Olivet Nazarene University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Olivet Nazarene University

Heather

It is a great school! They encourage you to do great things and get involved. There is so much to do on campus, and it is always bustling with activities. The community on campus is phenomenal and you just can't get anything like it. They are a private Christian college, with at first may seem like a drawback, but it has been an absolutely wonderful experience going here.

Daniel

I think it is a good school with a Christian atmosphere for the most part. It is not very strict and there are many options where the initially strict rules become very relaxed. They do provide a positive influence and can be very helpful and supportive. The professors are very supportive and helpful as well.

Ryan

It is a great place to grow not only academically but spiritually as well. If I was aiming for purely an academic school, to be as honest it is not the best option. It is an average liberal arts college in that aspect. However, I do not take for granted the fact that it is a school where most students are not prioritizing the party scene over academics.

Kelsey

It is a great school. The atmosphere is great. Everyone is so friendly and the professors are so personable and get to know you.

Brandy

I love it. Honestly, the general education classes are harder, personally for me. The major courses that you need to take are super fun and easy. The professors really care about what you have to say and they love having fun and goofing off with the students. Their doors are usually always open. If not, you can always reach them by e-mail and they are very responsive. When I couldn't walk and take my exams at the end of the semester, my profs. totally understood and made accommodations for me to take it when I get back from break. The custodial staff is super sweet. The lady who attends my residence building is one of my closer friends. The staff here is amazing. The students are kind of cliche, like high school. But I do see people making new friends almost daily. I met 4 of my best friends here within a week of me knowing them! I am only a freshman, but I can tell that this is where I was meant to be. I hope you end up coming here too!

Vanessa

ONU is a great place to get a Christian education. There is a place for all students to find their niche and there are all sorts of clubs and activities to join. The staff and faculty are kind and helpful, and the student leaders make Olivet a safe and great place.

Charity

I really love Olivet Nazarene University. All the professors are happy to help when needed, and encourage group work and discussion to find help from other class mates as well. I also have really enjoyed the religious side of the school, the Chaplin is great and before every class the prof prays and it is just a wonderful experience. It's a great environment to grow in every way.

ONU is a bubble of a university that attempts to conform everyone by shoving them through a tight religiously conservative chute. Even the courses that should have expressed excitement for a well-rounded unbiased sociology/psychology of the topic to better prepare their students for the "real world," came up very short. Even being a Christian at the time, it was all too much to bare.

Devin

Olivet Nazarene University is an exceptional school in Bourbonnais, Illinois. The college campus is decently sized and is beautiful as the grounds are consistently kept up. Besides the campus the atmosphere between the students, staff, faculty, and administration is very cohesive and warm. The experience so far has been a great one.

Olivet is a great school. The English department is full of amazing people and the professors really care. The tuition can be a little expensive, but they are always giving out scholarships. The school financial aid department is willing to sit down with you and talk about your options. I wish the school was little more diverse, but I believe that is something they are working on.

Matthew

Honestly, I love Olivet Nazarene University and I would not pick any other school. I know Olivet has its downfalls and problems, but overall, I think it is still a fantastic school. Olivet offers a lot of groups, clubs, volunteer opportunities, internships, intramural sports, etc. There is something for every student. One downfall is our diversity. Since it is a private, Nazarene school, it tends to draw in a lot of Nazarenes and other predominately white denominations. We do not have much diversity, but we welcome all people and encourage all to come. It has been improving over the last three years I've attended. I greatly enjoy the education with a Christian purpose and focus. The faculty and staff not only care about your academics, but also care for your salvation and morality. I greatly appreciate the relationships I have with my professors.

Sara

I love it here, but I know its not for every one. No drinking or drug policy, but there are some people who still do it but off campus. People are really nice and caring enviornment

Elisa

I love Olivet Nazarene University. I have had many amazing experiences here and I am grateful for the respectful, loving community of people there. Everyone wants to make you feel loved, accepted, and included. I have met some of my best friends and ONU and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything else in the world.

Zach

I love it here! It's a great atmosphere, and the faculty and staff really make you feel like part of their family, for the most part. I switched majors after my first semester, and it was no hassle, and I'm loving it even more! The housing is adequate, as is the food, and there are plenty of off-campus dining options nearby if you're not a fan of the cafeteria.

I love my university. It has a great, welcoming student body, and there is such a close, tightly knit atmosphere. The class size is small, so far my largest gen ed class has been about 100 students. The professors are involved in the community and campus life and truly care abut helping their students succeed in the classroom and outside it.

