Ohio University-Main Campus Top Questions

I would tell myself that college is not nearly as hard as you might think it is. College is actually a fun thing because what you do in college will actually change you life for the better. I know that high school was not easy because you got distracted by all the loud kids but that will not happen in college. You have alot of potential and its time to show everyone what you can do.

braden

Looking back on my senior year I would say that was one of the best years of high school I ever had, everybody knew me and I was starting to get real popular real fast. But one thing I would tell myself would be to apply to schools earlier get scholarship applications done earlier. Just small things that could've made my transition just a little easier. I loved my senior year of high school but being the first child to go through college can be stressful especially when your parents don't know much about this transition either. They were in the same boat as me and it was stressful for all of us, there are things that I would like to change but the two things I mentioned earlier will change it just enough.

Kylee

If I could go back in time and tell my high school self what I know now, I would tell myself many things. First of all, I would tell myself to get involved in more activities at the school, because they make applictions look much more impressive, which can help you to receive more scholarships. Secondly, I would tell myself to save more of my money that I earned while working for textbooks and tuition. During high school I spent much of my money on things I did not actually need, which could have helped me immensely when starting off my freshmen year. Another thing I would tell myself would to not let anyone take my happiness from me because they are not worth it in the end. Finally, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships than I did. As a senior I did not actually realize the ammount of money it took to pay for a full year of college and I should have taken it more seriously. While I did apply for some scholarships I could have applied for many more and should have taken the whole process way more seriously than I actually did.

I would tell me senior year self to not have too high of expectations. Don't throw the "best friend" label too quickly, and it's okay to feel stuck. You don't have to have a big group of friends, and you don't have to know exactly what you're doing. This is a completely new place, filled with new experiences. Take things slow, and don't expect your freshman year to be the best year of your life. It turns out nice, don't worry, but still. Relax a little. Also, enjoy your senior year a little bit more. It's fantastic you got into Ohio University, but, enjoy your time with your high school friends. You'll miss them a lot more than you think.

Our whole lives we are made to listen to what we are told. My one piece of advice to my former self would be to do the opposite. In my life, I have constantly been doubted and I used to ignore it. In high school, I always pushed myself beyond my limits, putting enormous amounts of stress on myself just to feel success in the end. Although, when I stepped on campus this fall, something changed. Suddenly, I felt as though maybe I could not do everything anymore. I then listened when advisors told me to "take it easy" my first semester, but as I look back, I wish I would have ignored this and stayed true to myself. It is easy for others to simply “relax and get settled” but I need to move, be busy, and follow a tight schedule; things I missed greatly because going into college, I was so nervous that others may be right. So today, I say to my high school senior self: never stop doubting the doubters, you know yourself best.

Michala

Paying for my college education is a huge concern. When I was in high school I didn't totally understand all the financial aid criteria. Now that I'm in my second year of college I understand it a lot better. Had I know in high school what I know now I would have been involved in activities and done things academically that lend themselves to financial aid awards. Academically I would have taken more AP classes to improve my GPA and lighten my course load in college. I would have tried harder to achieve a GPA of 3.0 or better because that seems to be a starting point for many financial aid awards. As far as extra-curricular activities, I would have gotten more involved in community service. There are many financial aid awards that are based solely on community service involvement.

Phalen

Focus. Focus. Focus. Do not be distracted. Being on your own is enjoyable, challenging at times, but overall an absolute blast. BUT, the distractions come in huge waves, and many of those around you will fail out of school, to be blunt. Keep your determination. Know what you're studying is important, and this degree will lead to a better life for yourself and your family down the road. Grades are more important than beers; but relaxing after hard work, and the ability to adequately socialize and network, are invaluable. Find a balance. Manage your time wisely, study hard, and you will be an excellent candidate for jobs, or graduate studies, after graduate.

Many say that high school is the best four years of my life and I fully expected that, especially watching television shows of high schoolers. I would tell myself then, that that is not true and college is the best four years of your life so to keep looking forward to college and high school is not the end of the world. Perspective is huge. The littlest things seemed like the end of the world when in high school, and you grow up and realize it's not the end of the world and there are more important things. Also another big thing that seems so important in high school is your social status. Your social status is literally the least important thing ever. You go to college and it doesn't matter. We're all just students with the same goals overall and it's important to just enjoy your time and make great memories with great people!

