Ohio Wesleyan University Top Questions

Sashane

You must decide now on what it is you look for in a college and an college experience. Your going to want a fun and educational experience, so think about the setting, graduation rate, retention rate, clubs and organizations available, and campus diversity. There are many elements that make up the "right" college for anyone. When looking at any college, try to evaluate what kind of person your are. Imagine yourself there. When you have decided which college is right for you, try to keep in contact with faculty fellows and alumni of that college. Ask about their experiences there, academics ,student life, and what to expect when you arrive on campus. Stay informed and the transition from high school to college will be a whole lot easier than what I could be otherwise.

I would tell myself to stay calm through the undergraduate process. I picked a fantastic school that encourages growth and independent learning. I would tell myself to stay confident in my academic abilities. College is difficult but I must persevere and be assidious to achieve my greater career goals. The workload and pressure to achieve will be well worth the struggle in the end. I would tell myself to become involved in the community. This involvement will aid in my personal growth, not just my academic growth. I would remind myself to stay open to new people and new ideas. It is frightening to begin in a new environment but remaining open and positive can make all the difference. I would also remind myself to take the opportunities that present themselves. Every opportunity is a blessing and I should appreciate all the opportunities I receive. College will go by quickly so I should enjoy the time I am there.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition I would tell myself to have more confidence and not be afraid of asking for help. From the very beginning, Chemistry threw me a curve ball. Though I knew this science would not be easy to tackle, I always felt the need to be self sufficient rather than seeking assistance. Over time, I began losing faith in myself, and fearing failure. I convinced myself there was not time within my busy schedule to find help and all along I felt too humbled by the extensive knowledge of my professors and peers. In the end, I went to my chemistry teacher, who ensured me that I was no where near failure and should have come to him sooner. I hired a tutor for a time, but found I was able to reach greater success on my own once I gained confidence. Had I known the extent of my abilities earlier on and trusted myself and my professors I could have achieved even more endeavors. However, my college career now has a brighter future which I am increasing excited to pursue.

I would show myself how to apply for colleges and scholarships, because as a senior, I had no idea what I was doing. I had little to no guidance so I didn't go about preparing for college financially the right way.

Saige

I would tell myself to take classes more seriously, both in high school and in college, because the way you need to study for each is completely different. The transition from studying a couple hours the night before a huge test to studying a couple hours a night every night since the start of class was one that I was not prepared for. I also needed to learn time management. As a senior, I didn't believe that I would have a problem balancing my school work, my sport and my social life but unfortunately, I was sorely mistaken. My high school self was too used to only putting in half the effort necessary in school so when I tried to do the same at university, I quickly had to realize that it was not working to my advantage. I had to learn the hard way how to study and manage my time. My high school self was not ready to put in the effort but my current self is and even though it would have been easier to realize it sooner, I learned much more by going the hard way.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, there is not too much i would tell my self to change. For starters, I would have told my self to take some foreign language classes so I would not have to worry about them in college. Other classes I could have taken would have been some advanced placement classes, at the time my thought was, whats the point, and now I see that those classes could have been a big help to me now. Also looking back, I would have myself fill out more scholarships and grants, instead I spent most of my time working. My senior year I was in COOP so i would leave school and go to work, go back to school for sports, then go to my other job. Although I made a good amount of money, I feel i worked too much as a kid. I would tell my self to take a few days off and have some more fun with friends while I was young. I am still happy with what I did as a senior and I am looking forward to my future.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give a lot of advice . First, I would tell myself to prepare for the fast-paced life of college by taking more challenging classes. I would consider taking more AP classes so that I may test out of my distribution requirements and spend more time taking classes that are for my major. Then, I would save time and money. I would tell myself to practice new study habits because college studying is not like high school studying. For example, I would suggest organizing my notes into note cards and studying them a little bit every day. This way I would not be left cramming the night before any of my exams. I would most definitely tell myself to get used to coffee because it will eventually replace all other beverages and become my primary method for functioning in the mornings. Most importantly, I would tell myself to apply early for colleges and scholarships. I would also organize a specific plan for how I would pay for tuition, and I would make sure that I don’t pass up any opportunities that could help pay for my education.

