Ohio University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ohio University-Main Campus

Marilyn

Ohio University is home to not just me but every bobcat, no matter what campus you are at. The sense of community and acceptance is beyond remarkable. I could not imagine going to another university. The thought of possibly not being able to return next semester, due to lack of funds, breaks my heart. Home will always be home but Athens Ohio will always be hOUme.

Abigail

My overall opinion of the Ohio University-Main Campus is more than satisfied. I have never met so many genuinely kind people in one place before. My favorite part about this campus is that students can be undeniably who they are, without any judgement whatsoever. With that being said, I cannot be talking about my opinion of Ohio University-Main Campus without mentioning the AMAZING food here. From Courtside pizza, to Big Mama's Burritos, to chicken & waffles and the food trucks, all the way to my personal favorite; Bagel Street Deli. Sadly, my wallet is definitely starting to feel the effect of my constant attendance at the awesome restaurants. I would also like to point out that there are twenty-two bars within a two mile radius on this campus, and that EVERY STUDENT definitely waits until they are twenty-one years of age to even think about stepping foot in one of those twenty-two alcohol-infused establismetnts. (Sike....sorry mom). In my first semester at this unbelievable school, I have found my own independence. I have also made some of my best friends in the short amount of time that I have been here. Ohio University is so much more than just my school, it is my home.

Kelsey

The sense of community and family on campus is incredible

From its picturesque brick paved streets to its excellent academics, Ohio University is the gem of Ohio. While we do have a party reputation, OU can offer so much more to those who seek it. The Career and Leadership Center is an excellent place to get resume and grad school help. The professors often give out home phone numbers and reply to emails with the hour. There has not been much I have been disappointed with while I have been at Ohio.

Isabella

It's a gorgeous campus to start with, I enjoy just walking around between classes. Ohio University has so much to offer socially and academically from the academic clubs, sorority/fraternity life, and different activities offered by classes/professors. I couldn't imagine getting the same amazing college experience anywhere else.

Abby

Ohio University is a great place to go to school. There is always something going on on campus and plenty of events happening in the area. Athens is a beautiful place to live and is full of shops and cafes. The professors are all experts in their fields and really want you to succeed. The campus as amazing opportunities for all students and a wonderful vibe.

fabian

Ohio University has been the greatest thing to happen in my life. The staff here is helpful, enthusiastic, and willing to put your needs over theirs. Many of the students are just the same. I have yet to see a campus that has the resources or looks this campus does.

I have grown up in Athens, and been on campus many times, but being an actual part of the university brings a totally different feel. I love it here, the campus is so beautiful and charming. The professors are great and I always feel that they genuinely care about my success. There are many extracurricular opportunities that are available to students and it truly does give a sense of belonging. I would recommend Ohio University to prospective students.

Sydney

I absolutely love Ohio University. I have always been a huge fan of outdoors activities and this campus is surrounded by everything nature lovers could imagine. The professors are amazing and always respond to my emails within hours. I feel like the professors know their stuff and try hard to make sure their students do not fail. The food is pretty good. I never get bored, as there are many different options even for the most basic meal plan. The residence halls are very nice. I love how even the freshman dorms have sinks if you so choose. The people are very friendly and you can always find something to do when you have free time.

Best Choice I Ever Made

As a junior in college I have reconsidered the whole "college thing" once or twice, maybe even five times, but I have never once reconsidered my decision of attending Ohio University. Throughout the past three years I have been learning lessons in and out of the classroom. OU has excellent professors that I believe have prepared me for my career upon graduation. The atmosphere of OU has taught me lessons about networking, financial responsibility, and life after moving out of my parents house. Ohio University is more than school to me, it is my hOUme.

Zach

Going to OU was the best decision of my life. Every aspect from academic to social has been great. One of the most beautiful campuses in the country and everyone is nice, it is a very accepting place.

Brian

For non-traditional students, OU is abysmal. The area is certainly focused on traditional undergraduates with a penchant for the party scene. The campus is very nice and packs a great deal into a small area without feeling cramped. The buildings are all brick, many have pillars and getting around is very easy. Athens may be a shock to the systems of those that hail from larger cities, but they have a lot packed in here. Housing around the campus is precisely what you'd expect in a party school town, but there are decent accommodations if you're willing to expand you're search radius by a few miles. Be warned that rental prices take full unabashed advantage of supply and demand. If you see a good price, look closer. That price is likely "per person". 2 bedroom apartments charge more "per person" than my mortgage payment on my house in a larger city in Northern Ohio. They know that you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and they profit from it.