Hayley

I would tell myself as a hhighschool senior, to enjoy my time more. I know it probably is not the advice most people would give, but honestly there are so many things I missed out on because of my stress of getting into college. College is the time to stress, the time where you actually have to start acting like an adult. College is where studying in the priority, but in highschool, enjoy youself. I am not saying to not study and do well in your classes, but deffinetly make time for memories as well.

Take more chances. Say yes to everything. Stick with clubs even if the presidents are mean. Don't join a sorority; you're going to waste a ton of money to be around girls who tear you down. Study. Don't take French; take Spanish or something you could actually pass. Roommate issues feel like the end of the world, but they are not. Don't date men who make you feel like crap. He is going to break your heart, so don't be stupid and go back to him. Apply to be an RA, at least for a year. Keep your job. Things blow over. Make friends who share your values. Don't sign leases with people you don't know. Get a burrito once a week; it is good for your health. The 5th floor of the library is the best place to be quiet and think. Going to church makes you feel better, so go. Be involved and committed. Apply for things you think you are underqualified for. Stick to your own convictions. Oh, and the ROTC boys live on East Green.

I would tell myself to take more math, because its really hard in college. I would also tell myself to learn good study habits now, before college. Also not to choose a school based on playing a sport for them. If it dosent feel right, trust your inner voice. and choose a school where you feel comfortable.

Katie, you are dead set on nursing now but are you sure? Maybe you should just take some classes and see how it goes first then declare a major. College is nothing like high school. You dont have homework to cushion your grades so you need to actually study more than an hour or two. It will be worth it when you realize that you're restricted based on your GPA. Also don't stress so much that none of your best friends are going to the same school as you, you will make some of your best friends being the manager of the softball team. On that note, when you start being the manager of the softball team it will seem awful and you will hate it majority of the time but by the end of the season you will realize that it was the greatest decison you have ever made besides choosing to attend Ohio University. It all works out in the end I promise. Enjoy it while you have it.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my highschool self "I know you hate saving your money now, but it will be worth it in the long run". I spent too much money where I could have saved and had that much more to contribute to my education. Some dreams can only come true if you have the money to get you going, but you don't want money to hold you back. I would also tell myself to stop sweating the small stuff and don't care what any of your friends think. JUST DO YOU. The people now won't be as big of a part of your life when you move on to bigger and better things. And lastly I would tell myself to make sure you do follow your dreams and don't be afraid to tell your parents, friends, other loved ones what you want to do. It's your life and you need to make sure it's something you can look back on and not regret doing something that you didn't get to do.

Samuel

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a Senior High school. Knowing what I know about college life and making the transition what advice would I give him? I would tell him to make School more of a priority and not to slack off, to learn something new every day.

Go fishing more. Such an introspective, relaxing hobby holds within itself astounding complexity; seeing your breath dance away in the morning sun, as a realm of impossible realities ripple at your feet. Never knowing with that first cast what awaits you. Hearing the spool-lock disengage, your wrists snap. Silence falls; you watch your jig shatter through the dusk sunlight like broken glass. Apprehension, hope and excitement fly with your hook, hoping to snag some of the wonder you fantasize resides in the mystic portal you’ve cast into. Sound rebounds into your eardrums with the distortion of the mirror and the “thunk” of your bait. It disappears from sight. Diving to worlds you were never meant to see, with eyes that were never meant for sight. You imagine your jig shimmering through the fantastical worlds you’ve conjured up today, and the sirens who watch with curious eyes. Your envious eyes, however, watch from the bank wishing your line will go taught and your rod bow between your hands. Water ripping off the tip of you rod you’re sure now, this is it! Instead your jig pops up at your feet empty. Well there’s always next cast.

I would tell my high school self to stay away from the boys. If I had been more focused on ly stuies and less interested in boys, then I would have completed my education long ago. Although it seems like an eternity, a few more years outside of high school is absolutely worth it. Stay focused. Don't let fun get in the way of future.

You are a social butterfly, so get out there and use it! Don't sit in the dorms and study all weekend. Go have fun even if you're young. College towns are social towns and you should exploit that! Don't wait until senior year, when it's too late.

