Oklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oklahoma City University

Victoria

The School of Dance and the School of Music are the most impressive and well-known departments at my school. They are also highly respected in the performing arts community. Both the Dance and Music schools have produced stars in theatre and television. Many great classical musicians have come from the School of Music. If you have a degree in music from Oklahoma City University, you already have a good reputation in the music industry.

Looking back on my last year of high school, I am surprised that I survived. I was in a constant state of panic because of college essays, application deadlines, financial aid; the list goes on and on. After being rejected from the first three schools I applied to, I was positive that I was just not going to go to college. I could see my life in ten years, without a degree and working at a fast food restaurant. As I said, I was panicked. If I could go back in time I would have told myself to chill out and enjoy my final year of high school. If there is one thing that I have learned since beginning college it is that nothing is so important that it should prevent you from enjoying your life. The first day of school I was equally terrified. What if I had made the wrong choice? There was no need to worry. I am at the perfect school for me. If there is one thing I wish I knew my senior year, it is that things will always work out. I wish I had known that I could relax.

The cafeteria is less than impressive. The meal plans are excessively expensive. It is always hard to find something healthy to eat. I often go to dinner and end up eating cereal instead of any of the prepared meals. In addition, the hours are terrible. Students often have rehearsals that keep them busy most of the night, but dinner is only offered for two hours.

Holli

Intelligent, diverse, friendly, fun, unique

Intelligent, diverse, friendly, fun, unique

I would tell myself to study for and try to get a higher ACT score to increase my chances for more financial aid. I would tell myself to remember to ehibited my best efforts at the beginning of the semester so that I would be less stressed by the end of the semester. I would also stress the importance of studying at numerous intervals versus cramming for a test the night before. I would warn myself about fraternity boys and the consequences of the party scenes. I found that frat boys like to prey on nieve freshman. Lastly, and most importantly, I would tell myself to value each moment of this unique experience because it goes by too fast.

The high quality of education, small classes, dedicated professors, activities available, and sense of a small and close community.

Kristen

Very friendly and driven. They are here to learn but they are also know how to have fun and have a good time.

The campus is diverse and opens your eyes to different cultures and ways of living. Also, everyone is extremely friendly. Fellow students will smile and greet you even though you might not know them.

The transition for high school to college is one of the most difficult yet exciting transitions you will probably face in your life. Going into college, there are many challenges you will face. Teachers are not as lenient about assignments and there is much more outside work that is required of you. By staying focused and learning to be a good manager of your time, you will be able to succeed in college and have fun while doing it. College does not have to be all learning all the time. You have to be open to different experiences. There is not only learning going on in the classroom but outside in the real world as well. Try and get involved as much as your schedule allows you because that is where you will learn more practical and life knowledge. By being able to balance your academic and social life, you will succeed in college.

Leslie

My school is a fully accredited private Methodist University.

My school is a fully accredited private Methodist University.

Don't we all wish we knew in high school what we know now. I would definitely take a deep breath and go with the flow. I spent so much time worrying about what major to pursue and how to hold down a full time job while studying that I forgot to enjoy the college experience. It took me many years to finally decide that nursing was the career for me. If I would've been exposed to more career opportunities in high school then I might have chose nursing as my career right away. The best advice I could give to my former high school self is to not let opportunites pass me by because my head is buried in a book. Enjoying life is a key element to success. You can still study and make A+ grades but don't forget to enjoy the ride.

The worst thing about my current University is the cost of tuition. I chose Oklahoma City University because they have an accelerated program for my bachelor's in nursing, however, it costs over $13,000 per semester to attend. I moved back to Oklahoma, my homestate, to save money while going for my second bachelor's.

