Oklahoma City University Top Questions

Uyen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are many things I would tell myself. The most important thing I would remind myself is to find a good college that I would like to spend some time at, and work on gathering a lot of small or large scholarships to pay for college. I would tell myself not to spend so much time trying to impress others and just be myself. I would remind myself to save the money I worked for instead of spending it on useless items that I will not be using in the future. I wouldn't forget to tell myself that I need to quit procasinating all my assignment and try to get them done as soon as I can. It's crazy how much I would tell myself in order to ensure that I will have an easier transition from high school to college. Most importantly, I would advise the younger me to not worry about partying too much, and spend more time focusing on bettering myself and creating a stable future.

Laura

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would not be the conventional "work hard" or "get ready for challenges" type of discussion. I was prepared for the music rehearsals and late studying at Oklahoma City University because I had a taste of it in high school and have an older sister. No, I would warn my former self that I would encounter a surprising number of students on a daily basis that, to put it frankly, do not care. As I enter my senior year at OCU as a student that indeed does care about the things I do and the way that I treat people, I realize that the fight to stave off the predominantly negative attitudes and uninitiated behavior of some people will prove to be a sincere effort for the rest of my life. There are other people that also try to do their best to put effort and energy into their pursuits. Yet, negativity always seems to have the stronger pull. Through experience, I now have a trick to combat that negativity: be like a duck, paddling furiously underwater, while floating gracefully up above.

Alex

You aren't going to get into a musical theatre program. You are a stronger actress and that's where you will fall. With that being said, it doesn't mean you aren't talented. You are so talented, and you can't spend the first semester beating yourself up because you can't sing as well as some of your friends. It's okay to feel sad about it, but don't let it get you down, let it bring you up and motivate you to be a better singer. If you ever feel low, go speak to a councilor. DON'T wait until the end of the semester when your friends tell you they don't want to be your friend anymore to seek help. If you feel like giving up on anything, school, friends, pom, etc..... Ask for help. It's okay to ask for help. It makes you strong. You will be strong, and you will overcome the challenge.

Ashley, be proud of what you have accomplished and excited about entering college, but do not be naive about expectations and human behavior. You are a people pleaser and also worry more that you like to admit about what others think of you and this will cause you some sadness during your first semester. Don't worry, it gets better and you will start to find your "college self" and so will others. Understand that people will disappoint you and you will disappoint others, but be quick to forgive and do not hold grudges, they will only cause you pain. People make mistakes, including you and be quick to forgive yourself and not beat yourself up too much. Be happy. Be nice. Be positive. When things don't go your way or seem too tough to overcome, breathe in, breath out and move on (sooner than later). Have high expectations, but make sure they are realistic. Make sure to hug your sister a lot and tell her how much you love her. She is your best friend and you will miss her more than you can even imagine.

Savannah

Throughout my first year at Oklahoma City University, I discovered how valuable prioritizing and time management is. During high school, being Student Class President while maintaining my 3.2 GPA and All-State cheerleading, was easy. Despite of what many respected individuals told me, I continued to assume college would merely be a tad bit harder than high school due to lengthier papers and the lack of daily reminders from my professors and parents. If I could, I would show myself how in the midst of my second semester, 8 organizations, 3 shows, and 2 roommates later, I was nearly burnt out. I had failed to make wise decisions when it came down to preparing properly. Although, I finished my first year with a 3.96 GPA, I had trouble deciding to say “No.” when I had too much on my plate, or choosing to get a well-needed 8 hour night of sleep. When I look back, I see an eager girl who didn’t want to miss anything. With maturity, I have realized missing some “things” is a good thing. College can get overwhelming quickly if you don’t know how to prioritize and manage your time wisely.