I would tell myself that I needed to learn better study skills and not to take myself so seriously.

I would tell myself that things are going to be hard at first. You're going to question who you are and what you want to do for a very long time. But stick with the Scripps college and stay in Journalism. I know this is the school for me, and you can make the most of your four years here and don't let anything go to waste. Even something as simple as keeping your dorm room door open can invite new friends. Also, don't trust the first people you meet. Some people do just want to take advantage of you. But, you'll find real friends here and enjoy your time. Just give yourself time to settle in and get used to being so far from home. This is an amazing University, so all the hardship and heartache in the first semester will be worth it if you just hang on.

Ellie

Although it was only a short time ago, I would like to go back in time and give myself advice about how to approach college differently as a freshman. My first year experience was a positive one, however, there are a few things I'd do differently. Despite being a leader in high school, I found myself overwhelmed by the size of my college campus and starting over with new friendships and experiences was intimidating. Therefore, I would tell myself not to rush things--to give it time--new relationships don't happen over night. I would also tell myself to "breakdown" my college experience into smaller ones, seeking clubs and activities that allow me to get to know other students on a more personal level. What I'd also tell myself is that although this won't be an easy experience, I'm going to learn a lot about who I am and what I want in life. Finally, I'd tell myself not to worry when things aren't going perfect all the time. In the words of Anne of Green Gables, "Tomorrow is another day, fresh, with no mistakes in it."

APPLY FOR AS MANY SCHOLARSHIPS AS YOU CAN! They are an absoutle most. I wish I listened to my parents when they told me to in high school.

If it were possible for me to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have quite a few things to say. My first and most important piece of advice would be to take advantage of the scholarship oppurtunities that you are provided with. College is extremely expensive and it is possible to get loans - but it is also possible to search for oppurtunities to relieve yourself of the fact that you will one day have to give back that money and some. Another piece of advice that I would give myself would be to take the ACT and/or SAT seriously, even though you do not want to take it. It is also very important and can be a huge factor for whether or not you get into your dream college and once again - it will help with finding scholarship opportunities. The last and most likely the most helpful piece of advice I could offer myself would be to stop worrying about the change that college is going to bring and take it on with open arms. Embrace the new experiences you will be offered and most importantly the people.

Breonna

I would give the advice to study and make sure you sleep the right amount of time. Always try to study at least 2 hours for each class because it will pay out in the long run. Also make sure you get enough sleep because you dont want to wake up and be tired and not pay attention in class.

Read! I would have encouraged myself to read more often. There is an education in itself when reading a book, a transportation to a whole other place. Sometimes, when reading a book, you can escape your own life, just for a while, and delve into the life of someone else. This provides opportunity for insight into another person's life, a good exercise for all people to do at one point or another in their life. A book, especially biographies, allows one to "walk a mile in someone's shoes" without saying "if it were me, I would have. . .". Reading allows one to dream, to live vicariously, at least for a few hours.

Look into grad schools, and compare the expenses of that to what you're considering paying for undergraduate.

Cora

If I could go back in time and advise my high school self, I would suggest to work harder throughout all of high school rather than towards the end. When I first started high school I was not as focused as I could have been on my school work. If I could give myself advice I would tell myself to work hard, but also enjoy my high school years as much as possible. As long as there were equal amounts of hard work and fun then I would be well off. I did not do poorly in high school but I do believe I could have worked harder. Another piece of advice that I would give myself is to enjoy the time I had with my family. Now being away from home makes me realize how much I took my family for granted without knowing it. I would advise myself to take time out of every day to dedicate myself to my family members and appreciate who I have in my life.

Teaira

I would tell them to be very studious and open minded to those different from you. Not everyone has been around someone of your culture and be open for improvement in life.

Meranda

I would only tell myself to not worry so much about the drama that follows you in what seems to be an extra close way (for living in such a small town). I would let myself know how unimportant some of the biggest problems I felt I had back then, really were. And I would make sure that I would focus more on my scholastic activities and sports rather than friends and horsing around in order to establish a better educational work ethic and also, to better prepare myself for the requirements college classrooms expect from their students. I am nowhere near where I want to end up but, I would hope that my younger self would see me as an improved person and one that is on the right path to a great and accomplished life.

