Olivet Nazarene University Top Questions

I would advise myself to get involved more your freshman year. Just because you do not live on campus does not mean that you should not take part in school activities. Now in my second year at Olivet, I am starting to attend more activites and make the most of my college experience, even though I live at home. Also, I would tell myself to open up more and let my guard down. The students and faculty on this campus are wonderful and are there to help you grow and encourage you to be your best. Even if you are shy, make an effort to build friendships. The friendships you make here may just turn into the best friendships ever. Lastly, while of course college is about academics, do not focus on only school work, enjoy life before the real, real world begins.

Take an abundance of classes to find out what interests you. Although it can be a lot of money and take more time than intended, getting this out of the way and getting into your career as soon as possible is key. In the midst of all the learning and pressure to graduate there needs to be the rememberance of fun in life and to enjoy all opportunities available. Just because your teachers can not teach you what you need to know in a particular class, a person needs to learn regardless of the teacher. They are not there to just let you walk by with a full ride, you need to take charge and make sure you are learning everything you possibly can to ensure yourself the easiest adventure. At the end of the day, things will come along to block your path but they are only temporary road blocks and one can overcome any obstacle with enough willpower.

Bennet

I would tell myself to take fewer honors classes and to take more AP classes. Honors classes look great in college aplications, but most universities take unweighted grades, so all the extra work you did looks ok on a school application, but its not worht it. I would tell myself to take a few more AP classes so my work load in college would be easier and I would tell myself to take 1 or 2 honors classes total. The unweighted honors class gave me an overal lower GPA. If I had taken the regular level course and gotten the easy A, both my GPA and my time to spend on AP classes would have increased. This would have given me a higher GPA for acedemic scholarships in school, as well as giving me a head start on my college courses and preparedness to take on higher level classes. My advice to all students, not just me, is to take AP classes instead of honors. GPA helps scholarships and makes college more affordable. After all, debt after college is hugely important. A higher scholarship means less money to pay back in the end. Good luck future college student. -Bennet Nygaard.

Have fun before you go because now your whole life is about nursing.

India

I would tell my younger self to stay focus and do better. Also to do more scholarships. Start preparing for scholarship between your freshman and sophmore year. If my grades were better in school I could of had more scholarships. I would also tell me self not to lose hope and it's ok to ask for help.

Before you enter college be completely open to yourself and new experiences. Don't let any person, including yourself, or maybe even a dumb boy, get in the way of making new friendships and learning more about the person you are awaiting to become. This next year is going to be one of the best of your life and that won't happen unless you step out of your bubble, take a leap of faith, and dive in. Everyone is in the same boat here- trying to juggle classes, a social life, and find a way to afford their education. Don't intimidate yourself by looking at others that surround you daily. You won't automatically know their story, and they don't know yours. This is a time for something fresh and new to be created and love the life you were meant to live. Be confident to the calling you were designed to fill and embrace it! Then, you will truly experience the joy of college- especially your freshman year.

Denise

The advice I would give myself is to not give up. To finish what you started and to not look back. Its really hard to go back to school as an older adult and then work a full time job because you have to pay the bills somehow. So the major one is to just finish and that's what I tell my younger relatives to finish. I would also tell myself to open up more and not be so quiet and shy. There have been many times when I would not say anything or be afraid to say something or even ask questions when I didn't understand something. Which you really shouldn't do: if you don't know something its best to raise that hand and get your question answered.

Colllin

Study more than you think you need to.

Eryn

Eryn, I know that no one told you how serious your grades need to be in high school if you want to go to college so, I'm telling you now. You"ve probably herd that grades are important, especially as an athlete. Doing satisfactory work to get by to stay eligible to play sports is fine as an athlete but, in order to continue to a higher institute as a student athlete is more important than you think. In high school they tell you don't need to take the higher classes to graduate. I know you've taken this advice to your advantage to recieve better grades to play sports but, if you want to attend ANY college after high school, as an athlete or not, you to take all of those higher level classes. If you don't, you have to take them in college and it's a huge waist of time and money when you could do it in high school. Being a student athlete in college is no joke. The "student" comes first and is required that you have good grades in college. Take this advice and good luck to you. -Eryn sellberg.

sydney

If I could go back, I would motivate myself, more than I would try to advise my high school senior self. I would also encourage myself to stick with my original dreams and not waste time on pursing a career, major, or goal which I am not passionate about.

