Ohio State University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ohio State University-Main Campus

Anna

I believe that Ohio State University is a great place to further a student's academic career. OSU allows students to explore their passions and excel in all areas of life. There are many different opportunities that are not only academic, such as athletics, extracurriculars, greek life, etc.

Jackson

The Ohio State is what you choose to make of it. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved. That being said, to find more intellectually engaging clubs and people willing to have a political/intellectual conversation, you may have to go out of your way. As a person from New York, I was pleasantly surprised at how liberal Columbus is. There are plenty of accommodation that can be made for LGBTQ+ students and faculty and staff are usually very respectful of preferred names. Also, the health care for transgender students is surprisingly better than most universities. Additionally, the mental health services and staff are extremely helpful. Football is definitely a huge presence on campus. As a person who doesn't even like football, I still bought tickets. Greek life is definitely big on campus however, it is not the end all be all if you are not in a fraternity or sorority. Overall, professors and staff are usually helpful. Some are more invested in the students than others. On the whole I'd say Ohio State professors, even those involved in research, are available at least once a week for office hours. On-campus housing was just made mandatory for all underclassmen. With that, came many complications of not being able to find housing for everyone. Residence halls at Ohio State is a crapshoot. You can either have a great brand new dorm on North Campus, or an old roach infested one. On the whole the Ohio State is so big that you can't find whatever you are looking for whether it be socially, intellectually or academically.

The Ohio State University is a great school. Being a large campus (around 60,000 undergrad), you have to take a lot of initiative and seek out opportunities for yourself, but there is no shortage of amazing things to be involved in on this campus, and if you are willing to take your education and college career into your own hands, you will have a great experience.

Madi

As soon as I got out of the car to tour Ohio State as a high school junior, I realized that it felt like home. Though the campus is large in size and population, it seems like I always run into people I know and feel comfortable around. There are plenty of activities and groups to get involved in that make the campus smaller, and if you wish to totally reinvent yourself once you’re in school, the anonymity that comes with a big school allows for that.

Robyn

Ohio State University is a wonderful community right near the downtown Columbus, Ohio. The huge student body is incredibly diverse and accepting; there is a club for absolutely every type of person to join. The school spirit is evident in not only every single student, but also the nearby communities express lots of love for the Ohio State University in every aspect whether it be sports or arts.

Lana

The Ohio State University is my school of choice not only because it has the best team in the world but also it's the place where I am sharing my youth memories with great friends and environment. There is always clubs and abundant groups to join and many opportunities to grow and build your future bath. It is simply a place to be where everyone can thrive and prosper :D

Emoree

I am currently a Junior at the Knowlton School of Architecture at OSU and I love it. This program is for the creative minds and is strongly based on theory which does have the shortcomings of not learning all the technical aspects of architectures but you will not get any better teachers. We are on a first name basis with students and faculty and it's fantastic because a lot of them are adjunct-faculty so they know the real world. Just watch out for Jackie or Kipnis, they are very strongly opinionated. OSU is a school that parties hard so if that's your crowd definitely go for south campus living. The food here is better than most schools and if you get sick of it Columbus has plenty of options! There is literally something for everyone here. Yes, campus parking services is a scam so make sure to read the fine print on EVERYTHING. If you are an african-american minority prepare for a small community. OSU kind of sucks on representing that aspect of diversity but they have plenty of Asian exchange students! Other than that I highly recommend this school. Apply for all scholarships because it's expensive af.

Skylar

As an out-of-state student, I had no real idea of what I was getting myself into when I decided to come to Ohio State. To say the least, it has been the best decision I have ever made. Between the numerous supportive professors, the countless opportunities to get involved in things around campus, and the endless possibilities of academics, Ohio State has proven to me that it truly is the best place to get a higher education.

madisen

Overall, Ohio State is a good school. I have enjoyed learning from my professors. However, their Chemistry department is lacking. Also, many of their programs are competitive to get into, so if you're not looking to be serious about your studies, you should probably look somewhere else.

