Ohio Northern University Top Questions

Open up to those around you, because the world is an inviting place if you give it a chance. Don’t make excuses for yourself for why you can’t attempt to socialize and find the kinds of friends that your parents and their friends always have stories about from their “glory days”, because you could miss out on the chance to meet some of the best people you will ever encounter in this world. They enjoy watching the Game Show Network just as much as you do, and appreciate all your poorly made puns, because these people who started out as just your classmates understand you and you understand them. These are the friends you will remember for the rest of your life, so open your door and find them. You don’t want to be the woman years from now who can’t recall a single good story from college that doesn’t involve environmental research. Make those hypothetical stories a reality when you enter the halls of Ohio Northern University next year, because it is possible, even for an awkward sapling such as yourself. You are capable of anything, even socializing.

It's October 9th 2013 and I'm alive. Senior year I reeked of failure and social awakwardness. I had no plans and goals for after high school. Instead I found myself tangled up in my own madness. I became that nervous villian lurking behind my fellow classmates who were destined for greatness. Me? I was destined for being alone because; nobody wants a weed inside their garden. I treated every senior acitvity like it was waiting at the doctor's office. It's uncomfortable, long, and dreadful. I wished my senior self knew that you didn't need to already have your life planned out by 17. I'm turning 20 in 26 days and I'm still working out the kinks in my career and education path. Depression yanked away the good parts of me and left me broken for two years. I wished I tooked a deep breath and looked at the joyful things in my life. I was editor on literary magazine and I had created wonderful friendships with teachers over the past four years. I now reek of hope and good memories.

Corsica

I would tell myself, "Go big, or go home." There I was, with the ability to apply to any school I wanted, but I limited myself to staying in Ohio because I was afraid to drift away from my comfort zone. Now I am at a school, that I fit into academically but not always when it comes to other ares, such as finances. Ohio Northern is definitely full of many kids who don't have to work for anything. They can simply call their mom, dad, or grandma and ask for whatever their heart desires. As an independent student, I don't have this luxury. I knew college would be difficult with the lack of a support system in place, but I would tell myself, to not only get a summer job, but 'Save, save, save.' Emergencies happen all of the time and we never know when one may occur. And I'll just say, I have had more than my fair share. I would tell myself that, "A lot of people you depend on now, won't be there 3 years from now... and at first, it WILL hurt. But tomorrow is a new day."

Steffany

To say the least, I loathed high school. Not knowing where to start with my future; college was something I couldn’t even grasp. I took the SAT once, ACT once, and I applied to one college. The University of North Carolina at Charlotte and got differed, because my SAT score was too low. If I could go back I would probably smack myself in the face and yell “WAKE UP! This is your entire life, take this seriously! No one else is going to do this for you!” Sebastian from the Little Mermaid puts it best, “if you want something done, you’ve got to do it yourself.” Instead of just waiting around to see if my parents would help or if someone else was going to magically put me into their University. I know now that if you want to achieve anything it comes with small steps that turn into huge accomplishments. For example, I have now lived on my own in a one bedroom apartment working and going to school full time. Therefore, every task I do puts in motion a goal, from taking out the trash to reading a chapter for school, and creates a dream.

I would tell myself to not stress over the transition. It's not nearly as lonely as I thought it would be, and it is very easy to stay in contact with loved ones back home through phone calls and Skype. Do not be afraid to talk to the people in your classes and/or orientation group; they are just as scared and unsure as you are. Those people will be your first friends at college, and they help ease the feelings of homesickness. Another piece of advice is to try to move in early. I did move in early, and it really helped cut stress on my first official day as a college student. Orientation runs smoother knowing that you are already moved in and can just go back to your room and relax. The last piece of advice that I would have is to tour the campus as many times as possible. It helps to know where all the buildings are even if you do not have classes in them. You never know what building a group's meeting will be in. Lastly, walk through your schedule before the first day; it is a big time saver.

Summer

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school, I would talk to myself about time management. Going into college, I expected to have less free time than I do. Sometimes I even have so much that I put off my work for a few days. I would tell myself to work on time management in high school so that it wasn't so hard to manage things in college. Make a list of what needs to be done and when it needs to be done, but make sure to schedule breaks in between. Being self-disciplined in time management would make life so much easier.

Lucas

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to get more involved and have more fun.