Rosalie

Savor everything about High School. The education thats given to you, the environment, and your classmates. Work hard and really dive into the curriculum your teachers are giving you because it really helps you out in the future. Dont take those AP classes for granted and actually focus on those tests. They're there for a reason and no one likes to repeat taking the same subject over again in college. Your teachers care a lot about you and want you to really succeed in life. Its hard to find that in college, being in 200-300 student classrooms. Become best friends with your teachers and classmates because college is a tough and lonely place. Everyone is fighting for their education and no one will really look back to help you out. Finally, take the time to really research on your future careers because the mistake of taking uncertain classes in college will be really regretful. Life is not a picnic,so I say, savor high school because after graduation, you'll definitely miss everything about it.

If I could go back in time to my senior year, the advice I would give myself would be to start senior year living as I would away at college. I would tell myself to first, get organized, have a cetain place where each item belongs, have a calendar to write on and use it, pick up after myself and get use to doing my own laundry and grocery shopping. I would have encouraged myself to work ahead in my classes and devote more time to my studies because the course load at college is so much more than I ever had in high school. One week in and I called my Mom in tears, "this is so hard, I'm not prepared". Mom replied, then get prepared. You are an adult out on your own now, you made this decision and you have to learn to adapt to it. Once I became organized and learned to manage my time more wisely, I was set and now everyday is a routine and I am happy and I call Mom a lot less!

Mallory

Transitioning into a new chapter in your life is definitely hard. It is important to read inbetween the lines. By this, I mean what is happening around you or to you may not be the big picture. Sometimes things are going to seem rough. It's a new home with new people who you may not click with at first. There is no need to stress. Sometimes a rainbow can come from a rainy day. There is always a reason for what is happening, and it is all worth it in the end.

Trez

When I was in high school I didn’t think much about college. I thought I might travel or get lucky and find a great job without more schooling. I can definitely see now that I should have taken more advice to heart when people tried to explain to me that getting as lucky as I want to be is going to lead to a situation where I my life would be going nowhere and that I had the chance so take it. For some reason I did take it. If I could go back in time I believe the best advice I would give would be to listen to other people’s advice and plan better. Slacking is only temporary unless you are a fool. Look into scholarships immediately, plan where you want to go early and why. Most of all I would say I am currently doing well but you can make it better.

Hunter

Knowing what I know about college life, I would make this suggestion: Find yourself early. Better yet, I would sternly say to myself "Hunter, dont be a psychology major. That's not what you're really interested in, and is simply a sure way to waste a couple of quarters. Also, don't get sucked into the party scene, Hunter. It is huge, and your GPA will end up being fine, but if you apply yourself and don't deliberately make stupid mistakes, you can graduate in the top 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of your class, because that is the kind of potential you have pent up inside you. You are great. Stop being insecure about everything you are, and simply be it. Also, the love of your life is named Sarah Pol. Dont waste time, find her early. Thank you and goodnight." I would say "thank you and goodnight" because I've always thought it sounded cool in my head, and I'm really curious what my voice sounds like saying it in the third person. Having said that, my dialogue is correct. My time here has been amazing, and my last year will surely be the same, but regrets, unfortunately, happen.

I would tell myself to go somewhere closer to home. Knowing now that being 3.5 hours away from home is way too far I would tell myself to pick somewhere much closer. Along with that, I would probably tell myself to take and explore more classes in my freshman year of college to see how I might like another major. Lastly I would let myself know how hard it has been for me to adjust to being away from home and try to prepare myself for the college life.

Geoff

I would tell myself to keep close to the good friends I had then, rather than allowing them to slowly fade away. I would also advise myself to take CCAC classes for the first year to knock out general education requirements and save myeslf some money.

As a high school senior, there is so much advice that I would give myself. First, to take advantage of all the resources you are able to get in high school, such as guidance counselers. There are so many scholarship opportunities that I had no idea about; however, if I had talked to a guidance counseler they could have given me a plethora of resouces for me to find scholarships to apply to. In addition I would give the advise to meet friends that are a few years older that go to your University, especially ones that are in the same major. Getting another perspective scheduling about classes and work loads from a student that has experienced it, instead of just the adviser, can be very helpful. I wish I would have gotten that advise prior to going to college; it definitely would have helped me during scheduling for my first semester. Finally, I would tell myself to enjoy senior year of high school. I was so caught up in thinking about college, that I did not take full advantage of a relaxing and much easier school year that would be eons different than my first year of college!

