Athens, OH
Ohio University-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ohio University-Main Campus

Sara

I'd like graduate students to be acknowledged by the greater university community. This survey is obviously tailored towards undergrads and yet it was sent out to the officers of a graduate student organization. In the dropdown menu there are only freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, and alum. Technically I'm already an alum since I've finished my MA but not the type of alum that I think this survey thought they would be capturing. It's really annoying to continuously be ignored as a community.

OU has lots of different cliques and they don't necessarily interact with each other

Again, the whole graduate/undergraduate issue.

Professors know my name because I'm a grad student. Graduate studies at OU is very different from undergrad.

They aren't that smart and party all of the time

The campus is definitely beautiful. I would definitely change the parking situation, there just isn't enough for OU staff and students. I like the size of of the school, it's just right. When I tell people I go to OU, they have one of two reactions: 1) "Oh, you go to Ohio State!" or 2) "Oh! The big party school!" When I'm on campus I'm either in class or at one of my two jobs. Since I live farther off campus, I'm only on campus when I have to be. Athens is definitely a college town. A lot of students stay after graduation because they love the college town feel (that and they probably don't want to grow up and go into the real world). I hate the current OU administration, they make decisions that directly affect the students and they never ask our opinions. The most recent big controversy was when over 50% of the students and faulty voted no confidence in President McDavis and he ignored the vote and said outcome of the vote didn't matter. as for school pride, it's about neutral. I think people have more pride in OSU than OU. As for anything unusual about OU, we have one of the most haunted campuses in America...it's fantastic! I'll always remember my friends and the great times we had. Student frequently complain about the lack of communication between the OU administrators and the faulty and students.

OU says they are "diverse" but lets face it, in a small southeastern Ohio town (where some rednecks think that we were fighting for the South in the Civil War and display their Confederate flags proudly), you're not going to get very much diversity.

For the most part, yes. Only because the students enjoy the "party school" image. When I first started school here, OU used to be a slightly selective school and now I feel like they just let anyone in. Manly because a lot of people choose to come here because of the "party school" image and I feel like it's just dragging our academics down. I feel like my education from this school is shit.

If you're in a smaller class they tend to know your name. My favorite classes where History classes. One was about Nazi Germany and the other was about the history of the Jewish Holocaust. My least favorite classes where pretty much all my Tier II and my Tier III classes because some of them I felt were too detailed in their subject matter for classes that are supposed to be general classes. I think students study about as much as students from other universities. Some study all the time, some not at all. I hate class participation because I always feel like I'm going to answer wrong but it's a big part of the university. Students don't spend time outside of class with professors. I personally hate the Tier requirements. I fee like it's a waste of time that we could be taking classes that we actually want to take. I feel like the university thinks that as long as we take these classes we will become more knowledgeable in these different subject areas, when in truth we pretty much forget a lot of the crap we learn in those useless classes.

Greek organizations are very popular. I'm not really into that though, so I don't care. I don't have time with classes and working two jobs to be involved when organizations. Football is very popular (even though OU sucks at it). But it's really the only sport that gets advertised which sucks for all the good teams (like women's basketball and volleyball) who get recognized nationally yet our own students don't even know about them. The dating scene is centered around the bars here. With nearly 20 of them, how can it not? I know some people who get drunk every night of the week, never come to classes (except on exam days), and never study....needless to say, they don't do well. The university tries it's hardest to come up with activities that don't involve drinking.....they are usually lame.

That all we do is drink. And it's the only reason why some people come here.