I went to this school because I thought my mom wanted me to go there. I would tell myself to try to make the college decision based on what I wanted to do, not to try to please others. By leaving OCU I am losing my scholarship. I was offered a Academic Scholarship from ASU but because I did not go first semester of my freshman year they will not give it back to me. This puts me in the position to pay for most of my schooling myself. My advice to myself as a senior would be to spend time at the college I think I want to attend. To really get a feel for the what the school has to offer, and what the city has to offer. I have told my friends that have been offered in-state scholarships to think very carefully about going out-of-state. If they are sure of the school and program then great. If not, once you go somewhere else you will lose your in-state scholarship. It has been a hard life lesson for me to learn! Going out -of-state is hard and is not the best for everyone.

Well, I will be transferring to ASU in the Fall. This school was not for me. It would be great for someone that wants a small school experience. You can get to know people easy because it is so small. It is easy to get around because it is so small. Everything is right outside your dorm which is great. It has very small classes which some people really like.

I did not think there was much to do there. The weather is cold so if you are from a warm state you may not like it. To me it did not feel lik I was in college, more like a private high school. Their tap program is really good but I think their jazz is really old school. Sometimes I felt like I was doing things I did when I was five.

Brittney

If I could relive highschool, I would have gotten a head start on filling out scholarships and my FAFSA. I realize now that I could have paid almost nothing for my schooling if I had not procrastinated so much. I wished i'd had more patience in high school to deal with all the paper work and stress college brings about. Putting off filling out simple papers, checking emails, turning in transcripts, and talking with advisors led me to where I am now, just looking for more scholarships to pay for my schooling. Although, I was lost in the college process as a high school senior, I should have given more effort to figure things out. Since I have been in college, I work things out as soon as I notice them so I won't procrastinate and/or forget about them. If I could go back, I'd tell myself to get a head start on everything dealing with the college process including: scholarships, FAFSA, transcripts, test scores, online forms, housing, applications, etc.. I'd apply for all the money I could recieve, so I wouldn't be stressed as a first time freshman.

my school is close-knit and convenient. It's a small campus, and the class rooms are small so you actually get one-on-one time with your professors. Your professors know you by name, and genuinely care about your success. You also have a close group of friends; everyone knows everyone. There is hardly any traffic around campus either. These are just a few of the benefits of attending a small school.

Oklahoma City University is a diverse campus. You can find any type of person here. If I were to pick out a certain type of person, I'd say the slacker, one who doesn't want to obtain a degree in the first place. If your that much of a slacker, you won't survive here at OCU. The teacher expectations are high for this private school. You won't fly through any course without putting in effort. It's unrealistic; you must have work ethic to succeed.

Nathan

If I could go back and tell myself about the transition to college, I would say that you have to know what you want and be willing to go above all expectation that you have for yourself and the one's people have for you as well. Also, I would say watch your friends, have a well balance of studding, hanging out with friends and being active in organization on campus. In addition, take a chance on something new be willing to hurt for what you want; be willing to follow your heart and gut. Furthermore, I would tell myself it?s not going to be easy stay focused maintain a good Grade point Average (GPA). Moreover, be willing to make friends who don?t look like you who have different thoughts and beliefs than yours. I would also tell myself understand you professors and build relationship with them for the letter of recommendation letter.

The person who should attend this school is someone who knows what he or she wants in life. Whom is not scared to express them selfs in anyway shape or fashion.also ii would say the peoson has to be willing to work hard and go the rigors of long study hours.

I would say that it is thelevel of focus. students are very focus and in there carrer path that they tend to not enjoy the other people around them thats in there learning enviroment.

I would tell myself to never let anyone or anything get in the way of what I want to do. Going to college has been one of the best things to happen to me. It's so easy to be hard on yourself in such a cut-throat industry, but you HAVE to push through. You HAVE to get through the tough times to get to the reward, which for me is as simple as getting to compose music and share my emotions and views through that music. So many people have amazing potential and talent, and yet they waste it. They don't realize what they could give back to the world, to people who need hope and motivation. I'm not saying I'm perfect at what I do. I have so much to learn but I've come to realize that I'm the only one who can make my dreams possible. Without my efforts and my passion I wouldn't be where I am. No matter what anyone tells you, don't give up on your dreams. They're what you live for. And I won't leave this world without giving my all.

