Olivet College Top Questions

Sara

I would give my high school senior self two pieces of advice if I could go back in time and tell myself about college life and the transition. I would give the advice to start applying for scholarships earlier and more frequently then what I did perviously. The second piece of advice that I would give would be to just jump feet first into the social life of college. Not to be shy and spend so much time alone in your dorm room.

Alicia

If there was one thing I could tell my high school self it would be to sign up for scholarships a lot sooner then I did. I would want my self to know going to college was one of the best desicions I could have made but I need to plan better and start looking into loans and ways to pay it off better and not just leave it all in the air until last second. Other then that I dont think I would want to spoil anything else for myself.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school, I would tell myself to stop beating myself up over things I can’t change. I would tell myself that it’s okay to mess up sometimes, and I have the ability to do great things.

Paige

If I were to go back to my senior year of high school and give myself advice for college, I would tell myself to start my scholarships and planning for what college I was going to attend. I would make sure that I understood the benefits of going away to a four year college/university compared to starting at an online college/university. I made the decision to attend an online university so I could stay at home to take care of my mother. I made it through two classes and then decided that I would rather go to a four year college so that I could get the full experience of college. I would tell myself to take advantage of the abundance of memories that I could make if I just step out of my comfort zone. College is a place to make connections and expand my knowledge to better my future.

Genie

Take time and chooose a good school dont make it last minute. Find one with a good art program and think about about what only you need leave everyone else out of the picture. Live on campus commuting sucks and first semester means everything for your GPA. Be out going and have fun!

Autumn

Try to live on campus, commuting is a hassle

Andrea

I would say, do not be affarid to try everything, and not to hold back. I would also say to apply for as many scholarships as possible because of the rising cost of tutition. Also, I would tell myself to explore the area of study that I wanted to go into, and not be scared or worried if I changed my major. I would tell myself that it is ok to go and explore my different options.

Dwayne

I would tell myself to try harder in the classroom because it would prepare me more for college and to stay honest and humble to my values. The best advice I could give to myself would be to take advantage of every chance you get to learn something new and to try and use it to help you in your everyday life.

Jenna

Dear self, When you decide where to go to college, choose a small school where you can make lots of friends and your professors will know you by name. Play division III tennis. It might be hard to believe right now, but you are good enough. The thought of that probably sound intimidating, but you will do just fine and it will be one of the best decisions you ever make. Do not stress out about college. Your high school teachers might make it sound hard right now, but remember when you were in junior high and thought high school was going to be difficult and as it turned out it really was not that bad... college is going to be the same way. Relax, it is going to be the best years of your life. Sincerely, Me

Sara

If I had a choice I don't think I would go back in time because I believe the experiences makes the person they are today. If I went back and told my high school self things about college, I wouldn't who I am now. Also, I have older sister who have graduated college and through them I kind of knew what to look forward to. They helped my make the transition into college life, but I come to think of college as a high school away from home. With classes that are little more challenging.

ashley

If I could go back and talk to my self as a senior in high school, I would tell my self you won't have any trouble transition from high school to college. The one thing you need to focus on is the homework, and ask for help before you fail a class. Also I would tell my self not to go into the same major as my friends and go out on my own and discover what I like and don't like. Overall I would just tell my self to take college classes serioulsy and to enjoy college while it last.

Brooke

I would tell myself that getting good grades and being on the work is very important. My first two years I slacked off, and looking back, I do regret not taking my school wokr seriously. I wouls tell myself that time management between school, friends, and sports is crutial.

Jana

Going in to college for the first time is great for a high school student. This gives them a fresh new start from the reputation they may have had in high school. Some advice that I would give to myself would be to join as many clubs and activites as possible on campus. This not only looks good on your resume, but it will also make you a well rounded person with views other than your own. It also shows that you care for more things than just your academics as well as your ability to be involved in activities other than academics. I would also encourage myself to join an athletic team. This is a great way to make friends and make a new family at the school. You will become extremely close with all of these people and have lifelong friends from these people. My last words would be to have fun and experience everything in college that may be thrown your way. This is a great way to learn from mistakes, move forward and become a better person.

