Ohio University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Ohio University-Main Campus

OU has a shared student atmosphere. Most of us are laid-back and relaxed. We work hard toward our own futures, but rarely are there disagreements on campus that center on race, religion, sexuality, or socioeconomic background. Quite simply, being at OU is the most important thing here. Once you go here, nobody really cares where you're from. It's all about enjoying the moment and the time spent in Athens, which most students call "the greatest place on Earth." While there is a significant number of international or out-of-state students, the majority are from Ohio. There is a large number of politically active students on campus, as hundreds of extracurricular organizations spanning everything from Young Democrats to our own ghost-hunting organization (Athens is listed as the 5th most haunted place on Earth). I go to class in sweats and OU tee-shirts; that's pretty much the dominant class attire, although some people do dress up. The nightlife is when people really show off their individual personalities, although that largely translates into who supports what sports teams. Sports events & holidays are well-celebrated at OU; students never miss a chance to celebrate and have fun.

I have worked with many of the student communities on campus. I think a student coming from middle America suburbia won't notice a change. The campus is primarily white. Students wear jeans. Or sweatpants. We're a comfortable campus. Woke up late for class? Don't worry, PJ pants and a hoodie are just fine!! Table One: The athletes Table Two: The greeks Table Three: The white students Table Four: The black students Ohio University students come from all over. Primarily they come from the state of Ohio. Within Ohio, students primarily come from Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinatti. Financial Background: all over the board. I would say the average student is from lower to upper middle class, and even some of the poorer areas (locally). Yes, students are politically active and aware. It is a small group, but you know they're here. Students are predominately quite liberal. I think it's the community that promotes the progressive nature of the campus. Students are always talking about the job they'll get one day with the HUGE paycheck. Always. It's why a lot of them come to school, unfortunately.

I think anyone can fit in here on campus. All thats required is that you care about your work and participate. There is so much diversity here, all races and religions. There are many different churches that you can go to. I took the Safezone workshop, which gets straight people to ally to the LGBT groups, and i feel like they are very accepted here. I am also part of OPIE, which pairs an english speaker up with an international student who is learning english or needs more help with it. Right now i've been meeting with 2 Saudi Arabians and a Malaysian. A large percent of Students here are from northeastern Ohio, but there are people from all over the united states and the world. Many students are politically aware, and i think Ohio is predominantly liberal. There is a group for everyone. Greek life is pretty big on campus, including social and honors fraternities, there is a lot of participation in plenty of different groups also. Many times teachers will have students work together on something, and it really shows how totally different people can get along really well.

The students at Ohio University are mostly white and middle class, there are few minorities seen on campus. Despite the lack of minorities at OU there are very few problems with racism. I have had very little experience with students that are different from me in terms of race, religion or socio-economic status. Students at Ohio University are extremely easy going and when attending class they will commonly wear whatever is most comfortable. If there were four tables of students in the dining hall all four of them would have a mix of guys and girls, mostly white, and there would be few, if any, major differences noticed in these groups of students. The majority of students that attend Ohio University are from a major city in Ohio, if they are not from Ohio they are commonly from either Pittsburgh or Maryland. Politics do not play a huge role at Ohio University, however during election season, many students embraced Barack Obama and many will do so again in this coming election.

There are all types of kids here I have not seen one person who is out of place. Most kids are not that preppy and wear gym shorts and shirts to class even PJ's. I do not think any kids would feel out of place here maybe if you were overly preppy but that is it. Different types of students do not interact that much it is a large school so kids only hang out with kids they have things in coming with. The 4 tables are meat heads (kids who workout are strong), hipsters kids who do there own thing, frat kids who are fraternities, regular freshman, girl tables who sit and gossip. Kids here are middle class I would say/think most are on some sort of financial aid some lower class kids from small towns in ohio. I have not met many kids who are politically interested and kids do not think about the future here (one of my pet peeves). The school is more partying and enjoying the present then the future.

You can find a lot of different types of people at OU. There seem to be a lot of "those people," which is what my friends and I call the preppy Barbie and Ken doll types who all seem to look, dress, and act the same; these are the people who get drunk all of the time and who I consider to be rather stupid and very unoriginal...sheep, basically. But beyond these people, there are a lot of originals - people who aren't afraid to be who they are and not worry about what other people think of it. Trust me, you'll be able to find people like yourself here. Everyone has a niche.

The students are very diverse, whether in their race, religion, class, sexual orientation, or even just in their interests. I love meeting new people, hearing their stories and experiences, and learning from them. I think there's a place for everyone at OU. Overall, OU seems to be pretty liberal, but for me, that makes me feel right at home. I think the greatest thing about OU's students is that all in all, everyone is just so nice and sincere. When I was making my college decision and talked to students from OU, I felt that they were friendly, trustworthy, and generous.

Throughout my career at Ohio University, I have met some of the most amazing individuals. The typical student at Ohio University is encouraging and uplifting. As a student in the College of Education, I have been blessed to take classes with students that wish only success for their peers. The classes I have taken have been an incredible group effort. If one student in the class is struggling, it is a common occurrance for other students to ensure support and any tutoring or help that that student may need. I am lucky to go to school with such positive individuals.

The two main races I see at Ohio University are white and Asian. Most other races are not as high, but I wouldn't say rare. When I go to class I usually wear a t-shirt with jeans or sweatpants along with most of the student body, but there are the people that get up the half hour earlier to look presentable. I on the other hand enjoy sleep wwwwaaayyyy too much. Most OHIO students are from all around Ohio (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, etc.). There are a lot of democrats here, Obama signs are EVERYWHERE!

Its a variety pack; you've got your eager mcbeavers, your slackers, your sleepers, your texters (though, now most get kicked out of class), your leaders, those classmates who do just enough to get by, etc. All in all, regardless of the category any one person falls into, when it comes down to it either there are drop outs or there are the people that do the work and get the privilege to stay. My motto has always been work hard, play hard. It couldn't be any more true than at Ohio Universtiy.