Brenna

Ohio State University-Main Campus is marvelous. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful and offers a safe environment. The academics are some of the best offered here. There is something to do for everyone around campus, and so many more options throughout Columbus. The housing is very comfortable. Football game day vibes around campus are indescribable-definitely one of my favorite things about being a buckeye. The other sports are super great here too. Nothing can beat the love and support the buckeyes have for this campus and other buckeyes. I would 10/10 recommend attending or at least thoroughly considering attending this campus.

I genuinely love it here. There is literally something for everyone. We're smack dab in the middle of the city (Columbus), and the local bus is free for full time student so basically you can go anywhere in Columbus fro free! We also have an 11 story library, and 12 libraries across campus. I've started going rock climbing for free at the gym, and I'm in a health club and a club walking dogs at the local dog shelter. The campus is huge, and so has many options. I know a lot of people are worried that they'll be "just a number" at such a big school but it can actually be a really intimate setting. Getting to know your professors is easy when you go to office hours, and they're all pretty helpful. And you can literally build your own community to support and encourage you, because there's something for everyone! I guarantee if you go out and find people with like interests or even totally different ideals, you'll make lifelong friends and build your own little intimate community.

Kennedy

OSU is everything I could have dreamed of and more. hundreds of majors and minors to choose from and an incredibly diverse campus lead to endless opportunities. Football season is our favorite time of year and you'll be hearing a lot oh Carmen Ohio and Hang on Sloopy. Campus and all of it's facilities are gorgeous, and we boast 12 libraries. You couldn't ask for a more amazing place to get an education.

Bonnie

Ohio State offers something for everyone, whether you're the studious, academics driven person, or someone who lives for the parties and fun. There is always something to do on campus, and in the rare chance you find yourself bored, Columbus offers so much to do! The professors are generally pretty nice and they want you to succeed. If you're in Honors and in specific programs, the classes are actually pretty small. As a Freshman in honors, I'm only in two large-ish lectures. The facilities on campus are really nice and there are tons of opportunities to find what you love to do. Despite its size, Ohio State quickly felt like home and you will see familiar faces all the time. It's a great place to be, and the faculty and students' love for the school and campus is contagious. Go Bucks!

Blair

I love Ohio State University. Columbus is a great city with much opportunity and within walking distance from campus! (though the busing system is nice) I love it and I love that there is always something going on! I recommend checking out the university because they will do whatever they can to ensure that you are happy and working toward your future!

Kaitlin

I love Ohio State! It's full of opportunities, world-class academics, and fun social activities. It's difficult to adjust to at first, but once you get used to the large population, the mediocre food, and the intimidation, it's a great place to create your future. Professors are usually willing to help you if you first help yourself. However, there are some professors thrown into the group that are not very understanding or helpful. Obviously, the football games are a great addition to the academics. The other sports are pretty fun to watch too, even if you aren't familiar with the sport. The dorms range from terrible to amazing. I've lived in both. The terrible one was crawling with roaches. I look back now and laugh, though - it just added to the experience. Overall, Ohio State has become my second home. I am very grateful for the opportunity to attend The Ohio State University.

Ronald

I am in love with this campus. For beginners, the university has built a ton of new dorms so there are many nice dorms to live in. The off campus apartments and houses are also nice and both options have an amazing atmosphere. Academically, Ohio State is on par and continuing to advance past any of the universities in the United States. The sports speak for themselves, especially our beloved football Buckeyes. The opportunities and benefits at Ohio State are much greater than any other college in the US.

Kaylee

The Ohio State University is a school that is academically diverse, all inclusive, and shows pride in their campus. They have over 200 majors you can choose from. The professors and teaching assistants are always willing to help when you need it. The students are accepting of any person regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, etc... The Ohio State University is very prideful in their campus, and they're not afraid to show it. I love going to the Ohio State University, and will always show pride in being a buckeye. Go Bucks!

Sean

Love it!

Sierra

The Ohio State University is an amazing school. There is always something to do from sports to clubs to other random activities. Everyone is involved in a club or group of some sort. There's also advertising all over the place for events and activities happening. The campus is beautiful. Places to study and work are all over campus and it's so big that there's always a new place or niche to discover. Jobs and restaurants and cafes are available across campus for every need. OSU also offers a huge variety of student resources including the health center, writing center to get help on assignments and tutoring at multiple locations. The professors are excellent. You can tell that they really enjoy their jobs and want the best for the their students. All of the professors and teacher's assistants have office hours, and often times try to make other arrangements to meet with students if schedule conflicts occur. Overall, Ohio State works to provide the best opportunities to students and that effort is shown every day.

