Oklahoma Baptist University Top Questions

I would tell myself to not be afraid to put myself out there and to branch off from everything I had known and was comfortable with. I shouldn't be afraid to join new clubs/activities or to go out with new friends. There are a whole bunch of opportunities! I would tell myself that I need to go into college chasing a career I want to pursue and that I am passionate about and that I shouldn't let those around me tell me what it is I should be doing with my future. I would tell myself to be prepared for some of the best memories of my life but also to be prepared for some of the biggest heartbreaks of my life and to not be afraid to let those around me help me and bring me comfort. Finally, I would tell myself to not go into college trying to be the person I think everyone wants me to be but to be the person I truly am. It is then that you make true and honest friendships that will last a lifetime.

Sierra

If I could go back in time and give advice to my senior self, I would say, "Get over yourself! It is okay to ask for help. If you feel depressed, it is okay (and encouraged) to go to the University Counseling Center. If you are struggling and stressed about a paper, go to the professor's office. They are there to encourage and instruct. They want to know you. Make Shawnee your home. Don't go home on the weekends because you're afraid of growing up. Shawnee is your home and will likely be your home for quite some time. Get to know people of all ages. You will be surprised at what this diversity can teach you. Be adventurous! See the world! Let yourself be who you are and don't hide that from the world. Let your joy shine!"

Jamie

If I could go back and talk to my senior self I would tell myself to keep going kid! I promised to make my senior year as happy as possible. I got the most unique senior award out of an estimated 650 student class. I enjoyed making people laugh and think a little bit. I would tell myself to keep my love of different types of people, because it helped me make the diverse group of friends I have at my college now. My aunt got in a nearly fatal accident leaving her brain damaged. I had to quit basketball but was still able to play soccer. I was worried I would lose my chance to compete at a collegiate level. I would tell myself to relax and be there for my family, because that dream would be fulfilled and everything would be ok. I would tell myself to just keep going, because everything will work out. I would promise this to myself.

Brandi

Dear Brandi, don't be an idiot. Make sure that you thoroughly consider all your options for school. Talk to people about different majors you're interested in. Get familiar with credits and how college works. Go on multiple campus tours. If you have even the slightest interest in a college, go check it out! You will only do this once in your life. Don't settle for comfort or convenience. Track down the college best suited for your education as well as your bank account. Work for scholarships. They're out there, you just have to find them. Follow your heart. Pick the school that will give you the best education for your field. If you're gonna get a degree, don't cheapen it by going somewhere easy. Challenge yourself. It's okay to get out of your comfort zone. The rest of your life depends on this decision, so make sure you've made the right one. Step out on the ledge, take a leap. But remember that wherever you go, there is no college that God is not already at to guide you.

Skyla

There are four important things that i would tell my high school self. One, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships! Money does not grow on trees. In college I have learned that the hard way. Everytime your mother nags at you to fill out more applications, do it. Seriously, it will be less stressful in the end. Secondly, high school drama does not matter. After you graduate, popularity, boy drama, and most friendships are irrelevant. You will realize this when only your true friends stick around. Thirdly, do not take your family for granted. Show them how much you love and appreciate them. Once you are at college you will realize all that they did for you. Lastly, cherish every moment of your senior year. Live and enjoy every game, play production, and school day like it is your last. This is the last year you get to spend with the people you have went to school with for thirteen years. Appreciate what is right in front of you and stop looking to far in the future. LIve in the moment.

Jordon

SAVE MONEY! Get Another job and save as much money as you POSSIBLY can! Also note to self, you can't compete with your friends whos parents provide them with money so its okay to say, "no I can't go out for coffee, this time."

Krysta

College is where you discover who you really are. It is where you will find out what really matters to you and the things you want to fight for in your life. Although you are eighteen and think you have all the answers, you do not. Everything you think you want to do with your life will change in the next two years. So relax. Enjoy life, because it will pass quickly. College is an experience you do not want to miss. You do not always have to strive to be the best in everything. You are going to make a few bad grades. You will fail your first exam because you didn't know there was a back side. However, as long as you work hard and stay committed you will do fine. Stay open to new possibilities and new friendships, and do not be afraid to let go of the things in your life that aren't good for you, including people. Be ready for anything and remember who you are. You are going to learn a lot about yourself, but you are still going to be you. Do not let anyone change that!