The best thing about OHIO is the campus. Nowhere else does a place look and feel like what college is supposed to look and feel like. One thing I would change is the communication between the administration and the studets. They are working on it, but it's slow. Ohio University is the perfect balance of big and small. Because the student body makes up 1/2 of the Athens population during the school year, I think it makes the area seem bigger. But during the summers, Athens is the quintessential small town. I think it's perfect. When I tell people I attend Ohio University.... their response? "How 'bout them Buckeyes!?" (thinking to myself- NOOOOOO what the EFF is wrong with you? I said O-H-I-O UNIVERSITY... there's no STATE in there) and I politely respond "oh, no, I'm at OHIO UNIVERSITY, in ATHENS. Yes, college town. See above. The administration could use some work. Again, see above. The biggest controversy on campus, for me, has been the cutting of athletics. Privately for OHIO, I think it was the financial situation Glidden left McDavis. School Pride? What? I guess to some extent. Yes, OZONE supports football and men's basketball, but not women's sports. Yes, if you see someone out in the middle of nowhere sporting an OHIO sweatshirt you automatically identify with them. No, I think while many of the students don't like the image of Ohio University, many of them do not have enough courage to make the change to be truly proud. I think the art community and the farmer's market are two assests to Athens and Ohio University. Both connect the student body and the town. An experience I will always remember: Presenting at the American College of Sports Medicine national conference in Denver my Junior year. It was a fantastic experience. Complaint: 8am classes and hills.

I have worked with many of the student communities on campus. I think a student coming from middle America suburbia won't notice a change. The campus is primarily white. Students wear jeans. Or sweatpants. We're a comfortable campus. Woke up late for class? Don't worry, PJ pants and a hoodie are just fine!! Table One: The athletes Table Two: The greeks Table Three: The white students Table Four: The black students Ohio University students come from all over. Primarily they come from the state of Ohio. Within Ohio, students primarily come from Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinatti. Financial Background: all over the board. I would say the average student is from lower to upper middle class, and even some of the poorer areas (locally). Yes, students are politically active and aware. It is a small group, but you know they're here. Students are predominately quite liberal. I think it's the community that promotes the progressive nature of the campus. Students are always talking about the job they'll get one day with the HUGE paycheck. Always. It's why a lot of them come to school, unfortunately.

It's a great place, but it's not for everyone. You need to examine the location of the school and how that fits you.

No. Drinking and partying can be found on every campus across the nation. I think OHIO is pegged as the party school because of Halloween and the nationally ranked magazines. Not only do we have smart students, we have some of the brightest, with over a dozen students winning nationally and internationally competitive awards.

They drink. They're drunk. They know how to party.

Most Popular Student Org: intramural sports. Students in their "residence halls" leave their doors open. It's an easy way to let your friends and neighbors know you're home, and it's a great way to meet new people. Athletic events. Students go. Could be better? Football- they leave after 1/2 time, once the band has played. Speakers, frequently unattended. Unless it's some big name. My closest friends were the people I lived with on my floor, and below. I only remained close with one person from high school. 2am on a Tuesday: I was NEVER up this late. I had 8am classes. Traditions: Halloween, bar "riots" during the time change, freshman march up Richland before school starts People party every day. More on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and the weekends. It's college. It happens. Greek life isn't for everyone. It's okay. It's only about 11-12% of the student body. You know they're here, but they're not overbearring. Last weekend- my parents came down. We went to a movie and had breakfast at Jana's. Saturday nights: Midnight movies, Athena Grand, Ping, Billiards in Baker. Off campus: bowling and grocery shopping

Yes, professors know my name. I think this stems from my time outside the classroom spent with them. Favorite class- anatomy. I loved learning about the body. Least favorite class- probably math. I'm not such a fan. Studying: students really do need to study. Working now as a grad student with students on academic probation, this area could not be any more clear. In high school students are able to breeze by with a quick glance at notes prior to an exam. In college, you need to study. You need to look at the material at once a day. The more frequently you review, the less cramming you'll need to do before a test. Students are competitive if they know where they're going. Students who are undecided often struggle with finding the motivation to compete academically with their peers. I was competitive. I had to get to grad school. In undergrad, I spent a lot of time outside the class with my professors. Much of my time was spent in the lab with faculty doing research or spending a morning with one of them talking about the program to prospective students. I even babysit for one of them. An Ohio University education is geared toward getting a job. Yes, there is a liberal arts component, but many majors and programs of study include the classes in the Tier II component. Students do not have to go out of their way to find this liberal arts education, but at the same time, no one is striving to find it either.

