Old Dominion University

« See more reviews of Old Dominion University

The location of the school is unique. We are close to a couple big cities, beaches, historic sites, professional sports teams, amusement parks, mountains, camping, concert venues, government facilieties, and all kinds of other fun and cool things to do. My school offers outstanding programs in science, engineering, business, and liberal arts. The local area also contains thousands of businseese that allow for internships and co-ops. The size and location of the school is perfect. There are a ton of things to do and a ton of good programs to major in. I love my school.

My school is near the biggest military installationg on the eastern seaboard. I wanted a school where I wouldn't feel hindered because of my age after I left the US Navy after serving for almost six years so I could pursue my college education. The school population is diverse with students of many ages, backgrounds and lifestyles. I felt that I could melt in with the rest of the students and they would help enrich my school experience. At other schools, I felt there would be a lack of connection mainly because of my age compared to the others.

ODU has the most diverse situation going for it - it has the diverse students, it has a commuter vibe at times, but also has a large bulk of students on campus too, it has night life, with students who have spirit toward the school, are involved on campus, but at the same time are rather relaxed about their school work. So it is different in many aspects, although I can't say exactly because I've never attended another school. One unique aspect is the student population is very evenly split. 50% Norfolk/VA Beach, 25% Richmond, 25% Northern VA.

Old Dominion University promotes diversity giving students many opportunities to learn about other cultures and people. I believe the promotion of diversity unites the university's thousands and thousands of students. Just walking across campus, I can see school spirit everwhere I turn. People are proud to be Monarchs. Most importantly, though the school is large with many students, each student feels unique and valued. There are opportunities for each and every student to get involved in the community and make a difference.

Old Dominion University is unique because it is so diverse and accepting of other cultures and lifestyles. Recently, ODU dedicated certain dorm rooms to gay and lesbian students. I think this is a very unique thing in that I've never seen another college do this. Some might say that these dorms only segregate the students more, but I think it is something the gay and lesbian students appreciate. Also, this school is committed to making all of its students, even a transfer student like myself, feel extremely welcome.

Old Dominion is unique because of the many things offered. Personally, I am an oceanography student. My major is not offered at many other schools, which is one of the reasons i chose ODU. The OEAS department provides many opportunities for students, we even have our own reasearch vessel. Another thing i enjoy about Old Dominion is the campus. There are a large number of studens, but the campus still has that cozy, small school feel. I always see people I know and feel at home on campus.

What's unique about my school compared to others is the amount of diversity. Coming from a diverse town, it was extremely important to me to maintain the same environment. Speaking with a lot of my other friends who go to other schools with very minimal diversity, I feel grateful and glad to be part of the diverse community my school is. Also, my school is like a democracy. The students are heard more than other schools and are able to make decisions based on a majority.

What made Old Dominion unique to me is it's location. Located in the city of Norfolk, it's close enough to downtown that you have something to do on the weekends when you have free time but you're far away enough that it's not a distraction during the weekdays. There is a shuttle service available to take you to the mall so you can go to the movies with friends even if you don't have your own car - convenient things like that make Old Dominion stick out.

Honestly, I could sit here for days and tell you about ODU. I LOVE LOVE LOVE ODU. I never knew what college I wanted to go to nor what I wante dto major in. But when I came to ODU's open house I got that "home feeling" the "this is it" feeling. And I knew I waned to come here. It's been one heck of a year, I've matured so much, learned so much, met so many people, got involved in a tone of things, made great friends and I can't wait to go back.

I like the fact that ODU is more modern with technology, They provide alot of learnig resources, alot places for students to study. I like that they have a shuttle bus to to carry you to different destinations. I also love the school spirit . They put effort into bringing different types of speakers on campus to talk to the students. I also love that my school is mixed with a wide variety of different cultures on campus groups and clubs.