Ohio Wesleyan University Top Questions

Campus Programming Board and C.L.E.A.R. are organizations on campus that are dedicated to providing students with fun and unique opportunities throughout the year. From spending a weekend night at Sky Zone to having First Lady Michelle Obama herself speak on campus, Ohio Wesleyan has numerous groups who do their best to serve students outside the classroom.

Hunter

The most popular clubs are Student government and Campus Publicity Board. I'm involved with Euro Club and we try and educate people about Europe current and past. When we're inside then yes some people will leave their doors open. Athletics are the most popular, then theater events and then guest speakers, but it all depends on the event. I met my boyfriend at a fraternity I went to with some friends from my waterpolo team. I met my closest friends from the freshmen trip and from water polo and classes and other activities. I'm either studying for a test or talking to a friend. We always have homecoming and theater productions and guest speakers. People normally party on the weekends and sometimes on Wednesdays. Fraternities are more important than sororities but by no means control the social network. The last weekend I was at school I went to a fraternity with my boyfriend and relaxed with some friends. You can go see a movie at the Strand or simply relax with friends. I normally don't go off campus, but if I do then I'll go to a coffee shop, bowling, movie or something like that.

There are a wide variety of activities going on at any one time. There are clubs and bars just a short distance away in Columbus. There are also speakers, musical concerts, fraternity parties, or groups activities going on almost every weekend. Emails of these activities are sent out daily. Students just have to take initiative to go to the events. There is also the cute town of Delaware but being a small town, most of these businesses/restaurants close by nine. I met my closest friend at OWU because she was my roommate freshman year. We roomed together sophomore year, and we will be rooming together junior year. In know this doesn't happen to everyone though; I was just lucky. But there is the chance that is could happen. I met the rest of my friends through classes and especially clubs. The girls I found in the Kappa Phi Club (a Christian Women's club, not a sorority here) have been some of my best friends. The girls are all sweet and fun-loving and, like me, have a preference to watch a movie on a Friday night rather than party (although we do sometimes party but seldom). I have also met a variety of friends just through different friends. I have friends from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, India, Ghana, Nepal, and a variety of other places (in the US and the world). I enjoy having such a variety of friends which I doubt I would have been as likely to get to know at a bigger school.

Torry

If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? 9 out of 10 times, I am not. The 10th time, I will be pulling the occasional all-nighter. On a Wednesday however is a different story (social hour central). How important are fraternities/sororities? As much as it pains me to say this, from a general outsiders perspective, fraternities and sororities are being pushed to the side in favor of other options such as Small Living Units (SLUs) and Off-Campus Housing. Currently, 15{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of males of our campus is Greek (we lost two last year) and about 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the female population. As a member of a fraternity on campus, I hope to see the importance increase as they are different from any other type of living. The experience is life-altering and something I would have regretting if I passed the opportunity by. What traditions/events happen each year? The best traditions President's Ball (a formal for the entire school in December) Midnight Breakfast (faculty and staff serves breakfast to students during Finals week) Certain parties and events especially by Greeks. Homecoming and Alumni Weekend.

shitty, we need better bars and better parties, and people who know how to drink

There is ALWAYS something going on at OWU. And, any given night, there are always students burning the midnight oil in the library. My greatest involvement was in Greek Life at OWU. I think that it was one of the most meaningful things I have ever done. It helped me learn to communicate with my peers, and it gave me amazing leadership experience that I know will benefit me throughout the rest of my life. Our Greek Life is very non-stereotypical. All kinds of people are in sororities and fraternities, and there isn't intense competition between houses, so it's really common for best friends to be in different houses. Going through recruitment you can really find a house that you like with girls you can relate to. Or, you can realize that you don't want to do it, but even still you meet a TON of people, so it's a win-win situation. Our Greek Life is really service focused, and there are always a lot of philanthropy events to be involved in, which really helps you keep well rounded. There is partying, but it's no more or less than with any other group on campus, and it definitely isn't the focus.

Abby

There is a club or group for everyone, they are so diverse. Greek life is awesomes, but struggling a little right now. On a Saturday night you can find someone who is doing whatever you want to do, from partying hard core to chilling and watching a movie to studying. Sometimes hard to meet new people, but such a small campus could be to blame.

I'm not really involved in any extracurricular activities yet. I began to do softball, but it's a very time consuming and sports dedicated program. I would have loved to continue, I just didn't have the time for it unfortunately. I lived in stuy this past year and it was great some kids would leave their door open so you could walk right in and meet them. By the end of the year I knew almost everyone living in my wing at stuy.