Felicia

Oh, Felicia! Don’t procrastinate! Those nights of choosing Grey’s Anatomy over completing your college essays were NOT worth it. You should have finished your college applications in the summer, taken you driving lessons and test, and began the year with enough time to attend numerous academic clubs and community service days. You could have applied to top notch schools through early-decision and the pressure of them monitoring you would have been worth it. You should have applied to numerous scholarships and contests earlier. Since you would, in the future, need to move far from home and live on your own, you definitely should have taken mom up on those free cooking lessons. Ramen will be your best friend soon. That list that you should have made, detailing every single much-needed college dorm appliance would have come in handy. Become acquainted with grocery lists, budgets and laundry. Avoid slackers and party animals. Just because it looks like soda DOESN'T MEAN IT'S SODA. Professors are not all boring, humorless, middle-aged “meanies.” Love your body. Study the campus map hard. Remember to apply for work-study early. I’ll always love you. You were built tough.

Thelma

The first thing that I would tell myself as a high school senior is to relax. Do not stress out before college, you will make friends, you will make an impact on the campus, you will find a job, and everything will work out, just breath. Next I would say college is a time to reinvent yourself, make the best of it leave the past in the past. Put academics first and drama last. Focus on yourself no one else will focus on you and you are not being the best if you are being the best in every thing, then you will only burn out. Cherish every minute of college and talk to everyone, you never know who will be your best friend, business contact, or even a relationship. Last but not least, you will suceed and be the best you can be.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a High School Senior I would advise myself not to waste a single minute of "being a kid". I would also advise myself to be more responsible with my school work because that will affect my financial aid for college. I would tell myself that I may think I have all the answers but I definately do not. I would remind myself that my family is always there to lean on when things are tough.

I have learned how to live on my own. I have had to learn to rely on myshelf and my own judgement on the choices I am making. I have also learned to juggle time better, when you have to do laundry, study, take test and manage to get a shower in when you can it is all a balancing act. The lessons I am learning are life lesson as well as class lessons.

Monika

I have learned how to build relationships with new peaople and have acquired great social skills. I have learned that studying is more than just reading back over your notes. I have learned about many different subjects that I was never interested in before I came to college. I have even learned a lot about myself. College requires you to be strong, and I think I am stronger than I have ever been. So not only has college provided me with a bast array of knowledge, but it has also helped me discover myself as a woman and my peers as human beings. College is not just education, it is a life experience.

I have learned how to use many skills such as study skills and math skills. This school is preparing me for, and is going to help me complete my degree in pastry arts and so far has taught me at a decent level. For a community college the professors are very interested in seeing their students grow and are very helpful compared to some other schools teachers. It has been valuable for me to attend CSN because since attending there I have gained much more knowledge. I am now better in all the fields I need to be good at to enter my program and I have all the knowledge I need to become what I want to be in life, all thanks to CSN.

There are so many things that I have learned in my college experience that it will be very difficult to name just a few. The biggest one is probably self-confidence. Transitioning to college life was an adventure to say the least. I questioned whether I would be able to handle living on my own and handling obstacles as they arose. ONU made that transition very easy. I learned that I can handle "real life" when I come to that step of my life. The second most important thing that I have gotten out of my college experience, are the best friends that I could ever imagine. My friends have gotten me through tough times and I can't imagine not having them in my life. Finally, I have learned how to balance my time evenly amongst all of my commitments. Playing a varsity sport in college while managing a Pharmacy curriculum is not an easy task and I had to learn really quick how to do it. Also from playing a varsity sport comes the practice of working toward a common goal with a team of people. I have loved my college experience and wold not change a thing.

Throughout primary and secondary school, many people learn to give a large amount of focus to learning the most material possible and becoming academic giants. The smartest people in the class are the ones who tend to be most recognized while everyone else is looked upon. This leads students to believe that academics are the one and only key to success. However, in college, I have learned otherwise. Being the smartest person across the board is not necessarily as important as showing a willingness to learn, presenting my best effort, and always asking questions whenever I have them. In fact, this is what college is soley about in addition to teaching me how to live independently and interact with others. It is highly unlikely that I will remember everything that I am taught over the course of four years. In fact, work places will even offer extra training and reteach anything that is needed to help me do my job. It is the valuable hard working skills I develop in college and the willingness to be humble and learn that will carry me throughout life wherever I go.

So far I have learned alot about the engineering world and how to succeed in it but I know there's still so much more to learn. My favorite classes so far have been Discrete Math and Religions East and West. Most of my professors have been very helpful and kind and the ones that weren't helped me learn how to study and learn better on my own. I am currently the Philanthropy Chair of the ONU chapter of Phi Sigma Rho, an engineering sorority, and have learned alot from my sisters. I've also found alot of friends through the fencing club here on campus. I enjoy the sport even though I'm in no way a pro and the members are all very quirky and what some might call nerdy but I love everyone there and can't imagine what going to another school, especially one that didn't offer this sport, would be like!