Miranda

I would first and foremost ask myself "how much do you want this? When I was 18 I was so ready to start my college career and get away that I didn't blink about the fine details; I didn't think about the amount of money I was about to commit myself too. I fell in love HARD with a school then didnt hunt around to see if there were possibly more cost effient schools that I could have equally fallen for. I loved my 4 years at OCU but now having just graduated I look at the student debt that is now looming over me and I can barely catch my breath. Was taking all that money out worth it? I would say its about 50/50. I made amazing friends and met the love of my life but I now feel like I'm tethered down and un able to begin building my grown-up life because of the impending doom of possible default. Do things happen for a reason? Everyone has student debt right? I'd tell my 18 year old self to think really hard about where she wants her life to go. Then leap.

Jacob

Apply for every scholarship no matter how strange it comes across as. You need all the money you can get and it will pay off later. Having the feeling of knowing everything is paid for is well worth all the time and effort it takes to apply for these scholarships, and then you can devote all of your focus to your passion instead of working two on-campus jobs to fight to pay for college.

Priscilla

Out of my college experience so far I have learned that in order to get good grades I need to study at least an hour a day after attending the class. I have also learned that attendence is important even though you cannot get into trouble with the school if you don't attend class, but only with yourself. Being in college has also taught me great independence. I find my classes on my own, choose when to go on my own, choose when to study on my own. Allmost 85{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the time I am making my own decisions in college. Since i've been attending college I have been a more productive member of society and have transformed from a teenager to a young adult as I find my own way to support myself and my own way to find out what I need to do in order to become a more successful citizen. I also believe my skills such as writing and math have gone way up since going to high school and living at home. College doesn't just make you smarter, it pushes us as individuals to become more independent and responsible.

Margaret

Besides gaining more knowledge in my field of study, going to college has lead me to really find myself out. Being in college here has helped me become more independent and find out who I really am and develop my own political and moral views in the world. Since this school is a liberal arts school, I have been taught in many different areas besides just science. It has helped open my eyes to all my other choices and gives me more options for a career. Going to college is not just going to be more beneficial for someone financially in the future, but it is a key life experience every young adult should go through to discover themselves.

The first two reasons I chose this colleger were the fact they are the only college in Oklahoma to offer a Bachelor's Degree in Film Production, not just Film Studies, and the fact that my mentor Fritz Kiersch is the Department Advisor. Mr. Kiersch has been an invaluable teacher for me and has helped encourage me to follow my dream career despite my older age than most of the other students. Thanks to him and the students I attend classes with I feel like a vital and creative person that has something to contribute to our society. Everyday I get to go to classes puts a smile on my face that does not evaporate until my head hits the pillow at the end of a full day of learning. A Bachelor's Degree will get me into the life and career I have always wanted and after attending this college for only one year it has made me wonder about a second career. I may go beyond a Bachelor's Degree so I may not only work in the film community but also teach college students who want to live the same dream I am working on now.

Joshua

I have gotten many things out of my college experience. It has been valuable to me socially, it has helped me learn how to be independent, it has helped me to be responsible, it has given me the chance to learn many programs that will help me in my major, it has given me a chance to be careful financially and learn how to use the money I am entrusted with, and has allowed me to go on field trips to companies so that I can see what is expected of me in my career field. I would like to be helped as much as possible financially so that I can continue my learning at OCU. I think that my time there will help me gain valuable life experience.

Ericka

Here at Oklahoma City University, I have grown to discover myself. Oklahoma City University is not like any other University; there is a strong diverse background, professors that do care how you are feeling and staying caught up with class, unique friends you would not be able to meet anywhere else and a history of excellence and pride towards the success of the University along with the individuals that have graduated here. Without Oklahoma City University, I would not have had the many opportunities I have been blessed with, nor would I have left home to spread my wings to grasps all aspects of life.

shara

I've gotten a better sense of awareness of myself including: respect, dignitiy, value, and most importantly knowledge. I have never known the greater feeling of actually absorbing all the material presented and passing an exam with flying colors. Getting good grades proved to me that I can do anything I put my heart and mind to. It doesnt matter what other negative things people say about me, I am an intelligent single mother who can make all dreams possible for myself and my 4-year-old son. I can't see myself doing anything else but learning. My B.S. degree will be the beginning of my promising future, and it doesnt stop there. I do this all for my beautiful son, Kameron.

