Ohio Wesleyan University

« See more reviews of Ohio Wesleyan University

My school is nortorious for hardwork, especially in the science and math departments. I am sincerely thankful for all my professors in challenging and strengthening my abilities. I even learned what kind of study technique retains the most memory for me, since I continuously had labs, quizzes, and lab practicals. Because of its small community sized campus, many professors I studied under remembered me throughout my four years and some even longer. With their recommendation, I was able to expand my skills into new territories and even foreign countries. Two years after my graduation, I still seek advise from my undergraduate advisor when making critical internship or graduate school dicisions. Furthermore, not only are the professors stayed valuable in my post-bachelor life, but I also value the various countries represented at my school. Being an international student myself, my parents were equally impressed with the school's efforts in international students. Many of my international friends are now spread cross the globe; if it wasn't for our small community campus, I would have never met any of them. OWU was the toughest four years I lived so far, but also the most valuable experience.

With a plethora of advertisements and economic pressures encouraging students to look at technical schools and pre-professional programs in 'in-demand' fields, it's important not to forget the value of a liberal arts education in the right environment for a given student. Undergraduate music students get into law schools, math majors go to medical schools, english majors end up with careers in IT departments, and computer science majors can go on to make a living writing books or as career politicians. Finding an environment that fits the individual student should be the most important part of choosing a school, rather than specific career preperation. A school should be chosen based on how effectively the student can live and work in the setting it provides. Meeting as many students and professors at the school is a great way to do this, and is especially helpful if it can happen outside of large recruiting events organized by the school, since the cast for these events are often carefully selected by the administration. The image the administration promotes is unlikely to be what the students and faculty create daily, so a decent exploration is crucial.

Finding the right college is all about feeling. The feeling of the campus, teachers, and students one gets as they step onto campus should have a large effect on the choice. I think that while academics are very important - they are the reason why you go to college - it is also just as important to feel comfortable in the place where you will continue your education. A school that has 30,000 students might feel comfortable to one but another might feel that it is an unnavigatable sea of people. I think once the comfort barrier is crossed, the other joys of school will fall into place. The student will feel comfortable with doing things that the school puts on, taking part in clubs, making friends etc. All of that comes with being comfortable at the school of your choice. The final choice however should be the students', not the parents'. The parents should let their child make the choice based on their own feelings and observations. The parents should only give input sparingly and NOT try to make the decision for the student. Afterall, it is the teenage kid that is going to school, not the parents.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give a lot of advice . First, I would tell myself to prepare for the fast-paced life of college by taking more challenging classes. I would consider taking more AP classes so that I may test out of my distribution requirements and spend more time taking classes that are for my major. Then, I would save time and money. I would tell myself to practice new study habits because college studying is not like high school studying. For example, I would suggest organizing my notes into note cards and studying them a little bit every day. This way I would not be left cramming the night before any of my exams. I would most definitely tell myself to get used to coffee because it will eventually replace all other beverages and become my primary method for functioning in the mornings. Most importantly, I would tell myself to apply early for colleges and scholarships. I would also organize a specific plan for how I would pay for tuition, and I would make sure that I don’t pass up any opportunities that could help pay for my education.

I would tell students to visit as many colleges as possible and to find a school where they feel like they truly fit in. I would also say not to go off of what other people that you know have experienced at a school because everyone is different. I would also tell these parents and students to not worry about what the ranking of the school is that they are going to go to because in the end it does not really matter what school you got your undergraduate degree from, it only matters that you have the degree from an accredited institution. Once students arrive on campus I would advise them to join clubs and organizations where they feel like they fit in. Joining these clubs and organizations will help them to feel more like they belong at the school, not feel as homesick, and to have an overall more enjoyable college experience. Lastly I would tell them not to worry if they feel like the workload has become overwhelming and too much to bear because these problems will be over shortly, and that the college experience is fleeting and should be enjoyed to the fullest extent possible.

I really and truly love college, yet I watch friends, very close friends who do not. There are a few commonalities I see amongst those who do not overly enjoy university life. From these experiences, I would confidently argue the two most important pieces of advice to be: keep an open mind and get involved. Try something new! This is your opportunity and you need to make the most of it. There will not be adults pushing you in certain directions, you are truly the creator of your own future and I urge you to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. If you do this while keeping an open mind and trying new things, college will not only be an astoundingly educational few years, but it will be an absolute blast. You will quite possibly look back and know you made it best time in your life. I have often watched too many people shrink back into their shells and not sincerely give it a chance. Of course, it can be scary to put yourself into a brand new environment, but just remember that practically everyone else is showing up that first day not knowing anyone either.

I was apathetic about casting a wide college net and as such, Ohio Wesleyan was the only school I applied to. Now, I've met the love of my life here, so I don't regret attending at all, but there are several things, in hindsight, I wish I'd looked into further. I wish I'd learned more about the quality of residential life. There is one new building here, which the school houses all visitors in, so that they won't be exposed to the travisties that are the old dorms. Explore your campus fully. Ask about all possible scholarship opportunities. Explore all the clubs and on-campus activities. Attend a sampling of classes and meet the staff. Eat the food. Explore the library for private places to study. Explore the surrounding town for entertainment. Make sure the school is the right size for the student. Most importantly, talk to prospective students about the dangers of drinking. One night, I went into the shower before bed, and was forced to listen to some drunks across the room coaching their friend on how to vomit so he that wouldn't die of alcohol poisoning.

Although there is a lot of pressure from the media to choose a high-powered school that will connect you with top scholars and get you a job wherever you want to go, your college decision is about much more than that. I strongly encourage students applying to schools to think about where they would be happiest, instead of where a college could get them in the future. You will make your undergraduate experience; if you work hard, engage others, and step outside of your comfort zone you'll be successful anywhere. It's ok to choose the school that gave you the most money over your top choice, as long as you can see yourself being happy there and comfortable with your decision years later. I chose my school because of the scholarship they gave me, but I fell in love fast and now I can't imagine being anywhere else. Choose a school that has successful faculty in your field who you've met and you know will be engaging and caring; they're the ones who will help you achieve. Overall, as long as you put your best foot forwards, you can be happy anywhere.

Students have the most responsibility when it come to the best college experience. It starts with picking the right college. Visiting college campuses allows you to know what it's like to be a student. Not only staying over night, but going to classes and talking to your host. Ask important questions about the things you care most about. Make sure your grades and test scores give you the flexibility to pick the college you want to attend, not the one that will take you. When you finally know that you have picked the right college, be active. Class is not the only part of college! Find the organizations that interest you most! Try new things and make everything a learning experience. Also, return the favor to prospective students. When you love your school, you will have a great time entertainging those who are experiencing the things that you have gone through. Parents, allow your students the flexibility to choose the school that they want. Also, make sure they make the best of their experience and support them in their decisions.

It's very expensive at this school. There are scholarship opportunities but, as a poor person, I would recommend considering a public university. The perks about coming here are a very active campus in extra curricular activities as well as weekend events. Also, the professors are pretty involved with their students. For financial reasons, I could not study abroad for a semester so my advisor organized a summer for me to backpack through mexico for under 500 dollars. Overall, my college experience at Ohio Wesleyan has been an amazing experience. I am a senior with a 3.0 GPA who is involved in mens rugby, coaches women's rugby, head the big brother/big sister program, student government, intramural basketball, and Black Men of the Future. My point is that a student has the option of doing WHATEVER they desire here while maintaining a good GPA. I definitely recommend coming here if the prospective student is okay with living in a very small town with few places to shop, purchase food and hang out at. Great experience in a tiny town.