There are many things I have learned and taken from my experiences at ONU. The most important are communicating skills and independence. I have always kept to myself or my family. Here at ONU I am majoring in Athletic Training, and it has forced me to be more socialable. Everyday I am working one on one with Athletic Trainers and athletes. I have learned how to communicate with them on a professional level and how to feel comfortable while doing it. I am also pushed everyday to work out problems on my own. Although my professors are there to guide me, they also encourage me to be independant and not always lean on them for answers. After graduating from ONU, I plan on attending grad school for Physical Therapy. As a PT I will be working with people everyday. To be successful, I will need to have strong communication skills with my patients and their doctors. I will also need to be able to design rehabilitation programs on my own and not depend on others to do it for me. The skills I have obtained thus far from ONU will most certainly contribute to a successful future.

Donald

The best advice I could give myself knowing what I know now is that I found out that a college education does impact your career earnings and promotions. I graduated HS in 1975 and thought that I did not need to go to college because working and making money was easier than reading and writing. Low and behold here I am with two children in college along with myself going back to school and I don't kknow how I will pay for it. I have over 25 years in my profession and have peaked out to where I cannot obtain a higher paying job because of my lack of education. Although I believe this is not fair it actually does happen in the real world. People in my profession with less experience and a college degree earn 25- 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} more than I do, that alone would help pay off at least one tuition. So be it, although there are many successful people without college degrees there are many more with them. Be smart Donald, take advantage of every program offered to you because you never know when you might need that information later on in life.

Knowing what I know now about college life there are a few pieces of advice that I would offer myself as a high school senior. First, don't focus solely on GPA. Yes, it is important to learn and to do well, but an A is not everything and a B isn't the end of the world. Second, supplement your academic studies in class with participation is professional organizations or extracurricular activities that interest you. These provide a great way to meet people and network, apply what you have learned, gain real world experience, as well as to have fun. Making the transition from high school to college is hard. Living with the people you go to classes with can be hard so there are a few things you should know about this as well. First, give yourself some freetime alone. This allows you to refocus and maintain your sanity. Second, forgive people. When you live with people you are bound to find nitpicky things that annoy you. Don't let them get you down. Focus on the positives and give people more credit. Most of all, learn and have fun, because you will never be in college again.

First, I would tell myself to not slack off. When I was a senior I stopped studying as much because I did not have to. These study habits carried over into college. I would tell myself to keep up with my study habits becuase then Western Civilization would not be so hard! Next, I would tell myself not to worry about money. That was the biggest stress. I would tell myself that I got the scholarship that made my dreams possible! Also, I would say that people love and support you and they are willing to help pay for the rest. Finally, I would tell myself that deciding to live on campus was the best decision. I have had the chance to meet a ton of new people and step out of my comfort zone. In conclusion, I would tell myself that everything will be fine and you will do great (you end up with a 4.0).

Rian

I think the best advice I could give to myself if I could go back would be to stay focused. It can be really tough getting started because of all the changes that are made in such a short amount of time, but the transition is much easier when you keep your goal in sight. The more I let my focus stray from what I really wanted to do, the more off track I got. Now I constantly remind myself of why I am really here and what I want to do with my life. I only do what will help me reach this goal. Also, relax and lighten up. If you take yourself too seriously, your world will just come crashing down around you and you will be stuck spending your precious time picking up the peices instead of really living.

College is going to be one of the best experiences of your life so far. Take advantage of every moment of it. It feels a little like summer camp in the beginning. Mom drops you off and you are shuttled from one activity to another during orientation, but then you realize, I am grown up. I don't have to go to any of this. I don't even have to go to class if I do not want to. Go to class. During your first two years you will just want to get through classes with good grades, but actually learn the material! When in your life will you have excessive amounts of time to learn about things you are actually interested in? However, don't become two caught up in academics, realize that a lot of learning is experiencing! Finally, you know how you always want to get away from home (which is why we chose a school 800 miles away)? You will miss it. Understand that as we mature mom will seem wiser and you'll want to talk to her more often, but really she's always been this way. Most importantly soak up every minute.