Josh

The advice I would give myself is plan and discover more about the college. I should have also look at other colleges and universities. Olivet College I still believe is the place to be, some other colleges in MIAA were trying to get me as well. NAIA school such as Concordia University Ann Arbor want me to go there school. It was either Olivet College or CUAA. I wish I knew more about the football team because I play football here.

Anthony

I would have told myselft to not take a year and a half off from school, but to attend Olivet College. I wanted to go to a bigger school, but I love how small and connected you are with everyone at Olivet. You feel like you are friends with everyone, including the teachers. Going to Olivet College just isn't a place to learn about your major, but the first step to getting your dream job. Teachers will spend so much time to make sure you end up where you want to. They will help you find an internship and eventually a great job. Olivet College is the best place I never heard of.

Ruth

Being a girl raised on a farm in a town of 700 people, I would tell her not to be so scared of what to do after high school. There are a lot of choices and you don't have to stick to your original ones. You can change your mind and things will happen that will force you to change. Get the good grades in science and math as they are a key part of your future. Ask your teacher or others for help if you don't understand the subject. They won't hurt you, or belittle you, they are people you can trust. These are subjects that you forget if you don't use them. If you decide to go back to school later in life these grades will help you, so you don't have to repeat them in college, something that is much harder to do. Keep your sense of humor and your willingness to help others, it is one of your greatest assests.

Kathryn

There are a few words of advice I would give to my high school senior self. First off, enjoy seeing your friends every day. When you get to college you have to learn how to make friends again. Going to a small school you are with the same people every day so making new friends is needed. Next, be prepared to live with so many girls and sharing a bathroom. My dorm room has about ten girls to a bathroom and it can get quite stressful. I would also tell myself to earn as much money during the summer as possible. The cost of college books are quite expensive. The money you make during the summer takes the stress off buying books and paying for gas when you visit home on a weekend. Plus, be thankful for your home. Once you get to school you have no parents to look out for you. You don't get home cooked meals or a clean bathroom every day. No one is there to hold your hand. Growing up and being repsonsible is the only way to survive your time at college. Finally, remember to have fun and learn something new every day.

Kellie

I would tell myself to stay focused. College is a new experience and many things that seem exciting can lead you very far off track. You only get 4 years, and while 4 years seems like a long time, it really does fly by. Don't waste it by making bad choices and not engaging yourself in your classes.

Miki

Be sure to use all of the resources available to you by the college. They want you to succeed and have systems in place to help you. Figure out your learning style and use study tools work best for you. Be prepared for class and show up on time, everyday. If you are struggling with a class, talk to your instructor or seek a tutor. This shows that you are serious about your education and are willing to put in the work. Always pay attention to deadlines, especially drop/add and withdrawal deadlines. Keep an eye on your grades and speak to an advisor if you don't think you are going to pass. It is better to withdraw from a class and receive a "W" than to stay and fail the class. A "W" will not count toward your GPA but an "F" will bring it down dramatically. The more courses you attempt, the harder it is to improve your GPA. If you are not an early riser, it is probably best to schedule classes later in the day.

Korey

Your senior year is an exciting time of hanging out with friends and enjoying your extracurricular activities but it is important to use this time to prepare for the transition to college. It is important to work hard at developing your writing skills. I would suggest taking college writing during your senior year so that it is fresh in your mind. I would start developing good, organization and study habits that will help manage the more difficult amount of work that will come in college. I would also work at developing new friendships at school, work and church so that you are ready to do this in college. High school is fun but there is nothing like the excitment of tons of freshman on a college campus in the fall. College is a chance to start all over with your G.P.A. and friendships. Make the most of it by being prepared!

Dannielle

How to navigate my future in this changing world, a priceless gift in and of itself.

I have learned that higher education is a way out of anything negative in someone's life. I look at others who drop out of high school and work at a minimum wage jobs. Higher education allows people to learn and expand their minds into knowing intelligence can get you places in this world. Most jobs require an education background in order for people to start working. I also have learned about different cultures and I have a very open mind with other people.

Naomi

So far my college experience has been awesome. I have learned to slow my pace because some things just take time. I can't always be in a hurry to get out and I really need to enjoy the time I spend in school.

