Oklahoma Christian University Top Questions

Tim

As a high school student looking to take the next adventure in my life to college, I think I would have numerous things to say. First, take it seriously. It wasn't that I didn't take it serious, but I probably could have done more to really pursue colleges and obtaining scholarships. Second, find a school that has a degree program you're interested in. Don't go to a school and then look to transfer later because they don't have your degree. Third, do a major that you enjoy. In life, you will make money and be successful, it's just a matter of effort. If you are good at something and strive to be your best, than you will have no problems. So do what you love. Fourth, be kind to everyone. You never know who will be your boss one day, or who will maybe have the ability to help you. Make friends, be social and kind to everyone. It'll help you make friends, be confident, and in times of need have people around you who care. Finally, just enjoy every day of school. It was an awesome experience.

Read more! No one ever tells you just how much you read in college. You have all the pre-reading to get ready for the class, then the reading during class, and then the numbers of hours spend after classes re-reading and studying. Before you go off to college you always have people telling you this and that, trying to help you figure out what to expect but most of it isn't true. And every college is different. I would go back and tell my high school self to read more, and be prepared to read A LOT. To spend more time with family and pets, because you never realize how much you miss them until your gone. And it is a 3 hour drive just to walk your dog. I'd also tell myself to pack lighter, and you will go home so don't stress over it all. I would also reassure myself that I am well prepared. That I will do just fine in college, and to just dive right into the waters and keep kicking until you start to swim. Lastly to cherish every second you have before you leave!

Wake up, you silly high school girl! Get a grip! High school is not about the rest of your life! The opinions of these high school kids will not matter when you get out in the real world! Take advantage of the curriculum offered in high school, as well as the advice offered by teachers and counselors. Pay attention to their real life experiences and learn from them. Prepare! Prepare! Prepare! Don't get caught up in school drama, because once you leave the school campus, it never really mattered anyway. College is about the real world and real life experiences. High school was day care compared to college. Take advantage of education as it is an earned privilege. Now, go back to sleep, and dream about completing your college career with a passion!

Jacey

I would tell myself to not worry about what anyone else thinks or is going to think if you make a decision. It's your life and you need to do what makes you happy, not what anyone or everyone else thinks or expects you to do. Life isn't all about you, the world doesn't revolve around you but that also means that you don't revolve around the world and have to make eveyone else happy before you can be. Just forget about how peolple will think and just do what you feel necessary to grow and be happy. God will guide you and support you and in the process you'll find your real friends right beside you supporting you as well.

Dear Madison, You don't know it yet, but right now you subconsciously think that this is the end of your journey. You think you've somehow built yourself to the point where you want to be, and you're afraid of change because it feels like it's tearing down the walls of yourself that you've built up. Really, this is only the beginning. You will learn and grow and expand your horizons in ways that you never could have dreamed of at home. You aren't being torn down as a person; you're being built. All of childhood laid a foundation, and only a foundation, of the person you will one day be. Now you get a fresh new chance to start putting up the structure of you, filling in that structure, and becoming the person you want to be. Every choice you make is a tiny step on this journey, from the friends you make to the jobs you take. So do everything with purpose, and remember: There are far better things ahead than any that lie behind.

Hi Bekah, it's you from the future. You are now a senior in high school. First off, enjoy high school!! Don't exclude yourself, go be with friends, please! Second, there's somethings you need to know about college. The first thing is it is amazing! So much better than high school. But, college is not a piece of cake, you have to work hard. Get into study groups, those are the best and help so much with test scores. The one study group that I did suprisingly helped my final grade and GPA. Second thing, don't procrastinate! It's your worst quality. In the last term at Chemeketa you finally figure it out and get your homework done at a resonable time instead of staying awake until 1 am. Last thing, don't get discouraged. The work load, lack of time, and redundency can really take a toll on your determination. Just keep at it and you'll be great! Oh wait! one more thing, take time for your friends too, and make new long lasting friendships as well. Have a great journey!