I think about all of the little things that helped me transform into who I am today. It is true that I loved growing up with the friends and family that I did, but I do think about what I could have changed in the past. I am, however, a firm believer that everything in this world happens for a reason and that every individual has the ability to learn from the mistakes.Would I change a couple of little things? Of course! I would not have worn a cream-colored homecoming dress, had I known that the waitress would drop ketchup on it. I would have made a stronger effort to spend more time with my best friend, had I known that she would move away. The most important thing that I would tell my high school self, would be to take college classes during my senior year. I am one of the hundreds of undergraduate students who are worried about paying off college debt. I realize that if I had taken a few classes in high school, I could have scheduled better in anticipation of graduating a semester earlier. That alone could have saved me $12,500.

As a current college student, I’ve learned the system and its requirements very well. If I could go back in time to my senior year in high school, I would not only tell myself to study harder for the AP exams, but also to start doing a lot of research based on my major and what colleges offer me the best fit. It’s amazing motivated I get when it comes down to doing research based on my future; however, I did not take such advantage during my senior year as much as I would have liked. If I could go back and advice myself, I would definitely ask the teachers themselves. Many times the one who know the most are teachers who’ve experienced it all already, thus asking them for advices on majors and tips to know the system could be of great benefit. I also would’ve told myself to take advantage of the opportunity of more AP courses; apart from being hard, the greatest benefits and college experience comes from them. Lastly, I would’ve advised myself to take greater opportunities of scholarships apart from only applying for financial aid.

Jeannie

I would tell myself to wait for college until you are going to be in one place long enough to complete your degree. I started my first college experience in the state where I lived at the time but then due to family had to move within 6 months of starting. Fortunately that college did allow online classes but I learned through that experience that online classes with a campus that isn't at all accessible can make things very complicated. I ended up discontinuing my education from that school and didn't go back to continue my education until 2 years later in a different state where I was able to go to campus regularly to obtain my associate degree in the Graphic & Web Design field that I have such a passion for. I would also tell myself that there is no reason to stop at an associate degree because I have found in today's market that a bachelor's degree is necessary.

Hanna

My priorities graduating from high school were much different than my now sophomore-college self's ambitions. Like many, I was sick of being cooped up in the cement-block prison they called school for four long years and was looking to hit the party scene. Unfortunately I allowed this mindset to determine where I was going to spend the next four years of my life. Upon arriving to Ohio University, famously the #1 party school in the nation, I had a ball of a time. I was never a slacker by any means, but I did not fully apply myself to my studies as my major truely required. But in the middle of the school year something in me switched. I got bored with my new, shallow friends and began yearning to spend time at the library. So i did, and got a 4.0 that quarter. As i sit here, dreaming of my future in Kent State's Honors Nursing program, I wish I could have told my high school self to imagine what life would be like 6 months from graduation, when the party fades to a dull, boring fad and the future exudes determination and promise.

I would say to myself don’t take anything for granted, do what you have to do so that you can reach your goals. Transitioning into to college is a big step and you might not be ready and that’s ok but it could be your nerves kicking in but all you need to do is relax and don’t overthink things. Everything will fall into place all you need to do is work hard for what you what some things might be easy some might be hard if you believe and go for what you want nothing is impossible. You can make your dreams come true just have faith.

Alanna

If I could give my senior self advice about college, it would be: Don't be nervous and don't procrastinate! Instead of starting college immediately after graduation, I decided to work and kept putting school off. I couldn't decide what I wanted to major in. I should have done my general courses while deciding, but the thought off college gave me anxiety. Now, I am working, going to school and am a single mother and it is so much harder than it would have been 10 years ago. If I could have reassured my high school self and gave myself a little push, I would have my dream career by now. However, I don't regret the path I have taken in life. I am making the best of it and cannot wait to get my nursing degree and go to work helping others!

