Ohio Wesleyan University

« See more reviews of Ohio Wesleyan University

Not at all! I think there is a huge range of students at OWU, not just rich kids for sure. I think there is definitely a party scene at OWU, but it isn't the only thing to do at all. You can always find other options if you want to. And OWU is DEFINITELY not a safety school. The classes are all challenging, and by no means a breeze. You work hard, and the harder you work and the more involved you become, the more you get out of your experience. There are so many things to be a part of, you just have to take advantage of what's there, and people don't always do that. Those are the people who feel negative about their experience, and it's only their own fault.

OWU is no longer directly working with the Methodist church, at least as far as I know. About the only direct association I can find with the Methodist Church is the name. As for the liberal image, yes, OWU does tend have a majority of open-minded. But we really aren't hippies, just very opened-minded. The rich image can be true, certainly most people on campus wear very preppish clothing but because of the excellent scholarship program (which is the only reason I can attend OWU) I have found that the people here are extremely varied, economically.

Yes and No. Not every student from the East Coast is preppy-many in fact assimilate to the Ohio culture/blend in quickly with other central Ohio/Columbus/Cleveland kids. However, many of the Darien/Fairfield county kids along with students who went to prestigious private schools and/or boarding schools bond together, especially with the lacrosse team. In actuality, the bars might be the only OWU force (apart from the Greek community) than can bring both midwesterners and eastcoasters together.

I find we have a large population of east coast students but we also represent a large portion of the mid-west and west coast so number 1 is a no. Number two: a large portion of students do apply to ivy leauge universities but I don't know if I'd call us a dumping ground. We attract a diverse collection of applications so two is also a no.

OWU is not really full of cliques, there is just a large number of student clubs, group, organizations and sports teams that become very close nit, but there is definitely inter-mixing . After all, there are only like 1,900 students. As far as changing lives, we are in a book called "40 Colleges That Change Lives."

The truth is that there may be only 2,000 people at the school but I am no where close to knowing everyone in the school. Because the school is so small, classes are much more rewarding but at the same time are more challenging. Its the difference between being a little fish in a big pond and vice versa.

To some extent yes, most of these people make it a point to let everyone know how liberal they are or that they are from the east coast; If you have any brains, you won't associate with extremists like them and be able to understand and accept other peoples' views and opinions.

I'd say no on both counts. I came to OWU because it was the least preppy of all the schools I visited. As far as academics, our science programs are extremely challenging, and from what I hear, lots of time is required for any program you take.

Two of my roommates last year did not belong in Welch and I have no idea how they got in there in the first place. Other than a few minor glitches, the stereotypes are accurate.

The stereotypes listed above are true because I only know of these truthful stereotypes because thats how I'd stereotype OWU.