I would tell myself to take my classes more seriously, to actually apply myself when it comes to my studies and to actually have a study habit. I would also tell myself to listen to my parents when they talk about college experiences compared to highschool because even though they didn't graduate they know what they are talking about and I should have paid more attention. I would stress how important it would've been to get a job over the summer going into my freshman year of college, that way I could've started to save up some money so it wouldn't be such an issue. Last thing I would say is to not slack off in anything I do and to take everything seriously and to truly give my all then and not later; just to really work for what I want. In a way though I'm glad I wasn't able to tell myself those things because of those mistakes now I've learned some HUGE lessons that have made me so much stronger, and if I would've known all those things I would've taken things for granted, so I'm thankful.

The first piece of information that I would tell my high school self is exactly what I heard from several adults in my church, which is this: Your college years are the best years of your life! No matter how frightening the first day, week, or month is, you will make friends and lose friends. But those friends that you make and keep will be your lifelong friends. You will share your dreams, hopes, fears, and heartaches with these friends and this brings you all together to form a great friendship and faith group. In a few years after high school, you will speak to very few of your high school friends (and this isn't a bad thing, or even your fault). As you start to explore your identity, you will realize that you don't have a lot of things in common with your old friends, just know that you will have wonderful friends in the near future! Remember, have fun, serve others, and always love others as Christ has loved you. You are doing great!

A) Don't trust your advisor! Go talk to the department dean, he does a much better job helping students with their schedules. B) Don't go overboard on credits your freshman year. 15 or 16 hours is plenty, 20 is too much! C)Apply for every internship you hear about, not just the ones that are for freshman. Many of my peers got "senior" internships as freshman.

Janae

First I would slap my self and say don't plan anything ! College has its own method of working and you can not plan how everything is going to play out . A thing called life happens and there is no control of it . But keep pushing forward the ones who give up never make it . If you stumble and fall pick your self back up there is not more mommy and daddy it is you and only you .

The most important thing i would tell myself is that i am called to be at Oklahoma Christian. I wasted a year at another school that i thought i wanted to attend. I would tell myself that college life isnt as easy as it seems. I would prepare myself for living on my own and having to completely make my own decisions. I would tell myself that keeping my faith in Christ is the most important thing in the transition into college. That i need to focus on my studies and not on my friends and other things that arent important. That college is too expensive to be playing around and forgetting about my school work.

If i could go back to my high school self I would say, "You are about to have a rough semester, you are going to feel overwhelmed at a big party school, but you will make it. Transfering is an option, find the school that is the best fit for you and then get plugged in. Join something, the choir, a club, something in order to meet new friends. Find a study group, you need support from the students in your field of study, they are the ones who know the pressure youre under, the tests that you have to study for, and they will probably be in similar classes all 4 years. Make friends with your professors! They care about helping you succeed and you will need their help. Always smile through everything, eventually you will forget that something was wrong. You are smart strong and beautiful and you will make it through.

I would tell myself not to worry much. You're charming, you DO know what you're doing. Don't worry about making friends too much, because they want to and will find you and you will find them too. Focus less on changing your look and attitude and more on figuring out how to pay for classes and figuring out which books you need BEFORE classes start! Figure out how you're going to eat at school, as the cafeteria is expensive, and frankly, not very good. Invest in thermal containers instead of new, pricey accessories. Also, go to more events and study groups! You'll meet lots of people and have a much better time than sitting at home surfing Reddit all night thinking you're saving some money. The experiences that will live on with you and the people you meet are worth it. Make sure to meet up with your professors and introduce yourself. Don't be so proud as to not ask for help. Don't forget to smile wherever you go, and never try being someone else in place of being yourself, as that's what you're best at.

Destinee

I would tell myself to relax and not stress out so much. The reason for this is I could not focus very well in my art work and building my portfolio for college. So if I would have relaxed and destressed some maybe I would have listened more to what God wanted me to do instead of what mankind was telling me to do. This would have built my faith up, built a stronger relationship with my family, and prepared me more for college.

Tien

IF I can travel back, I definately tell my self one sentence. Only one sentence, which contens all my soul, emotion and thought, is "DO WHAT YOU WANT!". Because I always do everything that everyone told me. Vary from choosing school to study to doing other stuffs like reading, playing etc. I totally hate it. But I can't say no to them. Right now, I feel a little bit regret of my decision. Maybe my future will be like a black hole if I do what I want and many people may laugh so much that their stomach being heart. Even the world turns back to someone like me. I still live as I like even a horror one. I want to be the one who controls it from head to toe, from past to future. "DO WHAT YOU WANT" is the one and only answer.

