Old Dominion University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Saundra

I think the stereotype of students at my school is that they are southern as the school is located in southern Virginia. The stereotypical southern person is depicted as slightly uneducated, unclean, "hillbilly", and predominantly white as well as racist. The students at my school are so far detached from this stereotype. They are a diverse group from all over the country as well as the world as we have international students as well. And they are obviously a well educated group!

Bitaseme

The stereotype at ODU is that all we do is party. Not true! While we do throw awesome parties we are just as awesome in the classroom!

MABEL

Some of the common stereotypes associated with the students at Old Dominion University are that they are mostly of African American descent and that they party on a regular basis. The stereotypes are inaccurate because the student body is full of international students that diversify the school, and there are numerous activities, some of which include community service and various sports that help curb the need for excessive partying.

MABEL

Some of the common stereotypes associated with the students at Old Dominion University are that they are mostly of african american descent and that they party on a regular basis. The stereotypes are inaccurate because the student body is full of international students that diversify the school, and there are numerous activities, some of which include community service and various sports that help curb the need for excessive partying.

Jerry

Most stereotypes are represented here at ODU. There are hardly any jocks here. Frats are all around here. Everywhere you look you will be able to see a Frat represented. Stoners are all around too, you just have to know where to look. Geeks have their own dorm hall, and you see them around every so often.

Old Dominion University offers a unique atmosphere containing an extremely diverse student body. Therefore, it would be extremely difficult to label our university with a specific stereotype. You will not have to worry about "fitting in" here at Old Dominion. Instead your personality will help direct you to whatever group you choose to surround yourself. I can honestly assure any prospective ODU student that the diversity allows one to easily find students that share similar interests and are accepting of all so called "stereotypes".

I do not know of any stereoypes

I have honestly not heard of any stereotypes of the students at Old Dominion, but I don't believe that there could ever be a fitting stereotype of the students here. I say this because the students here are incredibly diverse, and we have all kinds of people here.

Tamika

Many people believe that ODU is a party school, the students do nothing but party. I have never really heard of people using stereotpyes to classify people everyone here is very different and we love it.

Of course the athletes are the popular people on campus. Next are the greeks, but unlike other schools we all get along great.

Khyber

Most of the students I meet at ODU are from Virginia, many of them still live at home to save money by commuting 30-40 minutes each morning. There are also a lot of students who live on campus coming from everywhere. When I was a freshmen at ODU, I wanted to transfer to UVA because I felt like the student body around me did not take school very serious, there were many stoners. As I got into more in depth classes for my major(mathematics) I enjoyed school much more, as I was around people who actually wanted to learn and who cared about their grade point average. We do have greeks, but if you want to go to a school specifically for their greek life, ODU is the wrong choice. I have been here two years and I have yet to see a sorority house.

The diversity at ODU undermines any classification of one particular stereotype for all ODU students. At ODU there are students who would fit into each stereotypical group. For example, you will see students playing with Pokemon trading cards in one area of the school's Webb University center and the popular, Frat kids all hang out in the House of Blues cafe.

This is completely wrong! We are very motivated and determined to excel in school and make something of ourselves!

Travis

gheto

Old Dominion University is know for its large diversity. We are also known to have a lot of "bros" at this school too. Yes I would say this is very accurate!