Riley

If I could assign Ohio University one singular cliché phrase, it would be "work hard, play hard". It is no secret that Ohio is a party school; the Halloween block party organized by the city of Athens (affectionately known as "HallOUween") is one of the largest in the nation. While there is plenty of drinking and partying to be found, I have met some of the most driven, accomplished young adults at Ohio. With over 500 student organizations, students have plenty of opportunities to work hard and find their passions outside of the classroom. Professors at Ohio want students to learn, and make the effort to be available, even if their class size exceeds 100 students. The university also provides students with many resources to find internship and job openings. I have had a wonderful experience as a Bobcat so far and I cannot wait to see what the rest of my time at Ohio University will bring me.

Shoshana

I'm a 5th year. I know things.

Ophelia

Great school with the most beautiful campus. The student population is diverse with students from all six continents. We love and encourage each other. "Bobcats look out for Bobcats" is our mantra. Just like the military, we leave no one behind. This is engraved in the min of every first year student and has helped build not just a campus but a community. Athens is HOUme!!

Rosie

I love Ohio university main campus. It is rich in culture and there are so many great hiking spots around not to mention the campus is beautiful. It is out in the middle of nowhere, however it is easy to get what you need. Housing is a little expensive but good quality, dining halls are average and expensive. People tend to be extremely liberal on campus and peacefully protest often. There are many clubs and organizations to join with little pressure to join Greek life. There are things the campus can improve on but overall I am having a great experience and have never heard of someone who goes to OU and hates it.

Autumn

Overall, I love Ohio University. I have met so many people from so many walks of life, that have all influenced my life in some way. I have never regretted picking Ohio University once in my entire time here. I have met some of my best friends and made so many lasting relationships.

Cristin

I love it!!! It is a college town and everyone there is super friendly and helpful. There is a group there for everyone and it is easy to make friends in and out of class. The professors and classes actually have an impact in the real world and teach you things that would have never learned other wise.

Hailey

I am currently enrolled to start my freshman year at Ohio University in the fall of 2018. Although I have only been on the campus a total of two times, I adore it. The campus itself is beautiful and the individuals there are fun and polite. From family and friends who are already attending classes here, I have heard many positive remarks and am extremely excited to attend this fall. My overall opinion of the main campus is that it is a great place to be where anyone can make friendships to last them a lifetime.

Katie

I was not really loving it here in the beginning but once I started getting my involved in things and making friends it turned it completely around. I was going to transfer next year but have met some truly amazing people that make the whole experience so much better. I could not imagine going anywhere else.

Elisabeth

I am pleased with my choice of Ohio University. There is an active student body that is always stimulating me in my quest for more knowledge. The friends I have made will stay with me for the remainder of my life. I have also been challenged to pursue a higher level of academic achievement.

Corbin

Ohio University is a great campus. There are a lot of activities for students when they are not attending class and studying. They have some of the best academic support in the country. So if you are struggling there is no need to do poorly. There is always someone there to help you be successful. The community is really friendly towards students and there are opportunities to get involved in all kinds of activities.

Hallie

Ohio University is my hOUme. I absolutely love its beautiful campus. I love the social life on campus. I love the academics and professors. It is a wonderful place to spend a big part of your life. It was my first and last campus visit as an incoming freshman. I fell in love with everything about Ohio University.

Kiersten

It's a large campus with a small feel. The academic opportunity is great, as are the professors.

MaKayla

My overall opinion of the Ohio University-Main Campus is that it is a beautifully stunning campus. It is very rare that you see trash on the ground and it is quickly picked up when it is found. The food is amazing and the students are all polite. OU Athens feels as if all the students know each other and overall we are comfortable around each other. I feel as if I am apart of something bigger here.

Ryan

Ohio University is definitely a party school and kinda of a low drug school. Housing is getting better but picking is horrible and unfair. Food is good depending on which place you go to. Professors are awesome if you choose the right ones and they are passionate to their study.