I would evaluate myself more deeply and make sure I know what I want in my future. I would try to find out what it is that will make me happy, and what my prioities are. Then I would work more in high school to get myself ready. I would become more independent in high school, and would prepare myself more financially, and emotionally. I would evaluate myself and if I was ready to live far away from home, and if I am looking for more social life, or like the quiet, personal atmosphere. I would find out if it is important for me to be able to speak individually with my professors, or if I can deal with TA's only. I would mostly make sure I knew myself as weell as possible, and know what was most inportant to me, and how to take care of myself, and look out for my own needs.Then, I would evaluate if the coolege I am considering is able to meet those needs, and fit my personality. I know I made the right choice for me!!

Danelle

The most important thing about attending college is to choose a major you are interested in. Don't be scared to choose a major that's not 'practical' because if you choose something you don't enjoy you'll always wonder 'what if?' and you're grades will suffer due to it. The biggest difference between college and high school is the freedom that comes with living on your own. As long as you follow you're own instincts and don't do things because its what everyone else is doing or because its what you think you should do you'll be fine.

The advise I would give myself would be to: first of all, pay more attention in my Chemistry class and second of all, to let go of those who are tying me down. I feel that if I would have been able to fully dedicate myself to college from the first quarter I was here, I would have gotten involved in all the activities I particpate in sooner. By doing this, I wouldn't be so sad about missing out on a lot of things when I was a freshman. Thirdly, I would tell myself to save all the money I made working, because I could really use it now for tuition and books.

Have fun, and be a little more social. Check out sorority life.

All students come from different backgrounds. Some come from small schools/neighborhoods, and some come from large schools/neighborhoods. Some of them want to stay with what they're used to, and some want to go to the exact opposite extreme. Parents and students need to figure out what they student wants for college. Some colleges/universities are geared for "small town atmospheres" and others are the big D-I schools that have all the programs and activities. Another obvious factor is the student's major. A lot of univesities and colleges will have a certain area that they specialize in, whether it be engineering, pharmacy, law, etc. The student needs to pick a college that caters to the area that they are interested in. As far as making the most of the college experience, the best advice is to get involved. Getting involved accomplishes many things. First of all, the student will stay busier, which actually helps with time management skills. Also, it helps them find a group that leads to lasting friendships. It also broadens their education to outside the classroom. The previously mentioned factors for choosing a college also helps make the most of the college experience.

Traci

Make sure they have what you're looking for and then some.

Tobias

The only advice I can give is that you check out as many colleges as you possibly can that offer the education you want. Education comes first, so focus on that, but if extra curricular activities are important to you then find the school that's right for you that offers both.

Visit, spend the night, know what ur biggest priorities are and look for them

Finding the right college for you is sort of like dating: you need to get to know the college before you make any huge commitment, and if something just feels incredibly "right", it probably is. Make as many college visits as you can - if possible, stay with a current student for a while to get the feel of the school. Never promise yourself you're going to go to one school and then completely dismiss the others. In my personal experience, I had my heart set on going to a different school - I had planned on it since 9th grade. When I didn't get into the program I wanted there, I was devastated. However, after a year at ONU, I'm thanking God that I ended up here, especially because my friend who went to my "dream school" is finding out that it's not as amazing as I thought it was. Try schools on. See if you fit into them. Remember: ultimately, YOU decide your college experience, no matter what school you go to.

Don't bank on applying to the one college of your choice and getting into the degree program you want. It typically cost absolutly nothing to visit different colleges and going on campus tours. Do this. Setup dates and go visit the colleges you are even considering attending. This will help you once you actually start to apply for schools. Look in to your degree program, the building you will spend most of your time in, and ask yourself if you can see yourself there for however long your degree program is. Once your at your new school, be open to making new friends, and trying new things. Don't be that person that sits in their dorm room with their door closed not willing to meet new people. Those that you live with/around will be your closest friends. Don't hesitate to make new friends, and attend mixers that your university may offer.

Kimi

Making a college decision is never an easy process, but it's not supposed to be! This school, in all of its entirety is where you will literally be living for the next four years. Its a place of new academic standards, friendships, and experiences. Some of the most helpful steps you can make in this process are to take campus visits and tours to delve deeper than just what you have read about the school. Often times there are little things that stick out in your mind as something that is either familiar or something that you find you would not have a hard time adjusting to. As an athlete I had to also make the crutial and unique decision of picking the team I wanted to join. An overnight visit isn't for everyone, but if you are open to the idea it is a great way to experience what the school is like after visiting hours. I know it helped me realize that I could see myself as a future teammate with the girls that I stayed with. Another one of the most important things you can do is to not be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS!