Jacob

My college experience has helped me grow as a person. I came from New Jersey and went to Oklahoma, and fell in love with the people in Oklahoma. I have many more positive views on groups that I did not have before and I am more accepting of people and their differences. I have developed great leadership experience as well while attending college. College has allowed me to be more responsible and more dedicated to making a difference. My whole life I have been somewhat of individual, on my own I guess you could say, but now I am involved in many groups and many different organizations. I am an active volunteer on and around my campus. College has shown how to interact in the work force, and what I need to do to be successful. Without my college experience here at Oklahoma City University, I do not think I would be the person I am today. I am very greatful for coming to Oklahoma City University and would do it all over again if I had the chance.

Mi

I have met so many different kinds of people and gotten experiences that are unparalleled to anything I have seen before. I have made wonderful friends that I know will be with me for life, even if we are not in the same location. The alumni are so caring and really seem to outreach to the students still in school. I've begun to feel very confident to graduate next year and know that I will be all right and will have a support system waiting to help me along the way.

leila

I would get into the medical field instead . I got my MBA/IT and it seems waste of time . Now I am going back to school try to get my nursing . something I can pay bills and be productive at all time and anywhere.

Neilee

My advice is this: Be open to new experiences. More than anything, be open. College is about making a fresh start and new memories. In order to do so, you must be adventurous. Do not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone during the transition. That is the best way to develop friendships and grow as a person. In high school, you became set in your ways: you talked to the same people, went to the same classes every day, and then went home. Don't fall into the same pattern now. Open yourself. There is a whole world before you; you must open your heart and let a little of that adventure seep into you. Feel the beauty of the newness. Embrace it. Breathe it in deep and hold it close to your heart. Follow dad's motto -- grab life by the shoulders and give it a good shake! The transition is difficult. Sometimes you will feel like Dorothy, like a tornado swept you up and dumped you in a strange world. But hold on to the strength inside of you. Smile brilliantly, and you'll draw people to you. Have faith in yourself. Adventure is good.

Victoria

Looking back on my last year of high school, I am surprised that I survived. I was in a constant state of panic because of college essays, application deadlines, financial aid; the list goes on and on. After being rejected from the first three schools I applied to, I was positive that I was just not going to go to college. I could see my life in ten years, without a degree and working at a fast food restaurant. As I said, I was panicked. If I could go back in time I would have told myself to chill out and enjoy my final year of high school. If there is one thing that I have learned since beginning college it is that nothing is so important that it should prevent you from enjoying your life. The first day of school I was equally terrified. What if I had made the wrong choice? There was no need to worry. I am at the perfect school for me. If there is one thing I wish I knew my senior year, it is that things will always work out. I wish I had known that I could relax.

Holli

I would tell myself to study for and try to get a higher ACT score to increase my chances for more financial aid. I would tell myself to remember to ehibited my best efforts at the beginning of the semester so that I would be less stressed by the end of the semester. I would also stress the importance of studying at numerous intervals versus cramming for a test the night before. I would warn myself about fraternity boys and the consequences of the party scenes. I found that frat boys like to prey on nieve freshman. Lastly, and most importantly, I would tell myself to value each moment of this unique experience because it goes by too fast.

Kristen

The transition for high school to college is one of the most difficult yet exciting transitions you will probably face in your life. Going into college, there are many challenges you will face. Teachers are not as lenient about assignments and there is much more outside work that is required of you. By staying focused and learning to be a good manager of your time, you will be able to succeed in college and have fun while doing it. College does not have to be all learning all the time. You have to be open to different experiences. There is not only learning going on in the classroom but outside in the real world as well. Try and get involved as much as your schedule allows you because that is where you will learn more practical and life knowledge. By being able to balance your academic and social life, you will succeed in college.