Marlena

I have lived seven minutes away from this university for my entire life, and because of this, I have always disregarded it as a serious option. Over the course of my studies, however, I have gradually grown more attached and invested in my scholarship at Olivet. The university is located in a rather bland town, but the on-campus activities clearly make up for what the location lacks. Events are constantly happening so that the students can participate and grow together. This is also a religiously affiliated university, so there are some strict values that are followed by all students. These values can be seen in the rules that are in place regarding dress codes, separated dorms and apartment buildings for men and women, and the policy regarding drugs and alcohol. Academically, I think this university is doing an excellent job at keeping up to date on the latest studies and immersing their students in their majors. Class sizes are exceptionally small, which can be high pressure if you are shy, but truthfully, you are able to learn more deeply by communicating with professors and receiving more personalized attention. The professors clearly want to help you succeed; they are invested in you as long as you are invested in the study. Not all the classes are easy, but when you finish a class that was particularly difficult, then you feel that much more capable. This university is catering to a sect of students who are serious about their academic life and hope to grow closer to God in their studies. If you are looking to party every Friday and forget your tests on Monday, it's probably best to look somewhere else.

Jacquelynn

I love it here! From the moment I stepped on campus, I had people who were genuinely interested in my success - including academic advisers, RAs, RDs, professors, counselors, class chaplains, and a ton of students who had no other reason to reach out to me! The environment is so filled with joy and love.

Grace

I absolutely love Olivet Nazarene University. The campus feels like home and it is a great friendly environment. Everyone single person you see at Olivet is friendly and very welcoming. You can stop anyone you see and ask for directions or help with anything and they will help!

It's a great school with great people and great facilities. We have many activities to do and it's a great environment. Everyone is accepting and helpful. The education is fantastic and our president is very involved. Our public safety team is fantastic.

Since being at Olivet, my faith has only grown stronger. Being on campus surrounded by positive people only makes you feel at peace. My professors know my name and they’re here to help me succeed. This school isn’t easy but I love to be challenged. I would rather be challenged than have everything be too easy. I feel well prepared and excited after getting advice from professors about graduate school. Chapel speakers are very inspirational and I love the diversity. Each speaker is different yet their testimony always touches my heart. I love the community as it makes you feel at home.

Mackenzie

I love Olivet and it has been a great experience there, the only thing that I wish was better was the cost, activities, and additional help for life after college.

It is a wonderful school. The atmosphere is so welcoming and open to anyone. We are all a family and nobody is left out. You will never feel homesick here at Olivet because it becomes your home away from home. If I had the chance to redo college, I would still pick Olivet.

Andrew

Olivet is a good school for someone who is looking for a good education with Christian opportunities to take advantage of during their stay at the university. There is not much emphasis on extracurricular activities or sporting events. At most they are mentioned in chapel but are not frequently focused on. The student body disappears on the weekends, almost nobody is on campus.

Amy

I personally love Olivet Nazarene University and after being here for just one semester so far it already feels like home. The students and faculty here are extremely friendly and welcoming. The chapel services are very interesting and offer a chance to worship and learn.

Mark

If you want to go to boarding school this place is the next closest thing. Mandatory chapel, curfew, dress code, no women allowed in dorms or apartments, RA's even in the off campus housing and there is nothing fun to do in town. This school costs $44,000 dollars and is not a good bang for your buck. The food is prison food and your meal plan is unsatisfactory.

Tess

Olivet Nazarene University is a great school with a beautiful campus and challenging classes. It is a private, liberal arts, christian college that truly does prepare you for your overall future life and career. I would most definitely recommend attending a campus visit; and better yet, I would recommend making it your college of choice.

Ana

Olivet Nazarene University is a great place to be. There are a lot of great people and things to do, if you have time. Olivet is a great place to study with a Christian purpose, most professors are open to faith and it is welcome in classes. We believe you belong here!

Olivet Nazarene University is a safe and perfect learning environment for any college student who wishes to avoid the secular part of adulthood. I love how we try to incorporate God into anything we learn about and that we have strict rules against drinking, doing drugs, or cursing.

Robert

I love Olivet Nazarene so much ! It is my dream college and I couldn't thank the lord enough to being able to go there and meeting great people! Even though it is very expensive I would pay anything to keep attending there. Also , not just the people I love but the professors is a lot of help when it comes to academics.

