Ohio State University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ohio State University-Main Campus

Julia

My overall opinion is that the school is extremely focused on it's sports and getting as much money as possible to those sports teams. They really push the students to attend the sporting events sometimes too much. They do the same thing with many other activities. It's not a rarity that someone might feel pressured to be attending a function (i.e. Buckeyethon. That being said, it is a super fun campus and it is very easy to meet people and make new friends!

Macinzey

Very interesting and diverse place to grow and learn with many opportunities. It is a fantastic place to find new passions, discover new people, and learn more about yourself. The academics are intellectually stimulating and the professors are truly there to help all of their students. Everyday is a new interesting and intellectual challenge that allows you to grow as a person.

Janice

The campus is huge--it's like a city nestled inside of a city. Most students feel intimidated, that is, until they find their niche. While the large scale of OSU tends to make me feel anonymous, it also allows for diversified classes, majors, and extracurriculars. For someone fresh from Smalltown, USA, the colorful variety was refreshing. Yet OSU was never my "home away from home;" it was my place to work, not play.

Shawna

Ohio State University is flourishing with opportunities. There is truthfully something there for everyone. There is a heavy influence on football, but as long as you know that Michigan sucks you'll be okay. Be prepared for long wait times when trying to get in touch with school officials, but other than that the school is amazing. Go Bucks

Craig

The Ohio State University is a wonderful blend of massive opportunity, well-connected and accomplished lecturers, global name-recognition, and high-level facilities and equipment. It's an understatement to say that Ohio State is huge. Regardless of the interest, there's bound to be some level of academic support, student organization, or campus connections dedicated to the same topics. The large, scenic campus has a place for everyone that attends and it's not hard to quickly find a group of people to call home. One of the perks of such a large bureaucratic institution is that to really advance and develop oneself, one learns that they must put their best foot forward. OSU's benefit reaches beyond its campus, as its centrality within the city of Columbus means there's always internships, jobs, and connections within arms reach. There's almost always some sort of massive renovation project going on at anytime, whether it be building a state of the art library, the largest recreational activity center in the US, or simply building new modern dormitories.

Cheyenne

I just love The Ohio State University ! There is always something to do whether it is in the thriving city of Columbus or right on campus. No matter how big it seems everyone is a part of the buckeye family. Academics are fantastic from the TAs to the Professors. The opportunities are outstanding.

Zachary

THE Ohio State University has brought me a huge change from my small high school days. There is always something to do on campus, and countless food options right across the street. Depending on your major, you can make your college experience as hard or easy as you want! GO BUCKS!!!

Shayla

I think OSU is as ideal as it gets. Advisors are here to help, professors care about their students, if there is something you're interested in there is a club for it, and the surrounding area is lively and exciting. If I could go back, I will still pick OSU every time. The vibe is welcoming and I have never felt out of place.

MADHAV

The Ohio State University is an incredible institution. One that promotes diversity and inclusion of all people. I get the chance to learn from different people's experiences and see the world in a different light. The whole campus feels like one big family, the camaraderie between the students is second to none. It is the only place where I would want to be for my education.

Gavin

Ohio State University-Main Campus was quite an amazing site to see. It was full of everything people would want in a college campus, especially the outgoing students that really bring the school to life. The nearby places to visit give it such an outstanding view as well, and lets people within the community decide what they want to do in the moment.