Erica

I'd tell me to not start out as a Worship Arts major, because I learned quickly that was not what I wanted, and to go to chapel more that first semester because it would help me get through, emotionally. I'd tell me to buy more socks and get more sleep, and that making a B is okay; I'm at a private Christian university and it's harder than the high school I had a 4.4 GPA in. I'd also tell me to jump for the worship leading opportunities I'm given, and don't stress about money as much. God is in control.

Jake

If i could go back in time i would make sure that I would have gotten better grades in Highschool and that i would have learned to study better. The transition from highschool classes to college classes is very big, so you need to be ready to work harder.

Corrie

Chosing OBU was a great choice! College is similar to what you think it is, but don't worry- everything is completely possible to do, and you'll do fine. Don't set super high expectations on people. No matter how wonderful the friends you make are, they are only human and there will be conflict when you live in close courters. Fight for the friendships though! They are worth it. Confrontation is difficult, but strengthens the relationships in the end and makes your experience at OBU memorable and approves upon your character. Overall, don't worry too much- everything will work out just fine. OBU will help you grow to be a better person through the trials and the triumphs and will make a lasting impression on your life.

College is a place full of new poeple to meet be open to others around you, there are good friendships waiting to be made. Also be open to the learning that is ahead of you and how knowledge of the world around you will impact how you live and view things day to day. The hardest thing about college is change and it is just a major part of living and most of the time it is good, so embrace it and do not run from it, if you don't like something change it. College is a wonderful oportunity and the time you have at college is precious so do not waste it, but pursue it and use it to change your life for the better.

Jamie

Don't worry so much about leaving high school. In a year you won't even care to see most of your classmates and you will realize just how shallow those friendships were. Just because those people are familiar does not mean that they are what you need, or even really want. The friendships that you will make in your first year of college will mean more to you than many of those that you have had since preschool. The few that do matter, cultivate, even if it seems weird or hard. Let those people know that they are special to you, and be there for them. Don't cling to shallow friendships because they are easy and familiar, keep your focus on those you want to keep in the years to come.

Lovin

College is the entrance to the real world. If one did not go through that door, he/ she might struggle in their life. In college, I have learned and experienced many lifelong lessons from other students, who I met through my campus life. College gives order to my life. For example, through my college life, I have learned to be punctual, responsible, and social. In order to attend my classes, I have to be punctual. I have to wake up at the right time to catch the bus which transports me to the campus. Moreover, I have to be responsible for my grades and other actions that I make in college. In my campus life, I have the opportunity to get involved with seven different campus-wide clubs which improve my social life. As a foreign student, improving communication skills is a great saving to my life. In short, college life helps me to become a good person.

Josh

OBU is a Liberal Arts College, so no matter what your major is ,or what think you want to major in, you will be taught in other fields of study. This is done for the students to have a greater chance at success. So far this semester I have learnd alot. I feel I have a greater understanding of how I view my self and how I view the world I live in. Attending OBU , even just half of a year has set me with skills and knowledge that will stick with me through out my life.

My pre-collegiate era was extremely disorganized, lazy, and lacking the structure of a routine. I was going to college in a town that is a full twenty four hour long drive away from my home in New York, so I knew that my maturity level was going to have to increase. My intuition was correct; during my first semester at Oklahoma Baptist University, I did more studying than I had done my whole high school career combined. I had numerous late-night study sessions that went until one or two in the morning, and that was not because I started late those nights, I started early in the evening! I was required to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to keep my financial package at the school, which undoubtedly is more difficult to achieve in college than it is in high school. I did not have anyone to remind me to do my assignments, to do my laundry, or even to cook my meals any longer. I was on my own for the first time in my life, and the experience taught me how to be successful while independent. I became a mature, patient, dilligent man.