It's rather small which allows teachers to know their students on a personal level.

Someone not looking for a crazy college atmosphere. There is an active social side to the school, but many of the students are very driven and interested in what they are doing and focus on obtaining as much knowledge and information as they can while they're here at school.

Jake

OCU is a small school; which has its benefits and demerits. There is a feeling of family here; everyone knows everyone. The downside is everyone knows everyone's business. While the school has about 4,000 students, only half of them are undergraduates. This small group is very active in everything but sports. The sports teams here rarely have crowd and the basketball homecoming and graduation are the only times Freede is full. The student are very active in the artistic and political arenas. The dance department puts on three Broadway style shows that rival the city's dance show, all playing multiple days and selling out. Students look forward to the year's musicals, plays, operas, and concerts. Students rallied around gay rights after Westborough Baptist Church came to protest the performance of "The Laramie Project". The students also convinced the Student Government Association to set up a scholarship for students after they felt the funds from a student project went to the wrong project. The campus is close to Downtown Oklahoma City and Western Avenue.

At more than $33,000 dollars a year, the university is definitely going to attract some rich kids. The truth though, is that like all private schools they give out millions in scholarships; the university gives out numerous "full rides" to Methodist ministers' children, employees children, and students from under-represented schools. That being said luxury cars and sorority girls willing to drop $300+ on whim are not uncommon. Many students wear more than one hat. The school prides it self on recruiting leaders so over-committed students are a by-product. It is easier to get into leadership roles here because of the small school size. The school is more than 60% female and has a large performing arts program. Homosexuals are kinda run of the mill but by no means the majority or even close.

Classes are small at OCU and all of your classes are taught by real professors. The requirements are confusing but they do allow for flexibility. Many majors already require so much of students, that they have taken issue with the administrators and pushed for gen. ed. requirements to be reformed and made easier. Many classes require large scale semester long projects. The religion requirements are actually eye-opening and beneficial. The departments are small but this allows students to have more time with professors. Students seem to be studying all the time and intellectual conversations happen all the time in the "caf".

The Student Goverment Association which includes the Student Activities Committee is very popular and hosts the biggest events on campus. The largest regular organizations are the five Greek organizations: Lambda Chi Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, and Alpha Chi Omega. The fraternities are both very strong, however most guys live on campus. The sororities are even stronger with three organizations, although they do not have residential houses. The Multicultural Student Association, which is made up minorities and foreign students, is popular as well. In addition to this most nationalities have their own smaller organizations, as well as the minorities. Now that Centennial Hall has been added more students live on campus. The SGA puts on numerous events per week. The schools alcohol policy means that most parties take place off campus. Evening events are often going downtown or small dorm parties.

Some of the most prevalent stereotypes about OCU students is that we are all rich. The nickname for the school is Over Committed University. An un PC stereotype is that OCU has a plethora of gay men.

Nearly half of the students are from out-of-state. Many are Methodist but all religions are accepted here. The liberal arts curriculum with a focal on the performing arts attracts quite a few liberals. As mentioned before gays and lesbians are accepted on campus, and well monied kids are quite present. Minorities, among traditional undergrads, are not very present however. The graduate student population has a sizable number of East Asian and Middle Eastern students. Students do mix well together though. Dress depends on the class level and the school.