Natalie

The Ohio State University is home. It is home for scared new first-year students who are afraid to start to make their mark in the world. It is home for the returning student, who has been away all summer, waiting to see their friends for the first time in three months. It is home when students on the same floor bond over an away OSU Football game with pizza in the left hand, and a soda (or a beer) in the other. It is home when thousands of Ohio State students gather to dance For The Kids during BuckeyeThon, uniting the campus. Ohio State will never cease to be home, as alumni, current students, and future students will gather to sing Carmen after the end of a game. Ohio State has an incredible aroma that allows students from all demographics around the world to embrace and love each other. Ohio State has the most school spirit I have personally even seen on a college campus, and I believe this just reflects how amazing Ohio State is for every student. The dorms are beautiful, especially on North campus, as the million-dollar budget residential project is coming to a conclusion. The food on campus is average, surely you will become tired of the traditions on campus, but off campus, there is a giant city of Columbus, waiting for you to try their food. The food even on High Street is really good, and you have the basic chain stores on High. The games are unreal. The football game community is unreal. The energy that is on campus that you experience yourself is even unable to be expressed through words. It is just incredible. Everyone deserves to be a Buckeye to truly understand this intense feeling. There is such a party scene on campus too. However, because Ohio State is large, there are groups that will never go out, and that is perfectly fine. But if you want to go out and party and drink, there are groups who will most certainly do so. Also, if you are a mad partier who goes out every single night, there are also groups of people who will do so. There are minimal drugs on campus, and I think this adds to the overall safety on campus. The campus is well lit at night and there are multiple security guards around, surveying campus. It is incredible how safe I feel (I am a girl, so this was a main concern for me when I was picking a college!) All in all, I love Ohio State. It is a large campus, but it is home. You will be able to find ways to make this large college into small ones. Now, you can’t do that with a small school, can you? It is incredible to see all the connections one can make through the alumni network. Ohio State is incredible! Go Bucks!

I attended Ohio State my freshman year of college, but since have decided to transfer. OSU has so much to offer, but I think I was overwhelmed by the options and therefore never got involved. I often felt out of place, but I knew many others who found their place. OSU is two hours away from my city of Cincinnati, I was often homesick and bored and alone. I often went home because I didn't like my feelings on campus. I was placed with a junior as a roommate which also made things difficult, along with my floormates being cliquey, and my only friends living on the other side of campus. Academically, OSU is great. Socially, it takes a while to figure it out. Overall, OSU is a great school if you're brave enough for it.

Lindsey

I am currently a freshman at Ohio State, and I absolutely love it. I was raised as a Buckeye fan, and have lived close to campus my whole life. I never thought I would go to Ohio State due to it's familiarity and large size. After going on a tour of the university, my mind changed immediately. The sense of community is very present, even though there are around 45,000 students on the main campus. The size sounds intimidating, but being on campus, it doesn't feel so big. The school spirit here is amazing, especially during football season. Classes can range from a giant lecture with 200 students to a small classroom filled with only 30 students. The teachers care about you and your work, and they always have office hours. Being right in the middle of Columbus, there's so much to do. High street features so many dining options as well as shopping and entertainment. Buses can take you to the short north, which is a bigger, nicer version of campus' high street. There's always something to do. Overall, I am so glad I decided to go on that tour and now going to Ohio State.

Dana

I love attending Ohio State. It's a great school and a great environment to live in. The size of the school makes it so there is always something to do on campus or in Columbus. Going to Ohio State has given me so many wonderful opportunities, like going to New York to see the Royal Shakespeare Company perform the Henriad, and seeing the Abbey Theatre Company Perform The Plow and The Stars. These are opportunities I never could have had at a different school.

The atmosphere is amazing, including weekends. Libraries are always popping with fellow drowning-in-tears-and-homework students. Crossing High St, Natty Lite is consumed day in day out on roofs and porches. Academics are great, food is great, just hope you don't live in a dorm on the side of campus they're currently doing construction on.

Morgan

I absolutely love it here! The campus has everything and more available to students who are interested in anything imaginable. There are so many clubs, sports, and organizations it is almost impossible to not be involved. However, the campus is very big in size and population which I realize isn't for everyone so keep that in mind.

Alyssa

I can't imagine going anywhere else. I love how the campus has a ton of school pride and I love to see the campus come together for schoolwide events. You can find a club that fits what you are looking for. With such a huge campus you can always find something fun to do.

Big campus that can easily feel small once you get involved in what you're interested in. I recommend joining a scholars group to try and get into a nice dorm otherwise you might get stuck with bad housing. Plus there's nothing better than OSU football games.

Jesse

This place has it all. It's got world class medical center, engineering lab, and liberal arts programs. It's rec center, library, and sports facilities are all incredible. The oval is a massive central place where people hang out between classes. Food and housing is OK. The people are incredible here. Columbus is an amazing place, and campus is close to a ton of cool neighborhoods, as well as the downtown area. The professors are great. It is a large state school, however, which means nothing is handed to you; you have to reach out and take it. Professors want to know you and help you, but you must take the initiative. If you do, the school will shrink some, and you will get the tlc you need, and a worldclass education.

