Ohio Wesleyan University

« See more reviews of Ohio Wesleyan University

The black demographic is fairly segregated from the majority of the white and international students through predominately black initiated organizations which im my opinion serve to divide students, not foster any kind of working academic environment where all can interact and learn from each other. Religion, i do not care fot it, but the school has a wonderful chaplin and a great department that teaches, councils religious matters etc... The students are very understanding for the most part of different cultures and other peoples religious beliefs. there is quite a large wealthy or very wealthy demographic that drive expensive cars and indulge in alot of drug and alcohol use, but many of that make up are also normal hard working students. A conservative, wealthy, city going individual with little exposure to international or modern forms of thought would be out of place. OWU students are from everywhere, 12% international i think, or international and international nomad as we cal it. Many students are politically active and engaged, but most just go about their lives doing whatever makes them happy, and politics dont make anyone happy in my experience.

Student Body: A Melting Pot 1. The student body, in my four years here, has gotten more and more liberal, outspoken, and ethereal. 2. The Campus Crusade for Christ is still going strong as a combative force almost to the liberals... such "bible bangers" are somewhat invasive and very creepy. 3. Prepsters stick together with the lacrosse team, boarding school products, east coasters, and large portion of greeks. Dominate the main floor of the library. Girls rock pearls, pastels, Lily Pulitzer dresses in the spring and argyle in the fall. Sweatpants-clas Ohio/midwestern girls (often jocks) discriminate against east coast girls for getting "too dressed up for class" but the response is usually, "what's the harm in taking pride in one's appearence/having a dress code isn't a crime, slobs!" One of the material/dress code brands that actually brings together the rival populations is Forever 21: affordable but trendy/hip store in Polaris where "skank tanks" and minidresses are the perfect, accessible commodities for weekly bar functions in Delaware.

OWU is a nice school with nice people. Unfortunately, although there is a wide variety of people, most stick with the culture/people they are comfortable with. The campus can be very clique-ish. Certainly I have met a variety of people but you have to make an effort to meet them. You have to be willing to step outside what you know to truly enjoy the diversity of OWU. It is very easy to just stick with the types of people you know and are comfortable with but I think this undermines the great eye-opening experience that college here can be. There is something for everyone at OWU. I have heard people complain about not being able to get people involved in their or their clubs activities but it is not because of a lack of interest. Everyone is already so involved in clubs, sports, music groups, academics, that it is hard for them to find time to participate! No matter what you like, I can pretty guarantee there will be something you can find here to interest you. And in the process you will meet people who will be your friends.

I think that most people that come to OWU come from middle to upperclass families. It is a very expensive school and it just seems to me that most of the students come from well off families. Of course there are some who aren't wealthy and are here on a lot of scholarships but I would expect that many are wealthy. I really don't think too many students feel out of place at OWU. There is a group for everyone and everyone fits in somewhere. There are things to do for anyone and if we don't have it, you can create it. I think that different students do interact. Most international students stick together but everyone is very friendly. I find our student body to be very liberal. Politics are big on campus. We have been and will be doing a lot with the current presidential election. Student's don't really talk about their money or their parents money or how much they will make some day. It is basically known that most come from a good home life and will make something of themself in the future.

OWU has a range of students, ranging from the seemingly mindless social bugs to the brooding and dark emo children; one can find a niche, whatever that niche may be. I am personally dissapointed in the inactivity of the GBLT group on campus, particularly since OWU has a fairly large populace of GBLT members. Another complaint against them is not mentioning other orientation groups such as asexuals who may feel left out. OWU might not have a huge percentage of foreign students in the student body, but they're scattered everywhere and usually very nice and talkative, though everyone seems to group with their comfort zone, and well-mixed groups culturally and racially are sadly uncommon, though this could most likely be said of anywhere. A lot of OWU students seem to hail from Ohio; I know more than a few from northern ohio in particular.

I enjoy being friends/part of groups at OWU that are based on color or sexuality or similar issues. Someone who is very prejudice would feel out of place at OWU. Most students tend to look nice for classes, jeans and a nice shirt. Many different types of students interact because of classes or other activities. One table would be the pakistanis, another would be a sorority, a third would be a fraternity with a few girls, and a forth would be randomly mixed students. Most students at OWU are from ohio, but there are definitely students from all over the world at OWU. It is normally middle class families, with students receiving a lot of financial aid. Students are very politically aware and active of the current elections. We are predominantly democratic. We rarely talk about how much we will earn in the future.

Where are most OWU students from? Well, about half the student population comes from various parts of Ohio. The rest is a mix of U.S. and International students with the latter comprising of about 12%. What kind of student would feel out of place at OWU? A student who disagrees with every little aspect of OWU or a person who is constantly homesick and stays in his/her room. What do most students wear to class? Unlike my high school, OWU is definitely not a fashion show. Some students are preppy and others- not so much. I have seen students in their night clothes with their books running to class. Most of the time, it is non-brand named clothing.

OWU students represent 48 countries and 46 states. We are 10% international, 40% out of state and 50% in-state. For a student body of just around 2000, that is a lot of diversity. We also represent a large portion of multi-cultural students. Religiously we are diverse as well. OWU has it's own chaplan's office and two story chaple that welcomes all the denominations of campus. Clothes-wise, some OWU students where pajamas every day and others wear dress pants and heals. Each student has their own style (the occasional prom dress of ugg boots with tights) but there is not one style that defines the OWU student body.

Actually, students come to class in regular clothes and not pajamas as I was told. Some do, but it's not the majority. I'm probably not the best person to describe any of this because I don't really hang out in groups outside of class. I've hung out with my roommate and her friends--we're all similar in our majors, art/music, and so we get along well. Other than that, I'm by myself and just observe others around me. Without knowing more about them, I can't really say much about who hangs out with who and what they talk about.

I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't be able to be comfortable at OWU. The students I know fully run the gamut in racial, socioeconomic, political, religious, and sexual categories. It opened my eyes to types of people I had never met before, and I'm so glad for that out of classroom experience. Get involved with groups you never thought you would, it will really help you become a more well-rounded person. Step outside of your comfort zone from the beginning and embrace all the opportunities available to you.