I would say Kimberly, stop talking, get to class online and listen to what your teacher is trying to teach you! Everything that i learned in High school was the footstool to my college experiece. Learning how to go right into my room and do my homework would have been something i already knew once i got into college but i didn't, it took me to learn this my second year at Olivet. I would just explain to myself that College is where you are on your own, and the only way you will receive an education is is you push yourself to do it. Theres no mom or dad in college with you!!! So KIMBERLY WAKE UP AND PAY ATTENTION!!!!

Jakob

Get involved! There is no such thing as being too cool for anything. Always try, even if it is way out of your comfort zone. You'll regret all the missed opportunities when it is already too late. Go to class, being on location is more important than you realize. Sure there are times when class may seem unnecessary or repetitive, and you may think "I can learn this on my own" but fact of the matter is that majority of the time you won't. Take notes, even if it's just copying the powerpoint that your teacher is using in the classroom, thrust me the information will stick much better and you won't have to panic for the tests or assignments that you have later on. Last but not least, be socially confident. At times it may seem that everyone is against you or talking about you behind your back, but fact of the matter is that people do not think or talk about you as much as you imagine, because they all have the same thoughts. Don't forget to have fun, your time at high school may be ending, but your life is just starting!

If I could speak to my old high-school self, I would tell him three things. First, I would tell myself not to invest in those that do not invest in you. I spent a lot of time focusing on people that treated me poorly. I wish I had that time back. There were others who did treat me right, and I wish I had spent with them instead of hurting myself with the others. Secondly, I would tell myself to just do the homework. I was lazy my first couple years, and my GPA took a hit for it in high school. The work wasn't that hard, I just spent time doing other things instead. I regret that now, as I could have saved some money with scholarships. Thirdly, I would tell myself to be more teachable. I thought I knew everything back then, but there was a lot I could have been taught that would benefit me now. I would have been a more successful student, athlete, and worker. I wish I could go back and tell myself these things, but I suppose my only options now are to look forward.

Going back to 2007 when I was a senior at Bluefield High one thing I would strees would be to take things more seriously! My senior year in high school was a cake walk and I could have used that time to focus more on my future instead of the present. Focusing on the future back then would mean doing what I am doing now; seeking ways to help me finish my education to provide for a successful career. If I could go back to my days when I was a senior in high school I would tell myself to focus on the future! Look for ways to help my pave my successful road to the future.

If I could rewind my past, I would choose a larger school that had more academic opportunities. I would search for a college that had an art history department so that I could have better prepared myself for the post-grad and career opportunities that I know I want to do now, after my four wasted years in undergrad. If I could share advice with my old-self, it would be to acknowledge that I can make friends with anyone, even if they do not appear to look or think like me. Talking to people from other backgrounds and with different opinions and experiences is the best way to discover yourself and to define who you want to be.

MARYJOY

if i could go back to my senior year in high school i will gladly do, because i have made so many mistakes i wish i could be give another chance to correct all them all i. would have done the complete opposite of what i did at that time like i would have went to all my class, ask questions in class but most of all Take more risks i should have had yes i can attitude not the no i cn't attitude which made me not to have faith in myself and steping out of my comfort zone and trying new thing and geting more in involved in school activites and joined me clubs or even more volunteer work in my community. i assume if i would have taken into heart all the advice given to me by mother whose alway adviceing me and try to led me the right path

Brooklyn

One thing I would tell myself is to get involved in the school your first year. Your first year is the time where you get to know people and get involved in the things you want to do throughout the year.

