Ohio University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Ohio University-Main Campus

The student body at Ohio is varied. As much as college tends to stray from high school stereotypical cliques, it is easy to differentiate between groups at Ohio. For example, there are the sorority girls, frat guys, environmentalists (hippies), athletes, and so on and so forth. Because of the diverse group of students here, it would be really hard to feel out of place. There is so much to do here. Most Ohio students are from Ohio, mostly coming from Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnatti.

The campus is primarily white. However, I have seen a lot of Asian foreign exchange students. I am not sure, but if I were to guess which students would feel out of place it might be African-Americans. Since there are not all that many and having Athens be in the middle of rural Appalachian Ohio, it seems like it could be that way. OU students seem quite involved in politics. I have seen all kinds and I am not sure which side is more dominant here.

OU is very open to students of all backgrounds, and the end of welcome week is a large activities fair designed to get students to interact and join a community. Students transferring in may have difficulty adjusting, but for the most part people are incredibly friendly and helpful. Most students at OU dress for comfort, although some occasionally feel the need to dress nicely. Most people, though, dress in shorts and t-shirts, or jeans and hoodies.

I think every student should feel welcome here. A vast majority of students would identify themselves as caucasian. I am a resident assistant and have enjoyed have the opportunity to work with students that are studying abroad from many different countries, which is great and exciting. I have unfortunately witnessed a few instances in which people were treated unfairly due to the university's desire to maintain a diverse student body.

There is a diverse range of students. You won't get along with every student, but that goes for every university. I have made a core friend group of about 30 friends, and many of them will be close to me for life. I met my fiancée here. Even the classmates I'm not friends with are typically friendly. The student population is diverse, but respectful. Conservatives and liberals; students from foreign countries and every state.

I feel like OU is very racially accepting and tolerant of people with different ideals and views of the world. People with a old-fashioned mind set and who are unwilling to move out of their comfort zone, would have a problem at OU. I feel like OU is predominantly liberal, but students aren't very politically aware. Most students tend to be from the Cleavland or Columbus or Cincinnati area.

I don't really know what to say about the student body here. It's diverse in political, religious, and social views. Some people are really conservative and some are pretty radical. I don't think it's really possible to feel out of place here, because there is something for everyone. There are plenty of people who share common interests, so it's easy to find and interact with people.

The Sudents at Ohio University are very activity and passionate about their school and community surrounding it. Most students are extremely busy with academics or extra -curriculars that will help them in their future carreers but the all make time to give back to Ohio University and their fellow students. Students also know how to live stress-free and have good time.

OU's student body is a laid back crowd. Most party on the weekends and some party on the weekdays. In general, most of the campus is somewhat liberal; however, Campus Crusade for Life and 180 are some of the largest student organizations on campus. Aside from that, most students are physically active and visit the student recreation center.

My classmates are very diverse. In every class I can find someone I relate to about something but also disagree about something else. Everyone is very open and friendly. I have never felt out of place or isolated on campus because there is such a wide variety of people. There are groups and organizations for everything.