Britten

Olivet Nazarene University is a fantastic undergraduate and graduate university. Our motto is "Education with a Christian purpose." People here really do care unlike large state schools where class sizes make it almost impossible to have a relationship with professors/faculty. Student to faculty ratio is 17:1. There are so many opportunities to stay involved outside of classes including Ollies Follies, a huge class competition at the beginning of the year. I love this school and I only just finished my Sophomore year. If you're considering a liberal arts college please look into Olivet. You'll love it.

Tyra

Overall, Olivet is a great college to attend. The atmosphere is positive, friendly, and Christian like. Everyone on campus is outgoing. Professors are able to help whenever they can and tend to form a personal relationship with their students. There’s always something to do on or around campus to keep busy.

Bob

The communication profs are back handed and passive aggressive, especially Dr j. God help you if you get on his bad side. He will tell you the world is all perfect and then destroy you the next sec. if you can, do not choose anything with Dr. J. It is a game to him. If you must, suck up to him as long as you need to make his ego feel better.

Jacob

Olivet Nazarene University provides ample opportunity for a student to learn and also expand their knowledge across all of the spectrum of life. There is always something to do on Campus and the faculty is pushing students to do more than just study. Campus life is extremely friendly and fun.

Samuel

A very good school but if you are looking for a party school, look elsewhere. The college has many rules being a Christian school but most of the students are normal people. There will always be a group you can be with whether you are an athlete, computer kid, or arts major.

Kylie

I absolutely love Olivet, by far the best school I visited!!! The chapel services are amazing and they have a FANTASTIC worship team. The buildings are nice, not too fancy, but not too run down. The classes are small, but not minute. There is a great variety of food to choose from. I absolutely LOVE IT!

Olivet is pretty great! I like my professors and there are some seriously awesome people here! My RA is wonderful, too! It's a beautiful campus, and even the cafeteria food is good! Chapel music is great, and the school hosts a lot of awesome speakers!

Marcella

I think it is an excellent school for someone who doesn't mind a very small campus with little to do on the weekends. You have to get involved. The food in the cafeteria is not that great, there are a few spots around campus that you could go to instead. The teachers are nice, but will only help you if you ask for it.

Mariah

Olivet is truly just as pretty in real-life as the marketing booklets show. We have a wonderfully tight-knit community. Since class sizes are smaller, you get the chance to actually get to know the people and professors around you, which makes the academics side 10 times more fun!

Jacob

Olivet Nazarene University staff cares for the student. There are activities happening every night. If you want a good experience with a college, I would go to Olivet Nazarene University. They have professional cooks for meals. The housing is amazing and Olivet Nazarene University has a good Engineering program.

Kathryn

I love Olivet Nazarene University so much! If you are looking for a school or a college with a Christian education mission and a heart for Christ, Olivet is an option for you! I am currently a freshman at ONU and I am so grateful that I got to come here! While the price for this school tends to be a little on the steeper end, there are a LOT of scholarship options and money available to students. There is no Greek Life at ONU, which is not something that bothers me. I know that it bothers some students, but Greek Life was never something that interested me. There is also a no drinking or smoking on campus, and if you are found doing these things, you could be expelled. Olivet has a pretty strict dress code, which is, again, something I do not mind, but I know there are some people who are irked that we’re not allowed to wear shorts in academic buildings. Olivet is 50 miles South of Chicago, and you can take the train there for around $8 on the weekend! There is also a lot to do around the school!! Olivet is located in Bourbonnais, Illinois, and has a VERY cold winter; but it is so beautiful outside. The weather in the summer is warmer, but there is still that Chicago breeze! All in all, Olivet Nazarene University is a good school for those who are looking for a simple, private, Christian education. It is a beautiful campus and I know we would be thrilled if you came next year!

Alexia

It is a wonderful school filled with many opportunities to fit the needs of everyone. Students and faculty work hand in hand to created an open environment . The activities are also very inclusive, they offer experience to not only those that are athletic but those that just enjoy hanging out.

Kendyll

I love it and am very excited to be going there in the future. It has a great engineering program and that is what I am going there for. Also, they have many programs there that I am interested in, like a marching brand and intramural sports. The staff and students there are incredibly warm and welcoming as well. It feels like a good home and a good place to spend the next four years at.

Elliot

Olivet Nazarene University is about as great of a Christian University as you can get. If you're looking to grow in your faith, this place definitely has the atmosphere for you to do it in. If you're not Christian or not very serious about your faith, there is still a super friendly atmosphere that provides a Christian environment without shoving it down your throat. They do have their rules, and they expect you to stick by them, but overall, great college, 9/10.