The main campus of The Ohio State University is a gorgeous area with a diverse intellectual population. There are knowledgable professors and a club for any type of interest on campus. The atmosphere of the college is warmly inviting and intense on game days, giving students memories they will never forget.

Drew

I was unsure if I would enjoy OSU, but I have come to love everything about the place. The professors are wonderful and they truly care. No matter where you come from or what you do, there is someone on campus who would be glad to talk with you about it. Sometimes, students can become a little more interested in what they are doing academically, but for the most part people respect all disciplines of learning on campus.

Ronald

I think Ohio State is a great university and the best place I could have chose to spend my post secondary years. The campus as a whole is great with a lot of nature and city mixed together. The campus food could be better, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Fatima

I love it! It is an awesome university and I am very privileged and lucky to attend. If I could redo the college application process, I would choose Ohio State even quicker than I did. The students and the faculty are all amazing. The university is huge but that just allows for you to make even more friends.

Akhila

OSU is a wonderful campus for those who enjoy warm summers, cold winters, and Ohio's bipolar weather

There is no other university I'd rather be at. I wouldn't trade my experiences here, the education I receive, and friends I've made for anything.

Noah

Social and academic success at Ohio State University-Main Campus is rooted in one's ability to find their communal niche, that is, to make the campus smaller. There are a number of clubs and student organizations, however, many of these clubs suffer the monotony of being less than stimulating. The creative student with regard to activity in the community is thus the successful student. After struggling for many semesters to find like-minded individuals within academic and extra-curricular student organizations: I was able to find my Ohio State family in the Ohio State Sailing Team. And so my advice is this: no matter the sport, join a club sports team. Club sport teams go beyond greek life and organization- you will travel together, make friends at other universities across the country, and you will all participate and develop a passion surrounding a common activity. I joined the team having no sailing experience and one year later I found myself on a catamaran sailing across the Atlantic ocean to the island of Bimini in the Bahamas with my teammates. During the summer I sail competitively with our team's faculty advisor and in August I will be in Croatia sailing in the Adriatic sea with teammates. Ohio State University is a large school but the best way to get involved and build a family is to join a club sport team- perhaps you may discover a new passion. Not only have I discovered the hobby of a lifetime, I have established a family and have made life-long friendships both at Ohio State University and across the country. The club sport community transcends state borders and competitors will be welcomed with open arms at schools across the country. If you are considering Ohio State University-Main Campus I vehemently encourage you to look into the club sport teams and to contact the current boards of interest. You will not regret it and you will be successful as a result.

Jourdan

Going to the Columbus campus puts you in the heart of everything from food to entertainment. There are also a lot of internship opportunities depending on your major/area of focus. It is still a city, so you may still want to keep an eye out for the snakes and lock your doors. Despite that and the overwhelming size of campus, it is a great opportunity and they help prepare you for graduation and life afterward. There are also many more classes and options to take them available at the main Columbus Campus.

Sydnee

It’s a fun place to be. You just need to have your priorities straight and you will be okay. Football is the sport that brings in the most money. Basketball does pretty good too. There are so many good food places on campus and for the party people there are places to go for that. There’s literally something for everybody.

Christian

I feel that the OSU main campus is good. There are a wide variety of extracurricular activities to partake in as well as a large span for many majors. You can be you here, and you don't have to try to be someone you're not. I come from a small town, and a transition to a big university may seem overwhelming at first, but once I got to know people and be apart of a group, I felt better about my decision. OSU has opened my eyes and mind up to much more than there is to tell, but it has really helped me evolve as a person.

chenoa

I have just completed my first year as a student at The Ohio State University and I honestly cannot imagine myself going anywhere else. It has a very diverse student body and their is an abundance of things to get involved in such as athletics, clubs, service and greek life. The academics and facilities are amazing and there is no shortage of opportunities for students to grow in and outside of the classroom. There are plenty of fun things to do on and around campus and in spite of being a large university their is a strong community environment.

Lindsey

Ohio State is a fantastic school with an atmosphere unlike anywhere else. It has a strong focus on academics but also has an incredible extra-curricular program that make the campus a wonderful place to be.