More than a great education, I have gained life experiences that have shaped my future. Through campus activities and extra work in the classroom I leave OWU ready to follow my dreams. On top of this, because of the community at OWU I have made friends I will keep for life.

Sayako

My school is nortorious for hardwork, especially in the science and math departments. I am sincerely thankful for all my professors in challenging and strengthening my abilities. I even learned what kind of study technique retains the most memory for me, since I continuously had labs, quizzes, and lab practicals. Because of its small community sized campus, many professors I studied under remembered me throughout my four years and some even longer. With their recommendation, I was able to expand my skills into new territories and even foreign countries. Two years after my graduation, I still seek advise from my undergraduate advisor when making critical internship or graduate school dicisions. Furthermore, not only are the professors stayed valuable in my post-bachelor life, but I also value the various countries represented at my school. Being an international student myself, my parents were equally impressed with the school's efforts in international students. Many of my international friends are now spread cross the globe; if it wasn't for our small community campus, I would have never met any of them. OWU was the toughest four years I lived so far, but also the most valuable experience.

Terrance

The experiences I have gotten out of college is that its fun to learn new things. Im not just sitting in a class not raising my hand and not paying attention, but instead im sucking in the new information I learn everyday and try to share it with others as i go on. It's very valuable to me and my career. It's making things easier to understand and comprehend. If I could get all my friends to go to college again I would.

I've discovered so much about myself and my priorities since coming to college. When I came to college, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life and how to get there. Since then, I've changed my goals completely. College constantly makes me think about both myself and what is important to me in life. It challenges me mentally and emotionally. Each class makes me look beyond its materialand actually learn from not only the content, but the medium through which it's taught. I learn about writing good papers and also how to accept and give constructive criticism and learn under a variety of people. If I hadn't come to college, I guarantee that I'd be stuck in a rut that I wouldn't know how to get out of.

Corey

To be honest, I felt I was pretty prepared for college. Most everything that I've encountered I sort of anticipated. I wasn't one of those kids who had this wild perception of college, so I was pretty accurate in my assumptions. One thing I would tell myself back in High School is to have fun. Don't sit couped up in the computer room. Get out and do stuff because most of my 400 graduating classmates, I have not seen since I came to college. I would tell myself not to holdback and enjoy every last moment I have with them. Also, I'd bring back lottery numbers and advise myself on which girls secretly had crushes on me that year. Anyone who says they wouldn't do that is wasting the time machine.

Aubrey

The first thing I would tell myself would be not to worry so much, as a high school senior I was really stressed about coming to OWU, knowing it was closer to home than I would've liked and that the curriculum was going to be harder than that of the schools most of my friends were going to. I would tell myself that everything's going to work out fine, mom's not going to visit every weekend and the classes are hard but they're not going to kill you. Don't be scared of the professors, use them to your advantage. All of the professors that I've met at OWU really truly want you to succeed and genuinely love their jobs. All you have to do is ask them for help and they'll give you all you need and then some. They also have great contacts, most can get you anywhere on a research grant if you're willing to put in the time and effort, and it's definitely worth it. I would definitely say this school was a great choice and you're going to love it here.

Kaylea

I would tell myself to not get sucked into the pressures that are about to come my way. I would tell myself to always remember who I am and to keep my goals in check. I would recommend getting a job on campus to make some extra cash for going out to dinner with roommates or for going to a concert. I would tell myself to not be shy or afraid, just be myself and make friends. I would also tell myself to take classes that I would not normally choose to take, just to get the experience and expand my horizons. Lastly, I would tell myself to never be scared to talk to my professors when I needed guidance or had questions because they are only there to help and want me to succeed.