Monalisa

If I could go back in time, the advice I would give myself would be to start school and take it serious. Now that I'm older I realize how important education is, it is the key to open many doors and opportunities. If I could go back in time I would have started college earlier because I would have more doors to choose from as of today. The college life has taught me many things and is helping me in alot of ways. Currently serving in the military, the education I'm obtaining is helping me become better at my job as well as take on many other tasks from other fields. I'm also able to pass on knowledge to the youth as well. I feel if I started going to college earlier I would be a little father in life.

carmen

I would say: NEVER GIVE UP CARMEN! THE WORLD CAN BE YOURS IF YOU WANT IT. THE PROCESS IS GOING TO BE HARD BUT AT THE END YOU ARE GOING TO SEE YOUR TREASURE.

Jon

Enjoy learning at your own pace (faster than average) and in your own way. Once you get to college you can forget being yourself and forget learning efficiently. You'll sit in classes retaking everything you already did 3 times in high-school and have worse grades because it is taught in a manner that doesn't appy to you but probably has something to do with how the teacher learned it 3 - 30 years ago. You know that nice computer you're looking forward to getting and using to take notes? Well forget that because most teaches won't let you because of the couple of morons who get on facebook, even though it is their own money and they should be able to waste it by goofing off if they like. You won't have time to read or keep up with all of the things you used to. No more drawing, games, reading science and technolgy articles for fun, no remembering your dreams much less recording them, no more only being depressed some of the time. Be prepared for double standards, sexist rules, lies, loneliness and being on the edge of despair for a peice of paper.

Ashton

Get a job as soon as you can so that you can save up spending money for college, because you're going to feel bad asking your parents for money for extra fun events like concerts, or money for club dues. Solidify your faith, make sure your foundation is strong and always put God first in your relationships. Develop a good work ethic now, because there will be no time to "find yourself" amongst the studying and campus events of which you'll be put in charge or helping. Learn to say no. You don't have to be entirely responsible for everyone else's problems, but you do have to have to enable them to find their own way, just like everyone else here in the college world.

It wasn't that long ago, but I would tell myself that it will be okay. You will have your ups and downs, but you will always have friends who are there for you. Don't give up or freak out, just keep going. Push through the hardships and the emotions, you are going to have days that are going to suck completely, but don't worry, dinner makes everything better. Keep your options open, don't get overly attached to anything, because nothing is going to work out like you think it should. Remember to laugh, it truly is the best medicine, and keep that chin up. Keep an open heart and an open mind, but remember to keep it protected and safe from being hurt. I would tell myself to be myself, don't be afraid to get to know people, they aren't what you make them out to be. Remember to set aside time for friends and the litte things. Get to know the people around you, it's amazing what they know and you don't. Take nothing for granted. Toughen up and talk to that guy and get to know him better.

Lori

I would tell myself to not wait until the second semester of the senior year to start applying to colleges. I would also tell myself that it is normal to be nervous about the transition to college because it is a big step and something new. The good thing is that after a few days, you get used to college life and are no longer nervous. I would advice myself to get a mattress pad because the bed may be uncomfortable, and be open with regards to food selection in the cafeteria. I would also tell myself that the class schedule in college is more flexible than in high school and that is a huge benefit. Also, I would tell myself to pray for a good roommate. It helps to get along with your roommate. I am blessed to have a good roommate. Also, I would tell myself that it is ok to ask the professor for help when you need it, or even to see a tutor. It is the key to success in college.

Don't worry about the transition to college. Yeah, I know you're comfortable in high school right now. You've got your circle of friends, and it's a good circle. But you'll end up breaking alliances with most of them anyway, with the exception of a couple. Don't worry, no tiffs. But you're going to grow as a person, and change, and so will your friends. You'll realize you don't have the same things in common after awhile. It'll be a smooth transition in the friend department; you won't even realize it's happening until it's over. And as for the college workload? Heads up. Everything they've told you in high school is true: college classes are harder, they're more work. But they're more rewarding. And you'll never feel that you aren't being challenged enough. Sorry I can't quite speak for the full four years; I'm only a junior now. Just hang in there.

justin

I would tell myself to not put off college, the transition is easy. the advice i would give myself would be to focus on class and try not to be late for any classes

Although reluctant to attend a private college, do it. It will be the best decision you ever make.