Leslie

Don't we all wish we knew in high school what we know now. I would definitely take a deep breath and go with the flow. I spent so much time worrying about what major to pursue and how to hold down a full time job while studying that I forgot to enjoy the college experience. It took me many years to finally decide that nursing was the career for me. If I would've been exposed to more career opportunities in high school then I might have chose nursing as my career right away. The best advice I could give to my former high school self is to not let opportunites pass me by because my head is buried in a book. Enjoying life is a key element to success. You can still study and make A+ grades but don't forget to enjoy the ride.

Megan

I went to this school because I thought my mom wanted me to go there. I would tell myself to try to make the college decision based on what I wanted to do, not to try to please others. By leaving OCU I am losing my scholarship. I was offered a Academic Scholarship from ASU but because I did not go first semester of my freshman year they will not give it back to me. This puts me in the position to pay for most of my schooling myself. My advice to myself as a senior would be to spend time at the college I think I want to attend. To really get a feel for the what the school has to offer, and what the city has to offer. I have told my friends that have been offered in-state scholarships to think very carefully about going out-of-state. If they are sure of the school and program then great. If not, once you go somewhere else you will lose your in-state scholarship. It has been a hard life lesson for me to learn! Going out -of-state is hard and is not the best for everyone.

Brittney

If I could relive highschool, I would have gotten a head start on filling out scholarships and my FAFSA. I realize now that I could have paid almost nothing for my schooling if I had not procrastinated so much. I wished i'd had more patience in high school to deal with all the paper work and stress college brings about. Putting off filling out simple papers, checking emails, turning in transcripts, and talking with advisors led me to where I am now, just looking for more scholarships to pay for my schooling. Although, I was lost in the college process as a high school senior, I should have given more effort to figure things out. Since I have been in college, I work things out as soon as I notice them so I won't procrastinate and/or forget about them. If I could go back, I'd tell myself to get a head start on everything dealing with the college process including: scholarships, FAFSA, transcripts, test scores, online forms, housing, applications, etc.. I'd apply for all the money I could recieve, so I wouldn't be stressed as a first time freshman.

Nathan

If I could go back and tell myself about the transition to college, I would say that you have to know what you want and be willing to go above all expectation that you have for yourself and the one's people have for you as well. Also, I would say watch your friends, have a well balance of studding, hanging out with friends and being active in organization on campus. In addition, take a chance on something new be willing to hurt for what you want; be willing to follow your heart and gut. Furthermore, I would tell myself it?s not going to be easy stay focused maintain a good Grade point Average (GPA). Moreover, be willing to make friends who don?t look like you who have different thoughts and beliefs than yours. I would also tell myself understand you professors and build relationship with them for the letter of recommendation letter.

Megan

I would tell myself to never let anyone or anything get in the way of what I want to do. Going to college has been one of the best things to happen to me. It's so easy to be hard on yourself in such a cut-throat industry, but you HAVE to push through. You HAVE to get through the tough times to get to the reward, which for me is as simple as getting to compose music and share my emotions and views through that music. So many people have amazing potential and talent, and yet they waste it. They don't realize what they could give back to the world, to people who need hope and motivation. I'm not saying I'm perfect at what I do. I have so much to learn but I've come to realize that I'm the only one who can make my dreams possible. Without my efforts and my passion I wouldn't be where I am. No matter what anyone tells you, don't give up on your dreams. They're what you live for. And I won't leave this world without giving my all.

Maurice

"To thine own self be true." This is one of the most important pieces of advice that Polonius offers to his son Laertes in "Hamlet", and to me, is the most crucial for anyone. Knowing who you are will determine your entire college experience, and if you do not possess that knowledge, you can become easily lost and without an identity or friends. Being true to who you are allows you to be comfortable and at ease with the decisions you make for yourself. It also shows others that no matter what happens, your actions and thoughts will be honest. By being true to who you really are, you find others who are like you and form deep, lasting relationships with them. Also, it removes any influence that peer pressure may have, for one who is true to themselves is never swayed by a crowd or easily defeated. Going into college with the knowledge of who you are, and staying truthful to yourself are two concepts no student should leave home without, for those that do are ill-prepared and ill-equipped to handle and conduct themselves in a collegiate atmosphere.

kristina

Don't stress out, stay calm and give yourself the chance to rule the world.