Melinda

I really and truly love college, yet I watch friends, very close friends who do not. There are a few commonalities I see amongst those who do not overly enjoy university life. From these experiences, I would confidently argue the two most important pieces of advice to be: keep an open mind and get involved. Try something new! This is your opportunity and you need to make the most of it. There will not be adults pushing you in certain directions, you are truly the creator of your own future and I urge you to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. If you do this while keeping an open mind and trying new things, college will not only be an astoundingly educational few years, but it will be an absolute blast. You will quite possibly look back and know you made it best time in your life. I have often watched too many people shrink back into their shells and not sincerely give it a chance. Of course, it can be scary to put yourself into a brand new environment, but just remember that practically everyone else is showing up that first day not knowing anyone either.

To work extremely hard freshman year so that you are not trying to catch up the rest of the four years.

Amit

I would tell my past self, that college has a lot to offer and that you are in control as to how challenging you want your college years to be. It is not necessary that college is going to be harder than high school, but will definitely entail a lot of effort on your part to make a good transition into college life. The most challenging part for me during the transition was getting myself to spend sufficient time on classes. College has many opportunities; you cannot possibly go for all of them. I found that prioritizing my task helped me a lot to get what I wanted to accomplish without being in too many different areas at the same time. My last advice would be that, try to diversify yourself in college, both in studies and extracurricular activities.

Steve

Not to worry, you won't screw up college like you did in high school. College will give you the freedom to follow your dreams.

The hardest part for me transitioning into college was the social life. I was fully aware of the academic vigor, but was not ready for the social challenges I was about to face. I would tell myself to always be true to myself, no matter what. There is so much pressure to drink alcohol and party, and I would want to go back in time and prepare myself for these pressures. I would tell myself to have a support system. people to talk to when I got frustrated and not keep it all bottled inside. I would tell myself to not let temptation get in the way of my future and my goals. And I would tell myself not to worry so much, that college is going to be a time of extraordinary growth, and that everything will turn out exactly how it is supposed to.

Start early! If you wait too long to start the college search, it can cause unnecessary stress. Take time to go visit the schools, and if possible sit in at a class or two. If you can, stay overnight in a dorm to get a feel for what the school is really like. Make sure to find a school that really fits you and what you want to do. Try not to worry too much about going to a big-name school just for bragging rights, just go where you feel comfortable. Once you enroll in a school, I would suggest searching to see if there are any orientation or pre-orientation activities for incoming students. This makes it really easy to meet people and make friends. The most imortant advice, I think, is just to be yourself and do what feels right.

Sally

No single college is going to be the perfect college for you as a freshmen. The best way to find the "right" college for you is realize that you will change, and you will change your major at least once, no matter how steadfast you are going into college. Finding the right college will be easier when you take into account which college will be fitting if/when you do change majors, decide to live off-campus, decide to get involved and partake in more than just study groups, etc. As for making the most of your college experiences, it's always a great idea to keep and open-minded. Don't take yourself completely out of your comfort-zone, but at least push the limits. You'll be thankful you did in the long-run.

Don't be set on one school, and visit all the schools that you are accepted to. You may not get your first choice school, or maybe you will find that your first choice wasn't the right fit for you. Go where ever you feel comfortable, it is four years! And those four years can either be great, or they can be miserable.

Jimmy

Visit the campus, decide what kind of environment you want to learn in. Also, does the college offer the opportunities you are interested in and have there been graduates that have succeeded in the path you would like to take?

Go to where it feels right for you. Don't go just because they have an awesome program or are top ranked. Though those are important, it's more important to go someplace you mesh well. If you don't like the place you're in, it doesn't matter how good the program is. Your mental health and grades will suffer. College is to learn and get a job, but it should also be enjoyable. If it's not enjoyable, something has gone wrong. And don't be afraid to get help when you need it.

Louisa

Parents need to be mentors in helping their child choose the right school for them. The parents should have some influence, but should not be too overwhelming in making the decision for the college, such as pushing for one school over another, or basing a choice off of cost alone. You will always find ways to pay for tuition. Students, the best advice I would ever have on picking a school is: it's never too early to start looking! I started looking my freshman year of high school, and through all my research, I basically knew I was going to Ohio Wesleyan University by my junior year. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you go on tours of different schools, and choose wherever feels best. One school might look better, but the place for you is where it feels most like home.

Beth

Search hard for funding, it's out there. Get away from home, you'll appreciate it much more when you go back.