Alicia

My college experience has taught me that you have to work hard for what you want. If you want good grades you must work at it, no one else can do that for you. College is about finding what you want to do in life. It is not just about making more money, but establishing a career that you will actually enjoy. Making friends and networking is also a valuable college experience. Meeting new people always has its benefits.

tiffany

I have recieved a lot of new skills since attending college. I go to vigina college in mobile alabama and we are required to take a learning framework class.I have learned to be more professional,which will benifit me when I get a job.I also take sociology.It will be a valuable tool when I am working because it teaches you why people are the way they are and how to react.I have become more tolerante to things I don't agree with.Attending college has made me a better person all around.Being with such a diverse group of people I has help me set goals for myself and what I want to do with my life.College has truely changed me for the better.Now if I just could afford it.LOL

I have gotten many things out of college. Before attending College I was not capable of debating with someone that had an opposite point of view and persuading them to believe what I believe. I gain more confidence in myself and know that I have knowledge. College has made me capable of searching for what I want and looking for more options and opportunities. I now answer my own questions because college helps me search for answers and to be myself and find out the truth and not go for what others believe in. These experiences have been valuable for the fact that I am going to take all this experiences where ever I go. They taught me how to fight in the battle field and survive. Attending college has being my best choice simply because I have earned much knowledge that is needed now as well as later on.

I have figured out what I want to do with the rest of my life. I have made important friendships and figured out who my real friends are. I have also learned a lot about money. How much life costs and how I need to figure out how to manage my money. It has helped me become a better overall person, a well rounded person. I am more open to other people's opinions and I try to see things from their perspectives.

Since I have entered college, I have become a whole new person. I was terrified when I first stepped onto the campus and cried for hours when my parents drove away. But as the weeks passed, I began to feel more and more at ease. One day, I suddenly realized that I was exactly where I belonged. I was surrounded by my intellectual peers, many of whom had the same goals and dreams I did. The classes were no longer general education, but were actually enjoyable and targeted towards my major. What was once a hazy future became a clear reality. My confidence began to rise as I realized that I was no longer an outcast for being different, but more accepted because of it. Instead of joining a clique, I made friends all over campus and joined as many clubs as possible. Once a person who would rather hide in my room, I began to socialize and open myself up. In high school, I was a shy person who felt lonely and strange, but thanks to my college experience, I am a whole new person with a whole new love of life. College is where I belong.

Michele

In high school I was very diligant and focused on my academics and athletics. I would tell myself to enjoy my senior year and not take high school so serious. I know the importance of school and getting good grades, but make sure to have fun and make the most of high school. You only get the experiences of high school once and do not take that for granted. These are times that you will remember forever and you want to make the most of them. Have fun, but stay motivated and you will be successful. I would also tell myself to focus on basketball because I was not planning to play in college, but changed my mind later on. So, my high school self should know to work on my fundamentals and improve my offensive skills. Being a better basketball player and staying concentrated on improving everyday would have greatly helped me in college.

Tashara

The advice that I would give to myself is to keep things organized. That is very important when you are in college because you don't want to forget or lose your papers when going to class. Professors don't except late work like high school teachers do. Also Also you need to make sure you make a list of things you need to do and prioritize them. This includes make a time chart of how you are spending your time, to make sure you are spending it wisely. Another piece of advice I would give to myself is to get a planner. This helps in organizing the homework assignments and reminds me to get my stuff in own time. The last advice I would give to myself is not to take any of the above for granted because it will be a pian in the end when you see your grades!

Taylor

I would tell all high school seniors how important it is to prepare for college. College is not like high school at all. You actually have to study and go to class in order to pass your classes. Cramming the night before an exam won't cut it, you need to start studying as soon as you know when the exam is. Also, skipping class is unacceptable. Most professors take attendance and make attendence part of your participation grade. If you don't go to class, it's your loss. Balancing time is very important. You're on your own in college and you have to be able to balance your time. Going to class, studying and balancing your time, are three things that I recommend to all high school seniors that plan on attending college.

Rafe

The advice I would give to myself is, make sure you make your own decision. Let no one not even your parents talk you into something. Take more campus tours and really research the college. Stay on track to your dreams and ask yourself is this really the place that could make me a better person?

