Ohio State University-Newark Campus

« See more reviews of Ohio State University-Newark Campus

If I was able to talk to myself as a senior with the knowledge I have received from college, I would be able to tell myself a lot of important information. I would first tell myself to never give up in school work and that every assignment will help in some aspect. Also that the knowledge you receive in high school is the foundation to your success in college. I would tell myself to never take your senior year for granite and to enjoy the free time. Free time is one aspect that seniors do waste and I wish that I could spend it more with friends, because even though it clich?, you never realize what you have till it?s gone. Another piece of advice I would tell myself is to start developing good time management skills and to only think of your college life in quarters. College is overwhelming at first and if you start to look too far ahead then you will never reach your goal. Thinking in quarters also allows you to set achievable goals and your grades will be small incentives. College is fun and can be enjoyable with a better starting knowledge of college.

I would tell myself to relax and have faith in my abilities. Experience has shown me that the period of time before the first midterm or essay in a class should be taken very seriously until I gain a real rhythm for the class. After I determine what the instructor is looking for in his or her students, then I can relax and narrow my studies to the pertinent material. I would also tell myself to gain a good rapport with instructors when possible. A large amount of information can be gleaned from personal conversations, especially when it is directly a part of my major and made easier by the fact that I have a very wide range of interests. Most importantly, I would have told myself to begin my hobby as a professional wrestler. No matter how stressful school or work has been, the confidence a successful hobby instills has been indispensible and motivates me to excel in all areas with creativity and a good attitude. School is hard and demands commitment but sacrificing too much personal joy is the reason I became burnt out and quit for several years.

As a high school senior I worked hard to keep my gpa up and created goals to obtain a successful future, but the thought of college life stressed me out. I never really recieved support from my family to attend the college of my choice, rather I was told I would be attending the local college branch. All of this combined caused me to put attending college on hold. I never forgot about the goals I had set for myself in 2009 and decided it was time to enroll into college, and I did. Attending The Ohio State University regional Newark campus is the first step in achieving a successful future for myself, but now looking back, I wish as a high school senior, I would have attended college following graduation. My advice to myself would be to not get too stressed out and to follow my heart and make my own decisions. Being self sufficent, balancing work , school, and a social life, is difficult, but I would reassure myself that the transition from high school to college would all be worth it in the long run. That perseverance is the key to achieving my goals.

So far my college experience has definately been a learning experience, and it hasn't always been easy. I was not taking full advantage of my various academic success options throughout the beginning of the year. I've learned from things that I've done things that I am able to do better. I've learned that being scared to ask for help, only hinders me in the end. My experience thus far has given me so much information that I can share with my younger siblings to help them be better prepared when they enter college. It has been valuable to me that I attend college because it is preparing me for my adult life, and the challenges it will bring. College is helping me to become more succesful and more tactful in all that I do, and it is also putting me in a position to reach my future goal of becoming a teacher. Without me attending college, I would not be able to recieve the degrees and lisences needed for me to become a teacher. I also would not be as prepared as I could be to lead and educate the next generation to success.

OSU Newark has provided you with the right general education requirements until you will transfer out-of-state for your major classes required for your major of marine biology. Even though this was a good choice, look more into Columbus State Community College as it is cheaper and your credits might transfer over easier. While at Ohio State though, make sure you always enroll into your classes as soon as possible because they are not first come first serve (they are based off of the amount of credits you already have in college). Math lab will be your friend throughout your math troubles and is very reliable. Always rent your books, never buy them if possible. Always take at least 15 credit hours per quarter so you will not have to cram in credits in order to achieve your goal of receiving an Associates Degree. Your transition from OSU Newark to Coastal Carolina University will be stressful, but always stay determined and motivated as it will be a huge step in acheiving your life long dream of marine biology.

As a high school senior, I would advise myself to attend college where my heart is telling me to go. There are so many stressful factors placed on high school students regarding college and I think every high school student needs to know that what matter is if, once they are in college, they are having the experience they imagined themselves having. Money generally plays a large factor in the college decision and money is mostly the reason I personally chose to start out at a local branch of Ohio State rather than on main campus in Columbus. Looking back, I would tell myself to start out on Ohio State main campus because I feel as though that would have given me a more fulfilling college experience. Over all, I would tell myself to make my college decision based on myself and no one else—not on current friends or boyfriends. I would advise myself to just make sure that the decision I made was what I personally wanted the most for myself. Because, when it all comes down to it, it is my own future in my hands.

If i were to go back and speak to myself as a senior there are two things i know i would have told myself to prepare better for, saving up for expenses and never lose sight of my values in life. Although eventually I would be on my own i never really realized how much my parents did and spent on me. When it came time to sign up for culinary school it was a real eye opener seeing how much school would cost and figuring out where i would get the money from. I am very big on being independent and figuring things out on my own but i do know i will need help financially with college and living expenses. One thing i do know for sure is that i have never ever gave up on my hopes and dreams of bringing all my educational values together and one day owning and running a corporation of my own. I have been and am working harder than ever before to further my education and i won't give up until i have reached my full potential and I have an amazing hard working family to thank for that.

I would tell parents that they need to look at colleges that are comfortable for their child. They are the ones attending and having to get the degrees there. If the classes don't match what they are studying and they are uncomfortable they will not succeed. So I would say listen and understand this is for them. I have one in college now and one going next year. Through the experience I learned that as long as they want it and they feel they have made the desicion they will succeed. As a student I would say make sure you look into where you will attend for the four years, in my case I'm transferring to main campus the next two years and that requires a lot of driving. So make sure they understand will they be able to complete their degree there and how long will it take. Also I would say that if you plan to transfer that you make sure that your classes will transfer with you. Make sure if you don't like big campuses that you look into smaller ones and there classs sizes.

Students: take the time to decieded what is right for you. Start preparing early, that way you have a handful of acceptance letter to pic from; not a handful of applications to fill out. Parents: help your child whenever they need it. Weather they want to admit it or not, they are nervous too. Let them deciede their future. You have cared for them for many years now; let them take the reins. They are smarter than you think and all you can do if give your opinion and support them through their journey. The college experience is an unforgettable one. Social life outside the school is just as important as life inside the classroom. Your going to get stressed out at times and at other times you'll be having a blast. Just stay focused. Your an adult now and thats exacty how you will be treated. Nobody is going to hold your hand anymore and your ife is your responsibility. Have fun and learn as much as you can. Good Luck!!

We have all asked ourselves the question "What If?"; I myself have especially asked that and wondered what I would say if put in the position to actually be able to give myself advice from the past. I would start off by giving myself a heads up on when to start looking at colleges. You need as much time as possible to choose your future; especially based on what you want, and not what all your friends are doing. I would also tell myself to work as much as possible, because college and it's expenses really do put a dent in your pocket. With school comes stress, and with that being said, I would warn myself to avoid procrastination. There is no need to stress if you don't have to, so you might as well get the work done and out of the way. But most of all, I would mention to always stay positive and have fun, because these years are supposed to be the best of our lives, and it will all be over with before we know it.