Steve

I have noticed that Ohio University is a very tolerant campus. I would not say we are diversified racially (the vast majority of students are white), but people are particularly open about their sexuality, political preferences, and opinions on a number of different issues. Most come from Ohio, but I have known people from as far away as Beijing, China. The Midwest is more than well-represented on campus. Students who have something against being laid-back would most likely have a real problem with how things operate at OU. Many students simply wear sweatpants and hooded sweatshirts to class, not willing to dress their best just so they can sit in some lecture hall for two hours. I mentioned before that political activism was strong on campus. There is an obvious leaning toward the left of the political spectrum, as almost the entire campus was in support of Barack Obama. One would have been hard-pressed to find anyone supporting John McCain or even Hillary Clinton. Luckily, my roommate was a Ron Paul supporter.

I would say these are accurate to an extent. For instance, I come across a lot of people whose only goal seems to be to get wasted every single weekend and do nothing else. But for everyone one of those students there are a handful of others who are involved in a myriad of different activities - political activists, actors/actresses, music fiends, writers, etc. There are a lot of talented people hidden beneath the stereotype that this is just a "party school."

People sure do like to drink at OU (how else could they have gotten the reputation as a party school?). However, that is not the only thing a student can do on campus, especially on the weekends. Uptown on Court Street (the main street of Downtown Athens), there are restaurants and a movie theater showing some of the latest in independent films. Movie buffs will particularly enjoy that aspect, as there are a few theaters to choose from. Additionally, OU has its own film festival and the School of Telecommunications hosts its own 48 Hour Shootout in the winter. Teams have 48 hours to write, film, and edit a film before showcasing it to a full audience. I did this in February of 2008 and it was a rush all weekend. It was certainly stressful trying to complete the film on time, but every moment was worth it. Greek life is important to people who enjoying partying and getting drunk - often. But not everyone gets involved with it and can find a number of things to do, such as going to Ping Center to work out. A massive workout facility, Ping Center offers students the ability to do pretty much anything: lift weights, go running, play basketball, badminton, racquetball, ping-pong, or go take a chance on the climbing wall. OU is "only" part of the MAC, so it would be rare for a team to be playing for a national title. However, football and basketball are popular with the students, especially basketball. Nearly every game boasts such a raucous student section that the Convocation Center where the team plays has become known for having such a strong home crowd. The games are exciting to watch, and students get in for free with an ID.

Professors in my smaller classes certainly try to get to know the names of their students. Being that I am a Creative Writing major, many of my classes only have about twenty students, so the professor gets to know everyone closely, or as close as the students will allow. My favorite classes are the workshops, where students bring in work they've written and everyone else in the class critiques it. It has helped my writing evolve to a point I did not think it would and I am excited to see where it goes next.

The biggest stereotypes about Ohio and Ohio students are that we are nothing more than a bunch of people who like to party and do little else, especially when it comes to schoolwork.

David

I love the size of Ohio University. With about 17,000 undergrads, it's big enough to get national attention but small enough to give you a strong liberal arts education. Some stuff can still be lost in the shuffle however, espesially when it comes time to register for classes. Advisors are often hard to get a hold of, and lacking the right information. Question posed to ‘OU student’: “So, where ya goin’ to school?” You: “Ohio University.” Their response is probably some variation of, “That’s a party school, ya know?!” Following this deceptive remark is the brainless grin that creeps onto their face as they feel some sense of accomplishment from reading or hearing of the Princeton Review. Everyone goes through Baker University Center - this awesome 5 story, escaltor equipt place, with a food court, coffee shop, computer lab, school pride store, post office and more. You'll see friends on the escalators all the time and yell "Hey" from accross the hallways. Its awesome! Athens is VERY much a college town... maybe even THE college town. It seems like there is a new controversy on campus every other week. While some get more attention than others, it seems like it takes a big toll on student morale. It doesn't help that the student-run campus newspaper, The Post, runs anything they can get their greasy hands on that makes someone who makes over $150,000/yr look bad (and they make sure to include their salary in the first few lines). School pride can defiantly lack at times. With Ohio State University less than 80 miles away, many students will wear their atheletic gear instead of OU green and white. OU is really cool because of it's history. Established in 1804, Ohio University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio and the first in the Northwest Territory.