If I could go back and talk to myself, my first request would be to quit being so lazy. Your high school teachers weren't kidding, college is hard work. There's no more floating along and still manage decent grades. In college, you have to do the work. College is different from high school in so many ways, primarily you get to pay for it, even if you don't do well. I would give my younger self a verbal kick in the butt to learn excellent study habits and how to read text that isn't exciting. I know I would rather watch television every day of the week, but working hard is the only way to succeed. I wish I had known that I wouldn't be able to coast through college like I had in high school. In college I had to learn to not only show up to class, but also pay attention and take notes. The best thing I would tell my younger self is to give college everything you've got because if you don't work hard the first time, four years can turn into five or six or maybe even seven.

Megan

Dear Megan, No matter how hard it may seem you need to reach outside your comfort zone and do some serious soul searching before you commit yourself to a school for the next four years. Just because it is close to home and your best friend has fallen in love with the campus, it does not mean that it is your dream school. You will graduate first in your class and the possibilities are endless so don't be afraid to apply to large universities simply because they present new challenges that may scare you now. Do not let yourself settle! You do have time to fill out all of those applications, and just because your counselor lost all of your application fee checks does not mean that you should just give up on those schools! Also, that boy you think you are madly in love with (you know the one), you can do better so never let another person influence a decision as important as this. Do not let your emotions override what your analytical side is telling you. Dream big because sometimes one chance is all that you've got, sometimes its now or never! Good Luck, Megan

Karmen

If I could go back in time and tell myself the things I know now my first pointer would be to save my money. I worked all through high school and never expected graduation to come so fast, so i wasted my money away on hanging out with my friends or on something that was not significant. If I would have saved more money in high school, I believe that college would not be as stressful as it is for me. I always have to worry about making my work schedule fit in with my school schedule. I would not have to be making payments whenever I could on my loans that are gaining interest as I type. If I would have saved my money, I could have probably paid for a large chunk of my education already. The second most important thing that I would tell myself would be to never procrastinate and always be organized. If I would have followed this through out my freshmen year I would have never had to do as much stressing out as I did. I could of had a social life as well. I would tell myself to just have fun.

The most important thing in college is to always speak up. Ask questions when you don?t understand something (even if you think you?ll silly). Don?t let fear keep you from getting answers. If you?re sitting next to a stranger, say hello. Even if you do not strike up a conversation, introducing yourself is polite and friendly. And, by introducing yourself first, you are more likely to be spoken to, and consequently, more likely to make new friends and connections. Finally, always give your honest opinion. There are no wrong answers in college; be true to yourself.

Kenneth

I would tell myself not to go to community college, to go straight into a four year university because community colleges are confusing places to be. The advisers constantly change degree requirements, and don't know exactly what courses tranfer to what school, and don't steer you in the correct direction. The advising I have had at Olivet College has been excellent to say the least. I have a sense of direction, and know exactly where I stand in my progress.

Brandon

If I could go back and talk to myself about college when i was in high school I would tell myself that a good way to prepare for college is to learn how to be independent. Once you are in college you are pretty much on your own. Your mom is not there to help you and wake you up for school and etc. You have to be prepared for that if you do not know how to be independent it is going to be hard for you to flourish in college. You need to learn time management skills. The quickest way to succed in college is to learn how to manage your time and be orgainized. You can never be off task or lose track of your school work is you are very orgainized. I feel like college is is hard as you make it out to be. If you come into college you a "party" attitude you are not going to last very long. You have to be focus on what you are going to college for and that is to gain more education so you can begin your career

Caitlin

If I could give myself advice about college as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stick to my gut feeling on anything. I would tell myself to never give in to peer pressure and cling to what I know is right. I would also let myself know that if life is hard, I'm living it right. I would also advise myself to attend as many campus events as possible right off the bat, to give everything an equal try before I get too busy with school and swimming. I would also tell myself that everyone wants to feel wanted, so don't be afraid to talk to people I've never met.

Lindsey

Going back in time, i would give myself the advice to get ahead on buying school books and supplies. The book store was almost empty when i got to school and the books i needed were pretty much gone.

I think I was well prepared to go to college, so I would not change anything I did my senior year in high school.

