Shawnee, OK
Oklahoma Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oklahoma Baptist University

Katie

I think that one of the things that OBU is most known for is it's high level of academics as well as it's desire to see students suceed in whatever they do. Teachers and faculty are definitely dedicated to seeing students acheive their goals and go out of their way to help students in whatever way they can.

I would say visit visit visit! You can only learn so much about a school by looking at the website. Plan a day and go look at the school first hand. Most schools have days set aside for prospective students where you can attend class or visit with students and those are really the best. Check with the prospective students group and even see if you can stay the night in the dorm. Being on campus and getting a first hand view of what the school is like is one of the best ways to see if the school is right for you. On the financial aid aspect of it all, constantly keep in touch with your FA advisor. Talk to them and make sure they know what you are capable of doing financially and where you need more help. There is plenty of money out there you just have to be willing to look for it. When you get to school make sure you get out there and meet new people. Remember that there are a lot of people going through what you are going through. Get together and help eachother out as much as you can.

I think that any type of person could attend OBU. One of the things that attracted me to OBU the most was the sense of community. I think that the school as well as students and faculty do a great job at making everyone feel welcome. Because OBU is a Baptist school some religion classes and chapels are required and that might be a turn off for some people, so if that is the case then that person may not be comfortable at the school.

James

My advice to parents and students about finding the right college and making the most of your college experience is to start early, and to visit beforehand. My biggest regret in my college search is that I started too late. Thankfully, it did not hamper my ability to get into the university that I needed to be in, but it really affected my chance at obtaining a full-tuition scholarship. Never be satisfied with what grades you make on your first SAT, or on your AP tests, but start early and continue to strive to improve. It has definitely been a struggle since to continually need to seek financial aid, and that is not a burden anyone wants. The visit is the most important part to having a successful college experience. Without it, you will never be able to know the community that you are about to join, and if you're like me, it will sell the university to you. I'm so thankful that I went to visit Oklahoma Baptist, because otherwise I might have made the mistake of going where I didn't need to be. All I can say now is get going and good luck!

Someone who is ready to be stretched mentally, and wants a challenging academic environment.

The amazing students and professors that are at OBU, hands-down. They are the best, and will challenge you to grow mentally, physically, and spiritually. There is no better community to be in.

Cordell

My classmates can be either very into there studies or not into there studies either.

One of the main things about Oklahoma Baptist University is that there are may professors that care about how well you do in school. Also the smaller class size is great for a more personal classroom experience. The students at OBU also have some crazy personalitys which is fun and keep the atmosphere nice at OBU.

My advice is to start early and make sure to go to all the schools that you are interested in and check out the campus and students. For parents I would say dont try and force your child into rushing and picking a college that you would like them to go to. I believe that as a growing adult the choice of college is important and should be handled with care. Life is so important and choosing the correct college is one of the most important things that any student could ever do.

Make sure that you're comfortable with the campus, try to schedule a visit to get a guided tour of the campus. Sometimes a school will have an overnight visit and you can even sit in on a few classes. I think this is a very helpful way to get a feel for the campus life.

OBU is very accepting of all kinds of people, so I don't think it's fair to say that any one person shouldn't attend here.

Dejah

To students I would say, make a list of the top five things you want in a college. Find the school that fits those. Strongly consider all the reasons why you would be unhappy at a school. Be mindful of how much financial aid you will be receiving and how much you plan to continue receiving. Ask questions about student life on campus. Does it fit your scene? When you arrive on campus, studying is important. It is after all, the reason you are there. Don't neglect your studies. But don't isolate yourself and not make friends either. Find a balance between studying and maintaining a social life. To parents, allow your child to make the decision on their own. Weigh in on the decision and bring light to issues that you think they might not notice or might not realize are big issues, but allow them to make the decision on their own. When they move away, let them be the people you have raised them to be. Don't smother them or allow them to come home all the time. Expect them to behave like adults.

There is a community unlike any other here. People are friendly and willing to help and it's not uncommon to see professors hanging out with students, sharing a meal or grabbing coffee. They treat students like collegues which really allows students to feel like they are valued and listened to.

Someone who like to party a lot and likes a big city. There are parties that go on here, but they are not a big scene. OBU is in a small town and so there's not much to do here.

John

You should really find out what you as the student are truly passionate about, don't study something that you kind of like or you think is something you can just get by with. College is too expensive to just try and figure it out as you go. It is much easier to succeed in school when what you are studying is something you love and you know that the classes you are taking are relevant to what you will be doing after you graduate.

Too many older faculty, there needs to be some younger professors.

Sara

At OBU I am free to express my love for God without the chance of someone finding it rude and throwing me in jail. And beyond that I feel free to be myself with everyone, and it's just great to have that!

In my experience with trying to find the right school, I had to explore each school that I was looking to go to. I went to visit the schools and took a tours to see each campus and saw a few things the schools had to offer. I went to seminars on how they handled financial aide packets, and got to see first hand what it was about, and what each school was looking for. After I narrowed it t down to two or three schools, I met the people who would be my teachers to see if I like them and thought about if I could be with them for the next 4 years of my life, and after that I thought about everything the schools had to offer me and decided on the University that I am at now. I suggest to future college students and their parents to make a list of a few school the student would like to attend and do what I did, go explore the school and see what each one has to offer you. After all your future depends on the school you choose!

I consider the best thing at OBU to be the Faculty. They are very quick to help with anything you need them to, and become great friends. They challenge you to be the best that you can ever be!

Joseph

The professors are very personal and have a genuine care for how their students do

Make sure you visit the school and sit in on a lecture or two. Ask every question you can possibly think of. Don't let finances interfere with the decision.

The work is extremely challenging, but it is well worth the hard work I have to put in it

Jeff

Check out a lot of different schools. Make sure you visit all of them and make a check list of what you want. Slowly narrow your choices down.

The community that consists of the student population, faculty, and staff.

Austin

look for a community you fit into not a school that will help you go far, because with the right community you can excel.

The close minded socity, there are several dirent socitys here on campus but the majority of them are unacceping of different life styles, like gays and lesbians. And a low respect for the arts. the students here would rather watch a flop movie then a brient play, or concert.

The colse comunity despite the lack of acceptence. You my not fit in with one group but you might fit in with another.

Oklahoma Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.