I scored in the 94th, 96th, and 79th percentiles of the GRE Verbal, Writing, and Quantiative sections, respectively. My SAT scores were far less than that. My 18 year old self had zero confidence and ambition, sans when he was a competitive video game player travelling across the nation. He didn't study for the SAT. He completed his homework and promptly fell asleep during the rest of class. Without a true challenge, he was undermotivated, disinterested, and lethargic. He refused to fail; he didn't care enough to be a winner. It was the lecture he received before his Junior year, I think. The Assistant Principal told those students between the 20th percent and 50th percent of the graduating class that they didn't know what to do with that group of the student body. They weren't geniuses. They weren't morons. They were all going to be Computer Technicians. I would, without a doubt, tell my high school senior self to challenge himself. I would tell him to defeat that incessant boredom that all too often morphs into apathy. I would tell him to ignore what the American education system has deemed to be his destiny.

As a high school senior I was always told how amazing college is and how it would be the best four years of my life. But, no one ever tells you about the hardships of college life. If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself that you will be homesick, you will cry because you feel lonely, you will be stressed out with balancing work and your social life, you will not meet exact replicas of the friends you've had since elementary school, you might not always "fit in", and college life may not be exactly how you've pictured it. But that is okay. It is in these moments, when you are you out of your element, that you really learn about the person you are and only then can you grow into the individual you were meant to be. Not everything is going to go as planned, but it is important to embrace every hardship as an opportunity to reflect on your personal transformation into the person you want to be. College is not always easy, but you can learn more about yourself than you ever imagined.

Lydia

There are a few things that I would tell myself if I could go back in time and give myself advice. I would let me know that living independently is not all about freedom, but also about accepting responsibility for yourself - and that isn't actually as hard as it may seem. School is a great precursor to life - it has structure, you have responsibilities, and you can do what you want within reason. I would also let myself know that everyone at school is looking to make friends, just like you are - and that it is easier than you think it will be. Lastly, I would tell myself that there will be bumps in the road and that I have to learn better tolerance for those that irritate me, and to learn a bit of patience - that those things will be essential in living with someone that you don't know.

Selina

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would let myself know that it is very important to apply for scholarships. I came into college without any scholarships or money at all and realized that was a bad decision. It is extremely hard and stressful to go through college without knowing how to pay for your education and college intuition. I would have also liked to let myself know that if you write all of your assignments in a planner, it will help you to get all of your work done immensly. In high school, I did not have a planner. Now that I'm in college, I have completed 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my work on time because I have written it down in a planner. I would also like to tell myself that college can be stressful. As long as you get enough sleep and study, then you will be fine. It will get stressful but if you manage your time and make daily schedules then that will help. You will miss your family, but it is okay because you're in college to set a lifetime career for youself.

I would take more classes at my local community college my senior year in high school as a PSEO student. That way i could have saved more money with classes and possibly figure out a major. I would have also applied for more scholarships as well.

I would tell myself not to be afraid to open up to people and to explore more that the university has to offer. I am not an outgoing person so it was hard for me to branch out to different people. I would definitely change that and be more active with the university.

Listen kid, these next four years are going to be the time of your life, but it’s that summer in between your Freshman and Sophomore year of college that is going to be the roughest for you. There’s going to be a financial mishap that is going to make you think you can't go back to college. It's not your fault, but it’s going to make you realize how much you need to value your education. You aren’t going to have the luxury of socializing with your friends or going out to dinner as much, but I’m telling you it’s going to pay off. It’s the kids like us who have gone through a lot at home, who deserve to take advantage of these four years and gain as much knowledge as we can. Because after those four years, how many opportunities are you going to get to take classes in Linguistics, Political Science, Art History, or Swahili?! You need to start giving yourself more credit than you do, because you are going to be so proud of yourself when you see how far you have come in four years.

Brandie

hmmm.... what advice would I give to myself? Let's see... I would tell myself not to be so scared on the first day. Be open and willing to talk to random people. And do not be afraid to answer questions in class or talk to the professor or even admitt that you need help. Because classes are hard and everyone needs help at some point in time. Just do not wait too long to get help, get it as soon as you start to not understand. Go to the study sessions they really do help. And when making that choice of where to go. Keep your mind open to other schools. And do not make your descisson soley on cost go to the place that you feel has the best fit for you.