Julie

For me, Ohio State University is the perfect fit. As soon as I stepped foot on the campus, I fell in love. I love how large and expansive the campus is and I feel that it is quite a beautiful place to go to school. The number of resources available to students is insane. From the dining locations and food, to all of the gyms/rec centers across campus, there is something for everyone to take advantage of.

Aleaha

Ohio State is a very diverse campus! There is never a day where you walk around and see tons of different people. You can always meet someone new and always make new friends. There are always ways to get involved around campus because there are tons of organizations and clubs that people can join from a BBQ club, to dancing, to Greek life, to even something for your major! You name it and we have something that you are interested in. Ohio state is the place to be because you can always get connected and experience life changing events all around. There are multiple ways to get connected around campus from the students, to professors and even alumni. We all treat each other like family because we are all here to learn, grow, and prosper in our field of work. I've always wanted to be a Buckeye because it will always live with me! From the academics, to the sports, events around campus and overall atmosphere you will never be disappointed when you come to campus. There is always someone here to help you and guide you in the direction that you are trying to go for your life. Ohio State University is a wonderful campus and it is a life changing adventure that I have made that I will never regret.

Bailey

My overall opinion of the Ohio State University - Main Campus is above and beyond my expectations. Although it has an immense number of students, there are still so many opportunities and help for each and every student. The campus is always clean and is finding healthier and safer options for its students. The academics and extracurricular activities balance each other out in a fun and productive manner. Overall, it is a wonderful campus.

Evelyn

The Ohio State University is an extremely enourmous campus. There’s over 50,000 students so you never see the same face twice. That being said, there’s so much to experience with thousands of other people. The clubs, activities, and campus events work to unite people for a common interest. OSU also has a great academic reputation so you can pursue your dream field of study while never being bored at campus. The staff and students are very proud to be at OSU.

Allison

The Ohio State University is known for their great football team and sports overall, but they offer so much more. The academics, spirit, and resources are outstanding and of great variety. Ohio is my new home and I can't wait to be back making new friends everyday and learning new things.

Myana

The home of the buckeyes... The Ohio State University is an amazing school if you make your college experience great. We are one big school, but OSU makes you feel at home. I love my school, but at times can be very annoying. They do help with making your dreams happen!

Parker

Ohio State is a fantastic public university that offers several opportunities to their students to get involved in their field, school, and community as a whole. Ohio State excels at making sure incoming freshman and transfer students feel welcomed and at home at the school. Ohio State is overall a great university with a great mix of educational and social opportunities that I would recommend to anyone.

Overall, very good. Good professors are kind of a hit or miss, but to be honest if you put in the time and effort its not that bad. On campus food gets really stale really fast, so be sure to carry some money with you to school to be able to buy off campus food once in a while or else you will die.

Alexis

The Ohio State University solely captured my attention and became home immediately following the first visit; the environment was completely unfamiliar to me, but resonated with an aura of comfort and belonging. Both faculty and students have been a pleasure to be around and have made efforts that go above and beyond my initial expectations. My only hindrance with the school comes in the form of tuition; however, there are plenty of opportunities for financial aid.

Aveen

It is a big campus and it is really beautiful. There are many services on campus to help you and professors are available to help you when you need it. The work load is very tough, but that is what you should expect with college. If college was easy then anybody could get in. I am a proud student of my university and I love being a buckeye.

Audrey

I think Ohio State is a great place to live out your undergraduate career. The campus is so big and open, but you really can make it your own through clubs and friends. Academics are very important and Ohio State does not disappoint. It's great to be a buckeye!

I absolutely love OSU. It is a huge school so that can be a hard adjustment but there are so many resources to make it seem like a small school and really get you ahead. Also the diversity on campus is amazing!

Rachael

The campus is absolutely beautiful. The first time I set foot on campus, I knew it would soon be my future home. Every area feels unique, almost like a different university. There are a huge variety of clubs to join to get involved and it makes the huge university feel a lot smaller. The Ohio State University gives you that one special bond of being a Buckeye forever.

Leila

Ohio State University is a community open to welcoming everyone. There are opportunities for almost any interest on campus. While there are a variety of majors for students to choose from, the campus also holds a variety of events for all students, such as fall and spring concerts, talks with different professionals, and movies on the Oval. In addition, there are a ton of student organizations: Bread Club, Deaf and Hearing Club, Off the Lake Productions, and so many more. Ohio State has opportunities for every student to enjoy.