Elena

Deciding to attend Ohio State was one of the best decisions I have ever made. As an out-of-state student, I was skeptic of the size at first, but there is no length Ohio State won't go to to make you feel at home the moment you step on campus. With tons of programs for freshman to get involved and meet people, a plethora of student organizations that all set up booths at the huge Involvement Fair, and the many opportunities to meet people in classes, in dorms, and just around campus, it's so easy to feel at home. Ohio State is definitely huge - but it also has just about any club or major you could want, making it so easy to find things you enjoy or change your mind if you don't love them. Getting involved and finding people who enjoy the same things you do really helps to make a giant school feel small. It's definitely not the cheapest option for college, but they offer so many scholarships for Ohio kids and out-of-staters alike, and in my opinion it truly is worth the pricetag. You won't find a better school spirit, better opportunities, or better people.

Felicia

Like most kids, I wanted to get away from my family and go out-of-state for school. I wanted to spread my wings and fly far, far away and escape the boring landscape of Columbus, Ohio. Being raised here, I thought I saw everything Columbus had to offer. Easton Mall on Morse Road, Polaris Mall and the McDonald's by my apartment, I knew it all! I was bored and I needed some new scenery... but I'm glad I didn't. Ohio State is a place where I can live, laugh and learn. I feel like I am so more aware of myself and the world around me ever since coming here. Ohio State is like its own little town, with its own food places, clothing, diversity and so much more. If you like reading, there's great libraries. If you like parties, pretty sure you can find one easily. If you need help in that stup- I mean challenging chemistry class, you can get tutoring. You gained a few pounds over the semester and you're ready to lose it, there are gyms like RPAC there for you. If you like extracurriculars, OSU has hundreds. OSU is the place to be if you're ready to have the time of your life. Personally, I can't wait to continue to grow while going to school here. With great research opportunities, faculty, people and more I am glad to call OSU my home.

Olivia

I love Ohio State! They turned such a big school into a small school. They make you feel right at home. There is something here for everyone. They make you feel so accepted and welcomed. There are so many opportunities that you are never bored. It is the best school I could have gone to.

cordarrius

i think that ohio state university is the best school for me and I think that I have made a great decision based on what type school I have always wanted to go to and I love the campus and I will be really happy if I get accepted to this school it will make my dream come true.

Lulu

The Ohio State University is a very enjoyable campus with many pleasant students (sometimes you are going to encounter a fully childish types of personality) Never the less, you really need to work hard on the classes and look forward to accomplishing your future dreams rather than trying your best to get as many friends as you can or unprioritized the necessary things to move forward with your education or career.

Mary Grace

OSU is a great school because it has something for everybody. There are so may activities to get involved in and it gives many people a purpose. The courses are challenging and the faculty expect hard work from students. There are so many clubs that fit different interests and the people there are amazing. OSU is great for students who are really social and students who are more introverted because it is so big. My experience there so far has been challenging, but incredible. The things I do there have meaning and it is really amazing to see such a variety of people when it comes to interests, culture, majors, etc... OSU is really an incredible school. Go Bucks!

Christina

I love it. The academics are great, as well as the people(staff and students). The campus is eco-friendly and decently diverse(a lot of out of state and international students attend here). The academics are rigorous, especially the sciences. The neuroscience program is quite competitive. Overall, OSU is a great school!

This school is awesome! I knew I liked it before I visited, but after my visit, there was no doubt in my mind that this is where I want to go! It's located in the middle of Columbus so there is always something to do and somewhere to go. The campus is huge, so you could go on a new adventure everyday. The people are all very nice and they'll help you if you get lost. Furthermore, they have 1,000+ clubs and organizations that range from Pizza Club to Long Boarding Club to Tightrope Club. It has an amazing environment. Speaking of the environment, OSU has pledged to have complete clean energy by 2030! The sports culture is crazy and the school spirit is amazing. This is truly my dream school. Go Buckeyes!!!

Ohio State is a wonderful university, there's something for everyone in academics, extracurriculars, and the party scene. The professors are good at their jobs, genuinely want to see students succeed and very accessible. I love my university and would choose to attend here if given the choice again.