Peter

great parties, anyone can show up and very receptive guests

My very favorite activity I was in at OWU was the Kappa Phi Club. I had been in many other clubs hoping to find a club that I really fit into and I found it my sophomore year. The Kappa Phi Club is a national club for Christian Women, focused around Service, Worship, and sisterhood. Kappa Phi pretty much changed my life and I am still an active member even though I am now an alumna. I met most of my best friends and mentors through this club. On the weekends, I would normally hang out with some friends watching movies and such or occasionally go to the fraternities to parties that they had.

Greek life is diminishing, but I think there is a chance for an uprising. If greek life isn't for you there are SLU's and other groups that you can. There are a couple of college bars and a couple of townie bars, but no night clubs or anything like that. For the most part lots of places close at 10 pm. However, you are only 20 minutes away from Ohio State University.

I usually end up on SLU street (Rowland Avenue, which houses four Student Living Units) on the weekends, as their parties are more laid-back and less mainstream than the frat parties, which usually just involve a lot of grinding against strangers and nasty beer.

Like I said, OWU has plenty of Extra curricular activities and evening events to keep you busy. Greek Life is about 1/3 of the school, so it is prominent, but so are our themed houses (SLUs), such as the House of Peace and Justice, the Women's House and the Creative Arts House. When we don't study, we usually party or sleep. Our weekends at OWU are Friday - Sunday and Wednesday night.

Ultimate frisbee baby. just kidding. There are a hundred differenc clubs, anime, ultimate frisbee, golf, ice hockey, rugbee, sword fighting, chess, asian, rafiki wa afrika... there are alot. Students typically leave there doors open when they feel comfortable with the residents in their hall. Some drunken pieces of shit can definately ruin your open door policy when they are breaking shit and louder than hell on a tuesday though. Athletic events are popular when the sport being played is interresting. Socces is huge at our school, football, not so much. Its hard to find time often when students are studying all day. Dating is whatever, if you are proactive, you will succeed, granted you are not socially inept. Fuck greek life though. I am not a frat argessor or whatever, but the bullshit that goes on, that i have experienced first hand, is just too much. there is alot of greek crap at OWU, but its faliing little by little as people loose control of the houses and they are eventually asked to leave which is what has happened twice in the last year.

For me, social life is renting a movie from our AV center and piling on a couch with friends and eating a pizza we ordered in or catching a show at our drama center. I don't party. I don't go to the fraternities, but we do have parties and we do have fraternities and we do have students that partake in those activities. As far as greek life is concerned, it doesn't rule campus. Only 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students participate in greek life and one neat thing about our greek system is, the girls don't live in their soroity houses. They live in the dorms or other housing arrangements. This past year I lived with two of my good friends who also happened to be in a soroity. When you join greek life at OWU you gain a family but you are never separated from the student body. Off campus, there is the city of Delware, Polaris and Easton (shopping centers) and downtown Columbus. I liked to go to hockey games and a variety of performances in the city.

The most popular groups on campus are the athletic teams and greek life. I am involved in greek life (Tridelta) and varsity soccer. this allows me to meet a bunch of people especially guys in the frats and gets you involved on campus.

I don't have a lot of experience with this part of OWU. As I said, I'm an inside person and a big introvert. I have trouble getting out there to meet people--I don't really mind this fact because I do like to be by myself and I haven't really met anyone whom I'd enjoy hanging out with outside of class. I really just stay on the drom side of the campus and don't really venture out. If I'm not studying, I'm reading (if there's any time to), watching tv, or writing/drawing.

Becky

There's tons to do on campus, and Delaware is a pretty cute little town if you like antiques. There's some great food venues like Amato's, and a cool bead shop, and Blue Limestone park is a nice place to visit when you don't have any homework.

Britta

Social life can a bit dull if you don't get involved. You have to be a motivated person, or at least it helps a great deal. I have seen too many people leave because they failed to get involved and realize the full potential that OWU has to offer them. Having said that, OWU offers a lot to its students, and if an oppurtunity is not found, then tools needed to make it happen are. As far as meeting people, I have met most of my good friends through classes and living situations. I have also met some great people at various parties on campus. The themed parties at the Frats are the best. But, this is by no means a party school. As a campus we like to go out to the frats, bars, whathave you, but really only on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

