Shawnee, OK
Oklahoma Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oklahoma Baptist University

Shelby

Oklahoma Baptist University is a liberal arts university, you are not thrown into your major as soon as you begin your education, our school provides you with a wide range of subjects. Which allows you to be educated in more than your own field, so that you can have educated conversations with people other than your colleages. OBU is a very artistic school, we have many people that are musically, theatrically, and fine arts talented. It is an inspiring atmosphere to be in. The college truly inspires learning. And it is small enough to get one on one help!

OBU has about 2,000 students which enables you to get to know most the people and provides a family like atmosphere. It is definitely a place where you can feel like you are at home. The professors and staff are always looking out for the students benefit. They are not out to fail you, they challenge you and help you grow, but they are patient. Unlike other colleges you can always schedule one-on-one time with your professors and counselors. They even encourage it.

If I were to go back to high school knowing a little bit more about what college is actually like the first thing I would say to myself would be about the transition socially. All the upperclassmen that gave me advice about the college-life talked mostly about the higher expectations in education and studying, but no one ever warned me about the pressure on relationships. You are suddenly surrounded by anywhere from 1,000-20,000 or more people that have no clue who you are. You have this opportunity to make many new friends. But I want to urge you that if you go with someone you already know, do not forget them. They have known you the longest and they understand the real you. Also, when you make new friends don't let petty things get in the way of continuing to build a relationship with them. College is definitely a time of more than just intense studying, but of life lessons. It is all of life's lessons thrown into 4 years, so just be ready! But no worries, it will be the most exciting time of your life.

Leslie

If I had the chance, I would tell my high school senior-self, "Self do not worry and live in the present, not the future. Worrying does not add a single day to your life and in fact, causes you to miss out on today. Enjoy senior year to the fullest and invest everything into your family and friends. Both high school and college are a magical time, and to dwell on the past or future causes one to not experience the full beauty of each. Stay true to yourself, yet really listen to your professors. To believe that you are always right is not only naive, but arrogant. Seek the truth with your whole heart. Do not settle until you are sure. Most of all, embrace college for all its worth. Do not take a moment for granted."

A very liberal democrat might not love OBU. I am not as conservative as most people here, but I get along fine. I think maybe a liberal democrat would get extremely frustrated with some of the stubborness of students.

The most frustrating aspect of OBU is students who choose not to get involved on campus. Some really cool people just hide in their dorms and don't get out and experience college! I feel that both them and the whole campus is missing out because of their lack of participation.

Kelli

It is a perfect size! It is small enough that you have the opportunity to get involved in as many things as you want. It is also small enough that you have the opportunity to meet as many people as you want and form close relationships with multiple people where as you might not have that chance at a bigger state school. But it is not too small to where you feel like you can not grow or spread your wings and discover new things!

The key thing I would stress is to get out there and meet as many people as possible. Coming to college can be scarey or intimidating and a lot of kids seem to find their core group and stick to those three or four people because they are scared to talk to people they dont know, or better yet, people who already have their own friends too. If you're nervous, its highly likely that everyone else feels the same way as you so why not be the one to break the ice? The reason this is important is because you never know who you may need down the road. The more people you get to know the better chance you have at a study group in case you have them in a class later on in the next semester. Also, make it a point to get to know your professors. They do genuinly care about your success, despite the scarey stories that they don't even care if you come to class. Don't be afraid to ask questions and send emails, that is the only way to grow and achieve more than those who don't ask questions!

I wish I would have known how many activites are avalible. There are so many and it is hard to keep them all straight. I wish I would have known a head of time so I could have planned better to what I want to be involved in. Luckily within t he first week of school they have a club fair type of event where you get a chance to see what all is out there.

Abby

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about the transition into college I would tell myself to be more outgoing and get out of my room. I would need to get to know as many people as possible and to get into groups with keeping a balance with my school work. I would also advise myself on keeping a balance between work and play. Knowing people helps you in many ways like finding jobs and having friends to help you when things go wrong or to have fun with. The main thing is to keep a balance between work and play so that you don't go crazy trying to get all your work done and so you don't have to much fun that you fail your classes. Keeping a balance is what keeps you going.

Someone should not attend Oklahoma Baptist University if they are not committed to their education. If a person is not ready to study and work hard then should not go here.

I brag about how much personalized attention I got from my professors. All my professors knew me by name and what my major was. I had good class sizes as well. It felt like home.

Katie

Fosters a great learning enviroment and encourages students to seek out answers on their own.

Looking back on my college experience, I would tell myself to not stress out. I was so worried about choosing the perfect school, the right major, and making the right first impression that I probably could not even laugh if someone told me to chill out. It is important to find where your fit is in this world but there is time to figure it out. Sometimes it might take a couple of tries: switching roommates, majors, or even schools, but that is what finding ourself in college is about. As long as you keep working hard for what you aspire in life, worrying is not necessary for success. Let your effort and your passion take you where you want to go.

Jairn

OBU is known for their Nursing, and Ministry programs.

OBU is known for their Nursing, and Ministry programs.