Meredith

Ohio State University has one of the most diverse student populations of all of the colleges I have visited. The opportunities for involvement are endless. There is something for everyone. This leads to a more rounded college experience as well as greater overall satisfaction from the student body.

Alex

Ohio State University is a wonderful institution in regards to academics, arts, athletics, research, and so many other aspects that make the college experience one to remember. As a first year student living on campus, I have no doubt when I say that this is where I want to be the next several years of my life.

Darby

Ohio State University is an incredible school; I truly wouldn't want to be receiving my education anywhere else. I'm from Georgia, and when I tell people that I attend OSU, they automatically assume that it's all about the football, and while that is indeed a huge part of the spirit of the campus, there is so much more to Ohio State. They are repeatedly recognized both nationally and internationally for advancements in countless areas of study and for outstanding athletic and musical achievements as well. The only reason I allowed 4 stars instead of 5 on 'Academics' is because I have heard consistently from many students that the chemistry and mathematics departments seem to be lacking, but those seem to be the only ones; every other college is appears to be thriving and bearing satisfied, motivated students. The city of Columbus is increasingly voted one of the best all-around cities in the United States for career opportunities, culture, and more. If you are a more introverted creature of habit, you can find your niche on campus and keep life from being too frazzled, and if you like a busy, bustling life, you have plenty of options for keeping your schedule full to brimming and your opportunities for meeting new people endless. There does seem to be something for everyone. I tell people all the time how grateful I am to be at Ohio State, and am so excited for each new freshman class to experience the joy of being a Buckeye!

Ohio State is a school full of opportunity. With an unbelievable amount of majors to choose from and any extra-curricular organization/activity imaginable (and if it doesn't already exist, you can create it!), being a Buckeye is what you make of it. Campus food is pretty good, especially if you get certain dishes at certain places. What I love most about Ohio State is that everyone on campus - all 62,000 students along with faculty and administration - is proud to be there. You will never see a school with more spirit. So, if you want a school with amazing academic and extra-curricular opportunities, a beautiful campus, a cute city just a bus ride away, and true pride, becoming a Buckeye is the right way to go. Go Bucks!

Caitlin

I think Ohio State University-Main Campus is an incredible school. If you attend OSU, you are part of something so much bigger than just the academics here. We are part of the Buckeye family which includes students past, present, and future. When you walk on this beautiful campus, there is this sense of belonging and family. The first time I stepped foot on this campus I knew it was home. I think Ohio State University-Main Campus is full of opportunities and the faculty is willing to help the students out. I think this is a great university to attend and they are always updating and remodeling buildings and drops to benefit the students who go here. Ohio State wants you to feel like you are apart of this campus and they do a really great job of making this big campus feel small. They want the students to be involved and updated on what is happening. Overall, Ohio State University-Main Campus is so charming and full of hope, I would never want to go anywhere else.

Zoe

Overall, I think Ohio State University - Main Campus is a great university. There's always something to do and someone to do it with, even if that something is homework! I've found that the more involved you get, the more fun you'll have. And because Ohio State is such a large campus, there's plenty of diversity, so it's not hard to find something to do that you truly enjoy. I think the professors are great - they offer their time and resources along with a little extra bonus here and there. And the housing facilities are kept very clean, so I felt very comfortable living there. Essentially, I love Ohio State and I'm more than content with my choice of going there.

Jocelyn

I find the campus to be very beautiful and overall, calming. There is always something to do, and different groups to be a part of. The facilities are open till late, whenever a student may need the library or such. Everyone in the campus are very helpful whenever you do not know where/how to go to a certain hall.

Eman

OSU is so, so big. You can go here your whole entire college career and there is still a whole section of campus that you didn't even know about. Campus is pretty diverse. We have students from all over, of every color and religion. There's not really any discrimination, and for the most part people are pretty nice.

Shreya

The campus is huge and for this reason, there is always something to do on campus. The academics are definitely challenging and require time and effort, especially if you're an engineering major. The facilities such as the RPAC and North Rec are great.

