Ohio University-Main Campus Top Questions

The stereotype of OU students is completely inaccurate. We have a reputation of being partiers unfocused on our studies. This could not be further from the truth. While a small percentage of the population does party often, most students focus on their academics and extracurriculars more than they focus on going to the bars or to parties.

Sandy

While we do have lots of parties and an extremely large social scene, there are tons of activities to participate in other than those that involve alcohol. I think that the more accurate way to describe our school would be to name it "the #2 most social school in the country." We love each other here and love to be with each other as much as possible, whether it involves alcohol or not. While our Halloween party is looked down upon, Kent State and other colleges have Halloween parties just as big, if not larger... ours has just been around for longer. If Ohio were any less "social," I would not feel as connected to it as I do. I have tons of friends that do not drink that still love OU with all of their hearts. That has to tell you something. As for the Ohio Students, on my first visit to OU before I was a student, I was walking down the street with my mom, with little idea where I was, and just about every student that passed us, male and female, smiled and said hi to us. That is how I knew this place would be my second home. When I visited other colleges (I will not mention names), the students that we passed barely made eye contact with you, nonetheless smiled and said hi to you. The students at OU are so friendly and it was so easy for me to make friends.

Will

NO. Not to the extent that it is reported. Athens is small. All the bars are within a mile of each other. It looks far worse than it is.

Valerie

Of course some people are like that, that's where the steretypes come from. Most people work just as hard as they play - Bobcats just know how to have a good time.

Tracey

Not completely accurate. While their are a lot of parties and bars on campus, you can choose what type of experience you want to have.

Tate

In view yes. when an Amearica sees ethnic African they become infriated

Ohio U is a big party school. Take the good with the bad. If you like to drink, and you are a social person, you will find your scene here. With that said, you will also notice the disgusting behavoir that results from all the idiots that go here and don't know their limit on drinking. There are lots of fights, and plenty of needless vandalism. As far as achademics, it is what you make of it. Smart students do go here, and end up having great sucess later in life. Although many people will say that Ohio State and Miami (OH) have a better reputation, if you try hard in school and get good grades, you will have lots of opportunities as far as jobs.

annie

not necessarily. There are many things to do on campus and partying is available, but not everyone does it. It depends on the person and whether you really want to go out or not. I do not think it is as big of a party school as people think.

Jenny

no

From what I've seen, all of these stereotypes are accurate. I hear people starting to party sometimes on Tuesday nights, usually Wednesdays. I know people that smoke pot and have smelled it various times of the day on different parts of campus. Halloween was also really fun but I didn't see much of what goes on but what I saw was a lot of people and crazy costumes. The programs here are great, from what I've seen(except art, that I hear). People around are very nice. I had no idea where to go the first day of class and I asked someone sitting outside of a building and they smiled and pointed me in the right direction. Also, in my home town, twice I've come in to contact with people who know someone who has gone or is going to OU.

Pat

There are some truths behind these stereotypes because our university does have a very large drinking community.

Elisse

The party's are there, if you want to go, you can, But i don't feel like it is more of a party school than anywhere else. There really isn't that much to do in Athens, and there are plenty of bars, which is where we probably get rep from. Plus the Halloween crazyness.

Rob

I think there are some drinkers on campus, but by in large students here care about community, the environment, social issues, and having good clean fun.

Josh

I would say yes, to a certain extent. However, there are many people who choose not to do that every weekend (or week day).

Tate

It's college, there are parties, that's what kids with too much time and not that many responsibilities do. Kids come here their 1st year and don't have hard classes and do dumb things, it happens at every college. If really want to see a lot of parties, go to a school with more people, more people = more parties, it's common since (I'm looking at you OSU). At least we don't light stuff on fire over a damn football game, win or lose. By the time people are juniors they're calmed down more and have to work on and get done; for the people who can still go out 2 nights during the week, they're wasting the money being here.

Allison

Nope, false.

Ben

for the most part yes but there are a few of us that don't get drunk

Kat

For most, absolutely

Jenna

No, not at all.

No, not everyone here is addicted to parties, however a lot of the people I have met are either really stuck up or "preppy" or live a "bohemian" lifestyle.

Ben

Somewhat yes, the school is a party school, but there are plenty of intelligent people here.

Ryan

I couldn't tell you. OU is the only school I have gone to and I have yet to visit any other schools on the weekends. Every college is going to have parties and people who get drunk every weekend. There are plenty of people here who do not drink though but I cannot say that there is any more or less partying done here than elsewhere.

Hannah

No, I don't think so. It can be a party school, but it truley depends on how you spend your own time. It's not like you have to party to have friends.

Leah

The party school stereotype is more hyped up than is really true, not all the students that go here are total partiers, and the Journalism school may be good but it's not the only reason people go here.

Arushi

No, these aren't acuurate. I'm a minority and I don't feel like there is no one else like me. Yes, the caucasian population is dominant, but there is no shortage of diversity.

Zach

No

Christine

No, while many people do drink, I know a decent amount of people that do not.

Quinn

Nope; I've never been to a party and have found a fairly large group of friends that feel the same way.

Kevin

Yes

Justin

Unfortunately these stereotypes are pretty accurate in describing both the Ohio University and the students that go to school here. Alcohol is a prevalent problem here.

Kat

Well, yes and no. Like OU is a big party school, but there are some of us who don't drink and who don't do drugs. There's more to OU than the party scene.

Brad

No they are not. If you want to drink you can. If you don't you don't have to.

Steven

I wouldn't say that partying is any more or less common at OU than it is on any other college campus. It's just as difficult to get alcohol or here as anywhere else, and in fact many of the party kids here realize that their scholarships depend on their ability to do well. As such, most of the drinking that I've heard about happens only on the weekends. However, I would like to note that I live in a quiet dorm with many other students on scholarship, so I may have a slightly biased view.

Jon

No, because I do not drink

For the most part, yes. But it's not really a bad thing. There are other people here too if you don't fit into those two groups.

Mike

Not really. I mean, a lot of us do drink and party, but we're mostly hard workers.

emily

People do dress up at night, wearing heels that usually get stuck in the bricks of Court Street. People do wear sweats, but definitely not the majority, but that is probably because I'm in all freshmen classes and people are still trying to fit in. People are not from all over; very rarely do you find people from outside of Ohio, and if they are, they are from Pittsburgh or MAYBE Philly. We are a party school, we pregame harder than most schools party, but there is still a lot of work. The school is trying to destroy the party reputation.

Nico

No, I don't drink.

Alena

No. Many students at OU do not drink. OU has one of the top 10 journalism schools in the country, and therefore has many students who are very serious about their studies. Students in other majors are often very studious as well.

Krista

No, not necessarily, we are notorious for being a party school, but every school has out of control parties.

Sydney

I do believe that there is a high account of drinking on this campus, but no everyone participates and there is not a large amount of pressure to drink. There are soooo many bars, but there are many other things to do for fun.

robert

not really

Matt

The stereotype is somewhat true, but there are many people here who do not drink, nor do they take other drugs. Plus, there are many students here who care about their grades and work hard to maintain them.

Monica

I think the party aspect is somewhat true because we have so many fests.

No, there are those that party all the time, but there are also those who don't.

Adam

These sterotypes and wrong. Yes Ohio students can party hard, but a big factor to that is that we study really hard also. After talking to people who have gone to different colleges as well as Ohio they say that our course work is harder than most other schools.

Kevin

I don't drink, and there is still plenty for me to do down here. There are a lot of kids who just want to party and drink and be obnoxious, but I don't think there is any more of that here than at any other school.