There are many tough decisions about going to college. The choices you make for college will effect you in the long run, so be sure of where you want to go, don't simply just go to go because that might seem like the only option because you didn't get accepted into the University you wanted to, or you didn't even apply because you thought you wouldn't get in. Also, apply for as many scholarships as possible before getting into college so that you won't have much debt. Especialy if you plan to go out of state. Your state school's will offer you more money than out of state schools. Make sure you are going to do what you want to, and get the degree that you want to. You don't want to be the one to say what if I did this differntly. Once you get to college try and study atleast 10 hours a week, and review all your notes after taking them atleast one time through before your next class. Studying and never giving up at what you do is key for you to achieve success.

I wish that I had known that there would be more things to do at the school, and that some of the classes required to take there wouldn't be completly rediculous.

Mikhail

Oklahoma Baptist University is best known for its rich Southern Baptist tradition. Every aspect of learning is based around the doctrine of the Baptist Church found in the Holy Bible. OBU is known for its fantastic School of Fine Arts, which I am proud to be a part of. The professors care about their students' success and make time to meet with their students on a one-on-one basis as often as they can. The Church Music program includes opportunities for its students to apply what they learn in class on the field at various churches.

Do not give up when times are hard. Work as dilligently and efficiently as you can. The results may not automatically be what you want, but in the end it is worth the struggle. Take responsibility for your health by eating the right foods, getting an adequate amount of sleep every night, and drinking plenty of water. Do not allow social events to distract you from your purpose of attending the university; instead, allow time for yourself to relax with your friends. Be able to balance work and play and do not hesitate to ask others for help if needed.

I believe if one wants to attend Oklahoma Baptist University, they should be ready to work hard. The students are offered help from their professors, but the professors are particularly interested in seeing how each student "teaches" themselves the material that is covered in class. The person who attends this school must be diligent, hard-working, ready and willing to sacrifice personal time to devote more time to studying for the classes in their major, and attentive to each professor. This person should also be willing to want to grow in their relationship with Christ as well as with others.

Lacy

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure to tell myself a few things about making the transition to college. First of all, I would want to tell myself to not stress the small things. I have found that if you remain calm and collected during the stressful moments in college, these stressful things suddenly seem small. Another thing that I would tell myself is to make sure to give yourself plenty of time to read and do homework for the following day(s). You do not want to be trying to do your homework before class. On that same note, one last thing I would tell myself is to not procrastinate. Do your assignments early on. Nothing is worse than waiting till the last day to write a research paper. If you do your assignment when you get them, you will not be stressed later on because the assignment is already complete.

I would have to say that the worst thing about my school is all of the classes you are required to take that do not pertain to your degree such as philosophy, civics, and bible classes. These tough courses do add a little more on your shoulders, but they are managable. They are not completly bad, though. I know that these courses will help me get through other courses that I wll take in the future.

The type of person that should attend Oklahoma Baptist University is someone who is looking for a small, tight-knit university where they can grow in their faith. Also, they should know that this particular school is known for writing essays.

I do not feel that my high school experience adequately prepared me for the transition to college. If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would start by better preparing myself for the academic rigors ahead of me. At my high school, it is expected that seniors enroll in an easier course load. If I could go back in time, I would encourage myself to take a more serious approach my senior year. I would also encourage myself to form better study habits. I never had to work hard to make good grades in high school, but I quickly discovered that in college I had to put in time and effort if I wanted to maintain a high level of academic excellence. I would also encourage myself to learn how to better cope with stressful situations. In high school it is easy to turn to your parents whenever a difficult situation arises, but in college you have to be able to address problems and challenges you may face on your own. In short I would encourage myself to be more self-sufficient and better focused on my studies.

I feel that Oklahoma Baptist University offers the best academic program in the state of Oklahoma. I am extremely proud of the education I am receiving from OBU. With each class I attend, I feel like I gain a deeper understanding of the world around me. OBU is excellent at exposing students to new concepts and thought processes, while still allowing them to develop their own ideas and perspectives. When I graduate from Oklahoma Baptist University, I feel that I will not only be well-prepared to succeed in my career, but also to succeed in my life and future.

The most frustrating thing about attending Oklahoma Baptist University is the lack of interaction between the campus and the surrounding area. The academic rigors of the university cause students to focus solely on their studies and become somewhat cut off from the world. While this is beneficial to a student's educational experience, it can at times make it difficult to maintain a healthy balance between academics and other aspects of life such as leadership and community service. While the university does encourage involvement, to keep up academically students simply must choose to put their studies before outside activities.

Laura

"Don't rush, girl!! Your grades ARE important! Study hard for that ACT because OBU is expensive; you'll need as many scholarships as you can get. Enjoy your time in high school; don't keep complaining! There is so much you are enjoying now that you won't ever experience again. And your biggest fear will come true - you WON'T talk to your high school friends much. But you know what? It's okay! You will make so many friends in college, some of the best friends you've ever had! The friends you make at OBU will change your life. Get involved during Welcome Week! I know you'll feel out of place, but don't sit in your room. Get out! I know you don't want to, but do it anyway! That's how you'll meet those new friends! The other freshman are as nervous as you are. You will love OBU. I promise. "Oh, and also? Don't spend all your money from graduation in your first semester. Not smart. And there are several things to avoid in the cafeteria...but hey, I gotta let you figure out SOME stuff on your own."

I wish I had known that I wasn't getting as much financial aid as I thought I was. And I wish I had known that there was no wireless internet in the dorms.

Anyone who can't deal with lots of Baptist Christian students, doesn't enjoy social activities, doesn't apply themselves academically, or can't afford it!

Oklahoma Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.