Ohio University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Ohio University-Main Campus

Ohio University? When I think of that place nostalgia rushes over me like a large, soft, comfy blanket. It may sound lame, but I am in love with the place. I initially attended Miami University in Oxford, OH. What a bad decision on my part. I was miserable. I wasn't myself and I was wandering around doing things without my normal conviction and passion. When I visited OU for the first time I fell in love. The people were great. They were fun and excited about their school, and it didn't matter what group you were involved in on campus. Everyone is a Bobcat. So many people are involved with so many things on campus and throughout the town that it is truly hard to describe Athens as anything but ALIVE. People are so lively and excited about what possibilities are around them. Everyone has a voice in Athens, and they make sure they are heard. With one of the best journalism schools in the country it's hard not to get your voice out there. Over the years I've met with the President several times and discussed with him the possibility of reinstating the Men's track program that was unfairly cut in 2007. It hasn't been reinstated, but with constant persistence from myself and others on campus that run for the Cross Country team we hope all our nagging will make a difference. I am just thankful for the opportunity to nag to THE president. How many other places allow you to set up an open line of communication with the head of your university? Not too many. Athens is all about these kinds of communications, and it is the one thing that really sets it above the rest. It's a blessing and a curse going to Ohio University. Blessing because it's the best school in the nation, and curse because you'll never want to leave. One of my favorite moments was during my first homecoming an alumni was walking through campus with a backpack on. He looked over at me, breathed in a big breath of fresh Athens air through his nostrils, and said, "Ah Athens! Never leave this place kid." I think everyone on campus that knows an alumni has a story very similar to this one. That's rare to find such love for a university.

The best thing about OHIO is the campus. Nowhere else does a place look and feel like what college is supposed to look and feel like. One thing I would change is the communication between the administration and the studets. They are working on it, but it's slow. Ohio University is the perfect balance of big and small. Because the student body makes up 1/2 of the Athens population during the school year, I think it makes the area seem bigger. But during the summers, Athens is the quintessential small town. I think it's perfect. When I tell people I attend Ohio University.... their response? "How 'bout them Buckeyes!?" (thinking to myself- NOOOOOO what the EFF is wrong with you? I said O-H-I-O UNIVERSITY... there's no STATE in there) and I politely respond "oh, no, I'm at OHIO UNIVERSITY, in ATHENS. Yes, college town. See above. The administration could use some work. Again, see above. The biggest controversy on campus, for me, has been the cutting of athletics. Privately for OHIO, I think it was the financial situation Glidden left McDavis. School Pride? What? I guess to some extent. Yes, OZONE supports football and men's basketball, but not women's sports. Yes, if you see someone out in the middle of nowhere sporting an OHIO sweatshirt you automatically identify with them. No, I think while many of the students don't like the image of Ohio University, many of them do not have enough courage to make the change to be truly proud. I think the art community and the farmer's market are two assests to Athens and Ohio University. Both connect the student body and the town. An experience I will always remember: Presenting at the American College of Sports Medicine national conference in Denver my Junior year. It was a fantastic experience. Complaint: 8am classes and hills.

Ohio University offers its students just about everything one could want in a college experience. Although Athens is a pretty small town, it has a culture and experience all its own. The campus is absolutely beautiful; hilly for some variety in the landscape, plenty of gorgeous, tall trees, many trees and plants that blossom into beauties in the spring, lots of grassy areas great for Frisbee, football, or just laying out, old brick buildings, and incredible common areas like the new Baker Center and Ping, the recreational center. OU seems to be the perfect size: big enough that you can meet plenty of new people, but small enough that you'll see familiar faces around town that make you feel at home. I find OU's sense of pride really comforting yet exciting at the same time. For example, literally hundreds of students any given day can be seen wearing an OU T-shirt or hat, which I think says a lot about our opinion of our school. In that way, it's comforting to know that we all share OU as our home. Of course, it's exciting too because it brings out a certain drive and motivation in all of us to ban together under our alma mater. OU is unique in many ways, but it is widely known for being one of the most haunted places in the country. I guess that just goes to show that even the deceased don't ever want to leave this amazing place!

Ohio University is THE college experience. I love this place so much. Athens and the surrounding area is magical, and you can truly feel the energy of the land when you are here. There is nothing comparable to coming back to Athens after being gone for a month or even a weekend - it quickly became my home last year. This is so much so a college town that the population DOUBLES when school is in session. All the brick architecture is aesthetically pleasing and adds a rustic feel to the atmosphere here. It is just small enough to be a comfortable environment, and just large enough to keep you guessing all the time. All of my friends who come down to visit me don't want to leave - there is just something special about the people who reside here in Athens. All my professors have been enthusiastic and friendly. The administration does a lot of questionable things, however I feel that will only get better with time. I definitely believe our party school ranking is very misleading, although both extremes exist here in Athens. We have the most enlightened, spiritual, good-to-do, introspective people in Ohio; as well as some of the most ignorant alcoholic robots America has to offer. However, the good largely outweighs the bad.