If I could go back to my high school years, I would inform myself to always be humble. Being humble has always been a virtue I have struggled with, however its importance is high nonetheless. As a high school student I was generally very quick on my game, and mentally intense, these circumstances are not the makings for a humble student. My mental quickness made me cocky and arrogant. I learned in my second general chemistry class arrogance does not help a struggling student. My second chemistry class I struggled, more than with any other class thus far in my college career, however I refused to bow down and ask for help. This arrogance is what made my grade a B and not an A. I refused to ask for help because I was arrogant with my intelligence. Being arrogant was hurting me, I quickly learned if I had only humbled myself and asked for help I could have received an A in that class. Humbleness is not only beneficial to gain intelligence, but can be a profound characteristic socially. I wish I could have told myself to humble myself as high school student to benefit me in college.

If I could go back to myself in High School and give myself advice on college I would tell myself to go beyond my towns college and to go after your dream school. There are ton's of art schools out there that want to help you succeed and will help you find the money to help pay for school. I would also tell the high scool version of myself to look for those scholarships outside of school. There are so many more scholarships available to you than just the ones that the councilers office offers. I would tell myself to never give up on going to the school of my dream. I would say that my first instincts on going to Olivet were right and that I knew I wouldn't enjoy going to school there. I would also tell myself to do more art classes so that I would be prepared for the type of work I would have to do in college and to not be able to make excuses on why I can't draw, but I still want to be an art major. I would tell myself that my econmic situation is nothing.

If I could go back and tell my high school senior self something it would be to relax and have fun. When I was a senior I did not realize how much of a change going to college would be. I did not know that it meant spending more hours in a library doing homework in one night than I ever spent doing homework in my whole high school career. This past year it finally clicked with me why most college students live at college and it is because there is no time for anything else but school and homework. I did not think the first year away from home would be as hard as it was and I did not think that making new friends would be such a lengthy process. So I would tell myself to walk slower through the halls with my classmates between classes, to be thankful for the relationships I built with teachers over the past four years, to be kinder to the ones I will probably never see again, and to never leave without saying ‘I love you’ to the ones that mean the most to me.

Marie

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take college seriously. I see alot of students who don't seem to take school seriously. They act like this is high school and that it doesn't matter what kind of grades they get or how they act. They need to know that college is a stepping stone into the business world and they should be learning how to act like responsible adults. The way you act, the grades you get and your attendance in colllege will weigh greatly on how your future employers look at your ability to learn, be responsible and commit yourself to the tasks you are given. You should be prepared to work hard to acheive your goals, because YOU are the one who will reap the benefits in the end.

jaime

Everyday as I begin my routine of taking my 4 children to school and attending my own classes, I always see in passing younger singles and parents that remind me of myself two decades ago. I look at these kids thinking about how I felt just after i graduated from high school, and how the world seemed to have endless possibilities. I watch them spend energy on working long unnatural hours in factories, trying thier best to make the highest factory pay of $13 or $15 dollars. Or I see them wasting thier lives getting involved in extracurricular activities that will eventually lead them down a pathway of crime. If I could have just one chance to meet myself in the past, I would tell her to not give up no matter how frustrating it seems. And to follow her heart and remember that no matter what anyone else thinks she is a powerful independent woman that can achieve whatever she puts her mind too. And when the present begins to seem impossible, I would tell her to always remember that the reason for doing her best and never giving up is for her four beautiful children.

Jordon

If i could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself to relax, and try to be scared walking in on the first day; to be faithful in what I believe in and dont let anyone change how I think or feel. I would listen to my family more, because they are older, wiser and know what they were talking about. I would tell myself do not put my life on hold for my friends and make plans that are probably never going to happen. I would tell myself to study more, that college is really different from high school and that I cant believe what others tell me, because who knows if it is true. I would tell myself to not take advantage of the oppertunity I have been given because there are some who are not as lucky as I am. Everyone is given the oppertunity to get an education, it is your choice to take that oppertunity and make the best of it. And finally I would tell myself to take a stand in what I know, because that is the best way to succeed in life.

Beth

I would have told myself to start off at a community college so I can save money. Also I would have told myself to do what I love and do not take others into consideration when choosing my major and school. I am a junior in college and could have finished the nursing program in one more year, but I am not going to do something that makes me unhappy. I am changing my major to music business. I do not want to necessarily be the one on the stage, but I would love to be the one that makes the magic happen. Working behind the scenes with bands either: managing, producing, copyrighting, working with record labels, etc. would be a dream come true. This work atmosphere and environment would provide me with a place that I would love to wake up and go to every day. I know this industry is very competitive and demanding but I feel like I have the courage, wisdom, passion, and heart to get the job done. I am so excited for this opportunity and I can’t wait to move on to bigger and better things in my life.