Airianna

If I were to go back in time and some how change what I started as being a college student I would have to tell myself to always have a back up plan. I say this because I always knew I wanted to go to The University of Findlay for their Pre- Veterinary Medicine program, and I was accepted to go but I had some health issues that drop into my life which kind of changed everything I've planned for my life. I had to take a u-turn in my life and start all over because I had no back-up plans for my life if something where to change my plan A. Now that I'm on track and am going to the closes online college closes to the University of Findlay so when I do get my whole life back in track I can take the program i've been waiting on taking since I was five years old. And yeas I do have two back-up plans if I unfortunately can not make my dream college. its not because I'm not accepted beacuse I have a place, it would be because of my health.

Ramiro

I would tell myself to assist Camp Zenith, that way I could meet important people on the school board and that way I'd have people to go to for help. I also would tell myself on this site to apply for scholarship, making it easier to pay off my education. I probably would also tell myself to stay less time in Mexico after graduation, that way I'd start college a lot sooner.

Yuvette

I would say "Yuvette when you get to OC you need to get out of your shell and meet new people. Don't hide away in your dorm room tell one of your few friends drag you out of it. Make the most out of your college years by trying new things, joining clubs, just have fun with life. DO NOT neglect your studing. Its easier to study a little every day rather than the night before. Try to get to know your profesors and try to make an impression on them as well you're going to need recomdation letters from them later on. Do not forget to talk to your family either by phone calls or written letters. Last but not least try to get a down stairs dorm room moving stuff up stairs is tire some"

Antonio

Come in with an open mind and prepared to face a lot of things you have never experienced. You will grow intellectually,emotionally, and personally. Pretty much, be prepared for anything and try everything and anything that will bring you to the top!

Corrie

Dear Corrie, Your college transition will be much different than most. Mom's cancer will come back within your first few weeks of school. You'll be having a great time, adjusting well, with excellent grades, until you get the call. Then everything will change. But don't worry, sweetheart. You've been taught to be strong and faithful, and you show that to your friends, your professors, and everyone else when Mom passes away at Christmas. Don't cry now, sweetie. You'll do that much, much more as the months pass. Spend all the time with Mom that you can, now. Let her help you prepare (she really does know what she's talking about), and don't be afraid to take as many pictures and videos of the two of you that you want. Go shopping with her to pick out all of your dorm stuff, and let her help you study even more than you probably need to. (It will be good practice for the future.) Learn how to balance emotion, homework, and friends. These skills will be very helpful as your life starts, as bumpy as it may be. You can do it, Corrie

This is a question I think about often. Like they say, "Hind site is 20/20," and being an experienced student at this point in my life I would say that is true. When I first graduated high-school, I didn't have a care in the world. I was dating the man I knew I would marry and didn't think, at the time, my education was important. I slacked off my first two years of college and made mediocre to poor grades. I quit school to become a wife and a mother. Fifteen years later I have returned to school with a vengence. I am now motivated to succeed beyond anyone could have ever imagined. I currently work very hard to make straight A's but will not graduate with a 4.0 because of my previous track record. So, needless to say, I would tell my high-school self, "Take school seriously, it is easier to do without the responsibilities of being a mother and a wife. You are a smart, independent young lady who has been given the gift to care. Get your degree and do what you have been called to do."

You could build a house with the college mail you've received and you're so stressed about your college decision you're hardly sleeping. The school you want to attend is out of the question because of finances and the one you never wanted to even visit is looking like your only option. You hate the idea since it's so far from everything you know and you're fairly certain Oklahoma is full of tumbleweed and cowboy hats (which, it turns out, is not too far from the truth). Relax, because you're going to love it. I know you don't believe me now, but the friends you will make here will change your life. The study abroad program will change your career plans. You will be challenged and mentored, betrayed and loved, all in a few crazy years. So stop putting so much pressure on yourself to choose the perfect school. You'll have to push yourself, but you will be able to handle it. Throw the college mail away, grab some peppermint tea, and let the tension melt away. You're not just going to survive college; you're going to thrive.

