smallest big university in America.

All students come from different backgrounds. Some come from small schools/neighborhoods, and some come from large schools/neighborhoods. Some of them want to stay with what they're used to, and some want to go to the exact opposite extreme. Parents and students need to figure out what they student wants for college. Some colleges/universities are geared for "small town atmospheres" and others are the big D-I schools that have all the programs and activities. Another obvious factor is the student's major. A lot of univesities and colleges will have a certain area that they specialize in, whether it be engineering, pharmacy, law, etc. The student needs to pick a college that caters to the area that they are interested in. As far as making the most of the college experience, the best advice is to get involved. Getting involved accomplishes many things. First of all, the student will stay busier, which actually helps with time management skills. Also, it helps them find a group that leads to lasting friendships. It also broadens their education to outside the classroom. The previously mentioned factors for choosing a college also helps make the most of the college experience.

Ohio Northern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.