Aniliese

Despite being the third largest university in the nation, finding where you belong is surprisingly easy at the Ohio State University. Being so big, the university has everything you could imagine, both in terms of academics and extracurriculars. There's something for everyone here, and Ohio State does everything they can to help you find what you like. When I first came to Ohio State, I was worried I would be lost in the mass of students, unable to get individualized help. However, I have found the opposite to be true. Most of my classes have been relatively small, some of them only twenty or so people, so it was easy to get to know the professor and the other students. Some of my more general classes have been large lectures, but even then, the professors have regular office hours and are available to schedule individual appointments if you email them. If talking to the professor wasn't an option, many large general classes had specific rooms staffed by teaching assistants that you could go to without an appointment and get free tutoring. I used this service for both my calculus and chemistry classes, and it saved my grade. If you prefer to study with your peers, Ohio State does a great job of building academic communities so that you can connect with students in your major or with similar interests. There's the Honors College, many Scholars programs, and other organizations that can live together and that take many of the same classes to facilitate a sense of community. I joined the Honors College and lived in a dorm with other Honors students, and it was a great way to meet people with similar interests. We studied together often and shared opportunities and advice. I met some of my best friends through the Honors College. I met my other friends through extracurricular activities. Ohio State has an activities fair twice a year so students have a chance to see all of the opportunities available to them. The activities fair is a fun, festive experience, but it is also an easy way to see what is available to you. It can help you find your interests and then get in contact with the clubs you want to join. There's everything you can imagine, from student government to religious clubs to Reptile Club. Whatever your interests, there is a club for it at Ohio State; and if there's not, it's easy to start your own club. Students can also join Greek life and play recreational sports with their friends. I played coed soccer with my friends, and it was the most fun I've had in college so far. Another great experience I've had here is with undergraduate research. When most people think of Ohio State, they think of football, but Ohio State is also a research university and invests in many different kinds of research. They make this research very accessible to undergraduates, offering classes and seminars on how to get involved in research. They even have a department for it, the Undergraduate Research Office, and they can help you find a position in a lab on campus. This is a great way to prepare for graduate school and a great way to gain experience in your field before you even graduate. I was able to start research my freshman year, simply by emailing a professor. I learned that I did not like the subject I was researching and switched labs after my freshman year to something I am more interested in. Without this opportunity, I wouldn't have known as much about my field or my interests within my major. I now have a much better idea of what I want to do after college because of this experience, and I feel I have found my niche within my major. Though Ohio State has many little communities within it, at the end of the day we are all Buckeyes. We all link arms and sing Carmen Ohio at the end of every football game, and no one misses the game against the State Up North. Though there are many types of people at Ohio State, we all share a love for this school and pride in being Buckeyes. Ohio State has great academics, research, and student life, but what really makes being a Buckeye so special is that I know that for the rest of my life, I will always have the Buckeye community behind me.

I’m so glad I became a Buckeye! Honestly, the opportunities make everything worthwhile. Whether it’s an extracirricular, Greek .org, student org, or just a random event put on by the school there’s always something to do. Also, I’ve met some of my greatest friends here and can’t wait to see what else life holds for us!

Ryan

So far, it has been the best place for me to thrive...I am so glad I chose The Ohio State for the next chapter in my life! From the overall school spirit, to the quality of education and access to resources, my school is second to none. I live in an air conditioned dorm with students in my scholars program, so I am comfortable with my surroundings and the friends I am associated with.

Eunice

OSU is an incredibly expansive university that has opportunities for many. At times, the amount of privilege on this campus is apparent, but there are also students that have been offered opportunities from the school to be able to pursue higher education. Which is great, but personally I feel that OSU can do more to help students in need. Academics are steadily becoming more important, but this depends on each department. There is surprisingly a large portion of students on the campus that don't take their education seriously. I have a love-hate relationship with OSU, but overall, I'm happy that I've chosen this school because of the people I've met, the opportunity to engage with different majors, and the city of Columbus.

Anthony

Ohio State University has a good academic and social balance. It really feels like everyone is there to get a high-class education while still having fun. The is a big emphasis on staying active and the are many extra-curriculars and facilities to promote this.