Delaware, OH
Ohio Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ohio Wesleyan University

With stats and opinions analyzed individually, this school doesn't seem too spectacular. However, it is a wonderful place to be. The dorms and food are less than desirable, but I have personal relationships with all of my professors, which makes up for it. All of my professors not only care about my success as a student, but as a human.

Landry

Because I was a very shy individual and I did not have the best high school experience, I was very anxious about entering college life. At Ohio Wesleyan, to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. The professors made the transition into university education easier through their enthusiasm in the classroom and accessibility outside of it. Small class sizes and rigorous courses are exactly what I was looking for when I chose my university, and I was not disappointed. The staff is very attentive and helpful when students are in need, especially in the Bursar's office if you have any concerns about finances. The only reason I did not give a 5 start rating is because of Residential life. On campus living is quite expensive and the current head of the department does not very personable. Overall, OWU is a great university and has a welcoming environment with endless opportunities. Completing my freshman year, I have partaken in two honors tutorials, joined the Greek community, and participated in a Spring backpacking trip organized by the school. These are just a few of the things OWU has to offer, and I have experienced so much academic and personal growth from these as well as many more factors. I could not be more happy to see what the rest of my undergraduate career has to offer here.

Abigail

During my first month at Ohio Wesleyan University, I wanted to transfer. I wasn't compatible with my roommate, I didn't feel like a belonged there, and I didn't like the courses that I was taking for the liberal arts requirement. I applied to other schools and my mind was made up on leaving, but I stayed to finish out the semester. As the semester went on, I met more people and became more involved. I slowly started to love it. A wide variety of people have helped me adjust, including my academic adviser, teammates, and professors. I have joined a sorority, religious and political groups, and play on a sports team. When I analyze my feelings towards Ohio Wesleyan University now, I realize that I have so many opportunities to learn about different cultures, different subjects, and different people. The school does their best to help people achieve their goals of studying, traveling, finding jobs and internships, and making the best of their four years. I have met amazing people during my first year and now I cannot imagine myself going to any other school.

Chris

Ohio Wesleyan University without a doubt is the least enjoyable school I know of to date. There is no off campus housing, so frats are where everyone goes on the weekend if no one is headed to the one gross bar that is down the road. The amount of drugs in the frats is ridiculous, which is a great indicator of how seriously the athletes take their sport after doing them. Everyone leaves campus on the weekends to go home or visit friends because there is nothing to do. The academics are fine, but the place feels like a public school packed with a swarm of oddballs. When weighing my options after first semester and trying to figure out a place to transfer, my academic advisor told me he can't help me and I'd have to figure out the process on my own (those were his exact words). I feel like I was lied to by OWU. They claim that their President, Rock Jones, knows everyone on campus and can name a large majority of the students. After three and a half months, I have seen Rock Jones four times on campus and he has said hello once, in response to me greeting him. I know of over 20 kids who are considering leaving this terrible institution and would not recommend it to anyone. There are better liberal arts schools in Ohio.

Alexander

Ohio Wesleyan University is a liberal arts school located in Delaware, Ohio; and as it is to be expected from a town that is not all that large, the campus is not really that big in itself either. While I was slightly skeptical about this at first, I have come to adore the size of this campus, which makes it easy to get around and not miss your classes all two often, plus the residential area and academic areas are literally a five minute walk away from each other. The facilities are top-notch as well, each one being able to provide almost anything a student may need in an academic, health, or social standpoint as well. The academic aspects are what I truly enjoy the most though; the professors keep regular office hours, during which they will more than gladly take any questions you may have about the class, and since each class is of a relatively small size, it is easy to get that one-on-one experience with your professors. The community is absolutely wonderful as well; lots of people know each other and it is very easy to socialize on and off campus as well, and while there are not that many stores around, it is quite easy to get to at least one that will have almost anything you need. If you are intimidated by the overly large campuses and class sizes, Ohio Wesleyan University is definitely a great fit for you.

Maureen

I loved the school. I was a little lost when I arrived and had some academic challenges early on, but the school gave me the opportunity to improve my grades and I became a very serious student. I will always be grateful to Ohio Wesleyan for allowing me to grow intellectually and personally.

