Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology

Ginger

Outside of core education classes (Math, English, Government, History), the instructors who run the online courses have no idea how to teach, communicate, critique, or deal with any type of student feedback. On repeated occasions, I and my fellow students were treated harshly for critiquing instructors with less than positive views. When questioning assignments I have personally been verbally attacked for doing so. When asking questions on how to proceed on an assignment or for clarification (after my own research left me without answers) I was told to "go read the book" or " that should be obvious". When asking why quizzes were graded incorrectly, with proof from course textbooks that word-for-word quiz inaccuracy, I was chided for harping about a single point difference from the same instructors who asked everyone to fill out the end-of-class review for a bonus of 3 points. (I was more concerned with the inaccuracy of the quizzes since we were to use them as notes for the end-of-term final.) For core edu classes their online program is very helpful...for anything else I would say stay away from OSUIT.

I wish I would have known how awful the professors were, I only had 1-2 good ones. I wish I would have known if you need any help expect to wait 3+ days for an email or phone call back. All of the classes were basically programming related, so do not take this degree path if you do not like programming. Most of the professors wait until the last second to grade things. And, if you're going to transfer to a 4-year school, the staff will be hateful and refuse to fill out forms that you need. It happened to me, I needed forms filled out and the staff was so rude and refused because I was not getting my BT through OSUIT. Several students had several issues with multiple professors and nothing was done to fix the problem. I honestly did not learn anything that I use currently in my IT job that I have. Do yourself a favor and pick a different school.

Alana

Now that my program as officially been cut I can give my opinion of this university. So firstly my program was the only thing that kept me from dropping my first semester. I am from Michigan and went to osuit specifically for my program. I’ve had many good experiences with my program, the cafe, post office, clubs, etc. But unfortunately, my negative experiences with housing outweighs it all. Since I am out of state I HAD to live in the dorms to receive my tuition waiver. Firstly the RA’s are a joke and during my time were very cult-like. Once you get on the bad side of one they all start creating drama with you (Yes drama like children. Numerous RA’s would talk about myself and my friends behind our backs and we didn’t find out until a mutual friend of ours became a RA) For an event I had my clubs cotton candy machine in my dorm overnight because the event ended at 8 pm. Two days after the event when the machine was already turned back into my professor I received a yellow slip on my dorm with a warning to remove items not allowed by housing. Secondly, there is a curfew. You can not have anyone in your room past midnight and 2 am on weekends. Even if they are the same gender and live across the hall you can not have them in your dorm. I was 19-21 when I attended this school. I’m sorry but the fact that I am being policed every day to not be able to do what I want with my friends at whatever time is completely ridiculous. Just enforce stringer quiet hours if you’re so afraid of people being loud past midnight because why else would adults have a curfew? During my first semester, I thought it was just a southern thing since a curfew would be completely laughed at and thrown away if any college in Michigan had that but then my friends said all the other universities in Oklahoma have no such rule. So there is no excuse as to why this is a thing at osuit. Secondly, if you get caught drinking even you have to go to Okmulgee county court and pay almost $700 in court fees because you will receive a MIP. I do understand that there are laws in the place where you can’t drink if you are under 21 but I was in a room with people who were drinking. I don’t drink beer yet I still had to go to Okmulgee county court and pay a ridiculous fee because I was associated with drinking. The person who caught us is Dave. Not only is Dave prejudice but in all honesty is a perv. This man is the desk attendant to the common area and works nights. To catch people having someone in their dorm past curfew he will PUT HIS EAR TO THE DOOR. This man has also stalked us into our dorms asking if we all live within this building and told us past curfew we CAN NOT TOUCH THE DOOR HANDLE TO THE OTHER DORM. While at osuit I was the Vice President of student government and had direct communication with the deans. I had asked a dean if this was true and when he got back to me he said it is not because there are common areas within the dorms someone from another building can go into another dorm building if they are not going into a specific dorm room. Dave has also pulled people over from his car using the flashlight on his phone and has used his flashlight to look in people's cars. This is way out of the scope of his job and is completely inappropriate just like the many other things he has done. He also did nothing about two tweakers trying to break into the dorm. Didn’t call the cops nothing. This is just the beginning of the issues I have experienced and they all happen to revolve around outside of classes. This pathetic excuse of a university needs a reality check. It is 2020, you are a public university, & your students are adults. You need to change this because If these ridiculous rules keep happening your university will close despite all of these programs getting shut down to save you money. Yet you will continue to lose money because outside of the classroom is 70% of a student's life at this school. Even if they love their programs, like me, that 30% of positivity will never outweigh the 70% of bad. Treat your students like the adults they are.

Tayia

I think it is a pretty good campus. Most of the people there are extremely nice, and helpful. The instructors are well educated. I only wish there were more things to participate in. The town is pretty quiet, there aren't very many things to do there either.

its amazing we are a trimester school which means we are here summer spring fall

Joel

It is a means to an ends. Some people are there for a vocational degree, some are there for the basics, and some are there for the wild college party experience. The classes are relatively small compared to bigger schools. OSUIT is a vocational school with extra classes to get degrees instead of certificates.

Dovie

I think Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology - Okmulgee is a great school so far

Cliff

OSUIT trains me for my career. It is not just an education, it is a pathway to a better life. My classes are very hands on, and I am only expected to learn what is applicable to my career. The facilities are clean, and well equipped. Classes are just the right size so that I have friends to work together with, and instructors are able to give one on one attention.

Cody

Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology is a fantastic campus for students who need hands on experience in their field to achieve greatness. All of the professors are fantastic and they are extremely helpful. This is a great school to start you educational career.

Destini

This school is amazing. I love the instructors as they actually care about our well being in and out of the class. The class sizes are great and make learning easier. Although, there aren't very many restaurants or stores to enjoy off campus, overall you will get what you need while attending school here.

gabby

To me it is a great campus and has excellent teachers. Their classes are very hands on and it helps a lot with the learning process. The teachers seem to really care about their students. They have so many classes for many types of careers that you could think of doing in your future.

Tammie

The faculty and staff genuinely care about the students, and want to see the students succeed. They encourage the students to the best of their ability. There aren't many activities to get involved in but the activities the campus does have helps with the fellowship and getting to know others, whether it is students, staff, or faculty.

Tristen

My opinion is very mixed. While most professors are pretty cool, there’s one that has consistently cause problems for many students but no action taken against him. As well as they don’t give students proper info or help with some classes or financial aid. It’s cheap and mostly convenient while most students are chill but there are some big downfalls. There’s also a high crime rate within the school itself mostly for theft. I have been victim of theft for some art supplies, luckily it wasn’t to expensive, but people have damaged my car twice without action to pursue those people. It doesn’t feel like OSUIT cares about their students.