Katie

The academic part of school is, obviously, very important. I would go back and tell myself to remember that in college it is very important to stay focused on schoolwork. Procrstination is not a very good thing to do. It is better to keep up on the work load so that I wouldn't get behind. I would also tell myself to relax a little bit. It's good to take a break every once in a while and don't be too hard on yourself. College is a wonderful experience and a huge step in my life, make the best of it.

Cassie

Advice that I would give myself would be to be more interactive. To not be afraid to show who you are in the classroom. People really do not care as much as you think they do when you are in class and giving presentations. Be proud of who you are. Do not be afraid to meet new people and take chances beacause they are rewarding. Get involved as much as you can and make it go around basketball. Be true to yourself and you loose friends and gain new ones but have fun, work hard and enjoy college. Make the most of basketball and do not let the small thing sweat you.

Chelsie

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior, I would remind myself to fill out scholarships. I would have a much better start on college right now if I didn't have to worry so much about money. The money is out there, it's just a matter of applying for the scholarships. I was busy as a senior, but I should have put my priorities in order better. I am even more busy now than I was then, yet I manage to apply for scholarships. It is a matter of not making excuses and using every second of the day to your advantage. I would also tell myself to enjoy life more. Everyone makes college seem like one big party, but it's only a big party to those who blow it off. I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time waiting for college, because now I miss the friends that I've moved away from. You make new friends in college, but don't waste the time you have with your best friends from high school. It is important to work hard in high school, but it's also important to enjoy it!

Alicia

The advice I would give myself is to think ahead of what my interest are for my future. To see if there are any classes that could help out a college class (example: marketing, accounting, a specific math, auto tech...) Even though many people change their major and minors, it is a good idea to have some kind of interest or lead towards a subject of interest as in science or teaching. For anyother advice is to remain open to classes and the people you are surrounded by; to explore the world that is unknown.

Dorothy

If I went back in time, it would be 1980. I would tell my self that I should go and see my Guidance Counselor to help with getting into college. I would tell my self that I should visits colleges and speak to studednts who attend to get their perspective on college life. I would write to colleges for much needed information about their school and apply to the college that offers a well rounded program. I would use my Guidance Counselor as my Advisor. If only I was 18 again, I would be that Doctor I was supose to be. I had no guidance.

Matthew

Go to Olivet from the beging

Libby

The best advice I could give myself as a college senior would be to give up drinking a lot sooner. I gave up alcohol coming out of my freshman year at Olivet. Even though I maintained good grades, and was actively involved in campus, I feel that drinking held me back from really achieving everything I could have done. I would also tell myself not to worry about money so much. It all works out in the end. Probably the best advice I could give myself, is to not let the stress get to me. Go into each semester knowing that I have to find time for school work, and then a social life. Once I find that balance I will really step up my school work, and accomplish a lot more. The very last piece of advice I could think to give would be to not hide who I am. Olivet is very accepting of different people, no matter race, sex, orientation or etc. It will make my freshman year that much more enjoyable.

Morgan

If I could travel back into time and give myself advice I would do it in a heartbeat. Since attending college I have realized most of this information I have already learned. However, in college there are a few more minor details. I would tell myself to really focus and to study. Take in information, work with friends, rehearse, read and then review the text. If I would have done those things I would have been more prepared for the new information introduced rather than relearning the previous language from highschool. Another piece of advice I would give is to practice time management. This is key in college since everything is on you, one individual and not your parent(s) anymore. Use a planner and carry it with you all the time. This will be helpful to remember what bills need to be paid, when a test is, when homeowork's due, or when an appointment may be. The last thing I would do is to apply for an many scholarships as possible. There are many out there and take advantage of your resources before it is too late. There are many teachers and advisors who would love to help.

Kendra

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a senior I would tell myself many different things. The first would be to look at many different types of school. As a senior, I focused on smaller schools because I wanted to play volleyball and didn't really focus on school even though I was naturally a good acadmic student. So my first bit of advice would be to look at bigger schools. The second bit of information I would tell myself would be to get a job over the summer. College takes a lot of money and by getting a job over the summer I wouldn't have to work so much during college and juggle sports, a job and school. The third and last thing I would tell myself is to learn to manage my time. College has a lot of things going on and if you can't manage your time you will fall behind in school. These are the most imporant key points that I would mention to myself and simply say good luck.