Really just push yourself as hard as you can to do your best in school and you will be rewarded when you go to school.

I have gotten so much information from my school. I have learned what I am supposed to do with my life. I have learned so much information. If I did not attend Olivet this past year I would not have learned the information nor would I be the person I am today.

Kellee

The biggest thing I have gotten out of my college experience is independence. I have matured so much and am able to take care of myself. Head knowledge is great, but experience and independence is what will get you the farthest in the real world. College flies by so iin my opinon it is crucial to focus on school work, but also take as many opportunities as you can to try new things and get our of your comfort zone. I feel that I have been able to do this and it has greatly benefited me. I could have stayed home and gone to college nearby and gotten a decent education, but actually living on campus away from your family is where the real experience lies. My school being a dry campus means that I miss out on the so-called "college experience," but I don't think this is true. I think the real college experience is learning who you are and how to take care of yourself.

Martha

Now in my third year of college, I realize that more is to be gained from college than simply an education. While I do view the knowledge that I have received and learned as vitally important and the primary reason I am attending college, I have also gained much socially and spiritually from my college experience. College has given me the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life and also given me a greater tolerance for those who are different than myself. Being at a university has exposed me to different philosophies, ideologies, and theologies, all of which have shaped me into who I am and forced me to know what I believe and why. My college experience has also allowed me to further develop my own personality and who I am, and discover that I have to be myself and as such, won’t always fit in with every social group. Last but not least, attending college has allowed me to make lifelong friends, who support, strengthen, and encourage me to be the best that I can be. Overall, college has taught me that there is more to life than knowledge, or achievement. Life is much more.

I know that I have not been in college for very long, but I have already learned more than I could have imagined. Not only am I learning about different subject areas, but I have learned a lot about myself. This is the first time I have been away from home for more than a week and it took some time to get adjusted; especially since my twin sister is still living at home. The hardest part of coming to college was simply being away from my family in times of trouble. My grandma recently passed away, my sister is sick, and my parents just filed for a divorce. I have had to learn how to rely on God for everything and how to rely on new friends to get me through hard times. Being away at college has taught me how to open up to people I barely know, and trust that they are not going to take advantage of me in a vulnerable state of mind. I am becoming a more interdependent person, and am learning who I really am. I still struggle every day with issues in my life, but I know that I can make it.

Kenzie

I have gotten that I can't do everything on my own and that I need to let God help me even when I feel like I can do it myself.

Shequita

I got lasting relationships with the people on this campus. I got that hard work does pay off, and being in this environment has allowed me to strengthen my relationship with God. I am challenged by my studies and the teachers are very helpful. I have learned that it's important to pick a college that will help you to grow in character, and a curriculum that helps you grow in knowledge. The professors make sure you're well prepared in your chosen field. This experience has been valuable because my spiritual life needed to grow. I needed a balance in school, my personal life, my spiritual life, and even my health. Not many schools can teach you how to use the tools you have been given to accomplish all this, and during this take it that step further. I have been blessed and the school has replenished my thirst for knowledge, as well as success. That's why I value attending this school.

Heidi

Overall, the last few years of my life while in college have been some of the the best years of my life. Not only has my college experience given me the resources and knowledge I need in order to be successful in my future career, I have also learned so much about life, love, and happiness. Through hard work, dedication, and the challenges that come along with it all, I have become spritually, socially, and academically stronger throughout the past few years. My college experience has not only helped me to become a confident individual in this big world, but it has also taught me how an individual like myself can make a huge difference in the lives of others.

My freshman year at Olivet Nazarene University was the most revolutionary year of my life. The Christian community that I experienced really helped me get ahold of what I need to become a good Christian and a successful missionary. My fellow students and professors became quick role models for me. I do not think that I would have gotten that experience at any other university. The ministries on campus and the classroom experiences also helped shape me. My freshman year really helped me define my faith in Christ. This past year also helped me really get an understanding of what I want to do with my ministry in Africa after I graduate.