Mary

Ohio University is like Disney World but for college students. There are so many opportunities presented as well as a great nightlife. The students and faculty make the campus very welcoming to not only visitors but the "townies" as well. No matter your style, you'll fit in here at OU. I could not have chosen a better school to further my education. I am very proud to be a Bobcat!

Chelsie

I enjoy being at OU. The professors are nice, the campus is nice, and the area around it is nice. You can get anything you need and meet a lot of different people. The campus itself is beautiful, the layout is very modern and open. I enjoy to go outside and study and take in the scenery. I live close to OU so I commute and the parking is very easily accessible. I love being enrolled at OU!

clarissa

The campus itself is gorgeous. Everything is within walking distance and pretty easy to get to. Everyone is friendly and always helpful. The teachers really try their hardest to make everyone feel welcome and are available to help most of the time. The overall atmosphere is very pleasant and I would recommend the school to anyone.

judith

Great place to figure out who you are. Campus life is great and the people here definitely make you feel at home. No matter what you're looking for you can find a place to be while you're here. OU makes me a better person and helps me find opportunities.

alix

Ohio University has one of the most beautiful and historic campus in the whole country. It is the first college founded in Ohio, which is very attractive to me. I love areas that have history and stories to them, there's always more you can learn about this campus. I am beyond excited to start here in the fall semester.

Kinley

Ohio University-Athens has become more of a home to me than where I grew up. I'm absolutely positive I made the right choice when choosing my school. I've made lasting relationships and am so thankful for the faculty/staff members who actually care about how well you do. The campus itself is gorgeous and actually won "Best Small Town College" in 2018.

Justin

Ohio University is a beautiful campus located in the hills of Athens, Ohio. The university life is very important to this small town, as the population doubles during the school year. Although the party scene is more than apparent, there are many opportunities for students to get involved that do not involve alcohol. All of the athletic events are free for students (except the club hockey team - $5), the recreation center has many amenities, there are often concerts and performances throughout the school year and a bike trail that goes along the Hocking River. What you put into your academics is what you will get out of it, and the same can be said about your overall experience at Ohio University.

Makayla

Ohio University is an amazing school. Athens is a magical place that can only be explained to those who have experienced it. The campus is beautiful (I think it's actually on a list for most beautiful campuses in America). The professors are friendly, the students are friendly. There are so many opportunities for growth and the Journalism school is very well-known. It is what you make it!

Although Ohio University has a reputation as a "party school", it's so much more than that. I have met some of the friendliest, most helpful people ever on this campus; people genuinely want to see you succeed, whether it's fellow students or your professors. Professors are usually happy to work with students regarding any special needs or issues the student may have. I have only had excellent professors and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Nathan

Like anyplace, Ohio University has its charms as well as its shortcomings. But overall it is a place that you can make your home. People hailing from all walks of life; each with their unique talents, desire, interest, and fears. The one thing that binds my 23,000 classmates and I is our excitement to call Ohio University's campus home. My professed enthusiasm to be attending Ohio University shouldn't be taken to mean that everything is perfect. There are professors that don't care enough in classes that are too large. There are students who bring to campus with them hate and intolerance. There are moments in which I wish I could escape campus. But I can't escape OU because OU is my home.

Katherine

It's amazing. Once a bobcat, always a bobcat. It's a huge family and I love every second. I never want to leave. They have something for everyone. If you don't drink, they have Sober Bobcats and super fun activities. They have an amazing gym and three amazing dining halls. The people are so nice and everyone is always willing to help a fellow bobcat! OU, oh yeah!

Ajiyah

I really like Ohio University. It was my first pick for applying to colleges. It is not too far away from home, and everything is very easy going when trying to meet people, or go somewhere. People are friendly here and they are very inviting. This school is one of the top party schools in America, but I feel like if you have your priorities together then that is just a want and not a need. I personally do not drink or smoke, but if others do that is their choice. That was beginning of freshman year... NOW I am a sophomore, and they need to be more culturally inclusive, and their "diversity" is very lacking.

