Oklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oklahoma City University

Maurice

"To thine own self be true." This is one of the most important pieces of advice that Polonius offers to his son Laertes in "Hamlet", and to me, is the most crucial for anyone. Knowing who you are will determine your entire college experience, and if you do not possess that knowledge, you can become easily lost and without an identity or friends. Being true to who you are allows you to be comfortable and at ease with the decisions you make for yourself. It also shows others that no matter what happens, your actions and thoughts will be honest. By being true to who you really are, you find others who are like you and form deep, lasting relationships with them. Also, it removes any influence that peer pressure may have, for one who is true to themselves is never swayed by a crowd or easily defeated. Going into college with the knowledge of who you are, and staying truthful to yourself are two concepts no student should leave home without, for those that do are ill-prepared and ill-equipped to handle and conduct themselves in a collegiate atmosphere.

People who enjoy a liberal, free-thinking atmosphere, as well as a strong sense of community and purpose will do well at OCU.

I brag about how involved our professors are, and how helpful and accesible they are.

kristina

Don't stress out, stay calm and give yourself the chance to rule the world.

Don't stress out, stay calm and give yourself the chance to rule the world.

I wish I had known to leave history in the past.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is the kind of person who doesn't want to change.

Jordanne

Mostly for our performing arts programs. This includes theatre, dancing, vocal, and instrumental music. Our music building is very competitive and capable. We have very good basketball teams, for both women and men. We also have a women's wrestling team. All these contribute to the fact that we are known for having a higher porportion of homosexuals. The campus is very open to other lifestyles. This is especially comfoting because it is a private, methodist school. The school is very expensive, which is also widely acknoledged.

One of the first things you hear when joing the community at OCU is "Smile at the people you walk by. Don't frown, be happy." It is truely amazing to walk across the lawn of too my classes, and get a smile from nearly every person I see. The school is welcoming, with a very warm atmosphere. I also "trust" OCU's greek life more than I trust those at other schools. I know my sisters won't contribute to any hazing activites. I know my sisters care about my well-being.

I choose Oklahoma City University because I knew the campus. In high school, I lived in a nearby suburb of Oklahoma City, and during the week I would travel to the university for my music lessons and rehearsal with an extracurricular orchestra. I knew the professors and a few of the students prior to my admittance, which made the transition much easier for me. Going to Oklahoma City felt like coming home. I believe that knowing a campus is an important factor in choosing the right college. When I finally got to college, I immediately immersed myself in the student organized Steel Drum band and Greek life. Theses activities made meeting other students very easy and fun. With these outlets, I had a gig to perform once a month and sisters to help me with homework whenever I needed it. Finding a way to have fun and social support are important ingredients to making the most of the college experience.

Andy

The school is most known for its dance program as well as its music program.

The school is most known for its dance program as well as its music program.

Try to figure out what it is that you would like to focus on. Science, math, dance, whatever it is you want to do. Then go visit several campuses if you can and ask to see those departments that interest you. Speak to students that you see. Do not simply rely on the tour guide to answer all of your questions. Remember, a university is a business and they are going to put a positive spin on everything. Be sure that you do your research and really know what kind of school you are going to.

The school is very centered on money, if you do not have a lot of it you are not treated very well. The more money you have to give the school, the better you are treated and the quicker any problems you have are taken care of.

Alaina

Being a liberal arts university.

Being a liberal arts university.

Find the school that fits you, the student, best academically and socially. You don't want to spend the next four years of your life stuck in some dorm room studying alone. It is way more fun to study in a group and know people in your class. Also having friends keeps you from getting homesick. I would also advise students to go with their gut in choosing a college or university to attend. If it feels right to you, it probably is the right school for you. Once you've found the school for you it is important to get involved. There are so many times I wish I would've joined a certain group and didn't. You only get to go to college once (graduate school doesn't count because you're an "adult") so live it up. That doesn't mean going to a party every night or weekend. Freshman year will be the hardest because high school is so different. After you figure the "college thing" out, sophomore year will ROCK! Just remember to find the balance.