When i was growing up I wanted to go to only one school. That one school was The Ohio State University. But near the end of high school I applied to both Ohio State and Ohio University and I am still very glad I did that because it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. OU is a great school with a beautiful campus and a great academic program. The area and the school is also filled with some really great and friendly people. The day I moved in freshman year my parents and I were completely lost; thankfully their were several people to help us out and point us in the right direction. I knew right away that I was going to like going to school here. The school, in my opinion, is not too big or too small. Ohio State is too big, Ohio University is just right. You can get to just about anywhere on campus within 10 minutes. It's a beautiful campus so you will enjoy walking to wherever it is you have to go. As you can tell I really enjoy attending my school. I believe that anyone that comes here will have a great time and make a lot of new friends. This is a school that has a place for everyone and I am truly proud to say that. Go Bobcats!

After just one quarter, Athens, OH has become my home. Ohio University, even though it boasts a student body of over 17,000, feels like my own close community that grows in size and strength every day. When I tell people I attend Ohio University they often give me a dubious glance, as if to ask "Why would you choose that school when Miami and other Ohio schools have a better reputation?" This is the only thing I would change about OU. Certain students at OU have earned the reputation of being partiers, giving the entire school ill repute within the collegiate community. In spite of outside opinions of Ohio University, the town of Athens offers remarkably diverse opportunities for students. On any given night, both the Convo and local coffee shops can be packed with Athens residents and students alike. Sometimes I have trouble deciding what to do because there is always so much happening! Ohio University is one of the best kept non-secrets in Ohio. Nearly everyone knows it exists and can reference its party school reputation. However, OU is truly a great place to grow as a student and as a person if you take the time to look beyond reputation and rumor.

OU is awesome. The campus is large enough to be interesting without being so large as to be overwhelming. Most people confuse it with Ohio State, but after a while you stop caring. That or they've heard of its reputation as a party school, a myth I have been trying to dispel for a while now. The only absolutely crazy time of year is Halloween, which has been tamer in the last few years than ever before. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm building; most of my friends live here and the quiet atmosphere is really good for studying, reading, and just relaxing. However, my friends and I enjoy walking around the campus, particularly on College Green and up and down Court Street. Sometimes, though, if we're just bored, we may walk on the bike path all the way to the Walmart, which is only about 45 minutes. Another thing that never ceases to amaze me about OU is the amount of spirit wear on the campus. It's difficult to go anywhere without seeing someone in an "Ohio" or "Bobcat" shirt.

I love OU! My job on campus is to spend time working with the Alumni Association. If there's one thing I'd have to pick as my favorite about Ohio University, it would absolutely be the sense of tradition and community provided by alumni involvement. Homecoming weekend is filled with people visiting, and I know that when I leave, I'll miss this school as much as they did. With about 25,000 students in a town of 2,500, Athens (the home of OU) is definitely a college-town. This area is defined by the university, and it gives the students the opportunity to grow and flourish in a location that uniquely specific to the OU student's individual and community goals. OU has a great reputation and I love being able to say that this is where I study. I get a lot of respect, and when I meet alumni, they always offer me both congratulations and interesting stories. I could not have picked a better school. I wouldn't change anything about it.

I absolutely adore my school. I love how friendly the citizens of Athens are and how the students interact within the community. The students are always welcoming and friendly to visitors and new students. If I had to change anything about my school, I would change the number of hills I am forced to climb daily. While they add character and beauty to the campus, one's calves definitely get a workout,day in, and day out. I have a lot of pride for my school and I will always remember my the day I moved into my dorm as a freshman. On that day, I met my two new roommates and felt truly independent for the first time in my life; It was both intimidating and liberating. I also met someone that day who is now one of my best friends and I will actually be sharing an apartment with next year. At college, you meet life-long friends, and I knew that day that she and I would be friends for life.

One thing I hear from so many people is that one of the deciding factors for coming to Ohio is its campus. We are the quintessential college town and we have a gorgeous old brick campus. Even the newer buildings are built to match the old ones, so nearly every building is made of brick; it's very charming. We also have brick paths, and the roads uptown are brick, as well. I wish I knew just how many bricks make up this town, it must be astronomical. Every season here is pretty, too, but most especially the fall with all of the surrounding hills covered in trees changing colors. Winter is lovely with snow on the ground, and in spring the trees are covered in blossoms that perfume the air, and summer is hot and very green. Also, OU is just the right size: not too many people that you feel like a number, but big enough that there are always people to meet and stuff going on.