Macy

Ohio State is the best school out there! There is something for everyone here! The faculty here pushes students to achieve great academic success and accomplish their goals. There are extracurricular groups for every organization one could dream of. Attending Ohio State guarantees future success.

Miranda

It's a great place to both learn and have fun. There are so many new experiences to be had. The opportunities are endless, anything you want you can find at OSU. I feel like I'm in a community of intelligent people who still enjoy having fun which is the perfect balance.

Logan

The campus is huge both physically and in terms of student population. Class sizes are huge and mental services are almost completely nonexistent. If you are a very stable and independent student, you will have a great chance of being successful. It is very easy to get lost in the mix here and professors are not easy to get in contact with for larger majors.

Kendall

OSU was a definite adjustment at first due to it being so huge and fast-paced, but I quickly grew to love it as a a second home. I don't know how to describe it, but there is a certain level of energy on campus that is just plain exciting to be a part of. There is always something to do (ranging from LOTS of homework to hanging with friends) and time seriously flies when you're there. Maybe there's something in the water -- whatever it is, I've never met anyone who regrets going to the Ohio State University!

Gabrielle

Personally, I love Ohio State. I am currently a sophomore here and am having the best experience of my life. Last year, I lived in a dorm and it was like home to me and I met the most amazing people with whom I am still friends. Additionally, campus is beautiful and full of so many diverse students that I love simply waking around campus. I also feel incredibly privileged to go to a college with such amazing academics. As a psychology major, I am thrilled with the classes I am taking and am very excited for the multitude of opportunities to further my education here at OSU, such as research, study abroad, and internships.

karley

I LOVE the Ohio state university. This is a university that has endless opportunities and always something to offer. Academics and social aspects are great. Any student can make their home here and won't regret their decision. I had a wonderful first year. I met some great friends and got involved with on-campus activities that brighten my experience. Once a buckeye, always a buckeye.

Daniel

I didn't think I would end up spending my college years in Columbus. But OSU took a chance on me, so I took a chance on them. I have no regrets. It has been the best time of my life. At OSU, I discovered who I am and what I want to achieve. The business school here has laid the foundation for me to succeed in the field of finance. The extracurricular clubs I have joined have helped me meet new people with similar interests as mine. Most important to me, I have found a great group of friends at OSU who are all 100% proud to be Buckeyes!

Casey

I transferred here my sophomore year and I love it. The size of the campus overwhelmed me at first, but it gets smaller as you become more involved. Although there's is so many people you will be able to find people who are like you. You can meet diverse groups of people here, and I love it.

Kelly

My overall opinion of Ohio State University is that it is so much more than what meets the eye. When people think of Ohio State they think of a big name school with a good football team, but in fact it has so much more than that to offer. Don't get me wrong, tailgating for the football games is great and the feeling that you get when you walk into the student section of the Horseshoe for the first time is unforgettable, but Ohio State is more than just football. There is such a wide range of classes offered that you will always be able to find something that interests you, and the professors are all excited about their jobs and excited to be teaching you. Also, outside of academics, there are hundreds of student organizations, clubs, and sports for you to join that will broaden your experience at Ohio State to make it even better. The best part of going to Ohio State is that everyone is so happy to be there and there is such a community atmosphere to the school because everyone is proud to be a buckeye.

ShaKoya

As an African-American female student at The Ohio State University, I am content with my overall experiences at the university. It is very easy to find a like-minded group of people that have the same interests as you whether it be academically or something related to political activism. The women on campus do a great job with looking out for one another's well-being. The black community makes great attempts at uplifting one another. There are many opportunities to succeed within the classroom and outside the classroom.

Emilie

Overall, the main campus is a great place for all kinds of different people. There is a scene for everyone whether you're into athletics, school, advocacy, etc. Lots of opportunities to get involved and it really is what you make of it. If you want to drink, there is definitely a scene. If you don't, there are plenty of other ways to make friends.

Manisha

Its a very big campus thus the student body is extremely diverse.

Julia

My overall opinion is that the school is extremely focused on it's sports and getting as much money as possible to those sports teams. They really push the students to attend the sporting events sometimes too much. They do the same thing with many other activities. It's not a rarity that someone might feel pressured to be attending a function (i.e. Buckeyethon. That being said, it is a super fun campus and it is very easy to meet people and make new friends!