Old Dominion University

« See more reviews of Old Dominion University

The students at Old Dominion are truly diverse! As much as it was said to me before I entered the school, I really didn't believe it until I attended. We do have a lot of people that come from different places, and even from locations that are outside of our country. It's really a pleasure to know that those not from the US enjoy our school. And although most of the people I came across are from Virginia, there is still diversity that is present and it is definitely not in a way that these different groups do not get along: in fact, it is quite opposite. In many of our school events, many organizations are incorporated together in order to have success. The art students help provide visuals, Greeks volunteer, honor societies and other organizations help sponsor and promote, and so on. All talents are utilized to get a task done and done very well.

ODU is big on greek, I myself am not in a sorority but I have alot of friends who are interested. We have both greeks such as Delta Zeta, Sigma Nu, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Phi Beta Sigma, and so much more. The probates are fun to go out to and there's always a big crowd at the student center. ODU is very diverse and we have student organizations that support in showing each individual's pride weather, religious, ethnicity, gays, etc. Typical attire to class are jeans, sweatshirts, flip flops, flats, rain boots [which I never thought about ever buying until I cam to ODU, when it rains it floods!] sweats, leggins with ugg boots. Most ODU students are from VA; Northern VA, Richmond area, Hampton Roads area. But we have lots of out of state and out of the country students as well especially from India and China.

My classmates are unique and versatile. Norfolk is part of the melting pot of Hampton Roads. Some of my classmates are out of high school. Some of them are combat veterans. Other students are returning students that may have taken a break for a year, two years, sometimes more! My school is rich in diversity and offers the chance for any potential student at any point in their life to go to school and blend in with the rest of the students.

The students at Old Dominion University are a diverse group of free thinkers. As a distance learner I have the opportunity to communicate with my classmates electronically and to interact with them during web classes. I have visited the campus and met a few students at an international festival that was held on campus. I was taught how to wear a hijab, had ice cream purchased for me and my children, and was treated as a fellow Monarch.

Most are motivated and excited to graduate. Some with full scolarships and everything paid for do not realize what a blessing they have. I wasn't able to go to school do to money. I study my butt off and work as hard as I can. Work to stay in school so I may one day save lives. I feel as though some student dont realize how importan college is to them.

My classmates at ODU were very determined and goal-oriented. The majority of my classmates worked full time jobs and managed to remain focused as they completed long demanding classes some over 3 hours long. Classmates were willing to pitch in extra time to help out one another after hours and carried a positive attitude.

Diverse, friendly, and willing to help. There are students who are lazy, they do not excel. And then there are students like myself who study and get great grades. The people on this campus are very accepting, you can be invited to a party and not even know the person, but they'll treat you like a friend when you get there.

The campus is very diverse. There's no one set way to describe student life. But black people tend to hang with blacks, asians with asians, whites with whites, etc... Specifically in class, it's hard to say because you get a variety of different people especially if you're taking basic geneds.

My classmates are very kind and helpful. When I am absent from class, my classmates are always willing to fill me in on what assignment was missed as well as give me the notes that I missed. Of course, there is always a bad apple in the class but I stay away from that specific person.

My classmates are very understanding and caring people. Those in my major are supportive and happy to help in learning the curriculum. I don't know of any of my fellow friends that didn't try to understand the coursework or try.