I would tell parents to support their children no matter what field they plan on studying in. Acceptance is key to a healthy relationship with a college student. To students, I would say when picking a college, remember that you will be living there (for the average college student) for four years. If you can picture yourself living and thriving at a certain college, big or small, then go with that one. It is where you will be the happiest and have no regrets when picking between colleges. Also, balance your social and acedemic lives; both are equally important.

Selecting a college can be compared to planting a tree. In order to have the healthiest plant (or best college experience), everything about where the tree is planted, what it needs, and how it, in turn, will benefit you must be well thought-out. Students should start the entire process by identifying their strengths and weaknesses, as well as what type of environment would amplify and improve these, respectfully. Parents should also inform the student of what the family needs- is it inconvenient for the student to live on the opposite side of the country, or is it seen as a dive into independence? The process of growing a tree does not stop once the tree is planted, though. Students should stay involved with activities around their school. Parents should allow students some independence, but support and encouragement are sometimes necessary to fuel student motivation. The key to the best college experience is to just keep growing.

Visit. I worked as a telecounselor this year calling prospective students and I always encouraged them to visit. Not only to visit ONU but also to visit any other schools they were looking at. The more you're able to visit, the better a feel you get for each school and also of how each school compares to the next. ONU is in the middle of nowhere and very small, so if that's something that people didn't realize before they visited, it will impact their opinion of the school (good or bad). It is also the most friendly and personal school I visited, which had a great deal to do with my choice. Do an overnight visit if they are offered to get a feel of the college life and don't be afraid to ask current students ANYTHING. They'll tell you what it's really like, even what the party scene is like.

Leeann

Making a major decision is a strange kind of phenomenon. You swish the idea around in your head for such a long time and you weigh everything so carefully so that you never regret what you have chosen. And then, in the end, the decision usually comes down to which scrap of paper you pull out of a bowl. However, I feel that choosing a college that is best for you requires a different method of decision making: You must follow what your body tells you and trust your own conscience. If you are still alive and thriving at 20, then your body and your heart have not led you too far astray. More importantly, do not turn down an opportunity because of the price tags associated with it- in all honesty, we can no more afford 20,000 dollars a year than we can 40,000. However, considering that you are forking out your life?s savings, I insist that you take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself and meet every person who crosses your path. You only have 80 or so years on this planet. Four years of one lifetime is far too much to throw away.

I suggest that students and parents begin the college process well in advance. Its very important to consider location, academic achievements, and job placement following graduation. Many students have a false vision of college life based on such popular films as "Animal House". However, this is not the case at accredited universities and its the responisiblity of both parents and students to evaluate what is most important to them long-term. I also believe that student-to-faculty ratio should be considered and diversity. The college experience is different for each individual. Your success and/or failure is in your hands!

I believe that finding the right school is based on the work ethic of each individual student. In order to choose the college right for you, one must decide if they need to focus on their work in order to do well, are up for a challenge or want to just slide by. I would say a university, such as Ohio Northern has gives the individual a challenge that creates you to think outside of the box, and do your own research to fully comprehend something that may have been discussed in class. There is really a lot of outside work that is typically done, so that the indivudual can succeed. As for other public schools, I have not attended, but I believe that the universities contain material that would allow one to just pass by without much excess research, although each public school varies. The decission should really be up to the student because, whether the parents like it ornot, the student will only try as much as they want to.

Look for somewhere not only where you can have a lot of fun but can also grow academically. You want some place that you can see being your home away from home.

I would advise parents to visit the schools of their childs choice and see what they have to offer their children not only academically but financially and characteristically. I advise parents to get to know some of the professors in their childs field of study as well as becoming very comforatble with the residence life office and financial aid office so the school knows that your child is not alone and has somebody representing them. I would also reccomend talking with students at random of all different cultures and status and not just the poster children that the school wants you to talk to, so they can get a real feel for the school. I hope that parents would also send their kids on an overnight visit at the school so that the child can see and feel the school vibe for themselves, the parent will be able to tell how their child feels about the school.

Britney

My advice to students that are trying to decide on a college to attend is this; Get out and visit universities that interest you. Take a campus tour and meet with professors, or even sit in on class session if you can. Getting acquainted with the university can help you make the decision that's best for you. I know that when I found the right college to attend, I knew it right away.