Jordanne

I choose Oklahoma City University because I knew the campus. In high school, I lived in a nearby suburb of Oklahoma City, and during the week I would travel to the university for my music lessons and rehearsal with an extracurricular orchestra. I knew the professors and a few of the students prior to my admittance, which made the transition much easier for me. Going to Oklahoma City felt like coming home. I believe that knowing a campus is an important factor in choosing the right college. When I finally got to college, I immediately immersed myself in the student organized Steel Drum band and Greek life. Theses activities made meeting other students very easy and fun. With these outlets, I had a gig to perform once a month and sisters to help me with homework whenever I needed it. Finding a way to have fun and social support are important ingredients to making the most of the college experience.

Andy

Try to figure out what it is that you would like to focus on. Science, math, dance, whatever it is you want to do. Then go visit several campuses if you can and ask to see those departments that interest you. Speak to students that you see. Do not simply rely on the tour guide to answer all of your questions. Remember, a university is a business and they are going to put a positive spin on everything. Be sure that you do your research and really know what kind of school you are going to.

Alaina

Find the school that fits you, the student, best academically and socially. You don't want to spend the next four years of your life stuck in some dorm room studying alone. It is way more fun to study in a group and know people in your class. Also having friends keeps you from getting homesick. I would also advise students to go with their gut in choosing a college or university to attend. If it feels right to you, it probably is the right school for you. Once you've found the school for you it is important to get involved. There are so many times I wish I would've joined a certain group and didn't. You only get to go to college once (graduate school doesn't count because you're an "adult") so live it up. That doesn't mean going to a party every night or weekend. Freshman year will be the hardest because high school is so different. After you figure the "college thing" out, sophomore year will ROCK! Just remember to find the balance.

Laura

Take your time in finding the right college for you. Don't limit your possibilities to just outside your home town on the basis of financial need or hesitancy. Lots of schools are willing to help with financial aid if they can see that you really want to be there. After all, the degree is about you chasing your dreams. If you want to fly one day, you can't hesitate at the beginning, you have to get a running start. Even if your dreams take you half way around the world, know that you can get there if you truly believe you can and people are always willing to help enthusiastic and passionate individuals. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and make friends in a new state because, lets face it, all freshmen are in the same boat: moving out for the first time, making their own decisions for the first time, and living their own life for the first time. If you want to reach your goals, there is no better place to start than college. So go for it.

Maurice

Prospective students should visit as many different types of colleges as possible, especially on school days in order to see how student life really is. Parents should ensure that their prospective student has as much knowledge as possible about schools they are looking at, especially regarding dorm life, because a poor living situation makes for a poor study area. Also, visiting the libraries and computer labs are especially important because that should hopefully be where their student will be spending a majority of their time. However, Greek life and other social organizations should be researched as well, because fraternities and sororities are fast ways to make life-long friends and a great way to establish a support system. Basically, both the parent and student should discover as much as possible about potential schools and make the choice together.

Carrie

Please do your research when looking into colleges. Talk to the current students, freshman and seniors. Try and get the best feel for the school that you can - not just what the university tries to sell you on. Have fun while in school but don't neglect your school-work. It's great to have a good time, but it's better to have a degree.

Honestly, when you step on campus you'll just know when it's the right one for you. It just feels right in your gut and everything seems to line up. Focus more on what the college has to offer you as an individual, rather than the scholarship amount. The money will come. As for the actual experience, make it a point to enjoy every moment of it. It flies by so quickly! Get to know lots of people on campus and be open-minded to everything. Stick to your moral values, but listen to other people's point of view as well. Learn all you can and don't be afraid to do something a little crazy every once and a while.

