Ohio Wesleyan University

« See more reviews of Ohio Wesleyan University

I think that the most popular teams on campus are the Men's Lax team and the Men's soccer team. Our school is known for both of those teams and students love attending the lax and soccer games. I am on student government. We have meetings once a week and make decisions concerning our student body. We also allocate money to different organizations on campus. We work together to try and make positive changes on campus. I think that most students do leave their door open. In our halls, we are a big family. Everyone is very friendly and willing to talk and to be your friend. I met my bestfriend and now roommate in a class we had together. She is in a sorority and we have become friends with lots of those girls. I have met many other friends from student government and just going to parties and being social.l If I was awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am either intently working on a paper which I procrastinated to get done or talking and laughing with my roommate. Traditions at OWU... THe OWU and Denision Lax game is a big one. Alumni weekend, Homecoming weekend, Mr. OWU, and Miss OWU. I think that partying is a daily occurance at OWU. People party and drink constantly. I think that frats and sororities are important for those who are in them but if you are not involved (like me) it isn't a big deal. I am very good friends with both people in and out of greek life. The last weekend I was at school I studied my butt off because it was finals weeks. On at Saturday night there is a lot you can do that doesn't involve drinking.. there are always dance parties, dinner, playing pool, ping pong, movie nights, cards, corn hole etc. Off campus we go shopping, out to dinner...

There are a wide variety of activities going on at any one time. There are clubs and bars just a short distance away in Columbus. There are also speakers, musical concerts, fraternity parties, or groups activities going on almost every weekend. Emails of these activities are sent out daily. Students just have to take initiative to go to the events. There is also the cute town of Delaware but being a small town, most of these businesses/restaurants close by nine. I met my closest friend at OWU because she was my roommate freshman year. We roomed together sophomore year, and we will be rooming together junior year. In know this doesn't happen to everyone though; I was just lucky. But there is the chance that is could happen. I met the rest of my friends through classes and especially clubs. The girls I found in the Kappa Phi Club (a Christian Women's club, not a sorority here) have been some of my best friends. The girls are all sweet and fun-loving and, like me, have a preference to watch a movie on a Friday night rather than party (although we do sometimes party but seldom). I have also met a variety of friends just through different friends. I have friends from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, India, Ghana, Nepal, and a variety of other places (in the US and the world). I enjoy having such a variety of friends which I doubt I would have been as likely to get to know at a bigger school.

There is ALWAYS something going on at OWU. And, any given night, there are always students burning the midnight oil in the library. My greatest involvement was in Greek Life at OWU. I think that it was one of the most meaningful things I have ever done. It helped me learn to communicate with my peers, and it gave me amazing leadership experience that I know will benefit me throughout the rest of my life. Our Greek Life is very non-stereotypical. All kinds of people are in sororities and fraternities, and there isn't intense competition between houses, so it's really common for best friends to be in different houses. Going through recruitment you can really find a house that you like with girls you can relate to. Or, you can realize that you don't want to do it, but even still you meet a TON of people, so it's a win-win situation. Our Greek Life is really service focused, and there are always a lot of philanthropy events to be involved in, which really helps you keep well rounded. There is partying, but it's no more or less than with any other group on campus, and it definitely isn't the focus.

If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? 9 out of 10 times, I am not. The 10th time, I will be pulling the occasional all-nighter. On a Wednesday however is a different story (social hour central). How important are fraternities/sororities? As much as it pains me to say this, from a general outsiders perspective, fraternities and sororities are being pushed to the side in favor of other options such as Small Living Units (SLUs) and Off-Campus Housing. Currently, 15% of males of our campus is Greek (we lost two last year) and about 30% of the female population. As a member of a fraternity on campus, I hope to see the importance increase as they are different from any other type of living. The experience is life-altering and something I would have regretting if I passed the opportunity by. What traditions/events happen each year? The best traditions President's Ball (a formal for the entire school in December) Midnight Breakfast (faculty and staff serves breakfast to students during Finals week) Certain parties and events especially by Greeks. Homecoming and Alumni Weekend.