Students should figure out school subjects that interest them. Even if they are undecided when they start attending a college or university, it helps to know what topics are interesting to the student because this will help narrow down options for majors, minors, and degrees, and choosing an interesting degree helps to ensure the student will enjoy his future job. Students should find a college that offers degrees in many of the different areas in which the student shows interest; the more options the student has at a college, the more options he has to explore, so the student will be more satisfied when he does choose a program of study. Academic options is probably the most important factor in choosing a college, but the student should also consider the size of the school (both the campus and the student body) and choose a comfortable size. Students should look into extracurricular activities and sports as a way to get involved because these activities will enhance the college experience and make a student's time spent studying at a college more worthwhile. The choice is about finding a community that suites the academic and personal interests of the student.

Jeannette

Choose a school that best meets your needs; It should be a place that you can see yourself studying late at night, mingling with friends at the cafeteria, and researching in the library. Include your parents in the discussion, but remember that this is ultimately your decision. College is about the experience of learning independence. Parents, it's time to let your kids make mistakes and learn to fix them on their own. Students, don't call your parents every night; forge new relationships while fostering the old ones. Remember that you are here to further your education, opportunities, and relationships.

Brook

Even though a school may be more expensive, there is still the quality of education that is present at such an institution. Quality of education is far more important than cost of education. Be sure that you choose a school that has activities to do other than school work but not so much to do that the student cannot stay concentrated.

First think about how you adapt to change. This can help determine many different aspects of your college life. If you adapt well, I would suggest looking into a school that is not like the area where you grew up to give you a different perspective. If you don't adapt well to change, join different organizations; join something even if you do adapt well to change. This is the best way to meet others with similar interests, learn more about yourself, or you can try something new. You will also feel more connected to the school and others socially and academically. Parents need to remember that food is always a plus, and the dormmates will love your student even more. Also, this is the time your student is learning about freedom, life, and their place in the world. They may need some guidance, but college really does teach all of this, even if it is the hard way. Students, don't forget, just because everyone else is doing it, you do not have to do it too. Lastly, the upperclassmen are very helpful. They know how it feels to be in a new, stange place, you are not alone!

The largest piece of advice I can give to anyone is to picture yourself at the university by yourself, without any friends you might know who attend or who will be attending with you. People change, and it is important to be in a place where you feel confortable enough by yourself. Therefore, you will be sure to feel confortable enough to make as many friends as you want. Bottom line, make sure you feel as confortable as possible. Being away from home can be tough, so make your college your home away from home.

This is your choice. Make the most of it and find exactly what you want. It's like marriage: you should know what you want when you're looking for a college, make sure you go back for multiple visits to ensure your first impression wasn't a fluke, be aware of what you're getting yourself into financially, spiritually, emotionally, and socially, and NEVER SETTLE! Be sure that you have prepared yourself correctly for this college-selection journey with hard work and determination in high school; if you have done your best until now, that will show when you are being interviewed at a college. There is always a way to make it work, to pay for the college or university that you want to attend; don't ever abandon your first choice because it seems "out of your league". And parents, put trust and faith in your student regarding the school she/he wants to attend. If young Dani comes home wanting to go to Harvard, you better believe it and be as supportive as possible, while keeping Dani rooted in reality. FIGHT. Fight to get into your first choice school in any way you can. Do it.

Parents, please take the time to visit as many college campuses your child wants to visit. It is well worth the time and effort to know that your child will be comfortable with their college choice when they make it. Be supportive of their choice. Do not tell them what school to attend. Students, don't take high school so seriously or not seriously enough. Get involved in extra-curricular activities and maintain a good, not perfect, GPA. You will learn more about yourself if you are involved in personal growth activities and your college choice will be easier if you know what you like. Once you are at school you will doubt if you are cutout for college - you are. Give yourself time to adjust and make good decisions leading you to the best route for your college and professional career. It is, again, not all about the grades. Do your best and let your professors know you are here for the right reasons, but take time to enjoy extra-curricular activities and learn more about yourself and your interests. Your professors are the best route to success - use them, they get paid to be there for you.

I think you should allow for the student to decide which school feels right once they walk on campus. I knew this was the school for me the first time i stepped foot on campus for a tour. Also, I encourage all students to find some group or activity that meets at least a few times a week and involves upperclassmen. Varsity Soccer and my Fraternity were huge parts of my first year and exposed me to a lot of new experiences and allowed me to meet new people on campus. I feel like I'm fairly integrated into campus because of these groups and I enjoy every minute on a campus I chose specifically for its academic prestige. I would not change a thing from what I did in chosing a school. So put academics first in your deciding factors and make the most of your time on campus by meeting new people and branching out. Please don't stay in your rooms because you'll never get another chance at the college experience.