Old Dominion University

« See more reviews of Old Dominion University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Old Dominion University offers a unique atmosphere containing an extremely diverse student body. Therefore, it would be extremely difficult to label our university with a specific stereotype. You will not have to worry about "fitting in" here at Old Dominion. Instead your personality will help direct you to whatever group you choose to surround yourself. I can honestly assure any prospective ODU student that the diversity allows one to easily find students that share similar interests and are accepting of all so called "stereotypes".

I think the stereotype of students at my school is that they are southern as the school is located in southern Virginia. The stereotypical southern person is depicted as slightly uneducated, unclean, "hillbilly", and predominantly white as well as racist. The students at my school are so far detached from this stereotype. They are a diverse group from all over the country as well as the world as we have international students as well. And they are obviously a well educated group!

Some of the common stereotypes associated with the students at Old Dominion University are that they are mostly of African American descent and that they party on a regular basis. The stereotypes are inaccurate because the student body is full of international students that diversify the school, and there are numerous activities, some of which include community service and various sports that help curb the need for excessive partying.

Most stereotypes are represented here at ODU. There are hardly any jocks here. Frats are all around here. Everywhere you look you will be able to see a Frat represented. Stoners are all around too, you just have to know where to look. Geeks have their own dorm hall, and you see them around every so often.

I have honestly not heard of any stereotypes of the students at Old Dominion, but I don't believe that there could ever be a fitting stereotype of the students here. I say this because the students here are incredibly diverse, and we have all kinds of people here.

The stereotype at ODU is that all we do is party. Not true! While we do throw awesome parties we are just as awesome in the classroom!

Of course the athletes are the popular people on campus. Next are the greeks, but unlike other schools we all get along great.

This is completely wrong! We are very motivated and determined to excel in school and make something of ourselves!

I do not know of any stereoypes

The diversity at ODU undermines any classification of one particular stereotype for all ODU students. At ODU there are students who would fit into each stereotypical group. For example, you will see students playing with Pokemon trading cards in one area of the school's Webb University center and the popular, Frat kids all hang out in the House of Blues cafe.