Greek life is fairly big at OWU, however they do not recruit heavily. For instance, I have no interest in joining a fraternity and I do not feel pressured into doing so at all. The guys are really cool about it in general. Sororities are the same way (from what I've heard). I live in the Creative Arts House, one of those SLUs that people talk about. The Creative Arts House, aka CAH, includes a lot of artistic and musical people that try to spread creativity to the rest of OWUs campus. SLUs have house projects every semester, and CAH always brings opportunities to OWU students to use their creativity. The front door to CAH is usually open and people are welcome to stop by at any time. Dorms are very similar. You need your student ID card to swipe into the dorm buildings and a room key to get into your room. However, many students leave their room doors open if they are in the room. There isn't too much concern over stealing or anything like that. Students generally respect each other and each other's stuff. Students go to athletic events, guest speakers, and theater performances as they like, which is fairly often. The dating scene? Heh heh, well, I mean that can't be too different from any other college campus. There are many kinds of people who like to date people in different ways and they can pretty much all be found at OWU. There are plenty of short-term relationships and plenty of long-term relationships. There isn't too much stress surrounding the dating scene from what I can tell. I've met some great people in my classes and I've met some great people who lived right across the hall from me when I lived in Welch. There are great people around every corner at OWU. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am probably working on a paper or homework for that Wednesday morning class. But if I'm awake at 2am on a Wednesday, I am possibly partying with friends. I have not participated in this much, but for some reason Wednesday nights have become a sort of party night. Now parties at OWU aren't too crazy in general. For instance, the morning after a big party, there isn't too much to clean up. OWU doesn't have the wildest of parties, but parties do happen and they can be a lot of fun. I think in general, OWU students are pretty responsible, so even the parties don't get to far out of hand. Don't worry non-party-goers. There are plenty of other things to do on campus (and/or off campus) instead of drinking or partying. Sometimes it's just hanging out with friends, but weekends aren't too bad usually. Sometimes, they can be a little slow, but they don't last too long anyways. Gotta get back to work sometime.

Jackie

In some dorm buildings students tend to be social with their doors left open, such as in Stuy, Smith, Thompson, and Bashford. Athletic events on campus do not get as much attention from the students as they deserve, due to being such a small school. Some traditions include the sand and foam parties each year held at Chi Phi.

Renee

The most popular group on campus has to be Circle K. But OWU prides itself on its diverse groups, it's social justice groups in particular.

There are two great literary magazines on campus, one official and one alternative, and the second one is free.

Community service in general is huge at OWU. Almost everyone is involved in a community service organization. Greek life is very important as well. It is not uncommon for one of the fraternities to be having a party or social function. Most of my friends are either in a sorority or fraternity. I was involved in the Buckeye Valley Reads program as a sophomore this year. Buckeye Valley Reads is a program that has OWU students working with third graders to help them improve their reading skills. Students in dorms usually leave their doors open, so it is easy to get to know everyone in your residence hall. Athletic events, guest speakers, theater and music department events are quite common around campus. There is at least one of these going on every week or weekend, so you never know what to expect. No day or weekend is typical. I met most my friends at freshman orientation or through taking classes with them. The Little Brown Jug, a horse racing event is a huge event that occurs in Delaware every year and is very popular for college students on campus.

I think that the most popular teams on campus are the Men's Lax team and the Men's soccer team. Our school is known for both of those teams and students love attending the lax and soccer games. I am on student government. We have meetings once a week and make decisions concerning our student body. We also allocate money to different organizations on campus. We work together to try and make positive changes on campus. I think that most students do leave their door open. In our halls, we are a big family. Everyone is very friendly and willing to talk and to be your friend. I met my bestfriend and now roommate in a class we had together. She is in a sorority and we have become friends with lots of those girls. I have met many other friends from student government and just going to parties and being social.l If I was awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am either intently working on a paper which I procrastinated to get done or talking and laughing with my roommate. Traditions at OWU... THe OWU and Denision Lax game is a big one. Alumni weekend, Homecoming weekend, Mr. OWU, and Miss OWU. I think that partying is a daily occurance at OWU. People party and drink constantly. I think that frats and sororities are important for those who are in them but if you are not involved (like me) it isn't a big deal. I am very good friends with both people in and out of greek life. The last weekend I was at school I studied my butt off because it was finals weeks. On at Saturday night there is a lot you can do that doesn't involve drinking.. there are always dance parties, dinner, playing pool, ping pong, movie nights, cards, corn hole etc. Off campus we go shopping, out to dinner...

Mel

Not much to do at OWU. The availability of food is awful and everything but the bar closes early, including all school buildings and activities. Nothing to do on weekend except go to Columbus.