I have discovered who I am as a person both personally and professionally. Olivet allowed me the chance to grow and change within an environment that was still structured and tailored to my needs rather than the free reign of a public University. I was treated with acceptance and gained friendships that are based on who I am on the inside rather than the outside. The classes gave me the opportunity to explore my interests and discover my true passions which were different than I anticipated when I enrolled at Olivet. I was able to gain a professional network of professors that I will carry with me as I enter into the workforce and that will be available as I establish myself as a professional. It gave me the chance to truly appreciate and value my surroundings, friends and family. I will carrry a piece of Olivet with me for the rest of my life. Olivet is not for everyone, but it's the college that fit who I was and taught me valuable life lessons that no other University could provide.

Cassidy

I would definitely tell myself to SAVE MONEY. Even if you get enough financial aid to cover the cost of school, you will still need money for laundry, movie nights, Starbucks, etc. So saving money early would definitely be a good idea. Also, stick to a routine! Be sure to schedule classes at times that will work for you, and get your homework done! It's okay to miss hanging out with friends for a night to study for your big test the next morning. And one of the most important things is to have fun! Your last year in high school and first year in college are very exciting times, so get involved and make the most of them!

Suppose I could travel back in time. I would travel to May 2009 where I would meet with 18-year-old me. We would sit down at the local coffee shop and proceed to talk about what is going on in 18-year-old me's life. She would tell me how nervous she is about going to a college where she doesn't know anyone. I would listen patiently as she told me how she constantly worries about making friends, getting good grades, being on her own...And when she finished, I would look her in the eye and tell her that she'll be fine. I'd tell her how perfectly God works everything out in the upcoming months, how she will make fantastic friends, and how it IS possible to get a 4.0 your first semester in college. I would tell her to stop worrying, to meet as many people as possible when she gets there, and to enjoy the warm weather while it lasts! I'd encourage her to study hard, but also make time for fun. And when the coffee is gone and the advice has been shared, we will part ways once again.

Jenifer

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college, the first thing I would of told myself was to start college right away. I took about 2 years off and that was a mistake. I would also prepare myself for college by saying it is nothing like high school. The professors email your work to you, you can leave class whenever, but to remember you are paying for your college so you need to make your time worth it. College is very important for your future also. You are paying to get a good education to become successful. So the most important thing I would tell myself about college is that it is something you really need to be motivated for.

Wesley

When it comes to new experiences, there are some things that you simply must experience; no matter what people attempt to tell you, nothing compares to the real thing. I feel that this is the case with college life. Most high school seniors cannot wait until they can leave their problems, worries, and parents behind to start a new life in college. What they do not (and what I did not) realize, however, is that college is a completely different animal from high school. Perhaps the most important lesson that I have learned in my Freshman year is how important self-discipline is. Once you get to college, it is all up to you to finish your homework and study for tests. Mom and Dad are not there to remind you! The sooner you grab ahold of this concept, the easier the transition will be. It will be tempting to simply hang out with friends all the time, but remember--you are here to get an education! Homework and classes first, and there will be plenty of time for socializing later. Enjoy your college career!

Tina

Be the very best that you can be. Do not cut corners, do not give up on your dreams. Make the sacrifice and go to college right out of high school do not put it off. I know that going to work and collecting a pay check looks good now. However going ahead and finishing college is going to be much more rewarding, you will see it pay off in the end.

Geoff

I would tell myself that I need to ork harder in high school to be more prepared for college and have better grades, study habits, and a better knowledge for everything. That I needed to study for the ACT harder so I could succeed and have a better chance at different scholarships.

Some of my friends had a hard time with their college experience. For some of them, it was their financial situation. For others, it was their grades. I have never been the smartest person, but I always worked hard for the grades I got, and my family and I have never been had the best luck monetarily. So naturally, I was nervous about the upcoming year. If I could go back in time, I would remind myself that if there is a will, there is a way. Too often, people just accept the positions that they are in and do not work to make a better life for themselves. I refuse to be one of those people.