Candice

My college experience so far has given me an opportunity to step out of the stability of expectations of other people and to find my own expectations for myself. I have been challenged beyond my comfort zone and have seen the other side of failure, but I have become a stronger person for it. College has taught me that perseverance, sweat and blood keep the wheels turning, but a love for what one does is the fuel that gives life to the machine. I have made dear friends that I believe will be there for the rest of my life, and I have grown stronger in my faith. College is not only providing me with a way to earn a living, but it's also helping me find my passion in life. The value of the college experience is worth so much more than knowledge. It's worth being able to be who you were meant to be. It's worth the promise of a brighter future.

derrick

the godly atmosphere helpls keep your mind where it needs to be.

Dalton

To date, I have only enrolled at OBU, however the day I enrolled was a gret experience and has made me even more excited to attend the University. Everyone I met was very nice and helped me and answered all the questions I had. I was made to feel very welcome and cannot wait to attend the Fall term.

Yuen-Jing

I've grown and matured greatly since entering college at Oklahoma Baptist University. The friendships I've made and the knowledge I've gain are only a fraction of the potential that my university has to offer me. I've met so many different people with their experiences and cultural background that has taught me to expect the unexpected and realize that I'm not alone in my struggles. By attending college at Oklahoma Baptist University I'm not only attending a respected university that will help me prepare for a future career in medicine but I'm learning to find my own answers and become more independent.

Tim

This is the second time in college for me. Due to the lack of jobs caused by the recession, I was unable to find work after relocating for my wife's job from Texas to Indiana. When I saw there was an Occupational Therapy program near my home, I jumped at the opportunity. I have attended classes for 6 months now and have found the experience invaluable. Many of the people in my classes have lost their jobs and are training to find work in another field. As opposed to the first time I was in college at the age of 18 and was in classes with others my same age, I am now in classes with students from 19 years of age to 55. I have been able to learn a great deal from the older people in the class as to how they have dealt with the economy and also how the younger generation feels about it. By going back to school, myself along with the others in my class are gaining new skills that will last a lifetime.

Jimmy

I cannot yet know the full extent of what I have learned during my 3 semesters at OBU, but I have grown intellectually, spiritually, and physically during my time here. OBU is dedicated to giving its students a liberal arts education. This is something that I appreciate greatly. I have learned so very much about our culture and its beginnings. I am much more capable now of drawing connections from the past to the present, which furthen enables me to make decisions regarding the future. OBU is a wonderful place to learn about all aspects of western culture, while the studybody is conservative, our professors push us in every way possible to come to our own conclusions and not to blindly follow in the footsteps of those who have come before us. I have been greatly blessed to have attended this university. I have grown to love learning at this place as a result of the curriculum. All areas of the liberal arts are necessary to be a well educated person and OBU is helping me to achieve my goal of being well educated. OBU is the place where I have been challenged, and it will continue to do so.

sabrina

Live each moment to the fullest.Dont be afraid to take the chances you really want. In the end it will all work out and make you the person you are meant to be. Never regret anything you do. Embrace the ones you love and never take them for granted. Last but not least, always believe in your self, dont let other people make your life decsions for you, do what you feel is best for you. Just know everything will work out, dont worry so much.

Kristina

I would tell myself that abot college life, and what to except and tell myself to prepae more on doing homework and keeping up to date with everything and be more organized in high school.

Leah

In light of a very devastating death which occured my first semester in college, and now being privy to just how fragile life can be, I would encourage myself as a senior in high school to focus more closely on the friendships that are established on campus - hopefully convincing myself to wholeheartedly invest in friendships. The academic portion of college is important, but there are also incredible opportunities to be held outside of classrooms and study halls. I would argue that building relationships in college should be extremely high on a list of my priorities - a close second to focusing on my studies. In order to spark friendships, I would suggest joining social and religious clubs, becoming involved in service projects where fellow students step off of campus and experience a perspective of thier college town, involvement in dorm activities with hall and roomates, and many other enjoyable avenues of meeting fellow classmates.

Be confident in yourself. Going to college and being the underdog is a scary thing, but you can achieve all things through self-confidence. Don't be afraid to be yourself! You don't have to blend in with the crowd in order to be accepted; be accepted by being who you are. Don't be scared of the unknown and be friendly to all! Everyone is in the same situation, so don't think you are the only one feeling scared of being in a new environment. Not only will you help yourself, but you will also help others build up their self-confidence without even knowing it. Do unto others as you would have them do to you; help others at any given opportunity, and they in return might help you down the line. Last, but not least, pursue your dreams whole-heartedly. Don't have cold feet! It's amazing the things you can achieve through believing you can do anything if you put all your effort into doing it!