Going on college tours and get a feel for the campus before choosing. Explore all your options before deciding.

Casandra

Make sure that it is the best fit for YOU and no one else.

Be yourself and allow time for fun. Without time to relax, students will "burn out" easily.

For parents, I advise them to allow their children to have a say in what university they attend. Although parents may feel like they know whats best for their child, the students have an idea about what kind of school would best suit their learning abilities. I f parents are concerned about campus safety and the like then go with your child to the school they want to visit in order to have a better sense of where your child will be spending their time. For students, I suggest doing some research about what you think you would like in a university before visiting a campus. Most campuses are attractive looking but may not have what you need. Otherwise, when you get there don't be afraid to try different clubs that fulfill your needs; this way you'll be able to meet poeple with similar interests and will make lifelong friends from the beginning.

Kim

Don't worry about money. Go where it feels right. You'll know it when you get there.

College will be a wonderful experience no matter where you end up if you go in and seek out opportunities. Unlike high school, you are independent and have to take initative to get the things you want. My advice on deciding on a college is to go to the best academic school you are accepted to but that also gives you the most scholarship/financial aid. If you get into an Ivy league with no scholarship and a small liberal arts school with a large one, pick the latter. The name on your undergraduate degree means nothing, but the experiences and accomplishments you have to show for your time there will be what gets you the job or into the graduate school of your choice. There is no reason to graduate college in debt when you can get a great education at most schools. If you do well enough in your ungraduate college, you can go to an Ivy league school for your doctoral degree for free! At least that's what happened to me and its the best decision I've made so far!

Visit. Visit, visit, visit. Websites, testimonials, and brochures are only words,.In order to know the place for you, you need to truly feel the atmosphere. If you can, pack a suitcase and explore your potential schools. When you are at the right place for you, you'll know it without a doubt. Once you've found your match, even if it's absolutely the right fit academically and socially, odds are over the course of four years you will get tired. School work will pile up, social life will go through rough patches, and you will wonder if it's worth it at all. The very best advice I can give is: Don't take it for granted. That stress, those feelings, and the occassional fear of the future are all real. But I can promise you, you will miss it when it's over. If you can enjoy it while you're living through it, even if things don't go perfectly, you won't regret a single moment.

Adelino

When you visit the school ask as many questions as possible. Find out from several of the students how they feel about the school as a whole.

Audrey

don't be affraid to look for off campus housing. stick with your gut feeling about a school.

To visit all the schools in person or via webcams, and pick which one best suits you and your needs.

JEnnifer

Visit each college if you can and trust your instincts. If a college feels "right" or "wrong" it probably is.

Susan

I would advise parents and student to visit the college, talk to professors, and have an idea about what direction the student wants to pursue. Attending a mainly science-oriented college when the student is more interested in theater will not satisfy the student the way a theater-oriented college would. Although one can't be entierly sure what direction to pursue, a good idea helps to suit the college to the student.

I would suggest that the student visits the school and does an over night visit. By doing an over night visit and attending class the student will get a feel for what college life is like at the university and will give the student and idea of what professors are like. I would tell the students to meet with their professors and use the academic tutoring and acedemic centers as a tool throughout their career. I would also suggest that the student makes friends with as many different people as possible because you not only learn from your professors but from others students as well. I would suggest that the parents let the student choose where he or she wants to go. There is nothing harder for a student than to have their parents telling them where they should go or what they should major in. It is the childs life and parents should be there to support their choices and give them hekpful advice along the way.

Go to fastweb.com. That website lets you pick criteria for the college you're looking for, including location, size of campus, states, major, etc. It's fantastic. The website also help you find scholarships for school, which is great. Definitely check it out. Also, for students, listen to your gut; it typically leads you in the right direction. Make sure to check the social life; if you're not into partying and drinking, find a school where that's minimal or just don't get out on the weekends. Students, make friends will with your roommates, maybe not best friends but be friendly enough so you don't kill each other. Remember, it's a give and take when you give with other people.