The most popular clubs are Student government and Campus Publicity Board. I'm involved with Euro Club and we try and educate people about Europe current and past. When we're inside then yes some people will leave their doors open. Athletics are the most popular, then theater events and then guest speakers, but it all depends on the event. I met my boyfriend at a fraternity I went to with some friends from my waterpolo team. I met my closest friends from the freshmen trip and from water polo and classes and other activities. I'm either studying for a test or talking to a friend. We always have homecoming and theater productions and guest speakers. People normally party on the weekends and sometimes on Wednesdays. Fraternities are more important than sororities but by no means control the social network. The last weekend I was at school I went to a fraternity with my boyfriend and relaxed with some friends. You can go see a movie at the Strand or simply relax with friends. I normally don't go off campus, but if I do then I'll go to a coffee shop, bowling, movie or something like that.

Ultimate frisbee baby. just kidding. There are a hundred differenc clubs, anime, ultimate frisbee, golf, ice hockey, rugbee, sword fighting, chess, asian, rafiki wa afrika... there are alot. Students typically leave there doors open when they feel comfortable with the residents in their hall. Some drunken pieces of shit can definately ruin your open door policy when they are breaking shit and louder than hell on a tuesday though. Athletic events are popular when the sport being played is interresting. Socces is huge at our school, football, not so much. Its hard to find time often when students are studying all day. Dating is whatever, if you are proactive, you will succeed, granted you are not socially inept. Fuck greek life though. I am not a frat argessor or whatever, but the bullshit that goes on, that i have experienced first hand, is just too much. there is alot of greek crap at OWU, but its faliing little by little as people loose control of the houses and they are eventually asked to leave which is what has happened twice in the last year.

For me, social life is renting a movie from our AV center and piling on a couch with friends and eating a pizza we ordered in or catching a show at our drama center. I don't party. I don't go to the fraternities, but we do have parties and we do have fraternities and we do have students that partake in those activities. As far as greek life is concerned, it doesn't rule campus. Only 30% of students participate in greek life and one neat thing about our greek system is, the girls don't live in their soroity houses. They live in the dorms or other housing arrangements. This past year I lived with two of my good friends who also happened to be in a soroity. When you join greek life at OWU you gain a family but you are never separated from the student body. Off campus, there is the city of Delware, Polaris and Easton (shopping centers) and downtown Columbus. I liked to go to hockey games and a variety of performances in the city.

Clubs and organizations are popping up all the time; if you want it, it's here, and if it's not, it's easy to start. We even have a sword club (MARRCA [Medieval and Rennaisance Recreational Combat Association]) which practices primarilly European martial arts from the original texts of the time. I met most of my closest friends through the clubs and organizations; it's the fastest way to get into contact with people that are into what you're into. Speakers come all the time, though most of them have seemed lacklustre, and even when they get a big-wig to come in it feels like everyone is mindlessly cheering for the idiot without really hearing what he's saying, as when the five-star general visited this past spring. A few, though, have been spectacular.

The social life is also very big some nights more than others, mostly because Public Safety breaks up and parties before they get too fun. Students usually leave their dorm room doors open and invite anyone to come in and say hi or hang out. Athletic events usually attract a lot of people especially football even though they suck. There is not a lot to do on campus other than drink on weekends. There is a close by movie theatre and Polaris Mall is close but people usually don't travel that far on weekend nights. On weeknights, a lot of people are usually at the library either hanging out or doing serious work.

I don't have a lot of experience with this part of OWU. As I said, I'm an inside person and a big introvert. I have trouble getting out there to meet people--I don't really mind this fact because I do like to be by myself and I haven't really met anyone whom I'd enjoy hanging out with outside of class. I really just stay on the drom side of the campus and don't really venture out. If I'm not studying, I'm reading (if there's any time to), watching tv, or writing/drawing.