Shelby

If I were to go back to high school knowing a little bit more about what college is actually like the first thing I would say to myself would be about the transition socially. All the upperclassmen that gave me advice about the college-life talked mostly about the higher expectations in education and studying, but no one ever warned me about the pressure on relationships. You are suddenly surrounded by anywhere from 1,000-20,000 or more people that have no clue who you are. You have this opportunity to make many new friends. But I want to urge you that if you go with someone you already know, do not forget them. They have known you the longest and they understand the real you. Also, when you make new friends don't let petty things get in the way of continuing to build a relationship with them. College is definitely a time of more than just intense studying, but of life lessons. It is all of life's lessons thrown into 4 years, so just be ready! But no worries, it will be the most exciting time of your life.

Leslie

If I had the chance, I would tell my high school senior-self, "Self do not worry and live in the present, not the future. Worrying does not add a single day to your life and in fact, causes you to miss out on today. Enjoy senior year to the fullest and invest everything into your family and friends. Both high school and college are a magical time, and to dwell on the past or future causes one to not experience the full beauty of each. Stay true to yourself, yet really listen to your professors. To believe that you are always right is not only naive, but arrogant. Seek the truth with your whole heart. Do not settle until you are sure. Most of all, embrace college for all its worth. Do not take a moment for granted."

Kelli

The key thing I would stress is to get out there and meet as many people as possible. Coming to college can be scarey or intimidating and a lot of kids seem to find their core group and stick to those three or four people because they are scared to talk to people they dont know, or better yet, people who already have their own friends too. If you're nervous, its highly likely that everyone else feels the same way as you so why not be the one to break the ice? The reason this is important is because you never know who you may need down the road. The more people you get to know the better chance you have at a study group in case you have them in a class later on in the next semester. Also, make it a point to get to know your professors. They do genuinly care about your success, despite the scarey stories that they don't even care if you come to class. Don't be afraid to ask questions and send emails, that is the only way to grow and achieve more than those who don't ask questions!

Abby

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about the transition into college I would tell myself to be more outgoing and get out of my room. I would need to get to know as many people as possible and to get into groups with keeping a balance with my school work. I would also advise myself on keeping a balance between work and play. Knowing people helps you in many ways like finding jobs and having friends to help you when things go wrong or to have fun with. The main thing is to keep a balance between work and play so that you don't go crazy trying to get all your work done and so you don't have to much fun that you fail your classes. Keeping a balance is what keeps you going.

Katie

Looking back on my college experience, I would tell myself to not stress out. I was so worried about choosing the perfect school, the right major, and making the right first impression that I probably could not even laugh if someone told me to chill out. It is important to find where your fit is in this world but there is time to figure it out. Sometimes it might take a couple of tries: switching roommates, majors, or even schools, but that is what finding ourself in college is about. As long as you keep working hard for what you aspire in life, worrying is not necessary for success. Let your effort and your passion take you where you want to go.

Jairn

There are many tough decisions about going to college. The choices you make for college will effect you in the long run, so be sure of where you want to go, don't simply just go to go because that might seem like the only option because you didn't get accepted into the University you wanted to, or you didn't even apply because you thought you wouldn't get in. Also, apply for as many scholarships as possible before getting into college so that you won't have much debt. Especialy if you plan to go out of state. Your state school's will offer you more money than out of state schools. Make sure you are going to do what you want to, and get the degree that you want to. You don't want to be the one to say what if I did this differntly. Once you get to college try and study atleast 10 hours a week, and review all your notes after taking them atleast one time through before your next class. Studying and never giving up at what you do is key for you to achieve success.

Mikhail

Do not give up when times are hard. Work as dilligently and efficiently as you can. The results may not automatically be what you want, but in the end it is worth the struggle. Take responsibility for your health by eating the right foods, getting an adequate amount of sleep every night, and drinking plenty of water. Do not allow social events to distract you from your purpose of attending the university; instead, allow time for yourself to relax with your friends. Be able to balance work and play and do not hesitate to ask others for help if needed.

