Oklahoma Baptist University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oklahoma Baptist University

Katie

OBU is a very small campus, where you know everybody. The teachers are always there and ready to assist you no matter what. The classes only have about 15 people in them and the teaching is very hard. The teachers try to push you and make you study. The success center is open and it is very helpful to students that are struggling. It is expensive to go here. There are not many teams, and the sports they do have, not everybody supports them. The dorms are either really nice or really awful, there is none that are in between. The food on campus is not very good, but there are many places you can go out and eat at. They do not have frats or anything like that but they do have social clubs you can join. They are similar to frats. They also have some other clubs you can join. They also have chapel, and expect you to get 100 total throughout the year. The diversity here is very small.

Anna

An excellent school. A beautiful campus, genuine friends, professors that care about more than just assignments, and I place that God is using to change my life and make me into a better person.

Ryan

I felt that OBU was a great school to visit. Everyone was kind, and genuinely loving toward me and my family. Great school for Baptists!

Natalie

In the three months that I have been at Oklahoma Baptist University, I have experienced nothing but great things. The inviting atmosphere and people on campus are some of the main reasons why my freshman year has been so enjoyable. The academics are tough, but the professors are always willing to help if a student has a problem. Overall, OBU is an exceptional college that wants its students to have fun and receive a good education at the same time.

Cailin

Oklahoma Baptist University, or better known as OBU, is a place where you have incredibly intelligent professors who truly care about you and your well being. They push you beyond what you think you are capable of and you might get to the point where you want to quit, but after finals, you realize that you survived and your professors knew you would the whole time. They truly care about their students, not only as students, but as genuine people in society. OBU is small enough to not feel like you are drowning in people and yet, it is big enough to slightly overwhelm anyone from Small Town, Oklahoma. The beauty of the campus though, brings peace to all of those who come and see it. OBU may not be home for everyone, but it sure is my home away from home. God Bless OBU!

Leavi

Oklahoma Baptist University is a wonderful place to attend school. The staff is extremely helpful and the students are very kind. OBU has always felt like home whenever I am on campus and I could not imagine myself anywhere else. Although it is a private university, it is made very affordable to those who take the time and effort to readily apply themselves. Its academic and financial advisers are always there and never hesitate to answer any questions you may have. The school has wonderful chapel services with great speakers and worship. Overall, OBU is a small school with a big personality to grow into.

Andy

OBU is a great school because it has a great education program but also instills good values and characteristics in the student body. The community is very involved and it’s super easy to get plugged in. All the teachers and faculty are readily available if you have questions or just want to talk. Oklahoma Baptist is a great school and I’m blessed to be attending there this Fall.

John

Overall, OBU is a competitive and challenging academic institution. Most colleges are equal to or greater than ivy-league level instruction and facilities are beautiful. The college feels homey and is quite small - a boon for many. OBU is a great place to form lifelong relationships and the start of a great career.

Abby

I totally loved it!! Everybody was really nice, and the staff we talked with were really helpful and answered all the questions we had. The campus was super nice, and it wasn't big, which I loved. I was looking at their Theatre department, which is what I wanted to go for, and it was amazing. I can't wait to enroll!

Madison

Oklahoma Baptist University (OBU) is a private liberal arts college that certainly lives up to its reputation. My class has about - and this is a rough estimate - 200 people in it, which is just the right size to make campus seem cozy but not overly small. Due to the size, you have the opportunity to get to know your professors and to not be sitting in a lecture hall, very confused and unable to ask questions. The grounds are beautiful, as are both the old and new buildings. I've lived about 20 minutes away from OBU my entire life, and I've always loved the town its located in. While the Christian-based teaching might not be for everyone, I honestly can't see myself anywhere but OBU.

Darin

Oklahoma Baptist University, is a great school to grow academically, spiritually, and socially. With great professors that are easily available and strive to establish relationships with every student in their class, to the rigorous programs, intelligence is a norm.

Alexis

From my first visit to my freshman move in day I have had nothing but praise for this school. OBU is a place I will always call home; I know I will make friendships everyday and the opportunities are going to be endless. Anyone considering OBU should definitely take the trip and spend the night on campus through one of the special visiting days. Oklahoma Baptist University is very special to me and I am 100% glad that my mom dragged me out of bed one morning and go visit this school.

Joelle

It’s a great school! I cannot wait to attend! I am very excited to be a Bison this coming fall and the school is a perfect place for me. It is small and friendly and I enjoy the environment very much. The education and connections made are fantastic.

Joshua

I absolutely love being at Oklahoma Baptist. Ever since the first time i stepped onto the campus, i've felt at home and that i belong there. There have been plenty of campus activities, major campus traditions, closeness between the students, and an amazing educational program that fits my major. I really could not think of myself being at a different school then this one.

Andrew

I've met some great people, but honestly I wish I'd gone somewhere else. Administration is at constant war with any faculty "dangerous" enough to have opinions and so there's a very high turnover rate. There are a number of policies that show a clear preference for squeezing every last cent out of students over promoting the professed Christian values, and it's a rather hostile environment towards the arts or other creative majors, though the professors do an amazing job in spite of it. Even as a small school the variety of electives is often disappointing, all of the good ones often only being offered once every two years and at the same time. Unless you're coming for nursing, business, or ministry, it's not a great environment.

Brianna

I love it here! Everyone is loving and welcoming and, as cheesy as it sounds, it feels like home and we're one huge family. The campus is small so it's easy to get everywhere fairly quickly. And there are tons of ways to get involved on and off campus. Also, our campus is gorgeous!!