Jarred

OCU is a pretty small school, but the saying "you're a name not a number" is true. The classes are small enough that you'll always get a good seat. The professors are really accessible and know your name. You meet new people in the caf all the time and just around because student s are pretty friendly here. OCU has expanded so much in the last few years, it amazes me. The University Center is way cooler than the first time I toured the school, the cafeteria, or caf, has been completely remodeled. Alvin's, the cafe downstairs, just got a pool table and a shuffleboard table and now even more people are there. The Wanda Bass Music School is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city, the gorgeous soaring atrium hold a lot of dinners and special events. The Meinder's School of Business is state of the art and the classrooms are spacious and filled with technology. The library also had a renovation and the first floor looks a lot better. Sports seems as if they're non-existent here. The focus is on the arts and the school is NAIA, so the sports teams, while excellent get left out. President Tom McDaniel is retiring in the summer and will truly be missed. He and his wife Brenda are ever-present on campus. They visit the caf, frequent walk around campus, attend shows , and even invite groups of students to their house for "OCU Chats". The other administrators are extremely friendly and helpful. Fortunately and unfortunately OCU is the heart of Oklahoma City (the capital city), so life does not revolve around OCU. There is a not a college town atmosphere surrounding the campus. The area surrounding the campus is not unsafe, but definitely not the most savory part of town; the food and art scene in the area are among the best in the state. Students often go downtown to Bricktown to go clubbing, eating, or to the movies. During the week you won't need to leave much or move your car. Everything you will probably need is campus including a clinic The entire campus takes 15 minutes to walk, slowly. All of the school is in one location. The caf and Alvin's are centrally located.

Give yourself time to adjust if you're from a big school. Find out the real deal about your program from students. If you want to see something happen at OCU look at your self. Most of all step outside your comfort zone.

We have all those types of people but there are people from all walks of life at OCU.

The professors know your name, even in intro classes. There are multiple sections every semester of the biggest gen eds so you won't miss them (the opposite is true of some of your upper level major classes). The professors teach the class themselves, and there are no teacher's assistants. Some of the general education requirements are trite, but others like Dan May's World Religions class are excellent. I enjoy my departments: the Mass Comm, Mgmt, and Spanish departments are all easy to work with. I prefer the new tech-filled business building to plain old Walker but the resources like the Mass Comm only Mac lab are excellent. I like the fact that OCU's Broadcast department gets you involved quicker than some of the larger programs. In my first full semester in the program I was filming television shows. The arts programs aren't cake-walks. My music school friends live in the "Bass" and often complain about how hard theory is. The dance school is notorious for "owning your life". In order to make room for weekend evening events, I've had to ask students to study elsewhere. I've engaged in hour long philosophy discussion in the cafeteria.

There is a club for just about everything here; and if there isn't you can make one. I've meet most of my friends through the different clubs I've been a part of. I especially enjoy Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature where students go to the capitol to simulate government. Delta Alpha Chi, or DAX, is the local mens Christian service fraternity and give guys a way to make great friends, grow spiritually and serve others. SAC and SGA, the activity planning and student government groups, put on most of the big events on campus. Free Movie Night at a downtown theater happens most months and draws a big crowd. Homecoming is full of fun traditions the biggest being Lip Sync, a funny prerecorded satirical skit about pop culture, OCU, and the Homecoming theme. The performing arts are a big deal here. Many weekends revolve around around popular plays, dance shows or operas. Greek life is pretty big at OCU. About a fifth of the campus is Greek; the fraternities and sororities are some the largest organizations on campus. The after hours social life is dominated by the Greeks; although the campus is "dry" so they are more discreet than OU keggers. The "after-hours" and "weekend" social scene is pretty small and happens at houses nearby. Other than hanging out with friends there is nothing to do Saturday night that doesn't involve partying. Some just go to the clubs downtown or in Bricktown.

Many people think it's a school just for rich dancers; or that every guy who goes there must be a theater major and gay

Students come from all over the world actually. Most of the students, its seems have never even been to Oklahoma. I've meet people I never thought I'd hang out with. The foreign students often host festivals and sell or give away food; the carnivals are popular with many students. There is a pretty sizable gay population that is pretty open and vocal. There aren't an abundance of American minorities but I think our voices are heard and that students are excepted.

Oklahoma City University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.