Christopher

Visit as many colleges as you can. Doing this will save you a boatload of trouble in the long run. I visited what was my first-choice college and realized that I REALLY didn't want to attend that particular school, so my second-choice college (after my visit to it) became my first choice. I made great friends there, learned a lot, and met my wife there as well. I am now a professional in my field doing rather well for myself at 23, and I believe that had I not toured, I would have made the wrong choice.

Cara

make sure to visit and spend a day on campus, maybe even without a parent, seeing as that is how it will really be. You need to get a feel of how it will be to be on your own on any campus

It depends on the student. If you're academically oriented, I would suggest a small school over a large or even big name school because interaction with professors proved the most helpful in my academic development. If you're looking for a 'college experience' with a huge sports team, then a big state school might be best for you. I have friends and family who have done both and enjoyed both, but be sure to think about the importance of class sizes and interaction with professors (not TAs) if you're thinking abotu doing graduate work after undergrad.

Julie

Do not need scholarship. Thanks!

Alex

Go to the colleges you are thinking of attending. College is a place where you need to feel comfortable and going to the campus' and talking with the students there that are not on the tour faculty will give you a great view of the way the university really functions. College is a very personal choice and you need to make sure you treat it seriously and don't go somewhere just becuase it has a good name. You need to make sure it's right for you.

Jeana

Actually spend a good chunk of time visiting the campus, as well as the surrounding area. Observe as many classes and meet as many faculty and students as you can. Your school is soon to be your home away from home, so you're basically looking for your second family. Be assertive and ask questions. Do not feel as if you are imposing, because the school is probably observing you too. Choose a college you feel comfortable in and inspired by. Oh! And apply for as many scholarships as possible - and do it early!

Benjamin

Visit the campus. Meet the students.

Jill

Make sure you are challenged! Visit the college first and check out the people.

Maritza

Get as much information about your interested college major before making your decision to attend. Test the waters your freshmen year, and only get involved in a few organizations to start out with.

Luis

Money has been an issue for my family and maybe for many students who will be going to a college or university. I would tell parents and students that they need to pick the school that will give them the highest return on their investment. I don't only mean that financially. The students need to pick the school that they feel best comfortable in, even if its more expensive. The happier the person is the more open they will be to new ideas. The student needs to be in an environment where they learn best and are academically challenged to succeed in the field of their choice. Make the right decision because the years that will follow will be some of the best in your life!

Liliana

The best advice I could give to anyone looking for the right college for them is to visit as many schools as you are interested in. IT really is just the most important part of chosing some where you will be truely comfortable with. Most people go to see universities with their mind already made up, but one visit can change your mind! When you visit the school you meet the students, the faculty, you get to see the dorms and what the campus feels like. Once you have researched the schools you are interested you have to go see them before you are registering for classes, it can make or break the deal.

Blake

Do what your heart desires. Do not think about the financial situation you are in. Most colleges have the necessary resources for those who are in a financial struggle. As long you are socially involved and comfortable, and as long as you are happy where you are, then every decision should be accurate for you.

Make it a fun experience, these are supposed to be the best 4 years of your life, live it.

Tyler

.

Long

Don't expect your first try at college to go off perfectly.

It's really important to pay attention to student life when choosing a college. If I could pick again, I would have gone to a college that is a lot bigger because I feel like I've missed out on the "true college experience" because my school is so small. Visit schools and talk to students that go there. Also think about whether that college is somewhere you want to spend 4 years or so. It may seem like it would be a great college your freshman year, but are you going to want to be living there when you're a junior or senior? College is your home away from home, so make sure there are facilities there that cater to things you have at home, such as an adequate gym, restaurants nearby that you like to eat, public transportation system, etc. You don't want to be miserable because you can't do any of the things you are used to doing at home, because then you won't be able to focus on your school work - and isn't that really what college is for in the long run?