Shera

I would definitely tell myself to take studying more seriously. I slacked some on studying in high school and my first couple years of school. I did alright, but I could have done much better. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships because I know I could have received more and I regret the amount of loans that I have today because I decided not to "waste time" applying for scholarships

If I were to go back and talk to my senior year self, I would talk to myselft about the priorities. I would tell myself about how I need to be more attentive in class. Sounds basic, but towards the end of the school year, I tended to slack off because I was about to graduate soon. I feel that during that time, I seemed to lose some knowledge that really could have helped me during my freshmen year in college. Another important thing I would mention to myself is to take more college credit courses. I came to Oklahoma Christian University with twelve hours of college credit. That was really nice because that is almost a semesters worth of classes. The reason I would tell myself this is because my high school offered many more college course that I really should have taken advantage of. I feel that if I would have taken more college credit courses, I would have a better since of the challenging courses in college and that I would have a better start of my college experience.

Jourdan

I would tell myself to make sure to visit all of the campuses because you know where you belong.

Don't let fear of the unknown get the best of you. I have always been timid at trying new things and meeting new people, because that means I have limited control over what could happen, which scares me. But every time I try something new, it always works out for the best in the end. College is one big, new experience, and it has been the greatest time of my life. I would love my high school senior self to know to just go for it, don't let fear hold you back from anything.

Dear High School Me, Congrats, but first thing's first: you DON'T know it all like you think you do. Therefore, don't go into college with an ego larger than your dorm room (which are tiny). Also, too many people try to plan their life out as soon as they start college but forcing yourself into a major just to have one won’t benefit you. Find your passion and follow it. Don’t pick a major just because of the future pay; money NEVER compensates for happiness. I know you're interested in being social, but don't get involved in too much. Although D is for diploma, that's all you'll have for the rest of your life if you don't time manage. Be open-minded, social seculison is "so" high school, and you are "so" not high school anymore. Good luck and don't give up, I promise it's worth it. Sincerely, Older-wiser you.

Making new friends is an exciting parts of college. It's important to meet people who have similar interests as you. However, it is important that you don't limit yourself on the types and number of friends you have. Don't be satisfied with just a handful of friends, not even trying to get to know more people. Don't just settle on the minimum and think that you need to just make enough friends to keep people from thinking you're a complete loner. Make friends with as many people as you come into to contact with if possible. Especially focus on befriending people in your major. When homework get too tough to work through alone, there is no one more helpful and encouraging than the people who have to do the same work. The people in your major will become close friends without you and you'll be left outside the pack. You'll feel left out and your grades WILL suffer. The longer you wait to become more than just ocassional study partners with people in your major, but friends as well, the harder it will be to get their attention when you really need it.

Knowing what I know now about college, I don't think I could give myself any better advice than to focus more on my parent's advice. My parents always told me, "It's not about just being apart of society, it's about making an effort to excel within society". Those few words mean a lot to me now. They help make up my drive and motivation to excel in everything I do. I thank God everyday for instilling the quality of ambition in me. Because ambition is priceless, it's something that runs in your veins. I WILL graduate from college one day in hopes to chase my dream of becoming a lawyer. I WILL always keep my parent's advice in the back of my mind throughtout my journey along the way. I WILL make them proud and I WILL excel within our society.

Take classes that will challenge you now while the support system is there for you. College is harder than high school; don’t assume that the easiness of high school is going to transfer into college. The more prepared you get yourself now the better of and more prepared you will be for college. Going on to the next level of education can give you the opportunity to better yourself and your situation, but it will only due that if you work hard and focus on your goals. There are many distractions that will be there to fall into, but they can be avoided if you have your eye on the prize. You’re as smart as you want to be, don’t let situations that require work deter you. Be what you want to be, just fight for it.

Do not slack off or get "senioritis." This is the worst slump to come out of. It will eventually turn in to freshmanitis and, well, plain laziness. You will end up so stressed out and sick to your stomach at all times if you do not change that now.

Annah

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice it would be to slow down. I graduated from high school as the Salutatorian and one complete year early at the age of 16. When I came to college, while I was excited and challenged I can see that there is nothing better than the years we have as teens. When you come to college your organization skills, personal task, and ability to manage everything yourself must be great, I believe that I would give myself the advice of staying in school and working on those things before coming to college and expericening all of those transitions at one time.

