Old Dominion University

« See more reviews of Old Dominion University

Old Dominion University is an urban school located in the heart of Norfolk, Virginia. The urban setting of the school brings with it the high crime rates. Crime frequently affects the Old Dominion campus. Though there are crime issues on campus, the school is taking great strides in preventing the crime and making students feel safer on campus. The school sends out text message, email, and phone call alerts when crime occurs. They school also holds frequent meetings with students to discuss how they can help us feel safer. I believe these steps have helped students feel safe on campus.

The housing availability and parking. For the amount of students that attend the university there is just not enough housing close to accomodating everyone. Also parking is an issue because more buildings are being rebuilt/added versus housing and parking garages. It really puts an inconvience on many students. The apartment style dorm I live in requires you to pay summer housing even if you won't stay there during the summer. You have to find someone to fill your room but the housing office does not help with that you have to ask around campus or via social networks.

Honestly some people have lack of ambition toward their school work/classes. It almost seems like they don't know why they are at the school or attempting to attain a degree. They want to, but they don't seem to make it important enough to give it their all. Other than that, the large African American population does create almost complete segregation. They won't be unsocial towards each other (no hostility), like if a black kid ends up sitting next to a white they'll talk and stuff, but they'll segreagate if possible.

The parking at the main campus is the worst! There are never enough parking spaces available. You always have to hunt for a spot, or stalk a student that is leaving for their spot. For the price we have ot pay for a decal to park, we should be guaranteed a place to park! There are not many student parking lots near buildings were classes are held either. In addition, there is so much construction, parking is even further reduced. It is ridiculous! That is why I attend the Virginia Beach campus when possible.

To be honest, I have not been on campus long enough to say what is the worst, but what I probably dislike is the amount of professors they have for my field, or some of the general educations courses. For example, my first semester, there was only an option between two professor's, but I would not mind if they were effective and suffiecient in teaching. To me, they were not. That's the main thing I dislike about some parts of my school, is the ineffective teaching ways. It does affect a student.

The worst thing about my school is the surrounding environment, but that isn't Old Dominion University's fault. This is an urban school and the crime level on and around campus is to be expected. However, the university and the city of Norfolk are taking steps in making students feel more comfortable on campus. There are more lights on pathways and more security guards on campus. Old neighborhoods are being restored around the campus and a new police precint is being built nearby.

I consider the worst thing about my school is the city surrounding it. The school is amazing and I truly love it. However, the surrounding city isn't the best place to hang out in. There have been shootings and robberies regularly and I do not feel safe going out at night. On campus is very safe, but about three to four miles off of campus it can be a really rough area to be in alone or even with a few friends. I would highly suggest living on campus or commuting from a safer area.

Old Dominion School is great academic wise, but sometimes it lacks socially. Over the weekends, there are sometimes events at night and when there aren't football games, it can be hard for someone who doesn't go to parties to have a good time. Even though there are many clubs, they can think about meeting on the weekend for the students who live on campus instead of meeting during the week while many students in those clubs have classes that don't allow them to attend.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of safety. Students at my school do not feel safe. They are scared to be on campus after night for fear of being assaulted or shot. Old Dominion University is located in Norfolk which is considered by many to be a dangerous area. The students feel like the school does not care about their safety because they have not done anything about it. The lack of safety is the only thing that keeps ODU from being a better school.

The worst thing about ODU is the location. Norfolk is a fantastic area, but the particular location of ODU in Norfolk is very dissapointing. It's about ten minutes from downtown Norfolk if one has a car, but with the majority of students not having a car, getting downtown during the week is nearly impossible, and very limiting on the weekends. ODU should provide more ammenities for students who can only get to places that are within walking distance of the campus.