Liz

Fraternities and sororities are a big deal, but not necessary in order to have a social life. Many of my friends are not in my sorority, and my sisters can all say the same. Joining a sorority was a good networking tool to meet girls, especially those who are not in my year. Sports are also a big deal at OWU. There are groups on campus for students who do not drink, such as CLEAR, that sponsor activities.

One thing I love about OWU is that if you want to join a club that doesn't exist, you can create it. Drum up the support of your fellow students in a few weeks and BAM! you've got a club. Starting in the 2008-2009 school year, all theater performances will be free to students, so check those out! The theater department is very talented and they put on good shows (mostly).

The social life is also very big some nights more than others, mostly because Public Safety breaks up and parties before they get too fun. Students usually leave their dorm room doors open and invite anyone to come in and say hi or hang out. Athletic events usually attract a lot of people especially football even though they suck. There is not a lot to do on campus other than drink on weekends. There is a close by movie theatre and Polaris Mall is close but people usually don't travel that far on weekend nights. On weeknights, a lot of people are usually at the library either hanging out or doing serious work.

Most popular teams: men's and women's lacrosse, men's and women's soccer. Most popular organizations: Tri-Delt, SigEp, Sigma Chi, SAE (even though they are kicked-off). Guest speakers are pretty popular. The dating scene is complicated because there are so many overlaps within a group of friends because of the small student body. People party usually 3 times a week. Monday/Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Isaac

The school is cutting down on fraternity life. People at the school party, but we are running out of places to go.

There are parties every weekend at a fraternity or sorority. Wednesday is also a party day. If I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday it's because I'm working on a paper or project that I procastinated on. On Saturday nights, you can go to the movies at the Strand or have your own movie night with friends in your dorm room. You can go to Easten or Polaris if someone you know has a car. I met my closest friends through my roommate, who's also my friend.

students don't typically leave their doors open, at least on my floor, because ps (public safety) came around and warned us that people could steal things. before that we used to be friendly and leave it open all the time, but i can see where they're coming from. Events on campus are pretty popular. a lot of people usually go to theater productions either because they have a friend in it or they just like theater. i met my closest friends during orientation week. i know it's cheesy and boring (believe me,) but you do get to meet people before classes start and i stuck with them the whole year. if i'm awake at 2am on a tuesday, either i'm studying for a big test the next day or just staying up and watching tv because i feel it Partying ranges from almost every night, sometimes and never. i know a few people in each category. it really your choice as to whether you want to or not. wednesday is usually pretty big for parties, and there is usually stuff going on during the weekend. If you aren't into drinking, there are other things to do. some parties are registered not alcoholic, the babbling bishops (our improv comedy group) put on shows sometimes, or you can just stay in and order a pizza from welch (they deliver to your room!) We always have a "saturday night live" party in my room every saturday and everyone is welcome to come!

Some events go better than others on campus depending on how many people choose to show up. Alot of the student groups put on alot of different things for the students which keeps you busy on weekends. The partys are pretty sweet, sometimes there are alot of choices and other nights you might be on your own. It's hard to explain the social life unless you try it for your self but what i can say is that if your looking for a good time you'll normally find something on campus. At OWU Frats and Soro's play a big role in terms of having different activites and stuff like that. If your not a big fan of the drinking you can still go out and dance, play some video games, some ping pong, there are some options. Maybe not as many as some other schools but some things. I would say that students normally party three days a week, wed, fri, and sat. Sunday is normally a work day since some things get put off to the last minute. To some it all up theres alot to do, maybe not as much as the big city but enough to keep you busy during the school year.

Clubs and organizations are popping up all the time; if you want it, it's here, and if it's not, it's easy to start. We even have a sword club (MARRCA [Medieval and Rennaisance Recreational Combat Association]) which practices primarilly European martial arts from the original texts of the time. I met most of my closest friends through the clubs and organizations; it's the fastest way to get into contact with people that are into what you're into. Speakers come all the time, though most of them have seemed lacklustre, and even when they get a big-wig to come in it feels like everyone is mindlessly cheering for the idiot without really hearing what he's saying, as when the five-star general visited this past spring. A few, though, have been spectacular.

What Do I do off campus?....... Clancey's Backstretch The Hill Off Campus students' house parties OSU Concerts in Columbus/Clevelands Cavs Games Happy Hour at Old Bag of Nails, Nova, Chandra's Vaquero's Margaritias TANNING Movies Shopping at Easton!

OWU has the work hard, play hard mentality. Everyone studys sunday, monday, tuesday, and thrusday while partying to reward ourselves on wednesday, friday and saturday.