OHIO has a noticeable problem with diversity. Something like 85% of OU is white, middle-upper class students from the Suburbs of Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland. Politics is a huge hotbutton at OU. Students get very heated and invovled about their issues and hold a lot of rallies. Athens and OU are both very liberal. Some students talk about how much they'll make one days... I've found most of them are in the College of Business.

Our Marching 110 is THE best college band around. Period. They make everything they're at SO much fun and they sound so awesome every time they play!

Make no mistake, while Athens may be small, it is packed with fun and entertainment - even if you don't drink. Athens has a great, and largely untapped, music scene just waiting to really take off. The University also continuously tries to bring big events to campus. In terms of partying, OU really doesn't party any more than any other school. Especially in the last few years, as the administration has come out with a new alcohol policy that is really strict. They're coming out with a new pot policy too.

Professors tend to vary a lot. Some are really involved and some are very distant. Math classes don't tend to get too "touchy feely", while english classes can get really invovled. Any class in Morton 201 and your professor won't know you... that's one of our large lecture halls of over 500 seats. Students study a lot. OU works hard and plays hard, and we're proud of it. Probably more than we should be. Student will often be found engaging in debates about random stuff (i.e. how many melted paperclips would equal the weight of a car). Happens all the time. The College of Business has a really good repuation, but could use a new building. Copeland hall is a little outdated and could use renovations. The different departments tend to work pretty well togehter and stuff gets done. The College of Business is known for it's cluster. The primary objective of this "cluster" is to integrate different subjects and concepts of four courses so students get a sense of the overlapping issues and learn how to work in real-world situations. So, you're in 4 courses that work together to coordinate on HUGE projects in addition to daily homework assignments. You get a group of 5 or so peers (mostly sophomores and juniors and typically report on a hotbutton issue in the business world. Some recent ones have been the coffee industry and the toy industry. OHIO has a bad rap when it comes to being able to register for classes. Almost everyone I know has had at least one classes they needed to take to graduate not be offered when they needed it.

Campus Crusade has a big following at OU, but is very conservative in it's approach. Students in the Residence Halls are pretty lose about security. They lock all the outside doors, but that doesn't stop people from coming in behind other people with keys. A lot of people date the people in their same hall. Athelietic events are decent. We've had a pretty sad football team for a long time, but we've started to get a lot better with our new coach. Basketball is a lot of fun, our student section, the OZone, is a blast!!! Hockey, a club sport @ OU, is also a great thing for a Friday or Saturday evening. Weekends at OU are a lot of fun! For the responsible, non-drinkers, Baker Unviersity Center always has fun stuff. Laughter After Dark on Fridays brings national comedians in every week at midnight. The midnight movie shows in the theatre too. Free food is everywhere. There's always tons of people hangin out and playing pool on the first floor.

Ohio University has recieved a very strong reputation as a 'party school' over the years. We are known for our Halloween party up on the main drag, Court Street. This Halloween extravaganza has been known to double or even triple our on campus population of about 8,000 for the weekend and causes all kinds of stories to be created. People will come from all over the region for our Halloween event and look forward to it every year. Many freshman come to OU for the parties. Another stereotype is that there is "nothing to do in Athens."

Laura

The partying down in Athens is something to experience. The concentration of bars in the Uptown area is pretty overwelming, but most of these places are just restaurants who happen to have alcohol permits. Also, the academics at Ohio University are extremely underrated. We have been ranked nationally within the top 10 for our Ceramics and Journalism programs, and so many of the other programs are notable. We're really a "sleeper school": we've got talent and potential, people just aren't familiar enough with us to know.

I can speak on behalf of Ohio's art department and say, confidently, that the learning environment of the School of Art harbors great comradery. The classes are small, which gives the professor time to work with all students in the class(a necessity for art school). After class, you might go uptown to get a coffee or a bite to eat and end up sitting one table away from your prof... and that's cool. The professors live right down the street from you. You go to the same barbecues, the same gallery openings, and a lot of the time share friends.

