Ohio University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Ohio University-Main Campus

I felt that the lack of diversity at Ohio University was the worst thing about the school. It was very difficult for African-American students to get the things that they desired without having to travel to nearby Columbus or Parkersburg, West Virginia. I grew up in a diverse neighborhood and to experience real life segregation was very difficult for me. Though I sought to intergrate as much as possible, it was very difficult due to the fact that not to many blacks were education majors. I would often find myself being the only black in many of my courses.

I consider lack of tables/chairs in the dining halls to be one of the worst aspects. Many people want to go to the same dining hall and have to wait in an extensive line. Some people have even sat on the floor to eat because there weren't any tables or chairs available. There are four dining halls available, as well as grab and go facilities, and a food court. The food court /two of the dining halls are always overcrowded. Better food and updated facilities are two reasons that students tend to go to the same dining halls.

As a junior at Ohio University, I still have the worry of not being able to get in the classes needed for me to graduate on time. Due to the increasing number of interested students in my major, the faculty numbers are low. Also, these classes are only offered during certain quarters, which leads to increasing classroom sizes and less one on one interaction within the classroom. Needless to metion, not all students are able to get into the needed classes, resulting in a later graduation date and more expenses.

Ohio University is many things, but organized is not one of them. I have heard countless stories from friends and classmates detailing how they went to an advisor for academic help only to end up more confused. One friend in particular considered transferring schools after he became so frustrated with the lack of guidance and accountability in regards to his major. In addition, the school is now in the process of moving from quarters to semesters, which I fear will only agitate the problem.

Out of all of the things that Ohio University has to offer, it's hard to say that there's something generally bad about it. The classes encourage students to get involved and speak out. The campus is the perfect size to get around and visit off-campus places with ease of walking at maximum 10-15 minutes. The only thing that could be considered the worst thing is learning to find a balance between academics and social life, but if you really keep focused, it's not hard to find a happy medium.

I love Ohio University and have a hard time coming up with the "worst thing" about it. But if I had to choose something, I'd say I was disappointed in the food that was offered. This sounds funny because there was so much variety, but that was part of my problem. I ended up eating a little of everything every day and got tired of it all pretty quickly. I think we need to go back to cafeteria-style food service where you only have a few choices rather than a full-on banquet at every meal.

The worst thing I consider about Ohio University is its reputation. OU has a rep as being a party school but that is not all that it has to offer. Alot of the times when I tell people I go here I get the response that I must like to drink. Yes OU has a big party scene but any school our size is going to. The majority of the student body is here to get a good education which OU can give them. There is also plenty to do here that does not involve partying or drinking.

The emphasis placed on drinking and heavy partying can be distracting. There were countless times last year when I would be trying to sleep and had to listen to drunken screams and yells in the hallways and outside our window. While there are plenty of activites for students who do not wish to partake in those kind of social activities, those who do go out and drink every night tend to be a distraction to everyone else.

I think the worst thing about my school is the lack of shopping and variety of stores locally. Freshman are not allowed to park on campus so unless they know an upperclassmen or park off campus they are very limited in getting resources outside of Court Street, the markets and the student center. There are not many restaurants withing walking distance and the closest department stores or shopping mall requires a car.

I feel that the worst thing about Ohio University is the lack of a shopping for the students. For example, students would have enjoyed a Target or even a small mall in addition to the local stores offered. I must mention that students are able to make the short treck to Columbus, but must have a car in order to do so. I strongly believe any sort of main stream shopping would have been beneficial.