Ohio Wesleyan University

« See more reviews of Ohio Wesleyan University

The classes here can be easy or difficult, depending on your major. I have personally chosen a pretty difficult route but I have found the professors accessible when I needed them. They know me and are willing to help, I just had to ask. The professors are great people, and will likely know your name whether you seek them out or not. But I would encourage you to connect with them (which they are happy when you do) because there is so many more ways the professors here will help you (letters or recommendation, career advice, grad school advice, course advice, etc.). Studying is pretty common. You have to at least spend some time with your books. For myself, I spend a lot of time (and my scholarship depends on it). But it depends on what you want out of school. If you want to get A's it is possible but you have to put a lot of work into it. I have a good GPA and still manage to have fun (parties, trips to Columbus, movies, etc) but these events don't happen everyday...maybe only once or twice a week. The education is focused on learning to enjoy what is out there in the world. The college has the education of a liberal arts schools, no surprise there, so be prepared for distribution requirements (foreign language, arts, sciences, humanities, social sciences, etc). Initially, I wasn't a fan of the requirements but the classes I took really opened my eyes to the world. Certainly my courses should give me what I need to go to grad school but my liberal arts education has and still is changing my view of the world.

Professors get to know you if you want them to; most learn your name and actually care about how you do in their courses, though at least a couple seem to care more for their paycheck. A lot of them are great to just talk with as well; they don't treat you like a nobody just because you're an undergrad; they want to hear your ideas and talk, because they care. Some are better about not just lecturing AT a class, but rather getting the class involved through either participation or just being an interesting individual. The academic requirements at OWU can be hard to understand if only because of how the system is set up, but it's really quite simple to get them all covered, as some classes can cover two or sometimes more requirements just by taking the one class. The new math requirement is also depressing, though one can see why it is necessary. The German department is great about encouraging students to participate outside of class, with things like the German table and films and other events; Dr. Kremling in particular shines, going above and beyond what the normal of at least ten professors do. He attends tons of events on top of the classes he teaches, and always has a question to ask in case a speaker is left with an awkwardly silent audience.

I will be a Junior at OWU. After finishing two full years, every one of my professors has known my name. I have enjoyed every class I have been in. Very informational but yet very difficult. One thing I don't care for too much is our mandatory curriculum. For example, I am a politics and government and pre-law double major and I still have to take 3 science classes. That isn't very enjoyable in my book. I think that to be successful at OWU you have to study a ton! Most students who strive to do their best study a lot. Every night there is work to be done and studying to do. In my department, I have gotten to know the PG professors very well. We know each other on a first name basis and it is really nice to know that there is always someone to help you. I have spent time with some professors outside of class. Many enjoy hanging out with us or grabbing dinner. Many professors will go out with students on the weekends to the bars and they come to parties a lot of the time. I think that the education at OWU is what you make it. It is a very had school. You can work very hard and be very successful both for your own sakes and for finding a job or going to a grad program when you graduate.

The key to academic success at OWU: 1. go to class, every class-no excuses. participation counts for everything. studying/cramming for finals at the end won't compensate, no matter what class, for the amount of effort teachers think is visible from continual daily attendance. 2. OFFICE HOURS=critical. letting a teacher know that the time they designate (outside of class) to their students is valuable is something that many students fail to take advantage of and should not! The beauty of a small school is the personal attention. Teachers here appreciate and encourage involvement, whether it be by attending lectures they suggest or meeting with them at the Mean Bean to discuss strategy for better grades. 3. Use draft options and the writing center to improve writing skills/papers/essays. Teachers like seeing that students are using academic resources to the fullest. -intellectual conversations barely happen outside of class...depending upon your group of friends it could vary, however. -requirements=the pits. foreign language and science are the two that seem to drag everyone's gpas down, indefintetly.

Do professors know your name? Not only do professors know your name, most know your attitude and what makes you tick. This helps when you are in office hours or even in class when you have a question you need answered. Your personality may help you get the benefit of the doubt depending on your grade in the class. So it is better to introduce yourself to the professor sooner or later. What's the most unique class you've taken? I would have to say the Power of Maps and GIS. It is in the Geography which happens to be one of my three majors at OWU. The class was easy but it was very interesting to see how maps can actually change or even contort the view of the person by way of a single person. Do OWU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? I have had so many conversations about a little bit of everything. Racial differences, cultural bias, theory about socio-spatial dialectic. You name it and I bet there is an OWU student talking (maybe arguing about the issue) with other individual. I love that aspect of learning at OWU. It CHALLENGES you.

Professors do know your name in every class, which is really nice. My favorite class is spanish because it is interactive, my least favorite is math because you simply do the problems given. Students normally study often, but normally it's about getting the work done. Class participation is common in some classes, but not all. We do have intellectual conversations outside of class which is nice and intriguing. Students are very competitive in class. The most unique class I've taken was Theater 101. I'm thinking of majoring in economics and the professors are very friendly in that department to new comers. Sometimes I do spend time with my professors outside of class, but it depends what professors. I like the requirements because it will make me step out of my comfort zone. The education at OWU is geared towards getting a job and career started once you have graduated.

Ohio Wesleyan's academia is unexpectedly rigorous. I am surprised the school is not more publicized for the prestige of its classes and professors. My favorite classes are the ones that are "led" socratically; that is to say, the students have highly controversial debates and discussions among themselves, initiated by questions posed by the professor. I have found the result to be most rewarding: my beliefs have been challenged and tuned upside down, but I have discovered exactly why I want to defend them. With uniquely insightful readings to help my understanding, the professors have given me the gift of creating my own strong foundation to stand on when I face critical demands. As a side note, professors have inspirational and enjoyable personable relationships with students. I have been fortunate enough to have been treated to dinner by them on several occasions.

OWU is academically oriented. The classes are rigorous. Majority of students come to OWU with one major in mind and end up graduating with two majors and a minor. Our liberal arts curriculum (having to take classes in a variety of subject areas) allows students to discover what their true passions are. Professors definately know your name. All classes are capped at forty because professors teach all the classes at forty. My smallest class was eight. I also find that OWU professors recognize that OWU is just a step on a students path. They want students to do well here, but students don't stop at OWU. They have graduate programs and/or careers waiting for them and classes/professors are geared to helping students find what comes after OWU.

The teachers are amazing! I only had one teacher I didn't like--they were nice as a person, I just didn't care for them as a teacher. I not really sure if the teachers remember my name, but they know my face and know that they know me. Class participation is a must for most classes, but teachers are understanding if you tell them you're not a big talker. I know I like to study, and I study a lot, but I'm not so sure about other students. From my dorm life, there wasn't much studying going on aside from me and my roommate. My major is Studio Art and History (not Art History, there's big difference!) I've had a look at what I need to do to get the double major and it looks tough, but I know I can do it.

Professors at OWU are amazing. I had professors who remembered my name three and four years after I had taken a class with them. They really care about their students, and are always accessible for anything you need. I loved all of my psychology classes a lot. The faculty in that department is phenomenal, and I'm so glad I was able to study with them. I was a music major, and our department is very close knit. There are always students available to help you and the professors are so talented and open to new ideas. I love that I chose a liberal arts school like OWU, because it makes you so well-rounded. I think a liberal arts education is the most valuable thing a student can obtain.