Ohio Wesleyan University Top Questions

Mary

Campus Programming Board and C.L.E.A.R. are organizations on campus that are dedicated to providing students with fun and unique opportunities throughout the year. From spending a weekend night at Sky Zone to having First Lady Michelle Obama herself speak on campus, Ohio Wesleyan has numerous groups who do their best to serve students outside the classroom.

Hunter

The most popular clubs are Student government and Campus Publicity Board. I'm involved with Euro Club and we try and educate people about Europe current and past. When we're inside then yes some people will leave their doors open. Athletics are the most popular, then theater events and then guest speakers, but it all depends on the event. I met my boyfriend at a fraternity I went to with some friends from my waterpolo team. I met my closest friends from the freshmen trip and from water polo and classes and other activities. I'm either studying for a test or talking to a friend. We always have homecoming and theater productions and guest speakers. People normally party on the weekends and sometimes on Wednesdays. Fraternities are more important than sororities but by no means control the social network. The last weekend I was at school I went to a fraternity with my boyfriend and relaxed with some friends. You can go see a movie at the Strand or simply relax with friends. I normally don't go off campus, but if I do then I'll go to a coffee shop, bowling, movie or something like that.

Charlie

There are a wide variety of activities going on at any one time. There are clubs and bars just a short distance away in Columbus. There are also speakers, musical concerts, fraternity parties, or groups activities going on almost every weekend. Emails of these activities are sent out daily. Students just have to take initiative to go to the events. There is also the cute town of Delaware but being a small town, most of these businesses/restaurants close by nine. I met my closest friend at OWU because she was my roommate freshman year. We roomed together sophomore year, and we will be rooming together junior year. In know this doesn't happen to everyone though; I was just lucky. But there is the chance that is could happen. I met the rest of my friends through classes and especially clubs. The girls I found in the Kappa Phi Club (a Christian Women's club, not a sorority here) have been some of my best friends. The girls are all sweet and fun-loving and, like me, have a preference to watch a movie on a Friday night rather than party (although we do sometimes party but seldom). I have also met a variety of friends just through different friends. I have friends from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, India, Ghana, Nepal, and a variety of other places (in the US and the world). I enjoy having such a variety of friends which I doubt I would have been as likely to get to know at a bigger school.

Torry

If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? 9 out of 10 times, I am not. The 10th time, I will be pulling the occasional all-nighter. On a Wednesday however is a different story (social hour central). How important are fraternities/sororities? As much as it pains me to say this, from a general outsiders perspective, fraternities and sororities are being pushed to the side in favor of other options such as Small Living Units (SLUs) and Off-Campus Housing. Currently, 15{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of males of our campus is Greek (we lost two last year) and about 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the female population. As a member of a fraternity on campus, I hope to see the importance increase as they are different from any other type of living. The experience is life-altering and something I would have regretting if I passed the opportunity by. What traditions/events happen each year? The best traditions President's Ball (a formal for the entire school in December) Midnight Breakfast (faculty and staff serves breakfast to students during Finals week) Certain parties and events especially by Greeks. Homecoming and Alumni Weekend.

Evan

shitty, we need better bars and better parties, and people who know how to drink

There is ALWAYS something going on at OWU. And, any given night, there are always students burning the midnight oil in the library. My greatest involvement was in Greek Life at OWU. I think that it was one of the most meaningful things I have ever done. It helped me learn to communicate with my peers, and it gave me amazing leadership experience that I know will benefit me throughout the rest of my life. Our Greek Life is very non-stereotypical. All kinds of people are in sororities and fraternities, and there isn't intense competition between houses, so it's really common for best friends to be in different houses. Going through recruitment you can really find a house that you like with girls you can relate to. Or, you can realize that you don't want to do it, but even still you meet a TON of people, so it's a win-win situation. Our Greek Life is really service focused, and there are always a lot of philanthropy events to be involved in, which really helps you keep well rounded. There is partying, but it's no more or less than with any other group on campus, and it definitely isn't the focus.

Abby

There is a club or group for everyone, they are so diverse. Greek life is awesomes, but struggling a little right now. On a Saturday night you can find someone who is doing whatever you want to do, from partying hard core to chilling and watching a movie to studying. Sometimes hard to meet new people, but such a small campus could be to blame.

Molly

I'm not really involved in any extracurricular activities yet. I began to do softball, but it's a very time consuming and sports dedicated program. I would have loved to continue, I just didn't have the time for it unfortunately. I lived in stuy this past year and it was great some kids would leave their door open so you could walk right in and meet them. By the end of the year I knew almost everyone living in my wing at stuy.

Peter

great parties, anyone can show up and very receptive guests

Charlie

My very favorite activity I was in at OWU was the Kappa Phi Club. I had been in many other clubs hoping to find a club that I really fit into and I found it my sophomore year. The Kappa Phi Club is a national club for Christian Women, focused around Service, Worship, and sisterhood. Kappa Phi pretty much changed my life and I am still an active member even though I am now an alumna. I met most of my best friends and mentors through this club. On the weekends, I would normally hang out with some friends watching movies and such or occasionally go to the fraternities to parties that they had.