Sam

Ohio University is a fun, beautiful, and lively campus. There is something there for everyone to love wether that's sports, music, art, writing, or any other club you can think of. We have a saying on campus "Bobcats helping Bobcats" and you really get a sense of that every time you walk on campus. Everyone is so nice and so willing to take you in to the Bobcat family. The academics are top of the line. For instance, the Sport Management program is number 1 in the world, the Journalism program is top 5, and the MIS department is top 15. I also love how sports are a priority there. Ohio university has the best fan attendance in the MAC conference. Football and basketball games are fun for all. It's so easy to call Ohio University home and I wouldn't want to go to school anywhere else.

London

I am going to be a student in the fall and I can truly say that I am extremely excited. Ohio University has showed me that it is the best fit for home away from home. The people I have met are amazing and I can't wait to become closer with them in the fall.

Tyler

good campus, but not much to do, below average in almost every category, facilities are old and outdated, housing is abysmal and hard to live in, little to no focus on academics by students, huge alcohol, drug, and party scene in town and around it, but good class to professor ratios and some people are fighting to change whats wrong with Ohio university

I love it ! It's where I belong. I've meant life long friends and will receive an excellent education! I've joined Greek life and have done many activities that have made me a person person. The campus is beautiful and well maintained. My professors have been very engaged in my classes. I would recommend Ohio University!

Che Hung

I am a current student of the Honors Tutorial College at Ohio University. I love it! It is truly a unique experience in learning and also the social aspects. I never been pushed so hard academically, but the professors are always there to help. I challenge any high achieving student to come to this school for this program. You are able to skip pre-req/gen-ed classes. The learning is therefore extremely accelerated. The only thing I would recommend is to re-brand Ohio University's image. I hate the fact that we get the stigma of being a party school.

I love Ohio University. There is such a family here that is evident the moment you walk on campus. It is beautiful during all seasons and very accomdating in size. There are so many ways to get involved and always someone willing to help with academics. It's the greatest university in the United States.

Josie

The reason I decided to go to Ohio University was because of how beautiful it is. The design of the buildings reflects the 1804 founding date making Athens so different from everywhere else which insists on modernization. Though the buildings look old all of the facilities are constantly being renovated and updated. The campus is small enough to walk everywhere but big enough were you see a new face every day. It’s easy to see a new face every day given an undergraduate size of 22,000 which is big but not compared to neighboring Ohio colleges. The downtown area is also small but there are all kinds of amenities you would need from pharmacies to restaurants, banks and churches. Off campus housing is also close to campus and the houses are gorgeous and unique. There are many on campus housing options also. Most have been renovated and have air-conditioning, but you may be unlucky and live in Dirty South where some rooms lack heating and cooling. At least the rooms are extra-large there. The food is also surprisingly good. With three dining halls all serving something different there are plenty of choices. However, the food does get tiresome after a while. When that happens, there are Ohio University owned restaurants and markets where you can use "flex points" to purchase food. There are many extracurriculars. Anything you could imagine there is a club or a team for it. However, some are highly selective and may be hard to join. Concerning Academics certain programs are better than others. The Math Department is a mess and the Chemistry department isn't much different but other than that the other Departments are very good. Overall, I think Ohio University is a great college. There is no place I would rather attend university. I love everything about Athens.

Seth

My Overall opinion of Ohio University is that is one of the best college towns in the United States. The academics at Ohio University are above average and I would say the thing that sticks out the most is the night life on campus. For a bigger campus there are plenty of things to get involved in.

Mya

I feel like the school would be way better if there places to party at for 18-20 year olds, on campus and off campus. The school's food is decent, it could be better and could use a seasoning rack for all of the dining halls. The professors are decent, as are the classes. The students are accepting and friendly, especially at the parties and clubs. We're known as a party school but that myth has been debunked.

Jordyn

Ohio University has an absolutely beautiful campus, with stunning scenery and an abundance of history to accompany it. Its professors are generally helpful and want to make you succeed, yet are also sometimes difficult and hard to deal with. Moreover I believe that more often than not they have seemed to generally be more so helpful. Ohio University in the past has also been known as a party school, which also continues on into today's day and age. Alcohol and drugs also tend to be a problem, and I believe that it will continue on into the foreseeable future. Additionally, there has been a multitude of rapes that have been reported, which may make people feel unsafe at times.

Alicia

The people are great, the campus is beautiful, the deer are friendly, and so are the teachers. There is no other place I would rather be. In all of my classes I can tell the teachers really care and want me to be successful, and that means a lot. I am reminded every single day that I made the best decision of my life.