With a plethora of advertisements and economic pressures encouraging students to look at technical schools and pre-professional programs in 'in-demand' fields, it's important not to forget the value of a liberal arts education in the right environment for a given student. Undergraduate music students get into law schools, math majors go to medical schools, english majors end up with careers in IT departments, and computer science majors can go on to make a living writing books or as career politicians. Finding an environment that fits the individual student should be the most important part of choosing a school, rather than specific career preperation. A school should be chosen based on how effectively the student can live and work in the setting it provides. Meeting as many students and professors at the school is a great way to do this, and is especially helpful if it can happen outside of large recruiting events organized by the school, since the cast for these events are often carefully selected by the administration. The image the administration promotes is unlikely to be what the students and faculty create daily, so a decent exploration is crucial.

Adrienne

If you think you're interested in a particular school, you must go visit the campus. Even in the school has the best academic program in the country, if you don't feel at home on the campus, it isn't going to be worth it. Sit in on a class and see if you'll be receiving the individual attention you would like. Make sure that you're ready to live in a small town or a big town, because where ever you chose, you're going to be there for four years, and four years is a really long time to be miserable. Talk to students during your visit and see how they like the school. Once you choose the right school, it's all about doing what you love and not feeling bad about who you really are. College doesn't have cliques like high school, so do the things you care about and you're sure to make lots of friends.

Look for a college with good academics, but academics can not be the only reason to go to a certain college or university. For your college life to be successful, you must put yourself in a great environment that enables you to reach the maximum college experience. The college experienece allows you to grow as a person as well as a student. If the envirnment is fun to you, the learning and studying process will come much easier. Also, don't just look for a school that has the best dormatories, class rooms, etc. The chances you live in the dormatories for more than one to two years are small. If you go to the college with the nicest facilities, you are going there for the wrong reasons. The people around you create the college.

Jane

I recommend evaluating both your academic, as well as social priorities when trying to choose the school of your choice. I also recommend entering the school with an open minf because you may encounter others with different views besides your own and even if you disagree, you should still be polite and accepting. You should also realize that even if the reality of the school doesn't actually match your prior expectations of it, you should still remain positive so your school experience will turn out positive.

Go with your gut.

One that suits your personality. But it's always good to go to a place that you haven't experienced before. If you're from a big city try a smaller school and vice versa. Always get involved in student activities and associations. Try to find a study abroad program at your school. And don't worry if you don't know what you want to do, my college helped me figure that out.

I was apathetic about casting a wide college net and as such, Ohio Wesleyan was the only school I applied to. Now, I've met the love of my life here, so I don't regret attending at all, but there are several things, in hindsight, I wish I'd looked into further. I wish I'd learned more about the quality of residential life. There is one new building here, which the school houses all visitors in, so that they won't be exposed to the travisties that are the old dorms. Explore your campus fully. Ask about all possible scholarship opportunities. Explore all the clubs and on-campus activities. Attend a sampling of classes and meet the staff. Eat the food. Explore the library for private places to study. Explore the surrounding town for entertainment. Make sure the school is the right size for the student. Most importantly, talk to prospective students about the dangers of drinking. One night, I went into the shower before bed, and was forced to listen to some drunks across the room coaching their friend on how to vomit so he that wouldn't die of alcohol poisoning.

This is a great college if you enjoy and function well in small a small school. The give pretty good scholerships..

Kaylie

it is very important that a child looks at different types of colleges to apply to. you might have an idea in your head of the only kinds you like, but actually visiting the schools can change your mind. make sure parents ask questions about finacial aids, living areas, what kinds of sctivites most students take part in. if the school is deserted on weekends or busy. make sure parents you look to see what is around the school. if the school is in the middle of no where is your child going to be happy there even if they get money to go there. make sure parents and children are talking openly to each other about what they want out of college, what degree and where the school is from home. neither the child or parent has all the answers so it is important to listen to both sides and make sure you have all the information before deciding. you can never ask a college to many questions.

Just listen to your gut and not to anyone else. It's your education and you have to feel right about what school you choose. No school is going to be perfect, but that's just life. College is great no matter where you go. Make the best of it and your life will change for the better.