Dara

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to stick to my studies and try my best to get grades that are worthy. Being involved in sports is not the only thing I should be concentrating on. Taking classes just to get by and receive a diploma is not the way to go. Planning for college by taking classes that will help me succeed as a college student is important. Looking into colleges and what types of courses they offer is a way for me to decide what degree program I want to enter; and what high school classes I should take to get ready. Study, study, study.

College life is not just about having fun. There are parties and fun activities but they cannot dominate your college career. It is vitally important that High School students understand this. College is the beginning of financial independence. To waste your money on parties and activities alone is foolish. High School students should start saving their money as soon as they can. I have known several students who have not taken money into consideration. They spent their money on frivolous things and they ended up having to drop out of college because they didn't have the money to pay for it. College is a great start to a promising future but it is hard work. Saving money and being financially smart is the first step to promising a full and fruitful college experience.

I adore college. College is a big step, one of the biggest things you will do in your life, but do not worry. It is not near as hard as I thought it would be. There is so much to be involved in and there are so many wonderful people that there is no doubt that you will find many friends. Everyone here is so caring and they do all they can to help you through whatever is happening in your life. Yes you will miss home, but that is what is great about e-mail, facebook, and telephones. This school is the perfect fit for you and yes it is hard, and those 7:30 a.m. classes start catching up to you, but there is always time for a nap later on. When you get to college, make sure you get involved. That is how you meet the amazing people that surround you and make up this community that is there for you no matter what happens.

If I were to go back to my senior year, I would tell myself to not be afraid of what college is all about. I would be more excited to learn about new people and a new campus. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to talk to others and learn about people as much as I could by becoming friends with as many people as I could, or just learning more about people. Overall, I would tell myself not to be so worried about college and go into being excited for the adventure that was to come.

I would tell myself to make friends in the beginning, because once the work starts to pile up you really value the time you get to spend with your friends. I would also tell myself to find a church to attend regularly as soon as I got to campus, because sometimes the temptation to sleep in on Sunday morning is overwhelming. Finally, I would tell myself that the first semester really does matter, and that if you start with a good GPA, it will be easier to maintain it as you progress through your college career. Put your all into everything so that when you finish, you know you did your very best, and dont regret anything.

stephanie

I would tell myself that attendence is important and to go to class every single day. I would tell myself to push harder and pass every class. Also, working during the summer to make extra cash would be really helpful. A laptop would be very useful so get that before college starts and know how to use programs like blackboard and other stuff. That is what I would tell myself.

nancy

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say "All the choices i'm making are impacting my life for the future. Stop messing around all those times I did and study for test's and class work, learn how to mange my time better and learn how to be independet. If I have a question ask for help even if it's the simplest thing. learn how to mange my money better and know what I do one day will impact my next day. That even when things get hard not to give up, don't look stupid or post dumb things on personal websites because people are watching. The road is going to be hard, tough but in the end it's going to be worth it. And finally becarful for the actions that happen, the way you write and way you speak for it be a habit and has high impact in your life". Thats what I will say to myself if I go back in time as a senior knowing how my college life will be.

Khue

Getting the right class for your major is really hard and choosing a college to go to is even harder when u don't know where to go. In high school, I have never try to do my bests. I alway studies at the last minute before a test or quiz. I didn't do all my homework and classwork. I just wanted to graduate from high school as fast as i can. I have thought about which college to go to but i never really choose which i want to go to. If I can go back in time, the advice i will give myself is don't be lazy, study hard, find a college you want to go, do a lot of scholarship, and don't rush through high school or you'll regret it.

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a senior there are a few pieces of advice I would have. The most important is to be a bit more careful with how you spend your money. There will come a time when you really need books and do not know where the money is going to come from. You may think you need that new t-shirt, but really it will only be another piece of clothing not really needed. Do not be stingy, be smart! Another piece of advice would be to not worry so much. Everything that is supposed to happen will work out in time. Be open to new possibilities and meeting new people. College will be an amazing experience, so do not stress about fitting in or finding classes. Also, remember that you are blessed. Do not take for granted the moments you get to spend with your family. Pay attention to your siblings and love on them while you can. They really do love you and will miss you as much as you will miss them. Oh, and dress warm!