Ohio University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Ohio University-Main Campus

To a certain extent I would say OU has earned its reputation as a party school, because it does go on a lot, all throughout the week, even, but I wouldn't really say OU is different from any other university that way; if you go to almost any school, you'll find people partying. But in all honesty, we aren't all like that at all. A lot of people do, but then there are some of us who don't. There are a lot of things to do here other than drink. Yeah we have the big Halloween party, but trust me, it isn't all it's cracked up to be, and it isn't all OU students out there doing the crazy stuff - people come from all over for the party. Just realize that there are partiers, and they seem to get all the attention, but that by far isn't everyone. As for the haunted part, I've heard a lot of stories, and I've been in the Ridges, and I can't really say one way or the other whether it's haunted (assuming you believe in that sort of thing), but I will say that some of it can really freak you out.

I wouldn't say that partying is any more or less common at OU than it is on any other college campus. It's just as difficult to get alcohol or here as anywhere else, and in fact many of the party kids here realize that their scholarships depend on their ability to do well. As such, most of the drinking that I've heard about happens only on the weekends. However, I would like to note that I live in a quiet dorm with many other students on scholarship, so I may have a slightly biased view.

Although a lot of crazy stuff does happen sometimes (then again, how is that different from any college?), OU has much more to offer its students than just huge parties. There are tons of ways to find something you're passionate about, get involved, and really have an impact on our world. No two students are the same and we're not all drunks; we all have our own knowledge, skills, experiences and gifts to offer and that makes OU a truly diverse and interesting place to learn.

The stereotype of OU students is completely inaccurate. We have a reputation of being partiers unfocused on our studies. This could not be further from the truth. While a small percentage of the population does party often, most students focus on their academics and extracurriculars more than they focus on going to the bars or to parties.

No. Drinking and partying can be found on every campus across the nation. I think OHIO is pegged as the party school because of Halloween and the nationally ranked magazines. Not only do we have smart students, we have some of the brightest, with over a dozen students winning nationally and internationally competitive awards.

The party's are there, if you want to go, you can, But i don't feel like it is more of a party school than anywhere else. There really isn't that much to do in Athens, and there are plenty of bars, which is where we probably get rep from. Plus the Halloween crazyness.

I think that OU is a party school, but I think it has calmed down a lot. A lot of people have much higher expectations than what it can offer. Also, there are a lot of intense "hippies", but there is also a lot of every other "type" of person.

For the most part it is true that OU students party pretty often but they are also a very hardworking and intelligent group. In recent years our administration has been trying to break OU's reputation as a party school.

The stereotype is somewhat true, but there are many people here who do not drink, nor do they take other drugs. Plus, there are many students here who care about their grades and work hard to maintain them.

For the most part, I think they are. I hear and see drunks every night, regardless where I am. I'm a transfer from OSU in Columbus, and it wasn't this bad, even there- I don't drink, so maybe I'm biased.