Lara

OBU, overall, is a pretty good school. It's a great learning environment and professors are always available when you need them. However, sometimes things need to be taken into your own hands because academic advisors are more willing to let you do their job for them and are more likely to confirm your schedule for the next semester than help you figure out what you need. At least, that's my experience.

Grace

I am convinced OBU is the best place on earth. I was definitely skeptical of going to a Christian university at first, but after being here I cannot imagine being anywhere else. The people here are some of the most welcoming and kindest people you will ever meet and I always say it is the easiest place to make friends. I have loved every professor I have had, you can tell that they do genuinely care about you and your well-being. I have always felt comfortable talking to them about anything that is bothering me and they are happy to answer any questions. Of course, nothing is perfect, Shawnee (the town OBU is in) does not have that many activities or attractions, so we frequently drive to Oklahoma City for things. But otherwise, I have found Shawnee to be a great little city to live in. Also, be prepared to work harder here than you would at a state college or a community college considering it is a private university it is more academically challenging. The workload is manageable, you just cannot slack off and it helps if you are passionate about getting your education. I am also confident that the university has my best interest at heart as they are extremely Christ-centered, making the atmosphere one of positivity and inclusion. Coming to OBU I have never felt like just a number, I feel wanted and appreciated by almost everyone. I encourage anyone that is even considering OBU to come and visit the campus and talk face to face with the people, you will not regret it.

Draelyn

I love it! There is always something going on and it is a great atmosphere. I love the people there, they are all so kind and welcoming. I am proud to be apart of OBU! I love what it stands for. It’s a really great college, everyone wants you to succeed and I really love that about this school.

Kendall

I loved the smaller, close-knit community of OBU. The professors are diligent and reliable, and the smaller class sizes allow for easy communication with professors. The students bond over many activities such as athletics, intramural sports, chapel, and clubs. Students attending OBU can expect to receive an excellent education, grow their faith, form lasting friendships, and make amazing memories.

Katherine

It's a god small school for people that are okay withing being in the middle of Oklahoma for a few years. The Academics are great but everything else is just okay. I have loved my time here and I feel that I have received a great education for a good price due to athletics. If it was not for a sports scholarship, This would be a very expensive school.

Mackenzie

Oklahoma Baptist University is my favorite place to be. The community is like no other, with professors that are present and plenty of opportunities to get involved! As a Christian liberal arts school, you will receive an education that is unparalleled and will prepare you for the rest of your life!

Barrett

I enjoyed learning there and working with my professors and peers. I was provides all I needed and encouraged and challenged, any lack was due to my own failings to study or choosing to procrastinate, however I still managed to graduate with honors. It was challenging academically but I learned a lot and pushed my limits and am ready for a new challenge.

Lindsey

I love Oklahoma Baptist University! The class sizes are small so that students are able to personally get to know their professors and the professors are always willing to be there for you. I love that professors are able to pray over students before class or a big test. It is just unlike any other college that I’ve toured and I’m glad to call OBU my home.

Erin

Oklahoma Baptist University is a private, Christian university located in Shawnee, Oklahoma. The education system is phenomenal and the professors are there to push their students to do their best. Also because the school is smaller, there is more of a sense of community among the students and the professors. I enjoy the environment and people that surround me every day!

Ashlen

The school is amazing the only problem in Shawnee their is not much to do. The only thing around really are movie theaters, a very small mall, and casinos. The professors are super nice and really want to help you succeed, they try and make themselves available to the students as much as possible.

Chandler

I am a big fan of my university. I do believe that some people have strong opinions and no hesitation to voice them, even if they aren't popular. Academics are very advanced and there is always a challenge, which I enjoy. The athletic program is starting to take off, and athletes make up a majority of the school's population. I would not want to go anywhere else.

Grace

I love OBU for all that it stands for and the fantastic education it provides. Great school. Great people. Great place to be. I plan on going here for my college career and cannot wait. I am close to quite a few alumni and they all say fantastic things about the life at OBU, they even tell me that they wish they could come back and do it all again. You only get that at a very special place. I love OBU, and can't wait to be there.

Dion

It is a great university that teaches you core values that better prepares you for the outside world. They integrate faith in learning so that we may live in the high calling of God. They have facilities that all can use to better their health. The class sizes aren’t too big to where the student gets lost but small enough to where the student gets to have individual time with each professor.

Alexzandria

It is very strict. The food is sometimes good, but not often. They raise tuition each year. Dorms have strict hours when the opposite gender may be there. The dorms are old and small for the more affordable option. Most things here are very expensive, which isn't great when they limit the things you can do when you pay thousands of dollars to attend here. If I knew this is how the school was, I would have gone somewhere else when I signed.

For me, Oklahoma Baptist University was like coming home. I was shy about going to college and afraid of not knowing anyone. Oklahoma Baptist University has a Welcome Week where you get to know your incoming classmates as well as upperclassmen. I became close friends with multiple people in my Welcome Week Group that I am still close friends with today. During Welcome Week the leaders teach the freshmen "Ka-Rip," the OBU fight song, and we have "Ka-Rip War." Throughout the year Oklahoma Baptist University does multiple fundraisers for local charities; this is a time where the student body comes together in a huge way. One of the most looked forward to events during the fundraisers is the "Whole Milk 2 Mile." Students pay money to participate in this event. During the "Whole Milk 2 Mile" students dress up in crazy, outrageous costumes. Students must run 8 laps around the center oval of campus. Each lap students run they must drink a cup of whole milk; some people even dye their milk different colors. Obviously there is a lot of vomiting involved when students are running 2 miles and each quarter mile are drinking milk. It is not so much about a race to see who wins as it is an entertaining event where the campus comes together to raise money for a good cause. There are many more amazing events like this that causes the student body to gather together just to have some fun!