Lacy

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure to tell myself a few things about making the transition to college. First of all, I would want to tell myself to not stress the small things. I have found that if you remain calm and collected during the stressful moments in college, these stressful things suddenly seem small. Another thing that I would tell myself is to make sure to give yourself plenty of time to read and do homework for the following day(s). You do not want to be trying to do your homework before class. On that same note, one last thing I would tell myself is to not procrastinate. Do your assignments early on. Nothing is worse than waiting till the last day to write a research paper. If you do your assignment when you get them, you will not be stressed later on because the assignment is already complete.

I do not feel that my high school experience adequately prepared me for the transition to college. If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would start by better preparing myself for the academic rigors ahead of me. At my high school, it is expected that seniors enroll in an easier course load. If I could go back in time, I would encourage myself to take a more serious approach my senior year. I would also encourage myself to form better study habits. I never had to work hard to make good grades in high school, but I quickly discovered that in college I had to put in time and effort if I wanted to maintain a high level of academic excellence. I would also encourage myself to learn how to better cope with stressful situations. In high school it is easy to turn to your parents whenever a difficult situation arises, but in college you have to be able to address problems and challenges you may face on your own. In short I would encourage myself to be more self-sufficient and better focused on my studies.

Laura

"Don't rush, girl!! Your grades ARE important! Study hard for that ACT because OBU is expensive; you'll need as many scholarships as you can get. Enjoy your time in high school; don't keep complaining! There is so much you are enjoying now that you won't ever experience again. And your biggest fear will come true - you WON'T talk to your high school friends much. But you know what? It's okay! You will make so many friends in college, some of the best friends you've ever had! The friends you make at OBU will change your life. Get involved during Welcome Week! I know you'll feel out of place, but don't sit in your room. Get out! I know you don't want to, but do it anyway! That's how you'll meet those new friends! The other freshman are as nervous as you are. You will love OBU. I promise. "Oh, and also? Don't spend all your money from graduation in your first semester. Not smart. And there are several things to avoid in the cafeteria...but hey, I gotta let you figure out SOME stuff on your own."

Hannah

You've made it this far, now keep going! College requires more self-motivation but is also a lot more fun!

Arturo

I would make use I studied all the material. You have to read a lot in college. As well as make sure you are responsible, there is no one in college that is going to hold your hand and make sure you do your work. You are responsible for yourself and no one else. Appreciate the free time you have in high school, make the best out of it. Once you get to college you won't have as much free time. Also be involved in a club or organization, it helps with your college scholarships and you will also be more social. It will be tough to come to an unknown place and try to fit in.

Andre

I would tell myself to applt for more scholarships and raise more money for school. Be prepared for anything and keep your head up because life's to short to be down all the time.

Kate

As I look back on what I have learned in the last 18 months, I would tell myself to challenge myself even more than I did. I should have worked more in order to pay for school, since I pay for college alone. The financial aspect would be a huge topic that I would discuss. Also, I would advise myself in friendships. Here in college my friendships are more broad and I have a lot more friends than I did in high school, but this is after learning here in college. In the beginning it was hard to find friends that were genuine. Now I have really good freinds. I wish I would have had that in high school to transition with. Furthermore, I think that I would have told myself to draw a little closer to my family before I left, because once I got up here it was hard being a way from them all the time. Other than a few basic things, that is what I would advise myself if I were to return to my high school senior self.

Jeffrey

The biggest piece of advice that I would give myself if I could go back to my senior year is to apply myself. In most schools, senior is usually the easiest year because most students have fulfilled most of the requirements to graduate. I would advise against taking an easy year. If you challenge yourself in high school, then you will better prepared for the challenges of college. Even if the student plans on attending a Jr. college my advice would be the same. I would also advise them to take challenging classes in the Jr. college and to really apply themselves in every class they have whether it be organic chemistry or underwater basket weaving. Always do the best you can in every class you take.

