Oklahoma Panhandle State University Top Questions

I would tell myself that it really isn't that scary because people act just the same in college as they do in high school. I would also say that you might think you are ready to be out of your parents house but you have to remember how much responsibility you will gain and at times you will still need your parents. Lastly, I would tell myself to be open to the possibilities of anything happening because you will gain many experiences.

Sage

Don't be intimidated by the word college! Just dive in and have fun. It's really not as hard as it sounds!

Kassidi

The first piece of advice I will give you is that you really need to learn the basics of studying. Throughout school, you went to class, paid attention, took notes, and that was good enough to get the grade, but that won’t be good enough for college. You still need to do all the things you did in high school, you just need to do something with the notes to help you retain them, such as, reading over your notes within twenty-four hours of taking them, do some simple research on topics to help your understanding, and maybe go as far as even reading your text book. Also, I know you have heard this before, but you spend a lot more time in a high school class room than a college class room. So, you will suddenly have all this free time. You’ll be so excited about all this new found time that you won’t do anything with it. You don’t have to give all your free time to studying, but I encourage you to be productive with it. Take this advice and remember that college is only as stressful as you make it.

Omar

Perserverance, dedication, and work-ethic are all traits that a college student must demonstrate in order to flourish in any college setting. Continuing my pursuit of a college degree, I had to improve these traits as I transitioned from a high school to a college student. I never had a problem as a high school student with classes or assignments. But I never knew that college would challenge me as an individual. A set of responsibilites fell on my shoulders. I was accountable for attending class. Lectures became a struggle in my life. And school work became a much heavier burden for me. Stress started playing a role in my behaviors, and I didn't know how to respond to it all. So I turned to my mom for help. She adviced a few simple words, "Perservere yourself, dedicate yourself, and just keep working." I took those words to heart. I knew I had to perservere to be on time to class. I had to dedicate my undivided attention to my professors. And I had to work rigorously on every assignment. If I could give any advice to my past self, it would be that. Perserverance, dedication, and work-ethic.

Kaleb

If I went back in time while I was in Highschool, I would teel myself that the little things that the teachers take extra time to make sure you understand and stress about you knowing. LIsten to them, especially about those things. In collage your expected to know how to do those things with expertice. Also dont take things for granted try hard, It will help trust me I know.

Montana

If I had the chance to go back in time and tell my self something it would probably be to change my studying habbits. Through high school I didnt study very well and sometimes not at all, and these last couple month I have had to try very hard to change my habbits so i could continue to get good grades, and stay in school. I am very happy to tell you that i have changed my bad habbits and I made the deans list.

Edward

Stay focus and do not let anything or anybody get in your way of what u want accomplished.

Don't take your college experience for granted. Have fun, but remember why your there, and keep your grades up. In my experience, getting suspended from school is not the way to go. I realized that I needed to kick it in gear or I was going to end up working at WalMart all my life, and not going anywhere. Many things may come up, but they are obstacles with which everyone has to leap, and most do. Don't give up when you realize how far you have to climb, or how high you have to leap to clear it. You need to just do what you need to do.

Advice that I would give to parents and/or students when searching for the right college and making the most of the college experience is first and foremost, never forget who you are and where you've come from. Every senior in high school can't wait to leave home and begin a new chapter in their life, but it's important to remember the people in your life that love you are that they will be there to support you through your college experience even when it gets the hardest. Other things to be taken into consideration are the interests of the student, as far as population of the school/university, the academic areas offered and/or emphasized in that school, the weather and climate of the area, and not to mention the affordability. I feel that Oklahoma Panhandle State University is a well-diversified 4-year university that holds a great amount of academic options to the students, no matter what their age, and it is reasonably affordable to attend. Just make sure you can handle the "Panhandle" weather!

Visit many colleges before making a decision. And make a list about what you like and dont like about each campus and then compare. it helps!

Alisha

First and foremost, I would visit the college campus. Next, I would talk to students that go there, not just advisors who are trying to sell you on the school. Also, talk to students who share your intended major to see what your particular school is like. I would also look at schedules to see the types of classes offered, the variety, and the different times they are offered. Next I would look into what extra curricular activities are offered.

Danny

The best advice I could give to parents and students is to visit all the campuses you want, then make your chioce. Even if you think you know where you want to go, visit more than one, then pick the one that fits you best. Also another good thing to tell a prospective student is too live on campus, at least for the first year, then you can move off campus. Living on campus gives you the opportunity to meet new people and make friends. The last piece of advice I would give them is that it is okay to call home! Just because you are on your own now, your parents still love you and would like to hear more from you than just doing your dirty laundry on the weekends.

My advice is to instill hard work in your child, and yourself. If you do this, ANY college is tangible! Look for as many shcolarships possible that apply to the student, and fill them ALL out...MAIL THEM IN ON TIME!!! If you are serious about college, you should have THREE major university choices. Of those choices you need to take a personal day to visit each one of them. Get to know what you are getting into! The worst thing you could do is jump in blindly! Talk to every school's financial aid office before applying! They are very willing to help you out. Did I mention, Search the internet for every available scholarship? Really, the less you stress over working your tail off to pay for college, the better your grades will be, and the more you will have to enjoy yourself. Lastly, believe in yourself, and your capabilities. Work hard, and reward is definate!

When your looking for a college, first sit down and think, "how much can I afford?", "How far do I want to be?", "Do I want to be able to come home on weekends or holidays?". Trust me these question mean the world when you get half way across the united states and realize you can't just hop in the car and go. As soon as the first birthday hits, it hits you that you really wanted to be able to go home. But the pirk of being out and away is you learn reponsibility, you learn how it is to live on your own. Once on campus, where ever that may be, go to public places like the cafeteria...talk to people let them know who you are. Making friends make the college experience so much easier. Possibly look into an activity you like doing and join that club, getting involved is the easiest way of making friends. Remember however, that your there for you...your education, so knock out the general studies and then hop into your major and get comfortable. College can be as much fun as you make it, and you can if you try.

If asked, I would say that the most important part about finding the right college isn't so much one individual thing, it is several things. Choose a place where you are comfortable. A college that has the program that you are looking to go into is always nice, unless you change, (which is great, change is always good) a transfer to another college can be a pain. To make the most out of a college experiment, you have to be active, get to know the people around you, know your professors and the students. Make as many friends as possible, including the police...you never know when you might need them. Don't steer yourself down a path that you aren't comfortable with, it could get painful in the end. Choose what is right, and if you choose incorrectly its okay, life is about mistakes, take them as they come and move on. HAVE FUN!!!