The bars in Delaware are a place of interest, and not only for drinking. Many times the bars host events where students play poker, pool, darts, etc against one another for prizes. Also, not all of student life revolves around drinking, many times students simply hang out and watch movies with one another.

Becca

The one negative aspect about OWU is that no one really gets involved in groups around campus, which is unfortunate because they are some really great ones. Such as Campus Programming Board that I am involved in. We bring music acts, comedians, and speakers to campus. Last year we had Josh Blue, comedian from Last Comic Standing, and this past year at our SpringFest we had Gym Class Heroes come but the kids here are more content with getting drunk then making their way to the bar. The students in the dorms usually keep their doors open, it's a really laid back lifestyle and very comforting. If i'm awake on a Tuesday then i'm probably either writing a paper due on Wednesday or with my boyfriend. Fraternities and Sororities are extremely competitive at our school and more than half of the student body is involved in one. On a saturday night you could drive a 20 minutes to Polaris Fashion Place and either go out to eat, shop, or watch a movie with friends.

tina

There is plenty to do as far as clubs on campus. There really isn't anything to do in town. I often go into Columbus with my friends to see plays or go shopping. There is a really nice rock climbing gym on exit 117 off of 71. Drinking is pretty much everywhere--If you don't have a car, that's pretty much all there is to do and its the best way to meet alot of people. If you don't like drinking then OWU has substance free dorms but I highly doubt that they are really substance free. To all you incoming freshmen, If drinking is your kind of thing, then you should probably consider living in stuy.

maria

Greek life is big at OWU, as well as sports and SLUs (Standard Living Units, which are houses with themes like the house of peace and justice, the treehouse, the women's house, etc. ) Soccer games are social events. FreshX is a outdoor trip for freshman before school starts and is great for making lasting friendships. Wednesday Friday and Saturday are party nights. Many parties are hosted by fraternaties, both registered with the school and unregistered.

Stacy

sports are very popular. the party night of the week is wednesday and there's usually something going on in a dorm room or frat house. a lot of people go to the bars, the backstretch and clancey's. clancey's is an 18 and over bar and you get marked with x's if you're under 21. the backstretch is strictly 21 and up. frats are really big, even though they struggle to stay on campus. two have been kicked out in the past five years. there is a group called clear that goes off campus on the weekends to do stuff. the whole campus drinks on wednesdays and the weekends.

Campus security (Public Safety) is corrupt (drink on the job), this is a double edged sword. After first semester, when the freshmen have been tamed, getting in trouble for underage drinking becomes quiet unlikely. Frats are the main social scene for under 21's, that and dorm parties, most of which is at Stuyvesant Hall. School is about 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} greek. Sororities are not that influential overall, but would like to think otherwise. No alcoholic events exist, some can be fairly exciting, but most (80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} +) of students drink on the weeks. Delaware is not the best college town. Few bars and theyre strict and expensive accordingly.

Other then school there are a lot of activities. We have theater, speakers, concerts, fraternities, off campus parties, Frisbee golf, pick up soccer and basketball, and Varsity sports. My group consist of international and American students, we typically have a night of going to the fraternity for a BBQ, then go to the soccer game or the sport of the season and after that we head to an off campus party to meet up with more friends. People party on average two times a week, but Wednesdays are a drinking night if you don't have a class on Thursdays. Fraternities and Sororities aren't as a big deal. It doesn't matter if you join Fraternity or Sorority, they will still hang out with those who are unaffiliated. Off campus I went to concerts and sports games in Columbus, which is a 30 min drive from OWU.

Lucy

OWU is the social life of Delaware, there isnt much else to do in town. Our sports teams are competitive, and draw good crowds. The Most popular to attend are Boys Soccer games, Boys and Girls Basketball games, Boys Lax, Baseball and of course Track and field. Every weekend there are frat. parties or house parties at the slu's (small living units) or student houses such as girl soccer house, or the track house. Dorm get-togethers happen often, and trips to the Bar. Big nights for entertainment are Friday,Saturday and Wednesday. FOr those that dont like to party like myself, its always fun to chill with friends at the downtown coffee shop, of watch movies in the room.

All the sports teams are HUGE here on campus. These are the celebrities of our school, and expect to be treated as such. Because these sports teams are so big, there are ALWAYS parties going on, especially during first semester. Fraternities are the place to party, but they're going extinct pretty quickly. Just this year, two of our fraternities, FIJI and SAE, were shut down, and another was shut down either last year or the year before. There just aren't enough guys interested in pledging anymore!