Amy

I would tell myelf that this is not going to be easy, however you can do it! Continually surround yourself with good influences and positive people. Stay proactive and do not let an event, teacher, or coach get you down on life or get in the way of you getting your stuff done. People are going to get under your skin and college is such a learning experience when it comes to learning how to communicate with people in society. Also, remember to always do your best at all times for education is not something that you don't pay for to just get through. Take advantage of the hard times and relish in your successful times. For getting an education is an opportunity that most do not get to have. It goes by fast so make the moment of every experience, learn from your mistakes, and savor the laughs. Follow your heart and make sure you study something that makes you happy. Lastly good luck!

Sam

Be open! College can be the place where you discover so many new things about yourself that you love and some that you need to work on, or it can be a place that makes you feel small and uncomfortable and unhappy. Don't even worry about fitting in, everyone else coming to OBU is in the EXACT same boat you are; they don't know many people (if any) either, and they are just as nervous about meeting new people and adjusting to a new way of life. Simply go talk to them. Put yourself out there; join up in some clubs you think are worthwhile. Studying is something you will really need to work on. Trust me, I saw you in high school, and you need to work on it. You can succeed in so many ways here if you just open yourself to the idea that everything, even our faith, plays into your academic journey in a way you have probably never thought of before. There is knowledge to be known and mastered, and people to be befriended and loved; maybe even a REALLY special someone! I know you can do it, just give everything you have.

Geoff

Keep striving. Go to OBU

Veronica

Don't be so prideful. In the next four years, you will have a much better experience if you realize that you don't hold all of the answers. Come into this experience and one who is thankful and open-minded. Seek learning before it finds you the hard way. These are about to be the best four years of your life. Approach them with the mindset that will allow you to get the most out of them. Let it shape who you already are into a more complete person. Study hard! You're going to need it, even if you didn't in high school. But it's worth it. Here you will learn things that you never knew to question. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Joshua

look for a college that doesn't appeal to because it is large or because it is small, or because it is well know or world renowned in a field of study. Pick a college that has a sense of community and that appeals to your heart. This is the most important thing in choosing a college. If you don't feel connection to the campus you live on and the other students and faculty you are surrounded by then you will not be as able to learn.

Alyssa

Remember to look for a school that offers a program that will allow you to explore your passions, and makes you feel as comfortable as possible away from home.

Craig

Inidividual traits and desires provide the basis for delineating between innumerable college options. Students should evaluate their personal needs and skill sets to find an academically challenging university that will foster their growth. Limiting factors such as budgetary constraints, or opposing value systems need to be accounted for to finalize the decision. The campus culture is of utmost importance regarding overall happiness, as belongingness is a vital human need. Many adolescents develop and grow immensely during their tenure at an institution, which may lead to transferring to another postsecondary institution. Therefore, school choices should involve painstaking analysis, but not viewed as an unchangeable conclusion. Combining the aforementioned factors is the most favorable process to a satisfying college experience. When students arrive at the desired institution, they should take advantage of the bevy of facilities surrounding them, as well as the opportunity to interact with the diverse personalities of their colleagues. The learning process is a lifelong endeavor that is shaped through both formal teaching and peer interaction. By becoming a leader in the campus community through your selfless action and devotion to compassionate understanding, you may find yourself rejoicing in the enlightening transformation a life of service and leadership offers.

Zach

Check it out!

Meredith

I would tell parents/students to look for a college that offers majors that you are interested in pursuing--just in case you decide to change majors, other majors at that school are still interesting to you. Also, choose one that has activities that you enjoy. For me, I love cross country and track, so, that was a big deal for me. Make campus visits and talk to as many people as you can; hear their story, gain insight from them about the school, and drill them with ANY questions you have. To make the most of the college experience get involved! Whether its with a team, club, or voluteer group, do something! Be focused on your academics so you can get good grades and hopefully get a great job but, find (experiment with) the right balance between school work and social activites. Do fun things with friends (movies, get togethers, shopping, coffee chats, etc) can enhance your experience because you learn about each other and they can open your eyes to new things. Also, every once and a while, go chat with your professors--they really do care about you, and they have GREAT advice!

Cylie

For parents I would say to let your child go and expierence life as an adult. Offer them help and love but let them make their own mistakes. For the students I would say to be responsible. College is not about parting, but about finding out who you are. Take advantage of that.