I know this sounds cliche, but study hard. You know you can do it. Put in the effort and make this time worth something. IT WILL PAY OFF! You will immediately test out of several classes if you do better now. Doing well and getting good grades now will save you time and money in college. Also, take a speech class and get over your fear. You will have to take speech class, and even after that you will have to give presentations. They never go away. Listen to your parents, they have been throught this so they know what they are talking about. That is the most important advice. They know more than you, and they know what is best for you. DOn't doubt them, they will be right 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the time. No matter how hard things seem now, push through it because it is definitely worth to go to college.

Chase

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships so that I would not be paying so much for my private college tuition. I would also tell myself to do better on the ACT because Oklahoma Christian offers a different scholarships according how high your score on the ACT was.

Go where you want, regardless of your parents' opinion. Be bold, be confident, choose music over art but continue with typography. Date more freely - you learn a lot about yourself. Be honest with and kind to Cormac. Travel more. Save more money. Don't buy so many clothes. Laugh more often. Discipline your mind.

Lindi

I would tell myself that it's okay to take life by the horns and try new things. I would tell myself that I would regret not meeting as many people as I could and that it's okay to like to play video games because everyone on campus does, too.

Dear 16 year-old Jordan, This is a letter to you from freshmen in college you. On a side note, please do not wear the green sweater again. It is a bad decision. Alright, now to the important things. First off, do not date anymore! Trust me, even though he is really, really cute, dating in high school is dumb. It will not work out and you have more important things to worry about besides boys. Pay attention in class! I know that economics is the worst class in the world, but one semester of an awful class in high school will save you alot of trouble in the same semester-long class in college. It is cool in college to be a nerd and make good grades. Go ahead and start now. It is uncool to fail out of school. Eat less bad food. You can eat all that bad food in high school and be fine, however the second you go to enrollement at college something geneticly changes and that freshmen 15 is alot easier to gain than you think. Remember that Mom is a lot smarter than you give her credit. Listen to her. Stay Sweet.

Considering I was a senior in high school 20 years ago, I feel that the wisdom I could give my self is immeasurable. To begin with, I would assure my former self that holding off on college is the best decision for me. At 18, I was certainly not focused or disciplined enough for college; I definitely was thinking straight when I took that into consideration. As for beginning college 19 years after high school while married and raising 3 children, I would stress to my high school self that the transition is not only more difficult than the transition made by my classmates that went directly on to college but that there is certainly more pressure and more work involved. The responsibilities I have in my late thrities are greater and more important than those in my late teens. I would stress that when considering my future college plans, to keep this in mind. Most importantly, I would assure myself that although I end up taking a different route than most, I will end up succeeding in all that I take on!

Protecting myself is something I've always been good at: preparing my heart to leave so I won't miss my family too much, opening my personality over the top so I won't be lonely. I'm always living so my heart won't be broken. Sometimes that's a good thing, but other times it's not. That's why, if I were able to go back and tell my senior self some piece of advice, I'd tell myself to not be so afraid of being broken. College is about living and trying new things, not about focusing only on getting extremely good grades. I'd tell myself to make time for fun and being social. Grades are important, but I always strive for academic excellence. I need to take time and cultivate relationships; get to know people who will change me. This is a time to trust, and though I hate it, be broken. When one lets oneself be vulnerable, only then will one be able to truly live and make the mistakes that the spirit will learn and eventually grow from.

Valerie

Having moved so much in my life, I was scared to stay somewhere for longer than half a year, and a 4 year college just seemed intimidating! But I would give my younger self a hug and say, "It's good to grow roots sometimes. The seed that floats through the air has to land some time and give itself nourishment from its environment. Oh, and don't trip when you go up the stairs to receive your diploma."

I want you to know that a little extra effort could make huge improvements, weather it be academically, socially or spiritually. You must be willing to go seek and accept the help that is all around you. You must be willing to reach for the stars and not be complacent when you fall short. Keep that hunger and the desire you have now to be as successful as you can. Believe me, it is hard to get you self back up from a stumble, but it can be done. You can do it. You also must remember to keep your priorities straight and not forget those who are important to you. Keep God close to your heart, because without God working in your life, you may find yourself lost one day. Lastly, have fun! These should be some of the greatest times in your life. You have so much potential to be anything you set you mind to. Go and conquer the world! It's literally at your fingertips. So reach out, grab it, and never let go.