Travis

I love OWU. My freshman year has come with learning how to adjust and budget time so I am able to balance my time with studying and relaxing. Everyone is helpful and wants you to succeed and feel welcomed. I feel I have gained insight into what I want to do with my life. By being involved with football and baseball, I have found another family and friends. OWU wants you to succeed not just as a student but as a person. The professors are there for you and I enjoy the attention of being in a small class room.

Mary

Although there is no denying how expensive Ohio Wesleyan is, the school's generosity with merit, leadership, and community service-based scholarships continues to positively surprise me. I love how it is a small school, but this alone does not distinguish it from other private liberal-arts institutions. The difference at Ohio Wesleyan is that the professors actively pursue students' talent and ability in order to bring the best out of them completely reaching their potential. A great majority of the faculty are doctors in their respective fields, and the degree (no pun intended) to which they make their intelligence and information is available to students impresses me more than expected. They give students multiple opportunities to meet for one-on-one assistance, going above and beyond their requirements of the classroom. Although the school's lack of fixed tuition can be very frustrating (the cost of room and board rises at least a little bit each year for all students), if you are a students with exceptional grades and who is outgoing in all you do, I have no doubt that Ohio Wesleyan will fund you to participate in the exceptional education that takes place there.

I don't know about stereotype... but, if you're interested in going Greek, 33% of students on campus are involved with Greek Life, so you'll find plenty of friends. However, there are standards that Ohio Wesleyan's fraternities and sororities are required to meet that are based on academia, student conduct, and more that students must be aware of and live up to. I personally am not involved in Greek Life because I want to limit my exposure to underage drinking, and also going Greek is very expensive. Some friends swear by it though, saying the family and community they gained from it is one of the best things they've done in their college career.

Campus Programming Board and C.L.E.A.R. are organizations on campus that are dedicated to providing students with fun and unique opportunities throughout the year. From spending a weekend night at Sky Zone to having First Lady Michelle Obama herself speak on campus, Ohio Wesleyan has numerous groups who do their best to serve students outside the classroom.

You would feel out of place at Ohio Wesleyan if you are the type of person who prefers to "dance through life." Students are active, engaging, not only accepting but pursuing. I am surrounded by young adults who inspire me because of their dedication and drive to work hard and be outstanding in everything they do. Here at Ohio Wesleyan, you have to earn your degree. The school won't hand it to you.

Ohio Wesleyan's academia is unexpectedly rigorous. I am surprised the school is not more publicized for the prestige of its classes and professors. My favorite classes are the ones that are "led" socratically; that is to say, the students have highly controversial debates and discussions among themselves, initiated by questions posed by the professor. I have found the result to be most rewarding: my beliefs have been challenged and tuned upside down, but I have discovered exactly why I want to defend them. With uniquely insightful readings to help my understanding, the professors have given me the gift of creating my own strong foundation to stand on when I face critical demands. As a side note, professors have inspirational and enjoyable personable relationships with students. I have been fortunate enough to have been treated to dinner by them on several occasions.

Connor

Ohio Wesleyan University is a wonderful place for opportunities, learning, and growth. The professors are some of the best life coaches that I've ever had and classes are engaging and fun. It is very easy to double major at the school no matter how different the fields are. This allows students to not only find a major that will land them a career in the future, but also pursue a second major that they are truly passionate about. While my first major is a STEM major, I allot the remainder of my time and course load to the humanities. In my opinion, this is what makes OWU a perfect example of a liberal arts education. International opportunities are also a wonderful part of OWU's academic atmosphere with programs such as Theory-to-Practice grants, travel learning courses, Spring mission trips, and several other departmental grant options available to students throughout their collegiate careers.

Sashane

My classmates are very friendly and open-minded individuals that all strive towards the same goal, excellence.

You must decide now on what it is you look for in a college and an college experience. Your going to want a fun and educational experience, so think about the setting, graduation rate, retention rate, clubs and organizations available, and campus diversity. There are many elements that make up the "right" college for anyone. When looking at any college, try to evaluate what kind of person your are. Imagine yourself there. When you have decided which college is right for you, try to keep in contact with faculty fellows and alumni of that college. Ask about their experiences there, academics ,student life, and what to expect when you arrive on campus. Stay informed and the transition from high school to college will be a whole lot easier than what I could be otherwise.

Ohio Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.