I think that the ranking of #2 party school given to us in 2004 is pretty much all anyone knows about Ohio University. Oh, that and our Halloween celebration. I think these stereotypes cause misjudgements about our academic abilities, and thus when people hear "Ohio University" they think "Party School". People think of us as a contemporary setting for the remake of "Animal House".

Claire

The town of athens is really small and there is nothing around for about 45 minutes if you want a real mall or anything, but the town is starting to pick up. There is a lot of pride in the school, except during football season when we are basically OSU south. Lots of students spend the majority of their time at Baker or at the bars. The administration is horrible, constantly are voted "no confidence" but the Trustees dont care as long as they are making money. It's a total joke.

LGBT is a big thing here. Very respectfuk of those students. However, if you are white and straight, expect to be ignored. There is like a 2% population of black students on campus, LGBT students too. The rest of the students are ignored. Very speicific programs and events on campus for black students all the time, rarely enything not targeted toward them. Most OU students are from columbus or cleveland. Very politically active, mainly liberal students. Most students wear northface and sweats to class or jeans. Rarely people dress up, and no one really cares what you wear.

OU students know how to have fun but no more than any other school. Yeah, we have Halloween and street fests, but nothing more than any other school in the US. And yeah, the northface/ugg boot thing gets annoying. People pretty much stare at you if you arent in northface.

There are some really great professors here that will get to know your name even in a 75 person class and will help you. no questions asked. There are ofcouirse horrible ones who couldn't care less, but they are pretty rare. Students arent very competitive here, unless it's in a Journalism or Engineering class. The classes aren't too tough for the most part.

Doors are always open in underclass dorms, unless you live in a mod on south. Kinda desolate over there. Many great guest speakers/concerts (THE FRAY!!) I met my friends in the dorms and at work. Very very nice dating scene, great people on campus overall. Not a whole lot to do on the weekends besides drink, unless you take advantage of programming in Baker Center. Comedy, concerts, speakers, and always midnight movies. Halloween happens every year. About 10000 people show up for it, with like 50000 people total. It is a must atleast once in your life.

Ohio students are thought to be total drunks/partiers. The girls are all thought to be stuck up in their northface jackets/ugg boots.

Bryson

The best thing at Ohio University is the focus that students receive, whether it be in the classroom or in student organizations or even in different employment sectors throughout the university. One thing I would change about Ohio University is I would make more readily available scholarship monies for second and third year students. I spend the majority of my time on campus in the Baker University Center, either in the Multi-cultural Center, at work, or in one of the three offices that my student organizations are attached to, including Health Promotion. My opinion about the administration of Ohio University is that they are trying their best to meet student needs, but need to listen more and try at all when possible to not make arbitrary decisions concerning student life. One experience I will always remember is setting up a "Slip-N-Slide" in my dorm my first year.

As both a member of the racial minority community and the LGBT community, my experiences have been both positive and negative. There are time where I feel like I belong at OU, but there are times where I don't. Most of the financial backgrounds at OU are middle-class and upper middle-class; however, there are many students at OU who work, so I would argue that there is a significant number of low middle class families here as well.

These stereotypes may be true for a few students at Ohio University, but I am most certain that Ohio University students are high academic achievers both before they arrive at Ohio University and most certainly after their tenure here.

One prominent stereotype that I hear a lot outside of the Ohio University campus is that Ohio University is a party school and that students at Ohio University aren't as serious about their academics as they are concerned about partying.

The Black Student Cultural Programming Board is one of the only three organizations annually funded by the Students Activities Commission or SAC. Our mission is "Empowerment through cultural awareness" and we provide a litany of programs with the intent to increase cultural awareness throughout the campus. If I am awake on a Tuesday at 2am, I am most likely studying. Last weekend, I stood in front of the Courthouse and collected money for my Peer Health educators organization, POWER, so we can go to our conference at Notre Dame in Indiana.

I am always aware of my professors names, I study 1-2 times per week and class participation is slow at first, but as the comfortability level increases, their is also an increase in student participation.

Ohio University-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.