Laura

You are pushed to do your best every day

You are pushed to do your best every day

Take your time in finding the right college for you. Don't limit your possibilities to just outside your home town on the basis of financial need or hesitancy. Lots of schools are willing to help with financial aid if they can see that you really want to be there. After all, the degree is about you chasing your dreams. If you want to fly one day, you can't hesitate at the beginning, you have to get a running start. Even if your dreams take you half way around the world, know that you can get there if you truly believe you can and people are always willing to help enthusiastic and passionate individuals. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and make friends in a new state because, lets face it, all freshmen are in the same boat: moving out for the first time, making their own decisions for the first time, and living their own life for the first time. If you want to reach your goals, there is no better place to start than college. So go for it.

someone who is only interested in partying and goofing off.

Maurice

Prospective students should visit as many different types of colleges as possible, especially on school days in order to see how student life really is. Parents should ensure that their prospective student has as much knowledge as possible about schools they are looking at, especially regarding dorm life, because a poor living situation makes for a poor study area. Also, visiting the libraries and computer labs are especially important because that should hopefully be where their student will be spending a majority of their time. However, Greek life and other social organizations should be researched as well, because fraternities and sororities are fast ways to make life-long friends and a great way to establish a support system. Basically, both the parent and student should discover as much as possible about potential schools and make the choice together.

Oklahoma City University is one of the most diverse places in terms of culture that I have ever been. People from all walks of life and every differing political view reside here, and to me, Oklahoma City University is a veritable melting pot for cultures, opinions, and people. People at this school are slow to judge others, and accept everyone with open arms. This has helped me to become more open with other people, and appreciate the individuality that resides in everyone.

I wish I had known to be more open to new people and new experiences. Some of my best friends now are people that I either didn't like or didn't want to hang around at the very beginning of school, just because I prematurely judged them. Now I know to be more open and to not pre-judge people and situations before I experience them.

Carrie

Please do your research when looking into colleges. Talk to the current students, freshman and seniors. Try and get the best feel for the school that you can - not just what the university tries to sell you on. Have fun while in school but don't neglect your school-work. It's great to have a good time, but it's better to have a degree.

People who are not focused should not attend this school. In order to succeed and graduate from this college a student HAS GOT to be focused.

The Dance Department accepts only 8% of all applicants - not only was I accepted, I graduated. Not only did I graduate, I graduated with honors despite what the head of the department may have thought about my upcoming career.

It's like one huge family. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. The faculty is 100% there for you.

Honestly, when you step on campus you'll just know when it's the right one for you. It just feels right in your gut and everything seems to line up. Focus more on what the college has to offer you as an individual, rather than the scholarship amount. The money will come. As for the actual experience, make it a point to enjoy every moment of it. It flies by so quickly! Get to know lots of people on campus and be open-minded to everything. Stick to your moral values, but listen to other people's point of view as well. Learn all you can and don't be afraid to do something a little crazy every once and a while.

Christopher

Visit as many colleges as you can. Doing this will save you a boatload of trouble in the long run. I visited what was my first-choice college and realized that I REALLY didn't want to attend that particular school, so my second-choice college (after my visit to it) became my first choice. I made great friends there, learned a lot, and met my wife there as well. I am now a professional in my field doing rather well for myself at 23, and I believe that had I not toured, I would have made the wrong choice.

The quality of professors from my school, the Wanda L. Bass School of Music. There are some amazingly first-rate professors there. My vocal teachers were two of the best in the nation as far as I'm concerned. And the faculty are all very friendly and more than willing to help out a student in need.

The dance program. They seem to care very little about how their students are actually doing emotionally in their life. That particular program only cares about the product that it sends out into the world. There is a way to create a great product while caring at the same time. There are some teachers within the department who care, but the head of the program couldn't care less.

Oklahoma City University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.