Emma

Olivet Nazarene University serves as a stable place for youth to grow into adulthood during, arguably, some of the most crucial years of an individual's life. Olivet welcomes any and all individuals and helps them discover who they are, who they want to be, who they're meant to be, and how to reach their academic goals.

Diana

I liked the education I received, but sometimes I did feel like some professors just gave us an easy A and didn't care if we learned anything. There were certain classes that I was more passionate about than others, and I felt like I learned a lot in those. The thing that stood out to me the most about this school is that the professors actually care about your well-being and your personal life. It's a very nurturing atmosphere.

Tatum

Olivet is a great school and accepting of all. They strive to be the best for the students an any way. There is plenty to do there of all kinds of things. The environment is great as well, because of the people always doing something and housing and it being so cozy.

Kyle

Olivet is a great Christian Nazarene College, with the ability to progress students spiritual knowledge and relationship with God. Along, with progressing their academic knowledge leading them to their life-long careers. So if I had to rate Olivet Nazarene university I would give them a solid five.

Kenneth

Great school

Anonymous

Recruitment for this school is fantastic, but it is nothing I actually pictured it being, and I know a ton of people who feel the same way too. They milk you for your scholarship money, and you still pay far too much. If you are caught drinking or being around alcohol, they suspend you and send you to counseling, I’ve never known someone who has just gotten a warning. In order to hang out with someone of the opposite sex, you have to have a third person in the room, door wide open, only allowed in the living room, little to none PDA, a monitor comes around and checks on you, and only during specific hours - dorms and apartments. If you break the rules, it’s a suspension and rarely a warning, sometimes community service too. You are also kicked out of you get pregnant - good Christian response? Myself and plenty of friends have been tattled on for breaking such rules, and when you do, the school treats it as a huge sin. My RD said she was very disappointed in me when I accidentally fell asleep at my boyfriends apartment trying to take care of him while he was sick and had a horrible day. I was going to be suspended, but got lucky since it was the end of the school year. A friend of mine was tattled on for studying with her boyfriend in the living room by another girl in the building during non-apartment hours. The girls for the majority are judgmental, snobby, manipulative, gossipy, tattletales, and act as if the rules define your faith. I’ve had so many girls stab me in the back, gossip and spread rumors about me, manipulate me, use me, tattle. During my introductory meeting for apartment living, one of the RD’s going over dress code said if we wear halter backs, crop tops, shorts above fingertip length, show cleavage, tank tops, we are (and I quote) scandalous cows, have no self respect, and tempt our brothers in Christ. Asked my boyfriend, and their rules are no shorts before 4:30 for classes. Nothing about respecting women with their eyes. Chapel is mandatory, they fine you if you miss more than three times a semester and it’s two days every week. You don’t get credit for it. Chapel is also at 9:30/10:00 am, which is quite early for some people, and if you have classes at 12 like me it’s white and inconvenience. They fine you for anything you do wrong. I could give story after story about friends and my own personal experiences from people claiming to be Christians and display the opposite. But for their privacy and mine, I will not share those stories. Despite these horrible qualities, the education level is very high with professors who genuinely care about the students, which makes up a lot for the community. I’ve had so many professors offer to meet with me, and they don’t cross inappropriate boundaries - nothing to fear with sexual harassment, sexual assault, etc. They take time to talk with you, pray with you, help you with homework assignments, invite you to dinner, and have had a lot of experience within the fields they are teaching, in turn giving you a great education. In my years at Olivet, there has only been a few handful of teachers I’ve had that are mean, and E number of good outweighs the bad. In terms of living spaces, the dorms are gross and dirty, not to mention the girls bathrooms. You can forget about having a significant other and getting privacy if you live in the dorms. The off campus apartments for the most part are fantastic - clean, nothing breaking (they don’t fix things fast at all - have had a work order in for a month and nothing has been done), beautiful kitchen and larger living space, plus the guys are a lot more relaxed with rules. Still, they are really tight with rules, especially the girls, you get busted for everything. I’m not a negative Nancy. I honestly love God, he has blessed me with meeting a wonderful man and growing in such confidence through these years at Olivet. But know what you’re in for - this place is not a great Christian community. There are some fantastic people, but the majority is Pharisees (biblical term for people who claim Christ but are too focused on their actions and rules). I feel horrible for the students attending this school who don’t have a relationship with God. If I wasn’t a Christian, or if I based my faith on those around me, I would want nothing to do with following Jesus.